Flag Man - Was he Saints/ Did he exist?

JackanorySFC

When I was a nipper I seem to remember an England/ Saints (might have made up the Saints bit) who used to follow England all over the world in the 80's/ early 90's. Think he was in his 80's/ 90's at the time too!

Used to have a Union Flag on a pole at games with England with a red Chelsea pensioners type jacket and John Bull hat I think too?

If I havn't made him up (pretty sure I havn't as I used to see him sat outside a beach hut in Bournemouth every summer) he was a true character, the like of which you don't see much of any more?

Anyway, was he Saints and if he was, what was his story?

Ken Bailey. He was the self-styled official England cheerleader until he got caught up in a kiddie-diddling scandal.

He used his cossie and status to turn up to any sporting occasion that took his fancy and blagged his way in.

I recall him turning up at all sorts of big games at The Dell (normally involving the likes of Man Utd, Liverpool, etc) even though he patently didn't support either team.

By then, the novelty of seeing him had worn off and as people worked out that he was poncing a free ticket to the game, he always got roundly booed. Not that it bothered him. He was pretty thick-skinned.

Ken Bailey. He was the self-styled official England cheerleader until he got caught up in a kiddie-diddling scandal.

He used his cossie and status to turn up to any sporting occasion that took his fancy and blagged his way in.

I recall him turning up at all sorts of big games at The Dell (normally involving the likes of Man Utd, Liverpool, etc) even though he patently didn't support either team.

By then, the novelty of seeing him had worn off and as people worked out that he was poncing a free ticket to the game, he always got roundly booed. Not that it bothered him. He was pretty thick-skinned.

That's the thing, I'm sure I remember seeing him in the upper east stand as a kid? Must have been on the ponce, glad I didn't go anywhere near him with his (alleged?) form for noncing - shame really, ruined my memory of him!

I read that obituary and decided to google Erica Roe (the Twickenham Streaker) as he was responsible for covering her up during her performance.

She was from Petersfield so there's another tenuous localish link and actually has her own wikipedia page unlike Bill who I'd have thought would have from what was said in the obituary.

He was also Bournemouth's mascot for some years and used to come out and run around the pitch ala Sammy Saint does for us. He also belonged to Bournemouth Spartans who swan on Christmas day and I believe he was a member of Poole Wheelers Cycling Club.

His obituary doesn't mention his "fondness" for young boys.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/obituary-ken-baily-1467167.html

I am not sure there was any fondness, just a rather weird old guy. Unless someone knows some bones to put on the kiddy fiddling story, I don't reckon it's true, well not up to his mid - late 70's anayway. My Auntie lived in the same block of flats and her husband always warned me about him when I went to stay. But after 15 years he came to the conclusion he was just a "weird old fooker". For some reason I met him several times in night clubs where he would just go round shaking everybody's hand then disappear. He had a heart of gold in respect to local charities and was continually conned out of "bus many home". I was always very wary of the guy because of his attitude to life and speech. He was as fit as a fiddle and very few of those good at sports as teenagers could keep up with him, pretty sure he was into most sports to county standard. Just as well he gave up boxing though as his whole face and palette got flattened, hence the speech. Everyone in my generation thought he was suspect, but I never heard anything to back that up.

I read that obituary and decided to google Erica Roe (the Twickenham Streaker) as he was responsible for covering her up during her performance.

She was from Petersfield so there's another tenuous localish link and actually has her own wikipedia page unlike Bill who I'd have thought would have from what was said in the obituary.

At the time Erica worked in John PFC W******d's dads bookshop.

Didn't he used to carry blue and red victory signs? I recall him holding them aloft as he walked around the pitch, cheers for the red boos for the blue. As a kid I always though it was a political thing, looking back it was probably team colours, though Liverpool wore yellow in them days and that's the only time I'd see the sponging toerag.

He used to hang around the ice rink in Bournemouth; If you told him it was your birthday he would give you a quid. I must he over a hundred by now.

Good work, bet that was a lot back in those days. Hope you've managed to suppress those 'other' memories of him though :thumbup:

He would be if he was still alive.....but he isn't !

I think Cricketphilly was implying that he used to tell (lie to :eek:) KB that it was his (Cricketphillys) birthday in order to get a quid out of the old fella, and if you added up all the times he (Cricketp) did this, to his actual age now, the total would be over 100, not that KB is over a hundred.

HTH ;)

I think Cricketphilly was implying that he used to tell (lie to :eek:) KB that it was his (Cricketphillys) birthday in order to get a quid out of the old fella, and if you added up all the times he (Cricketp) did this, to his actual age now, the total would be over 100, not that KB is over a hundred.

HTH ;)

Cooorrect!