Cars <£1k

St Chalet

My first car was a Morris Traveller bought for £75. Once, in a family medical emergency, I was going down the hill from Shap Fell on the M6 and the speedo needle was hard against the stop and the car was still accelerating - took the other drivers by surprise when we hurtled past them.

• 3 weeks later...

The first car I owned was a 1989 Mk2 VW Golf. Bought for £550 from a lady in Windsor, I saw it while walking past. Faded paintwork but it was in good condition. Lasted me 3 years, and although I scrapped it, I could probably have sold it on for the same amount or even more. It was a basic model, but it drove so well, and for a four geared car it went like stink. I loved that little car, had my replacement car been shyte (it wasn't, my Saxo did me proud), I'd have been gutted at scrapping it.

• 8 months later...
Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

I bought a 1999 Volvo 850 T5 saloon for €650 from a chap in Spain. It drove beautifully and did great service. I passed it on to my daughter as her first car when I got my Navara.

Cheers.

So far a toss up between:

Volvo V40 2.0i Estate (1999, 90,000 miles and 12 months MOT)

Saab 9-3 2.0i SE (1999, 90,000 miles and 8 months MOT)

Citroen C5 1.8i (2003, 78,000 miles and 12 months MOT)

Apart from the relative gas-guzzlage of the Saab and having no idea about Citroens (but will have a look anyway) - any obvious plus or minus points?