Radio Hampshire tonight

Give it to Ron

Is it me or is Jan being very tentative when asked about finance questions or anything more probing? It's nice to hear them chatting but I think there's a few questions all fans want to ask in current circumstances. I'll give them a chance but so far it's been pretty lame and one phone in guy doing nothing but praise the football we play. Seems odd considering results. We've had glimpses but nothing to write home about.

He seems edgey and nervous. Could be radio nerves & language barrier slightly but I don't think so completely. Jan's answer in response to the question about keeping Surman and Lallana and finances was avoided pretty well (in any depth) and Lowe's name not even mentioned. He is the director of football/chairman/running the show at St Mary's, isn't he?! (or is that a badly kept secret?!) Seems to like the power but won't have his name mentioned or was that Jan being discrete? Bet he has a mantra to read from. Sorry. Being cynical.

Hope the interview gets a bit more probing with current team matters, not just this window dressing. Suppose, what did we expect?! Blow some more smoke please Stuart!

Interesting to hear some more calls due...SOMEONE PHONE IN AND ASK A PROPER QUESTION (if it gets through the Radio Hants filter although they are now supposed to be independent!)

Oh god,fella on now complainig about the colour of boots the players wear.

Did chuckle at that and liked the "lightweight player" question which Jan wasn't too good at answering, more fobbing the guy off saying in heavy, muddy winter months lightweight players may come off better. Didn't see how and he didn't really explain. :confused:

See if Svensson can beat the recorded "you know" responses in a single sentence record! I counted 7 "you knows" in one short ditty! LOL bless him!! Someone call Norris Mc Whirter!!

See if Svensson can beat the recorded "you know" responses in a single sentence record! I counted 7 "you knows" in one short ditty! LOL bless him!! Someone call Norris Mc Whirter!!

Thats nothing. Watch the speedway GP series next season and see how many Nicki Pedersen fits in! Oops sorry, going off on a tangent...

I've been listening for the last 15 minutes and no surprises - Jan was as straight down the line as I expected, and Michael was his usual modest self. One thing we did learn was that Jan picks the team, and he says Saints WILL be looking at much better times soon. I think his soon is probably building towards next season, as the squad matures.

Have to say that every time I hear Jan, I warm to him.

Heard him a few times on the radio now and also heard him after the West Ham game in the corporate suites and he is engaging. Some of his language issues actually add to his warmth (I stil have massive concerns about him being the right manager though, as in Wigley was - and still is - a nice guy).

Was very positive, alittle bit non commital on some things, usual standard replies on others.

Said he had recently spoken to a season ticket holder of 60 years or so who no longer goes and was quite concerned about it.

However, wasn't convinced of his answer to the question about who signs/identifies the players and what Lowe's role was on this one.

I may be wrong, but thought he said something like he didn't know alot about English players, then he sounded slightly unsure & mumbled and ended by saying there are a number of scouts who pick the players. His reply didn't rule Lowe out being involved in the identification.

Was quite clear that he picks the team at the end though.

Ray Wilkins was on radio saying that all chairman are very heavily involved in transfers and the days of managers seeking, identifying and buying are long gone -we won't be any different

Happily accept Chairman and/or Chief Execs should be involved in the buying part (i.e. doing the negotiations etc etc etc), but still think the identifiaction and final say has to be the preserve of the manager.

Ray Wilkins may be saying that, but I would counter that recent events at Newcastle and Spurs are saying the opposite. (Of course some of these new overseas rich owners may be sticking their oars in, but even when they do it still sometimes ends in tears e.g. Mourinho & Abramovich!!).

Why in fooks name is this being blocked from foreign listeners ?

was, as it's now over!!!!!!!!!!!

To be honest, you didn't miss much and The Saint (sorry Radio Hampshire) aren't really known for their in depth, Paxmanesque, tough journalistic grilling sessions.

Was a bit lame and, as UP states, he was quite non commital so it didn't really go into any depth or get into any interesting issues. Did Jan actually say the dreaded "Lowe" name? seemed to purposely avoid it when the "chairman" name was mentioned!

I felt Jan was stuttery and nervous when the questions threatened anything more than "feel good" answers so not much interest to me. The squad selecting questions were expected although didn't quite think the squad are Premiership standard, as Jan suggested (think that was said) but you're not going to motivate players by saying they're NOT up to standard (as some clearly are not - well, NONE to Premiership standard!) I think Jan is a nice bloke and one of those guys who will be positive regardless but that doesn't always mean you'll get an objective opinion!

Still, nice bloke. Just dunno how good a manager he is. Still, got until Xmas before I give a more balanced opinion.

JP seems a nice guy however it is very difficult to understand him sometimes. Not sure if i agree with his mentality and think he is more of a "we do it this way or we die trying" type of manager which in princepal would be good if it were say Wenger. People have to remember we have a 50% loss rate right now and that needs to improve bigtime or we are going to really struggle. Not sure we will get much joy from his tactics which are very negative. But the guy needs time and we as fans have to give it to him.

Happily accept Chairman and/or Chief Execs should be involved in the buying part (i.e. doing the negotiations etc etc etc), but still think the identifiaction and final say has to be the preserve of the manager.

Ray Wilkins may be saying that, but I would counter that recent events at Newcastle and Spurs are saying the opposite. (Of course some of these new overseas rich owners may be sticking their oars in, but even when they do it still sometimes ends in tears e.g. Mourinho & Abramovich!!).

his interview was commenting on the Keegan saga, stating the KK was unrealistic if KK expects to be given pot of money and let get on with it,

Was a bit lame and, as UP states, he was quite non commital so it didn't really go into any depth or get into any interesting issues. Did Jan actually say the dreaded "Lowe" name? seemed to purposely avoid it when the "chairman" name was mentioned!

I felt Jan was stuttery and nervous when the questions threatened anything more than "feel good" answers so not much interest to me. The squad selecting questions were expected although didn't quite think the squad are Premiership standard, as Jan suggested (think that was said) but you're not going to motivate players by saying they're NOT up to standard (as some clearly are not - well, NONE to Premiership standard!) I think Jan is a nice bloke and one of those guys who will be positive regardless but that doesn't always mean you'll get an objective opinion!

Still, nice bloke. Just dunno how good a manager he is. Still, got until Xmas before I give a more balanced opinion.

as a matter of interest, were you one of the (like me) people who prior to Lowe leaving last time was fed up of hearing about and from Lowe?

I would rather he was not in our faces.

his interview was commenting on the Keegan saga, stating the KK was unrealistic if KK expects to be given pot of money and let get on with it,

To be fair, I think KK is a one off special case (maybe of the nut kind) who I wouldn't trust with my pocket money!!!

as a matter of interest, were you one of the (like me) people who prior to Lowe leaving last time was fed up of hearing about and from Lowe?

I would rather he was not in our faces.

I was but, sadly, he controls our club in the background and so becomes topic of conversation and answerable, even if he hasn't the b*llocks to stand up and take the flack. Coward that he is.

In fact, the current tenure is now exactly as UM and many other level headed types (like the sadly departed Fitzhugh Fella) stipulated. A nightmare. Pearson offloaded, our best 2 players (Safri and Davies sold!), A mystery person in the background sanctioning loans of inexperienced and often injured youth of little worth, Strange squad selection (apparently all Jan), Every performing player of any value sold, Corners closed, Total football mantra spun for all (seems to be that of the youth system Hockaday had in place) and many players not ready for the CCC thrust into the gunfire (hence the drubbings!) and the management still persisting with Dave Mc bl*ody Gold*****!

When exactly do managers get to do this though? The best they can hope for is to catch a midweek game now and again and, based on the fact we pay peanuts, I doubt he's got Sky or Setanta!

So the manager HAS to rely on scouts to spot talent. Good managers will develop a team they trust around them and themselves identify weaknesses in their current team to be patched by new recruits spotted by their scouts. I agree though it should always be their final say.

Scheiderlin and Holmes are two reasons why I think it's working however it is set up.

I was but, sadly, he controls our club in the background and so becomes topic of conversation and answerable, even if he hasn't the b*llocks to stand up and take the flack. Coward that he is.

In fact, the current tenure is now exactly as UM and many other level headed types (like the sadly departed Fitzhugh Fella) stipulated. A nightmare. Pearson offloaded, our best 2 players (Safri and Davies sold!), A mystery person in the background sanctioning loans of inexperienced and often injured youth of little worth, Strange squad selection (apparently all Jan), Every performing player of any value sold, Corners closed, Total football mantra spun for all (seems to be that of the youth system Hockaday had in place) and many players not ready for the CCC thrust into the gunfire (hence the drubbings!) and the management still persisting with Dave Mc bl*ody Gold*****!

Jesus you're a negative ****er!

Jesus you're a negative ****er!

Sorry sir. Maybe I could grab a seat next to you on the bus and we could all go & watch Saints drill loads past the opposition in the Premiership, in a stadium filled to capacity while our globally envied coaching staff rejoice and our enigmatic, competent, community-orientated, generous, fan pleasing chairman cheers and ploughs in a few million more to help us compete at the highest level (whilst refuting numerous offers for our shining stars).

Sadly, we don't live in a parallel universe. We live at St Mary's and, last time I checked, there wasn't that much to sing and rejoice about. Or, did I miss something? Life at St Mary's is tough. The cold realism of our situation doesn't make pleasant reading. Learn to deal with it! ;)