Charlton BIG investment/takeover

Glasgow_Saint

The reason being that although he "wasn't in charge" ......... he still had his SHARES ........... and the Clout that goes with it

ie ... You can only PURCHASE if the potential SELLAR is WILLING TO SELL....

Lowe NEVER wanted to sell his shares ..... and now back in charge ..... he never will

no point in him selling his 6% sharehold now. The share price is low, land prices have fallen (*someone please tell me how much the Farm land is really worth) and he has got himself a nice tidy job to tide things over during this rocky period.

So long as he can keep the ship (club) above water he knows his investment is safe and gets paid at the same time. What's more when he can see the club is moving forward he is in the perfect position to evaulate whether or not to strengthen his position with cheap shares. If I had £500k tied up in a company I'd want to be as close to it as possible.

In fairness, parts of Portsmouth are much more pleasant than parts of Southampton. Unfortunately, Fratton Park is not one of them.

Yes, the view in your rear view mirror for a start.

Otherwise, there are hardly any parts of Portsmouth that are more attractive than their Southampton counterparts.

The truth hurts eh :D :D

Spike the Pompey bubble will burst.

Enjoy the short term glory.

Portsmouth is a ****hole aptly decsribed as " northern industrial town on the South Coast"

It will never attract a big fan base and is hardly an attractive place to invest money.

Loses a fortune every year .

Small crowds , **** old ground, property crash and recession, you are ****ed

Just received this from Charlton supporting friend (who's on their newsletter list). Looks like they are going to join us on the mill of endless rumours.

The board of Charlton Athletic plc was today informed by Zabeel Investments that it will not be proceeding with the proposed acquisition of Charlton Athletic plc.

Zabeel Investments has informed Charlton that the decision not to proceed was taken on the basis that its focus moving forward will be on domestic opportunities in Dubai that complement the current Zabeel Investments portfolio.

This, combined with the current debate around foreign ownership of football clubs and the worsening economic climate in the UK, contributed to the decision by Zabeel to pull out.

Furthermore, Zabeel Investments has made it clear to Charlton that this decision was not made as a result of any discoveries during the due diligence process.

Contrary to press reports, Zabeel Investments has confirmed to Charlton that it has not approached any other club since it made an indicative offer for Charlton on October 10th, not has it authorised any approach on its behalf.

Just received this from Charlton supporting friend (who's on their newsletter list). Looks like they are going to join us on the mill of endless rumours.

The press statement actually says.....

Corporations in Dubai have realised that they are committed to building US$50 billion of construction projects in the coming year for which NOBODY will lend them money against "Bonds".

The two major suppliers of Mortgages to buyers here have had to merge as they cannot raise enough funds cheaply enough to lend to people who want to buy property, and the "flood" of "Western Investors" who had been brainwashed into investing every dime they had into property speculation have also dried up. This leads to a potential disaster scenario as those properties are still being built by the developers but they don't have buyers for them.......

So in other words, the guys down here have more pressing problems and places to use their liquidity than in football.

(Oh and by the way, I told you so......

When Charlton made the announcement I pointed out that when dealing with businesses in this region you simply DON'T jump the gun and make the locals lose face or marketing opportunities)

Interesting that Charlton announced this on a Friday, when the Dubai guys at Zabeel Investments were closed for the weekend. Shows that the Charlton guys have a lot to learn about the etiquette of working with the guys down here. Hope it doesn't upset them too much.

FWIW they have been looking at a LOT of clubs and have had details from and meetings with a LOT of clubs.

But London is the key, followed by closeness to an International Airport, but the last year of a parachute payment would have made a big difference. Zabeel will have funds but will also be very careful with them.

Smug grinning smiley winkey thingy.......

Bugger, the other thread has been closed so I'll get this in before this one goes that way as well.

Nope, my wife works for the French Government,bloke called Nicolas, never heard it called Eric before, a lot of names, most of them singularly uncomplimentary but not Eric.

OK just testing :)

OK just testing :)

In answer and so Dubai Saint knows

Goodfellas Jay frequents the pub of that name for televised games.

Eric is a bottled real ale drinker who stops airplanes crashing and frequents said Goodfellas

Phil is an IT type who frequents Rock Bottom and has been known to sip the occassional Bullfrog and occassionally fights the traffic down to Goodfellas.

So in answer although the Players Lounge at The Country Club Hotel is easier to get to, goodfellas is sort of where we go. trouble is 1) rush hour traffic is a ***** and 2) we are always cr*p on the telly

And back on subject, did Dubai look at Saints? There is anecdotal evidence from friends down here that they may well have done, simply because when they go into a project they do a GREAT deal of research about ALL the opportunities, but as I said above, re Zabeel, it came as no surprise they are stopping looking at football because just about EVERY corporation/investment fund down here are stopping every project they can until things calm down in the global market.

While we may lol at Charlton it does also reduce the options available to SLH PLC to keep the club as an attractive investment opportunity whilst having sufficient funds to keep operations running.

It is a very difficult time right now for MANY football club chairmen. (not least Liverpool)

My brother works in Dubai for a bank (UK). I'm going to see him next week - he's not happy at all right now.

The common percepetion is that the Middle East has access to huge funds and the credit crunch won't affect them.

Completely worng - my brother is responsible for interbank lending and he has stated there is NO liquidity in the Middle East. No-one will lend anyone else any money and the housing market is about to experience a major crash.

Charlton's parachute payment runs out this season and they may well find themselves in our position next year.

My brother works in Dubai for a bank (UK). I'm going to see him next week - he's not happy at all right now.

The common percepetion is that the Middle East has access to huge funds and the credit crunch won't affect them.

Completely worng - my brother is responsible for interbank lending and he has stated there is NO liquidity in the Middle East. No-one will lend anyone else any money and the housing market is about to experience a major crash.

Charlton's parachute payment runs out this season and they may well find themselves in our position next year.

Enjoy yourself while here, but watch out for the poo on the beach:-)

And your brother will be one of many who is wise, compared to the many with their heads in the large amounts of sand we have down here.

Make sure you get your regulation Bullfrog down yer neck :-)

Bugger, the other thread has been closed so I'll get this in before this one goes that way as well.

Nope, my wife works for the French Government,bloke called Nicolas, never heard it called Eric before, a lot of names, most of them singularly uncomplimentary but not Eric.

:confused:

+ on the other fred about my wife works where? :confused:

Am I missing something here, or am I just naturally thick :(

As Phil has said, with the present financial climate, not much hope of new investment in us, or any other clubs from out here at the moment. However, with the crash in the exchange rate, it would cost less UAE dirhams to buy us ;)

The Dubai Crew .... how about a big ghey meet up at Goodfellas for the Brizzle City game ... why should we all suffer alone!!

As Phil has said, with the present financial climate, not much hope of new investment in us, or any other clubs from out here at the moment. However, with the crash in the exchange rate, it would cost less UAE dirhams to buy us ;)

The Dubai Crew .... how about a big ghey meet up at Goodfellas for the Brizzle City game ... why should we all suffer alone!!

There was another thread that didn't last long.

Weston, forever the Hercule Poirot, was saying that he thought my wife worked for Eric.Then the thread got closed.I merely used this one,which is of a similar character,to inform him that my wife is a French Government Scientist and doesn't work for "Eric".

Sounds like a plan Stan but will have to check timings to see if it clashes with my weekly "aerobics exercise" plan. Tis one thing to watch a game on the sofa with the chick in the shirt exercising on your lap, another to get to do it in the pub.....

(well at least over here it is!)

But we play in Flint when we are away, it looks Grey but it sure ain't spelt Ghey

Oh and on the investment front. The exchange rate bit is right and also there is ONE critical point to bear in mind. The large independent corporations here across the ME (ie NOT the property ones) WILL have funds to invest WHEN prices are at rock bottom AND there looks to be a timeline for recovery. The CRITICAL thing is for us to actually still have a club AND ASSETS that can be sold WHEN that happens.

Behind the scenes at SMS they have a REALLY hard juggling act to play, but they do know they need to stay in the game one way or another for when things start to ease up globally. IF we can survive to January and things have stopped collapsing outside of our virtual world of SMS & TSW then there is still hope.....

• 2 weeks later...