Credit Crunch

revolution saint

Is anyone else sick of hearing all the sodding time about this? It's as if all the news programmes are really getting off on misery and I suppose everyone will say what's new?

It's bad enough having to deal with it without some gurning mug gleefully shouting 'and it's gonna get worse!' or that's how it seems to me. If this carries on Eastenders will start being billed as a comedy compared to the news/panorama/watchdog or any other consumer or current affairs show. I know they need to report it but it's bloody depressing nonetheless.

It's a hard one to call. Perhaps 13.10.08 will become a date as well known as 9/11.

Gordon Brown is looking strong for the decisive action he has taken to inject liquidity back into UK banks at least but that comes at part nationalisation which will likely hit our income tax levels for the next few years at least. No matter whether Labour ot Tories in power. Conversly it could be argued that a return to more cautious but still profitable banking may be good for the taxpayer in the long run as both shareholders and customers of UK banks.

But it could also be argued that Gordon Brown was happy to watch excessive banking profits flourish to ridiculous levels when he was chancellor for 10 years. And many of those profits have left the banking system into the hands of greedy senior execs on the watch at the time.

Personally I don't think there was an alternative to the cash injection and part nationalisations and I do hope it means that the banking system excesses are done with forever.

Whether the actions taken are extreme enough to halt a true global crash is debatable too as the banks and governments still don't know the health of many of the industries and companies that have been lent money over the last 20 years.

Laissez-faire economics is dead for at least a decade though and probably more.

The swinging pendulum will continue to knock bookends from the shelf at both ends for a while yet.

The press have made things worse IMO, but different people have been affected in different ways, so to some, it is very relevant and to others not so.

It's a hard one to call. Perhaps 13.10.08 will become a date as well known as 9/11.

Gordon Brown is looking strong for the decisive action he has taken to inject liquidity back into UK banks at least but that comes at part nationalisation which will likely hit our income tax levels for the next few years at least. No matter whether Labour ot Tories in power. Conversly it could be argued that a return to more cautious but still profitable banking may be good for the taxpayer in the long run as both shareholders and customers of UK banks.

But it could also be argued that Gordon Brown was happy to watch excessive banking profits flourish to ridiculous levels when he was chancellor for 10 years. And many of those profits have left the banking system into the hands of greedy senior execs on the watch at the time.

Personally I don't think there was an alternative to the cash injection and part nationalisations and I do hope it means that the banking system excesses are done with forever.

Whether the actions taken are extreme enough to halt a true global crash is debatable too as the banks and governments still don't know the health of many of the industries and companies that have been lent money over the last 20 years.

Laissez-faire economics is dead for at least a decade though and probably more.

The swinging pendulum will continue to knock bookends from the shelf at both ends for a while yet.

Ummm well thanks for that....not sure I needed yet another economic commentary. My point is that it's not difficult to understand why but that when repeated ad finitum it becomes extremely bloody boring.

Ummm well thanks for that....not sure I needed yet another economic commentary. My point is that it's not difficult to understand why but that when repeated ad finitum it becomes extremely bloody boring.

Well, read the ****ing Daily Star then, watch GMTV and post on the Muppet Show if you want to ignore realities that affect us all!

Well, read the ****ing Daily Star then, watch GMTV and post on the Muppet Show if you want to ignore realities that affect us all!

No really? Wow what an insight Mr Keynes. My point was that it's annoying and dull, not it's effect on us. It wasn't an excuse for you to show off your combined A Levels in economics and politics.

No really? Wow what an insight Mr Keynes. My point was that it's annoying and dull, not it's effect on us. It wasn't an excuse for you to show off your combined A Levels in economics and politics.

Fine. I find your view on the subject disagreeable too but I won't resort to a spat. It may be dull and annoying for you and many others. I don't argue with that. Why post a view like yours without expecting others to comment on the seriousness of it?

Fine. I find your view on the subject disagreeable too but I won't resort to a spat. It may be dull and annoying for you and many others. I don't argue with that. Why post a view like yours without expecting others to comment on the seriousness of it?

Well the point was you didn't actually address the point but instead chose to regale us with your considered opinion of the economic climate which wasn't in question. i wasn't really interested in your opinion of that which to sum up was: Government intervention could be good.....or it could be bad. My point was I'm fed up of people saying exactly that!

Well the point was you didn't actually address the point but instead chose to regale us with your considered opinion of the economic climate which wasn't in question. i wasn't really interested in your opinion of that which to sum up was: Government intervention could be good.....or it could be bad. My point was I'm fed up of people saying exactly that!

Fair enough. I should have started my own thread possibly. I thought the topics were close enough to comment on your thread.

Fair enough. I should have started my own thread possibly. I thought the topics were close enough to comment on your thread.

Ah no problem, in fact it's mostly my fault. I should actually read the Daily Star and watch GMTV. Trouble is I don't. It's the whole facile debate (take newsnight tonight),the inflated hyperbole and the reporting of 'non-news'. It's more a critique of the 24 hour news culture which shouts a lot but says very little.

Ah no problem, in fact it's mostly my fault. I should actually read the Daily Star and watch GMTV. Trouble is I don't. It's the whole facile debate (take newsnight tonight),the inflated hyperbole and the reporting of 'non-news'. It's more a critique of the 24 hour news culture which shouts a lot but says very little.

No praw ;)

Maybe, JUST maybe, when all the crud flying around in the news stops, and when the game of pass the parcel of dodgy deals stops, the world of business will stop being fixated on "this weeks' profits" and start to look at longer term value.

For anyone who tried to start a business in the past 10 years which was profitable and had a medium & long term strategy, the banks would, in general laugh at you. Why give you money when they could buy a piece of paper from a dodgy yank and make zillions in bonuses?

Sure loads of people have made big bucks, but at the end of the day, 90% of them have come about by being the banking equivalent of Arthur Daley.

A return to more sensible and sustainable longer term objectives may just help the planet and us survive for more than next quarters bonus cheques.

And of course, by that I mean Saints FC amongst many others.

But it won't and once the west gets hamstrung by all the new rules and regs, guess what? The Russkies Chinese & the guys down here will simply carry on (almost) as before and takeover the planet.

There endeth todays economic rant, now back to muppets