Brutally honest, forget its me posting this - who is disappointed in our transfers ?

alpine_saint

The ignore button is a wonderful thing. Suddenly the world seems calmer, more rational, more optimistic, there is more patience and more enjoyment.

Also, you can play a fun little game where you read how the thread is going, then try to guess what Alpines latest post moans about, or to what degree he claims to have been brilliantly right all along. Thus far I have a 100% success rate.

"Hey everyone, look at meeee!!"

Really, I never understood why some people have such a low pain threshold where the written word and opinion is concerned. But whatever floats your boat...

28 days of the window remaining, well over two months since the season ended.

Can we start panicking yet ?

No......I will be slightly miffed if at the end of transfer + loan window we havn't added the cover we need but I seriously believe that within the next 28 days we will bring in two or three players

I also think that the new PL 25 man squad limits has had a ripple on effect this summer as many clubs will be waiting to see who doesn't make the cut for their prospective squads so I can see lots of loan window deals going on all over the place.

Hey Mr Kraken, why don't you try actually reading what I had written before you have a go! Where did I say that he had played every minute of every game?

I know he has been coming off of the bench, my point is though, that he is now getting first team action at Reading whereas before he came to us he was no where near even the bench at the Majedski, so obviously Mcdermott has seen enough progression in him to think he has a place in their first 16 now, at a club which is a division higher than ours! The game he was subbed in, he only came off as he had picked up a strain which then kept him out of their next friendly. I admit that I may have been wrong about the amount of goals he has scored, but I am sure that I read somewhere that he had scored a goal in one of their local friendlies, so apologies if I got that wrong.

My point though is that he is obviously consistently showing Mcdermott enough to be considered a part of a first team squad which will be playing at a higher level than us next season, so that shows a large progression from where he was 12 months ago. But I agree he is not the finished product yet.

I can also see Turkish's point re Puncheon, but think the analogy is flawed as Puncheon isn't fit to lace Matty's boots in terms of ability. Whereas when Matt wasn't playing well he could turn a game with one kick, Puncheon is no where near his level of ability and when he is playing badly, he just doesn't seem to want to try. Plus he bottles out of way too many 50/50's and even some 60/40's, something that the coaching staff put right where Antonio was concerned.

I only hope we can still work out a deal with Reading for him and would pay what they ask within reason. The same goes for Papa, as I think they would both be very useful assets in the championship as well as this division.

You said he is figuring regularly and scored four or five goals and was consistantly delivering at a higher level, when in fact he has scored two goals, one of which was against a reserve team back four, which we know for a fact it was as it was our reserve team back four! That is not consistantly delivering at a higher level however you dress it up.

As for my analogy of MLT v Puncheon of course they are worlds apart in terms of ability one is a League one player (that is where we are dont forget) and one was one of the best players this country has every produced. My point being that Puncheon has that same type of ability, albeit at a much lower level and he has proved this in the past, i think it was the Charlton game where he was crap yet he set up the goal out of nothing and we won 1-0. I think you need a player in the side who is a little bit different and offers that, even if you sometimes they are a 5/10, other times they will be a 9/10,

i think it was the Charlton game where he was crap yet he set up the goal out of nothing and we won 1-0. I think you need a player in the side who is a little bit different and offers that, even if you sometimes they are a 5/10, other times they will be a 9/10,

Absolutely. In the championship, we had a side full of 7/10 consistent players but nobody who was prepared to try something a bit different to create something. That was such a frustrating team to watch.

You started panicking the day the window opened.

To be fair I think he did give it at least a week or two before throwing his first strop about the lack of transfers.

I'm still mystified as to why we would have to panic at all. Leaving aside the fact that AP has said he wants to bring in 2 or 3 more players, we are an Antonio type player short of how we finished last season. Connolly is now fit so fills in the Waigo hole we had (and does it much better IMO), and we have more options in other areas of the pitch that we simply didn't have last year.

What on earth is panic inducing about that?

To be fair I think he did give it at least a week or two before throwing his first strop about the lack of transfers.

I'm still mystified as to why we would have to panic at all. Leaving aside the fact that AP has said he wants to bring in 2 or 3 more players, we are an Antonio type player short of how we finished last season. Connolly is now fit so fills in the Waigo hole we had (and does it much better IMO), and we have more options in other areas of the pitch that we simply didn't have last year.

Agree Kracken- my only concern is CM as I think it's very important to have cover for MS and DH- Wotton isn't a long term solution and doesn't push MS and DH. It would be great to have someone to come in and do more than a job if there is injury/suspension and to also push for a starting place in the team....I'm sure we are looking though but should imagine that it's difficult to find someone who is good enough and happy to fight for a starting spot

So,

You see no need for more CM options ?

You think Connolly will stay fit ?

You think the Antonio situation is easily solved that you can dismiss it so easily ? Why hasnt AP done it then ?

So,

You see no need for more CM options ?

You think Connolly will stay fit ?

You think the Antonio situation is easily solved that you can dismiss it so easily ? Why hasnt AP done it then ?

No, no Alps, AP Has done nothing, or at best half arsed, you said so yourself earlier.

Agree Kracken- my only concern is CM as I think it's very important to have cover for MS and DH- Wotton isn't a long term solution and doesn't push MS and DH. It would be great to have someone to come in and do more than a job if there is injury/suspension and to also push for a starting place in the team....I'm sure we are looking though but should imagine that it's difficult to find someone who is good enough and happy to fight for a starting spot

Don't get me wrong, I still very much would like to see three more players here, as 99% of posters on this board would seem to also. I just find it remarkable that so much is made of the squad from last year compared to this year, there seems to be a complete bypass of reality when comparing the two. We're short of a third CM; Carter has been on trial so we can assume it's being looked at. We're short of Antonio; AOC has come in but I'd still like to see a more developed player come in, but apparently so would AP so it's being looked at. And we have three of teh best strikers in the league, Connolly wasn't fit for much of last year but is now, and we're rumoured to be in for a 4th striker. Panic indeed.

This squad would be much better with 3 extra players, but to imply that it's sub-par without them is an ignorant view.

Don't get me wrong, I still very much would like to see three more players here, as 99% of posters on this board would seem to also. I just find it remarkable that so much is made of the squad from last year compared to this year, there seems to be a complete bypass of reality when comparing the two. We're short of a third CM; Carter has been on trial so we can assume it's being looked at. We're short of Antonio; AOC has come in but I'd still like to see a more developed player come in, but apparently so would AP so it's being looked at. And we have three of teh best strikers in the league, Connolly wasn't fit for much of last year but is now, and we're rumoured to be in for a 4th striker. Panic indeed.

This squad would be much better with 3 extra players, but to imply that it's sub-par without them is an ignorant view.

This squad, which at the end of last season was stronger than it is now, had trouble breaking down teams of hod-carriers that parked the bus. We have a lot of evenings and afternoons of that coming this season.

Bit of an exaggeration, but even if it were not, it wasnt me making noises about sorting things out early and hitting the ground running...

I can only assume I'm missing the irony in this post??!!

Nothing but rumours, no solid transfer activity, gaps in the team to fill as usual (this case RB and CM).

Pre-season around the corner, and "gelling" until October ensuring no automatic promotion.

We need to start this season on our feet and already running, and the same old b*ll*cks is occuring.

This squad, which at the end of last season was stronger than it is now, had trouble breaking down teams of hod-carriers that parked the bus. We have a lot of evenings and afternoons of that coming this season.

On odd occasions it did. On odd occasions it beat the league champions on their own ground. And over 36 games (not your nit picking of 3 or 4 bad performances) it averaged championship winning form.

It's your opinion that the squad is weaker, not mine. Antonio is a big miss at the moment, Waigo much less so for me. Connolly back is a big plus, Dickson at LM looks great, AOC looks very promising, plus the right back spot is much secure. Swings and roundabouts in terms of squad strength.

On odd occasions it did. On odd occasions it beat the league champions on their own ground. And over 36 games (not your nit picking of 3 or 4 bad performances) it averaged championship winning form.

It's your opinion that the squad is weaker, not mine. Antonio is a big miss at the moment, Waigo much less so for me. Connolly back is a big plus, Dickson at LM looks great, AOC looks very promising, plus the right back spot is much secure. Swings and roundabouts in terms of squad strength.

We'll see on Saturday wont we ? Actions will speak louder than words.

We'll see on Saturday wont we ? Actions will speak louder than words.

That's the thing though, we won't see on Saturday. A Saints win 4-0 won't prove you wrong in exactly the same way as a defeat won't prove you right. The season is over 46 games, and as you yourself have admitted we already have a very good team to kick off the season with. Would we be better served with added reinforcements? Of course. But they're not here now so we put faith in the very good team we have. Antonio missed a lot of games last season through injury but we did ok in those, so why not this season? I really don't get it.

Actions of all 46 games will speak louder than words, but I'm glad my upcoming holidays mean that I'll be avoiding the b1tch fest that will ensue one way or the other on here in the next 3 or 4 weeks.

Edited by The Kraken

When NC went on holiday a few people joked that there would be no transfer activity until he got back - do you now think this is actually the case - that we have signed no one coz NC is away - I would like to think not but - it would seem to fit the profile that is being portrayed of him

Most of us realise that buying the right player is not like flicking a switch - usually negotiations are protracted and depend on the selling club finding a replacement before selling. We also know that Saints are working away behind the scenes on transfers- Carter's trial is evidence that they are looking for the high quality CM that you have been calling for and that AP himself has been quoted numerous times as wanting.

We have a strong 18 for the first matches of the season - Davis, Butterfield, Fonte, Jaiidi, Harding, Puncheon, Schneiderlin, Hammond, Dickson, Lambert, Barnard, Bart (IMO he will sign before Saturday), Seabourne, Martin, Connolly, Wotton, AOC, Mills. IMO that is as strong as the last month of last season - especially in defence.

You can start panicking if you want but I think your argument will be disputed by the majority and not just because of your track record on here.

think the injuries for saturday will show how good this squad is. If we can perform without Lallana, Morgan, Lambert and Puncheon then we are doing well.

Most of us realise that buying the right player is not like flicking a switch - usually negotiations are protracted and depend on the selling club finding a replacement before selling. We also know that Saints are working away behind the scenes on transfers- Carter's trial is evidence that they are looking for the high quality CM that you have been calling for and that AP himself has been quoted numerous times as wanting.

We have a strong 18 for the first matches of the season - Davis, Butterfield, Fonte, Jaiidi, Harding, Puncheon, Schneiderlin, Hammond, Dickson, Lambert, Barnard, Bart (IMO he will sign before Saturday), Seabourne, Martin, Connolly, Wotton, AOC, Mills. IMO that is as strong as the last month of last season - especially in defence.

You can start panicking if you want but I think your argument will be disputed by the majority and not just because of your track record on here.

Alanh, am not disagreeing with your points above, but Norwich last season showed that a squad can be built in a short space of time, as they signed four players on one day and two others in the same week.

So these things do not have to take three months to sort out, especially as we have an expensively put together scouting system to do most of the work for Pardew. Two questions can be asked in relation to this: 1.Did Cortese tell Pardew not to make any transfer approaches while he was on holiday, and 2. Does Pardew have any faith in the scouting reports he is receiving? If No1 is anywhere near the truth, then perhaps Mr Cortese should be taking his holiday earlier in line with when AP and the players did. And if the second is true then one of AP or the scouting system needs

Changing.

We still lack experienced players with pace, and it's no good getting just one either, we have already got enough injuries to key players to show that we need depth in the squad. Last season when Antonio got injured we still had Papa to give us that pace, at the moment if Chamberlain gets crocked we have no one to replace a player who isn't ready and shouldn't have the pressure on him to play every game.

Alanh, am not disagreeing with your points above, but Norwich last season showed that a squad can be built in a short space of time, as they signed four players on one day and two others in the same week.

So these things do not have to take three months to sort out, especially as we have an expensively put together scouting system to do most of the work for Pardew. Two questions can be asked in relation to this: 1.Did Cortese tell Pardew not to make any transfer approaches while he was on holiday, and 2. Does Pardew have any faith in the scouting reports he is receiving? If No1 is anywhere near the truth, then perhaps Mr Cortese should be taking his holiday earlier in line with when AP and the players did. And if the second is true then one of AP or the scouting system needs

Changing.

We still lack experienced players with pace, and it's no good getting just one either, we have already got enough injuries to key players to show that we need depth in the squad. Last season when Antonio got injured we still had Papa to give us that pace, at the moment if Chamberlain gets crocked we have no one to replace a player who isn't ready and shouldn't have the pressure on him to play every game.

I don't recall the Norwich situation, but that has got to be the exception rather than the rule. In the vast majority of cases transfers take a while and given our situation they are likely to take longer if the selling club is trying to extract more money from us that the market value of a player just because we are considered wealthy. The key point I was making related to whether we should be panicking yet. IMO we shouldn't because there is evidence of intent to get players in from AP's interviews and evidence of action from the three signings so far and from Carter's trial

Your questions on the transfer policy / scouting system are speculative at best and I can't add any opinion one way or the other without guessing.

No-one is disputing that we need players in. AP has said he wants players in and I believe that we will get them. Based on our track record over the last year we (the fans) won't know much about the background workings of those transfers until they happen - we need to learn to live with that situation.

The point about if AOC gets crocked could apply to any important player in any team. It's impossible to buy in ready made replacements to cover every eventuality.

Changing.

Well in that case then why are people panicking as we only want 2-3 players, it doesn't matter if we sign them 31st of May or the 31st of August.

I don't recall the Norwich situation, but that has got to be the exception rather than the rule. In the vast majority of cases transfers take a while and given our situation they are likely to take longer if the selling club is trying to extract more money from us that the market value of a player just because we are considered wealthy. The key point I was making related to whether we should be panicking yet. IMO we shouldn't because there is evidence of intent to get players in from AP's interviews and evidence of action from the three signings so far and from Carter's trial

Your questions on the transfer policy / scouting system are speculative at best and I can't add any opinion one way or the other without guessing.

No-one is disputing that we need players in. AP has said he wants players in and I believe that we will get them. Based on our track record over the last year we (the fans) won't know much about the background workings of those transfers until they happen - we need to learn to live with that situation.

The point about if AOC gets crocked could apply to any important player in any team. It's impossible to buy in ready made replacements to cover every eventuality.

100% agree. In fact f*ck it, you've just won most sensible post of the the day.

When NC went on holiday a few people joked that there would be no transfer activity until he got back - do you now think this is actually the case - that we have signed no one coz NC is away - I would like to think not but - it would seem to fit the profile that is being portrayed of him

We signed Butterfield after Cortese went on holiday. That's if he ever really went on holiday, as he actually went out to Switzerland for at least part of the time we were there.

I think there are some very valid points from Alan. However i think the reason we as fans are slightly dissapointed is because i invisaged us getting our transfer work done early and bedding the boys in pre season.

I know it often doesn't work like that but fans cast longing eyes towards teams like the Udders and Sheff wed who have added 7 new faces.

Obviously that is not to say that they are going to be better than what we have and add to the fact we probabaly have the better squad anyway but it is also obvious to see the glaring needs in the team.

I think that as a pretty intelligent and knowledable fan we could of done a bit more than what we have currently done.

We have no doubt upgraded in defence despite signing a player who is now injured, however Butters and Dickson look decent. I still worry about centre half and a quality partner for Fonte.

Jaidi is capable of 30 games tops and he is looking a bit shaky lately. Seabourne looks to be the first bad signing of Pards and not of the appropiate quality, Martin looks good but is very in-experienced and in my opinion could maybe do with a month or 2 month loan to a club in the division to get used to the step up in quality.

Centre mid is also a massive area of worry to me. Having been to various away games, it was very apparant that we could be bullied by the more physical teams in the division and i think we really need a player to break up play. Wotton for me it is nowhere near good enough and should be transfer listed. I do not understand keeping a player who could be easily replaced by someone better, especially with our financial muscle.

A right midfielder and striker is also needed so Pards estimation of about 3 new players seems about right.

Not looking likely to get any new recruits before Plymouth now as the cut off is thursday

The key thing for me is that we have demonstrated that we have priorities and a strategy in the transfer market. We knew that we needed RB cover after releasing Otsemabor, Thomas and James, and we addressed that situation promptly. We have bought in one of the best players in this league from last year in Dickson to give competition at LB and LM. He brings pace and great delivery according to my Brentford supporting friend so replaces some of the attributes that we last from Waigo and Antonio.

Any new players coming in for CM and on the flanks are unlikely to be first choice at the moment so if it takes us a bit longer to get the right person at the right price then for me it's not a major issue.

That's the thing though, we won't see on Saturday. A Saints win 4-0 won't prove you wrong in exactly the same way as a defeat won't prove you right. The season is over 46 games, and as you yourself have admitted we already have a very good team to kick off the season with. Would we be better served with added reinforcements? Of course. But they're not here now so we put faith in the very good team we have. Antonio missed a lot of games last season through injury but we did ok in those, so why not this season? I really don't get it.

Actions of all 46 games will speak louder than words, but I'm glad my upcoming holidays mean that I'll be avoiding the b1tch fest that will ensue one way or the other on here in the next 3 or 4 weeks.

No, I said we have the best first XI in the league.

Four of them are unlikely to be available on Saturday when we kick off the season.

• 2 years later...