Skacel: Missed opportunity tonight?

trousers

Actually, dont agree on this one.

I quite like the idea of dangling a carrot in front of his nose and seeing if he can get his hunger back and bite. I reckon the experience of being on the bench could prove quite motivating for him.

However, this is quite easy to say with hindsight following a 2-0 victory; if we'd been losing 2-0 I would have been screaming for him to be put on.

Actually, dont agree on this one.

I quite like the idea of dangling a carrot in front of his nose and seeing if he can get his hunger back and bite. I reckon the experience of being on the bench could prove quite motivating for him.

However, this is quite easy to say with hindsight following a 2-0 victory; if we'd been losing 2-0 I would have been screaming for him to be put on.

Yes, that's presumably why he was there.

Personally I don't care if he plays or not. He is one of the most over-rated players ever to play for us. I reckon most of the people clamouring for him to play didn't get to see him very often.

Sort of agree

but find it strange why we put him in the squad if we have no intention of playing him

Sort of agree

but find it strange why we put him in the squad if we have no intention of playing him

It suggests there is a clause in his contract that says something along the lines of: "I can leave on a free transfer if I'm not in the match day squad but will only receive a pay bonus if I get on the pitch"

It suggests there is a clause in his contract that says something along the lines of: "I can leave on a free transfer if I'm not in the match day squad but will only receive a pay bonus if I get on the pitch"

so why did he not leave on a free when he was not in squad?

all very strange

For all the talk of needing an experienced spine through the team it is the kids that continue to hog the headlines. It's almost as though they are saying hey, we're a team that's developed over a few years - we don't need our hands held at this level. Watch us and we'll prove we are good enough on our own.

Rudi Skacel had the opportunity to move to other clubs in the summer - and turned the chance down apparently because they failed to match his wage demands . Compare that attitude to Andrew Davies who dropped a division (and in all probability took a pay cut in the process) in order to play regular first team football . Skacel is now languishing both unused and unaffordable at a CCC club while Davies is now back in the Premier League with a great opportunity to progress his career .

Players need to look after their own interests we all understand that and few among us will volunteer for a pay cut , but players need to understand that clubs and their fans want players who really want to play - above all other considerations .

Skacel is sponsored by Infinity Homes, which happens to be one of Mr Wilde's companies....

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/team/?page_id=6587&player_id=104

You'd have thought that the sponsors of a player, who is alledgedly being frozen out, would be kicking up a fuss with the club to get 'their' player more exposure on the pitch....

Erm...Sponsor = M.Wilde / Boss = M.Wilde

Any idea how that works...? :confused:

p.s. and how come none of the other players have a link to their sponsors from their player profile page....?

Edited by trousers

Rudi Skacel had the opportunity to move to other clubs in the summer - and turned the chance down apparently because they failed to match his wage demands . Compare that attitude to Andrew Davies who dropped a division (and in all probability took a pay cut in the process) in order to play regular first team football . Skacel is now languishing both unused and unaffordable at a CCC club while Davies is now back in the Premier League with a great opportunity to progress his career .

Players need to look after their own interests we all understand that and few among us will volunteer for a pay cut , but players need to understand that clubs and their fans want players who really want to play - above all other considerations .

I agree totally with your point, but one thing to remember is that different Nationalities have different upbringings and different life expectations. For some the career is all, for others it is glory and for some of course it is the money.

The only thing I am learning about the whole Skacel issue is that he knows what is really going on and we don't. For all we know money MAy be the only objective - IF you are nearing the end of your career then every pound he can take now gives him a better life. Equally, for all we know he could have stopped bothering because he's busy running some sort of property business or even getting a UEFA coaching badge.

From the (totally) unsubstantiated rumours I've heard (from the bloke that washes out the insides of the cement trucks next door to SMS) if Davies took a pay cut to come here it can't have been a very big one....

Skacel is sponsored by Infinity Homes, which happens to be one of Mr Wilde's companies....

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/team/?page_id=6587&player_id=104

You'd have thought that the sponsors of a player, who is alledgedly being frozen out, would be kicking up a fuss with the club to get 'their' player more exposure on the pitch....

Erm...Sponsor = M.Wilde / Boss = M.Wilde

Any idea how that works...? :confused:

p.s. and how come none of the other players have a link to their sponsors from their player profile page....?

Having followed the link, done some googling and then read about Mike's companies I found this old article.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/?page_id=7078

Surely a ten minute run out at the end of the game would have given him a much needed confidence and/or attitude boost?

Either Portaloo is off his rocker or there's some political reason why he's not getting in the team. It makes no sense from where i'm sitting not to play him.

Either Portaloo is off his rocker or there's some political reason why he's not getting in the team. It makes no sense from where i'm sitting not to play him.

Crikey. Where are you sitting? We have a guy who would rather stay at Saints drawing an inflated salary than be pretty much gaurenteed a game elsewhere. A guy that has spent most of this season on the injury table and most of last underperforming. We have a team of fired up youngsters who are unbeaten in 4 games and you want to switch??????

I think I trust JP on this one!

Crikey. Where are you sitting? We have a guy who would rather stay at Saints drawing an inflated salary than be pretty much gaurenteed a game elsewhere. A guy that has spent most of this season on the injury table and most of last underperforming. We have a team of fired up youngsters who are unbeaten in 4 games and you want to switch??????

I think I trust JP on this one!

1. If you are refering to the Ipswich move, he was reportedly offered half his salary here and was far from guaranteed first team action. Would you take that move?

2. He was out for 2 weeks after a knock in the reserves. He has been available since then, but just hasn't been selected.

3. Complete myth. Skacel filled in perfectly capably at LB last season, supplying decent crosses and was rarely caught out at the back. He kept Vignal out the team for half a season and formed a decent partnership with Surman (before Burley decided Wright and Euell were a better left flank combination :rolleyes: )

4. A team of fired-up youngsters is all well and good. It's exatly what we have... and it's exactly what Crewe have. If we want to avoid the drop we are going to need a bit more than youthful energy. A couple of defeats and suddenly everyone will be moaning about why Pekhart is playing ahead of John, why DMG is a left winger, why BWP is on the pitch at all etc. etc.

4. A team of fired-up youngsters is all well and good. It's exatly what we have... and it's exactly what Crewe have. If we want to avoid the drop we are going to need a bit more than youthful energy. A couple of defeats and suddenly everyone will be moaning about why Pekhart is playing ahead of John, why DMG is a left winger, why BWP is on the pitch at all etc. etc.

I respect your views on Skacel and we'll not really know until he gets a chance to prove himself on the pitch. Hopefully he will get that chance.

What I am impressed by is how the existing players give it their all for 90 minutes. If they don't Jan will drop them but whilst they do, he keeps them on the pitch because that is the best way they will learn from their mistakes. Frustrating for us - particularly when you see a Coventry side take us apart with apparent ease but there is a long term plan and you just have to hope they learn quickly enough to keep us up!

I respect your views on Skacel and we'll not really know until he gets a chance to prove himself on the pitch. Hopefully he will get that chance.

What I am impressed by is how the existing players give it their all for 90 minutes. If they don't Jan will drop them but whilst they do, he keeps them on the pitch because that is the best way they will learn from their mistakes. Frustrating for us - particularly when you see a Coventry side take us apart with apparent ease but there is a long term plan and you just have to hope they learn quickly enough to keep us up!

I have been told by an impeccable source that the reason Skacel is not playing is because he is on appearance money.

I have been told by an impeccable source that the reason Skacel is not playing is because he is on appearance money.

90 percent of Saints fans know about his reason ;)

It's sad, how Rupert or Wilde doesn't have the balls to invest.

That's fair enough. However I fear however hard these youngsters try, it might not be enough. If we got relegated by say 2 or 3 points and didn't play Skacel, it will have proven to be a terrible decision as I believe he could well be the difference between win, lose or draw in a few games over the season.

The, "they're still young and learning," line wont cut it forever. Sooner or later we're going to have to admit that several of our players just aren't up to it yet.

Perhaps more worring is the fact that Saints have rarely improve in the second half of the season. I know we have a different set up to previous seasons, but our lack of spending in January has frequently left us falling behind.

Season's midpoint - End of the season

07/08 - Midtable - Barely escape the drop.

06/07 - 4th IIRC - Scrape into the playoffs.

05/06 - Playoff outsiders - Midtable

04/05 - Relegation battle - Bottom of the League

03/04 - 4th at Christmas - 12th

02/03 - Top Half somewhere - 8th