Virgin Media.

S-Clarke

Who else has Virgin in the Soton area?

I've never known such a **** ISP. I pay for 50mb but haven't got anywhere near it for weeks, our VOIP phone keeps cutting off phone calls and online gaming is just no-go.

Just wondered if anyone else is having similar probs?

Have you done a speed test? If so what are your Download and Upload speeds? I have the 10mb and it's bang on. Great download speeds and upload speeds. Xbox Live runs like a dream. Where abouts in Soton are you?

Yeah - it's very erratic

Download Speed: 25409 kbps Upload Speed: 2627 kbps (In the maybush area)

It's not the speed that's the massive issue (although as I pay for 50mb that's pretty poor), it's just the constant packet loss I'm getting - every 10mins packets just drop off for about 10secs and in that time anything I was doing just dies.

Mines fine in Bursledon. Give Virgin a call and have a rant, they've given me some good deals in the past based on a right good moan. Try and get past the first person you speak to as they have limited clowt, the next person can make things happen.

I'll try and give them another call tomorrow Badger, the problem I've had is that I'm often cut off when speaking to them.....although I've been given a free number for their 50mb fault line which I'll give a go from my mobile.

Who else has Virgin in the Soton area?

I've never known such a **** ISP. I pay for 50mb but haven't got anywhere near it for weeks, our VOIP phone keeps cutting off phone calls and online gaming is just no-go.

Just wondered if anyone else is having similar probs?

They have recently been doing upgrades to their network but have not told any of there customers this. The impact is that your services for broadband are affected. Best course of action is to do a speed test and then phone them with the results stating that if you are not compensated you will leave. I managed to get £5 off my bill for 6 months last time this happened to me.

They have recently been doing upgrades to their network but have not told any of there customers this. The impact is that your services for broadband are affected. Best course of action is to do a speed test and then phone them with the results stating that if you are not compensated you will leave. I managed to get £5 off my bill for 6 months last time this happened to me.

Any idea's what they'll finish these upgrades? I phoned them up today, got through to someone I really struggled to understand and was told that there are no issues and that I need to do a virus check and spyware check on my laptop. (they ignored the fact that i have many PC's on my network, all experiencing the same issue and my upload bandwidth is not being utilised at all)

Never mind, seems to have resolved it's self today....hasn't been as stable as this for ages, so fingers crossed it stays like this.

I'm at the top end of Shirley and have had Virgin (phone, TV and 10mb broadband) for ages and have had few problems. Speeds are very good.

They did some work in the green street cabinets before Xmas and my TV went all pixelly. Phoned them up and the 1st Asian gentleman didn't have a clue. Phoned again and got a different bloke who diagnosed the problem and sent an engineer who fixed it.

Virgin media are not that bad. Like all big broadband companies they have a proportion of their customers who have problems and as with the others it's generally the people who have problems who speak out about the quality of their service so you do tend to get a slightly bias opinion of a company like VM from looking online.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/o2-and-virgin-media-the-big-winners-at-broadband-awards-114919369.html

Virgin Media landed both Fastest Broadband Provider and Best Bundled Broadband. The Fastest Provider award used data from almost 40,000 speed tests from www.broadbandgenie.co.uk– in partnership with Think Broadband. Best Bundled Broadband was voted for by a panel of industry experts, as were Best Budget Broadband (won by Plusnet) and Most Innovative Provider (BE Broadband).
Edited by pedg

My only problem with them is that I cant get Sky Sports News channel 515 but get all the other sports channels, hopefully an engineer will repair this on Friday. I also have problems watching HD catch up programmes and wondered if anyone else had these problems too.

My only problem with them is that I cant get Sky Sports News channel 515 but get all the other sports channels, hopefully an engineer will repair this on Friday. I also have problems watching HD catch up programmes and wondered if anyone else had these problems too.

I think the HD catchup is down to the extra bandwidth this needs and I think when their network gets busy the HD catchups are the first to get the 'too busy, try later' message. If you try at a time when less people are trying to use catchup it may work (just has for me).