One of the things we need to do in order to win is ...

1976_Child

The title of this thread is 'One of the things we need to do to win is...'

Naturally, there is never 'one thing' which would bring results; but each of us has at one time or other left the ground after a disappointing game - like this weekend's game - and said 'if only...'

As the instigator of this thread I will give two:

1. Corners: very poor at receiving corners in the box.

2. No one ever takes a shot outside of the 18 yard box.

So let's hear your thoughts. What one thing....

If any of you watched Match of The Day 2 last night, you would have identified exactly what we need. Although we created enough chances in our last two home games to win both, the analysis in motd2 is exactly what I trhink Saints are missing. The analysis of the Newcastle midfield was eye opening, or should be for AP, Saints players and fans alike. It is simple and effective and should already be happening, but it isn;t. In the Plymouth game, Hammond did it a couple of times, but Morgan did not. Against Leyton O, we didn't do it all game. Our midfield are good enough, but driving forward, creating gaps where there isn;t much, working triangles and playing the ball 'with pace' is what our midfield is lacking.

A lot of people on here bemoaned the defence (one real chance, they scored, if we were that bad at the back, we would've lost by a landslide), a lot blamed Puncheon or the lack of width, or an unfit Lambert, BUT, the problem, from a tactical/footballing perspective is our static, unenthusiastic CM positions. Neither Morgan nor Hammond want to dominate a game as yet. And if either of them start to energise the team, the other does not.

The other analysis on motd2, also highlighted my other desire, a League 1 Paul Scholes in the Centre. Basically, someone who can make a defence splitting pass. Yeah, yeah, I hear you all say we can't sign a Paul Scholes or whatever, BUT, like I keep saying, we are in League one. We need a Paul Scholes type of player that can unlock League one, not Premiership defences. Trouble is, these players are often long in the tooth, been around a bit and are probably a bit expensive (probably way too expensive). But, this is what our midfield is missing, although it's the type of midfielder all league one teams are missing. If we could find that player, we would win this league hands down!

If any of you watched Match of The Day 2 last night, you would have identified exactly what we need. Although we created enough chances in our last two home games to win both, the analysis in motd2 is exactly what I trhink Saints are missing. The analysis of the Newcastle midfield was eye opening, or should be for AP, Saints players and fans alike. It is simple and effective and should already be happening, but it isn;t. In the Plymouth game, Hammond did it a couple of times, but Morgan did not. Against Leyton O, we didn't do it all game. Our midfield are good enough, but driving forward, creating gaps where there isn;t much, working triangles and playing the ball 'with pace' is what our midfield is lacking.

A lot of people on here bemoaned the defence (one real chance, they scored, if we were that bad at the back, we would've lost by a landslide), a lot blamed Puncheon or the lack of width, or an unfit Lambert, BUT, the problem, from a tactical/footballing perspective is our static, unenthusiastic CM positions. Neither Morgan nor Hammond want to dominate a game as yet. And if either of them start to energise the team, the other does not.

The other analysis on motd2, also highlighted my other desire, a League 1 Paul Scholes in the Centre. Basically, someone who can make a defence splitting pass. Yeah, yeah, I hear you all say we can't sign a Paul Scholes or whatever, BUT, like I keep saying, we are in League one. We need a Paul Scholes type of player that can unlock League one, not Premiership defences. Trouble is, these players are often long in the tooth, been around a bit and are probably a bit expensive (probably way too expensive). But, this is what our midfield is missing, although it's the type of midfielder all league one teams are missing. If we could find that player, we would win this league hands down!

Hoo bloody ray. At very very long last, the penny is dropping.

Amen.

Nail. Head.

having looked at the brief highlights on Saintsplayer I would say that Barnard (who looks very sharp) needs to keep the ball down a bit more when he shoots, a big keeper like Orient's seemed to be will gobble up most of that under the bar stuff, when I coach kids I repeat the same thing time and time again, keep it down, hit it hard just inside the posts (with their shooting power it usually turns into daisycutters that might even take a lucky bobble on the cowpatch pitches they play on most weeks) and you'll probably score.