Living and Working Abroad

SuperMikey

Weelll, the gap year is a fairly modern institution and certainly wasn't around when I did my degree at Soton, even if I didn't have to pay for it in my day. But the idea of getting into debt wasn't common either! I did spend a summer in the US/Canada but with work made a profit. As you can see from my profile I now live abroad, but that's only to avoid the chippy Dunes of this world...

To be honest I wouldn't start actual planning now. Ruminate over a few ideas perhaps, but a lot can happen in 3 years. You will certainly change your ideas, maybe meet someone from a particular country, or develop other ideas you want to follow. Abroad doesn't go away and it'll still be there even if you have a few years at the 9-5!

what if you have a degree, rich parents AND have built an orphanage in Africa? Are you allowewd to be an arrogant c*nt then?

It's unlikely that an early twenties graduate with rich parents would want to help poor Africans or similar. Usually they'd be more interested in arsing about living off handouts, travelling the world from fathers allowances or worst case for them and if their parents made them, working in daddies business during the summer so they could stil toss it off when they wanted too, rather than do anything postive or get their hands dirty.

However, if they did do any sort of postive work it would be more of an act of selfishness bore out a patronsing reasoning that they are doing it to help the savages. No doubt a few crocodile tears as the weak, fragile, pampered little oiks realise that not everyone lives in a country barn converstion with ponies grazing outside.

It's unlikely that an early twenties graduate with rich parents would want to help poor Africans or similar. Usually they'd be more interested in arsing about living off handouts, travelling the world from fathers allowances or worst case for them and if their parents made them, working in daddies business during the summer so they could stil toss it off when they wanted too, rather than do anything postive or get their hands dirty.

However, if they did do any sort of postive work it would be more of an act of selfishness bore out a patronsing reasoning that they are doing it to help the savages. No doubt a few crocodile tears as the weak, fragile, pampered little oiks realise that not everyone lives in a country barn converstion with ponies grazing outside.

What a weird post, I am not sure I understand it; however it comes across as bitter and twisted. Are your views based on personal experience or plain old fashioned ignorance of the world and people with whom you have no contact.

What a weird post, I am not sure I understand it; however it comes across as bitter and twisted. Are your views based on personal experience or plain old fashioned ignorance of the world and people with whom you have no contact.

If you care to read my previous post on this thread, you will seee it is based on experience. I am in regular contact through my job with these snotty nosed little tosspots who consider themselves better than the most simply because they have a degree and/or come from a rich background. My most recent experience of this was working with a 24 year old who claimed after a years experience in this job, his only ever job, he wanted to be, should be and had the ability to be General Manager of the division within two years. This position is one below director, is responsible for 30 staff and carries a revenue sales target of around £100m a year. Yet his years experience in a junior product sales role and the fact he had a degree made him ideal for the role, in his eyes. He came from a priviledge background and had a degree, a degree in Music!! He was well travelled, according to him as he had spent time in Germany and Holland!! Suffice to say the arrogant little c*nt was quickly put in his place and claimed he was being picked upon and held back.

I'm surprised you cant understand as its quite clear. 90% of graduates are grade A c*nts. Selfish, arrogant, pampered, spoilt little f*ck faces who think they deserve fast tracking to riches. I think that is quite clear, or prehaps we should all go away and write a 10,000 word thesis on it?

Edited by Turkish

If you care to read my previous post on this thread, you will seee it is based on experience. I am in regular contact through my job with these snotty nosed little tosspots who consider themselves better than the most simply because they have a degree and/or come from a rich background. My most recent experience of this was working with a 24 year old who claimed after a years experience in this job, his only ever job, he wanted to be, should be and had the ability to be General Manager of the division within two years. This position is one below director, is responsible for 30 staff and carries a revenue sales target of around £100m a year. Yet his years experience in a junior product sales role and the fact he had a degree made him ideal for the role, in his eyes. He came from a priviledge background and had a degree, a degree in Music!! He was well travelled, according to him as he had spent time in Germany and Holland!! Suffice to say the arrogant little c*nt was quickly put in his place and claimed he was being picked upon and held back.

I'm surprised you cant understand as its quite clear. 90% of graduates are grade A c*nts. Selfish, arrogant, pampered, spoilt little f*ck faces who think they deserve fast tracking to riches. I think that is quite clear, or prehaps we should all go away and write a 10,000 word thesis on it?

As an old style secondary modern boy (no degree) who now works as a Senior Manger in a high tech company (1200 employees) with 80% of the staff having a degree I have no experience of the scenario you paint. I have employed, mentored and coached graduates for the last 20 years and none of them have ever displayed such arrogance, my latest is first class from Cambridge , if they did they would be out the door.

As an old style secondary modern boy (no degree) who now works as a Senior Manger in a high tech company (1200 employees) with 80% of the staff having a degree I have no experience of the scenario you paint. I have employed, mentored and coached graduates for the last 20 years and none of them have ever displayed such arrogance, my latest is first class from Cambridge , if they did they would be out the door.

I applaud your company for their stance against the arrogance of these types, a knocking off their self built perch is exactly what they need. Too often these little sh*ts have been pandered too all their lives by their parents who think the sun shines out of their (they think) academically gifted offsprings arse. This instills this arrogance into them from an early age and is only heightened by the hand outs given by parents who are deperate to please the selfish, pampered, arrogant monster they have created. This creates a generation of fragile, weak pathetic beings which inhabit our country. Coupled with the other end of the spectrum, the dense, thick, wannabe famous, Britains Got Talent generation, full of c*nts who have zero talent or realism but just want to be famous. Told they are gifted by their idiotic parents giving them delusions of grandeur it is no wonderthat most of the young people that are out there these days are utter c*nts.

I applaud your company for their stance against the arrogance of these types, a knocking off their self built perch is exactly what they need. Too often these little sh*ts have been pandered too all their lives by their parents who think the sun shines out of their (they think) academically gifted offsprings arse. This instills this arrogance into them from an early age and is only heightened by the hand outs given by parents who are deperate to please the selfish, pampered, arrogant monster they have created. This creates a generation of fragile, weak pathetic beings which inhabit our country. Coupled with the other end of the spectrum, the dense, thick, wannabe famous, Britains Got Talent generation, full of c*nts who have zero talent or realism but just want to be famous. Told they are gifted by their idiotic parents giving them delusions of grandeur it is no wonderthat most of the young people that are out there these days are utter c*nts.

We don't have a stance theres no need the vast majority of the young today are not arrogant, unlike some older people I know.

Like I said earlier, massive chip, shoulder

glad I dont work with you

Having lived the best part of 45 years overseas after I graduated in your position I wouldn't hesitate. Adding languages is still a positive move to degrees and qualifications. I set out to spend a year in German, another year in France followed by Switzerland and then the States. It didn't work out that way but took me much farther afield.

The Erasmus scheme is very popular in Europe, especially amongst Scandinavian students. A valid, update passport is all that you need in the European Community. Elsewhere, visas, etc come into play. and if you're planning of working all will depend on the local job market. This should be well looked into before setting out if funds are short. http://www.esn.org/content/section-information

China offers many teaching positions to graduate foreigners with live in and a survivable salary and transport provided. These are pretty easy to find. I'll see if I can find the video clips of the experiences of a student who went to live in China to work on graduating. He eventually married and settled in China.

Don't hesitant to contact me if I can answer any questions you may have. Best of luck, you won't regret it.

Just to back up Art's contribution. My son received an Erasmus scholarship and spent a year studying at Athens University (he was studying Philosophy so it was an obvious place to go, although he did have the option of studying in Rome).

Apart from having a great time, it certainly broadened his horizons. He speaks and understands Greek and it's no coincidence I think that some of his major clients are in Greece.

Like I said earlier, massive chip, shoulder

glad I dont work with you

I am glad you dont work with me either, as you clearly fall into one of the above categories, bit of banter and p*ss taking and you'll be one of those poor, pampered, weak little souls that goes runnning to HR claiming of bullying. So did Mummy and Daddy probably have been giving you monthly allowances and cleared off your credit card a fews times for you have they? So what is your degree in? History? Media Studies?

Edited by Turkish

I am glad you dont work with me either, as you clearly fall into one of the above categories, bit of banter and p*ss taking and you'll be one of those poor, pampered, weak little souls that goes runnning to HR claiming of bullying. So did Mummy and Daddy probably have been giving you monthly allowances and cleared off your credit card a fews times for you have they? So what is your degree in? History? Media Studies?

I dont know what industry you work in but either it or you are living far in the past. 20 years in the SM service taught me all I need to know about banter, it also taught me about respect, you obviously have none for our younger generation. I hope you don't need them to help you pee when you get past helping yourself, although I bet it would fuel some good banter.

I dont know what industry you work in but either it or you are living far in the past. 20 years in the SM service taught me all I need to know about banter, it also taught me about respect, you obviously have none for our younger generation. I hope you don't need them to help you pee when you get past helping yourself, although I bet it would fuel some good banter.

I work in the IT industry. By the way that chip you seem to think i have on my shoulder didn't hold me back from earning at least 3 times the national average salary each year and going on an a weeks all expenses paid trip to Mauritius 18 months ago for being one of the top 100 performers worldwide in my industry for my particular vendor. I have respect for people that are good at their jobs, for people that want to learn from people that are good at their jobs, for people that want to acheive,want to do something for themselves, what i dont have respect for are the jumped up luttle oiks that feel they deserve all that i and my colleagues have worked for over years just because they have a degree in Media Studies and come from rich parents. It's a bit of a cliche but the only place success comes before work is in the dictionary. Obvisouly you are one of those that believes that a degree is all that matters.

I work in the IT industry. By the way that chip you seem to think i have on my shoulder didn't hold me back from earning at least 3 times the national average salary each year and going on an a weeks all expenses paid trip to Mauritius 18 months ago for being one of the top 100 performers worldwide in my industry for my particular vendor. I have respect for people that are good at their jobs, for people that want to learn from people that are good at their jobs, for people that want to acheive,want to do something for themselves, what i dont have respect for are the jumped up luttle oiks that feel they deserve all that i and my colleagues have worked for over years just because they have a degree in Media Studies and come from rich parents. It's a bit of a cliche but the only place success comes before work is in the dictionary. Obvisouly you are one of those that believes that a degree is all that matters.

I definitely do not believe a degree is all that matters, as I said above I do not have one, I designed and set up my company's apprenticeship scheme because I believe there is to much emphasis on degrees. However I do not believe that attaining a degree turns you into some sort of privileged pampered wastrel. I do agree with you that there is a problem with the some degree courses that seem to have proliferated for no reason other than to hit the ridiculous 50% target. I don't know why you think your salary supports your credibility in this debate, as we have seen with the bankers financial reward does not confer wisdom.

I love how threads like this always turn into highly generalsied anti-student rhetoric, and some big-******** hero always has to go on about how much money they earn etc. Ot's so juvenile it's unreal. Of course some students shouldn't have bothered, live off their parents or the state, feel a misplaced sense of entitlement. But many don't. Many of those that never went are highly skilled and intelligent professionals without having needed to go. But some are c*nts. The lack of balance and objectivity, the inclination for threads to become polarised and insulting still amuses me after all this time.

I didn't get any GCSE's or qualifications at all and I am raking it in. Sometimes I can get a number of trolleys that have been left by cars and bolster my income by £6-10 a day. Not sure many people could say that.

You have discovered the secret of eternal happiness.

I definitely do not believe a degree is all that matters, as I said above I do not have one, I designed and set up my company's apprenticeship scheme because I believe there is to much emphasis on degrees. However I do not believe that attaining a degree turns you into some sort of privileged pampered wastrel. I do agree with you that there is a problem with the some degree courses that seem to have proliferated for no reason other than to hit the ridiculous 50% target. I don't know why you think your salary supports your credibility in this debate, as we have seen with the bankers financial reward does not confer wisdom.

Because i was p*ssed last night when i wrote this thats why :lol: Seriously it doesn't have any impact really, just making the point that some of the divs that are one or two years into their careers and in most cases have average at best performance, are generally quite lazy and arrogant think they have a right to earn the big money, manage the big accounts, win the big deals etc because they are graduates. I've heard it time and time again, them saying things like "i should be earning more, i've got a degree" I kid you not. Above i mention the Music graduate who thought he should be general manager within two years because a year into his career he thought he had the ability to do so, he was just one of many similar attitudes i have come accross. Maybe it's just my industry that attracts this lot. :?

Turkish, people like you mention inhabit most professions, and the thing that marks them out as brethren is not the fact they have a degree (joke one or otherwise). It's the fact that they are clearly pr*cks. Anyway, it's all going to change because there is inevitable fallout from the culture that has developed over the last decade around furtjer and higher education. Attitudes will have to change.

You dont know jack sh*t about me, you sound like the very people your twisted logic makes you hate.

Seems your big money lifestyle hasnt made you happy, maybe you are just insecure about your own lack of intelligence.

Maybe you can make up for it as you are a rich man and be the Daddy, put one of your disgusting spawn through uni, and create some more arrogant arseholes

Or maybe you should take a year break from your horrible job with all the horrible people and go live in Thailand for a bit (supporting yourself of course). Go meditate and open your mind a little

Edited by Jonnyboy
angry with fool

You dont know jack sh*t about me, you sound like the very people your twisted logic makes you hate.

Seems your big money lifestyle hasnt made you happy, maybe you are just insecure about your own lack of intelligence.

Maybe you can make up for it as you are a rich man and be the Daddy, put one of your disgusting spawn through uni, and create some more arrogant arseholes

Or maybe you should take a year break from your horrible job with all the horrible people and go live in Thailand for a bit (supporting yourself of course). Go meditate and open your mind a little

Hello Johnny boy, i am very happy in my life as it happens, just to make you feel all warm and fluffy. However, what i have respect for is people that work hard and achieve things for themselves not have it handed to them on a plate or think they should do. Be that someone like Alan Sugar who has built up a business empire from the back of a van, or a guy that goes Hod Carrying 7.30-4.30 on a building site in all sorts of weather (i have done this by the way), nurses, firemen etc. Guys and girls that are proud and work hard and get where they are through graft and ability. Not just an assumption that because their parents are rich, they deserve to be too.

BTW, my kids (if we decide to have any) will be educated in state comprehensives, i dont want them going to private schools, looking down their nose at working class people. They will not be pampered little brats given everything their hearts desires for no return. They will get pocket money, presents etc, but they will work for it. THey will have traidtional moral values instilled in them. Anyway sermon over.

Edited by Turkish

Hello Johnny boy, i am very happy in my life as it happens, just to make you feel all warm and fluffy. However, what i have respect for is people that work hard and achieve things for themselves not have it handed to them on a plate or think they should do. Be that someone like Alan Sugar who has built up a business empire from the back of a van, or a guy that goes Hod Carrying 7.30-4.30 on a building site in all sorts of weather (i have done this by the way), nurses, firemen etc. Guys and girls that are proud and work hard and get where they are through graft and ability. Not just an assumption that because their parents are rich, they deserve to be too.

BTW, my kids (if we decide to have any) will be educated in state comprehensives, i dont want them going to private schools, looking down their nose at working class people. They will not be pampered little brats given everything their hearts desires for no return. They will get pocket money, presents etc, but they will work for it. THey will have traidtional moral values instilled in them. Anyway sermon over.

Then we are agreed.

However, I have met working class people who are lazy cvnts, and privileged people who are hard working, moral and pleasant.

And vice versa.

The world isnt that black and white Im afraid

Then we are agreed.

However, I have met working class people who are lazy cvnts, and privileged people who are hard working, moral and pleasant.

And vice versa.

The world isnt that black and white Im afraid

Me too and they are just as bad, why anyone would be happy to laze about not wanting to make anything or do anything with their life is beyond me.

Sounds like you're not putting 100% into your work to me. Why bother working if you're not going to do it properly? Have you no pride? It's people like you who have brought this nation to its knees, with your lackadaisical attitude to work.

Sounds like you're not putting 100% into your work to me. Why bother working if you're not going to do it properly? Have you no pride? It's people like you who have brought this nation to its knees, with your lackadaisical attitude to work.

I havent really got a job, i sit around the house all day on the internet taking on different personas on different websites and dreaming of instant riches. It's the closest i get to interacting with people, what with being a ginger haired graduate with rich parents.

I'm starting to look into things to do after University, and I quite fancy the idea of a few years after Uni working or studying abroad. This is probably because i'm going straight into Uni without doing a gap year, and i'm the type that likes to go to other places and explore a bit.

I've been looking at possible things that I could do, but does anyone have recommendations? I'd love to live in Sweden for a while, i've visited and stayed with family a few times and I love it there. Been looking at the courses on offer for Postgrad because the work regulations seem to be very strict.

Have you considered being airline cabin crew for a year or two? There's plenty of traveling in that and depending on the airline you could be sent out anywhere in Europe. The downside is you probably wont get a lot of choice in where you get sent, but there's always a good banter in most places and you don't need any qualifications.

Have you considered being airline cabin crew for a year or two? There's plenty of traveling in that and depending on the airline you could be sent out anywhere in Europe. The downside is you probably wont get a lot of choice in where you get sent, but there's always a good banter in most places and you don't need any qualifications.

Plus he'd be able to get duty free lubricant for all that anal bashing he'll get.