Tonights Game

Window Cleaner

See than Jan has put out his usual pre-match piece on the OS.

Some info in there: No Gillet or Robertson, both injured apparently.

Probably explains Robertson's absence last Saturday, hamstring .

Smith back in squad.

We're looking for more presence in the box.

That's about it.

I'm quite pleased Gillett isn't getting a game, I just don't rate him in any way whatsoever.

I'm quite pleased Gillett isn't getting a game, I just don't rate him in any way whatsoever.

Me neither, and I was worried for our prospects this season when people were crowing about him in the friendlies and saying he was our best player by a mile!!!!!!!!!

I know some make it late in the game, but the lad is no youngster, he's 23 in a couple of weeks.

I know some make it late in the game, but the lad is no youngster, he's 23 in a couple of weeks.

He's younger than me, which - in my eyes at least - makes him a youngster :D

Robertson's been a bit of a strange one so far, he was outstanding against Norwich but I'm not sure I remember him actually touching the ball against Watford!

Smith being available again is useful, particularly as it may mean that Wright-Phillips won't have to play. I'd like to see Pekhart given another go. While he's not set the world alight in the games he's played so far, he's the sort of player who should be able to hold the ball up a lot better than we have been doing in recent games.

Defenders will make mistakes, but they will be more likely to make MORE mistakes if we're constantly defending, and if we're not keeping hold of the ball up front, we'll be defending for the vast majority of the game.

Me neither, and I was worried for our prospects this season when people were crowing about him in the friendlies and saying he was our best player by a mile!!!!!!!!!

Fabregas is 21,C Ronaldo is 23,Beckham started playing for England (not the U21s ) at 20.

Kid's in football now are 16.

I'm about to jump on a bus from London to go to my first game.

I know this is about as low as this club has been but I'm flying back to Australia on Thursday and I'm really excited.

If anybody has any advice on what pubs to go to before/after the game or any other general information (in light of the current situation I know that will be interesting) can you let us know?

I'll be on the net later in the afternoon.

Thanks

Gillett is very poor. I originally thought he was awful and wouldn't make it, then saw him pre-season and thought perhaps I was wrong. He seemed to carry that on into the first few weeks, but since the Blackpool home game he's been abysmal. Terrible passing, can't shoot, can't keep posession. Central midfield is too important to have him in there. That's where we struggle with teams dominating us.

Morgan needs to stay fit and needs a decent partner in there. Could be Cork, but then we're screwed at right back. Wotton? Or even James? Perhaps he would make an impact in midfield, which is his natural position. I'd go with this tonight anyway...

Davis

Cork Lancashire Perry Surman

Thomson Schneiderlin James Skacel

Lallana

Pekhart

Lancashire's suspended...

He's younger than me, which - in my eyes at least - makes him a youngster :D

Robertson's been a bit of a strange one so far, he was outstanding against Norwich but I'm not sure I remember him actually touching the ball against Watford!

Smith being available again is useful, particularly as it may mean that Wright-Phillips won't have to play. I'd like to see Pekhart given another go. While he's not set the world alight in the games he's played so far, he's the sort of player who should be able to hold the ball up a lot better than we have been doing in recent games.

Defenders will make mistakes, but they will be more likely to make MORE mistakes if we're constantly defending, and if we're not keeping hold of the ball up front, we'll be defending for the vast majority of the game.

I thought Robertson got nothing against Watford, in his defence. I also thought Pekhart looked like a poor mans Paul Moody v Donny so i think it has to be Robertson that get's another start.

I'm very very sceptical about Smith. Really hope i'm wrong, he had 10 mins in the 2nd half v Watford he looked like he might be ok, but to be fair, had the actual presence and ability of Dyer when it came to the final ball.

I think we are actually running out of players that are fit or not loaned out to get even a half way decent XI tonight!

Gillett is very poor. I originally thought he was awful and wouldn't make it, then saw him pre-season and thought perhaps I was wrong. He seemed to carry that on into the first few weeks, but since the Blackpool home game he's been abysmal. Terrible passing, can't shoot, can't keep posession. Central midfield is too important to have him in there. That's where we struggle with teams dominating us.

Morgan needs to stay fit and needs a decent partner in there. Could be Cork, but then we're screwed at right back. Wotton? Or even James? Perhaps he would make an impact in midfield, which is his natural position. I'd go with this tonight anyway...

Davis

Cork Lancashire Perry Surman

Thomson Schneiderlin James Skacel

Lallana

Pekhart

Lancashire is suspended. I don't think Pekhart figures in our plans any more,

not as a starter anyway. Must be some sort of problem with him.

May even see Gasmi on the bench, don't think he'll get a game though.

tr

I thought Robertson got nothing against Watford, in his defence. I also thought Pekhart looked like a poor mans Paul Moody v Donny so i think it has to be Robertson that get's another start.

I'm very very sceptical about Smith. Really hope i'm wrong, he had 10 mins in the 2nd half v Watford he looked like he might be ok, but to be fair, had the actual presence and ability of Dyer when it came to the final ball.

I think we are actually running out of players that are fit or not loaned out to get even a half way decent XI tonight!

roberston is injured.

Front pair =McG and BWP.

Unless Paterson gets a full game.

fair point, well made.

But you must not forget that for every David Beckham there's a Jimmy Bullard and for every Michael Owen there's an Ian Wright...

But this is the trouble with the Academy, unless you've saleable finished articles

to put on the market at 17/18 years old it's not worth the cost;

You can find hundreds of Greek,Spanish,Portuguese,African,Brazilian kids

who ARE the real mccoy at 17 and 18.

We got loads of swans for Walcott and Bale because they were playing in the first team and performing at a very young age. After that they become swamped in the mass of professional footballers on the market.

This is why we shouldn't wait too long with Lallana and Surman, they're getting past the "wonderkid" age and we'll get a few bob but nothing more.

I feel more depressed finding out that Lancashire's ban is two games, Gillett is injured and Smith and James both likely to start.

Davis

Cork Wotton Perry Mills

Euell Surman Schneiderlin Skacel

BWP Patterson

Edited by Chez

[hooray a football thread!]

I disagree about Gillett - he comes and goes but generally he's an okay player. My attempt at a line up would be:

-----------Davis

Cork--Wotton--Perry---Mills

----Morgan----Surman

Thomson-----------Skacel

------Lallana

-----------Pekhart

Subs: Forecast, BWP, Patterson, White, James

Bugger it's really hard to work out who of our non-striking strikers to stick up front!

I'm about to jump on a bus from London to go to my first game.

I know this is about as low as this club has been but I'm flying back to Australia on Thursday and I'm really excited.

If anybody has any advice on what pubs to go to before/after the game or any other general information (in light of the current situation I know that will be interesting) can you let us know?

I'll be on the net later in the afternoon.

Thanks

King Alfred or the Eagle are pretty good IMO.

Didier Drogba didn't even sign a professional contract until he was 21. It's different for every player.

He was at Le Mans in 1998, aged 19,whether he had a contract pro or not I couldn't say.Came to France aged 5 with his uncle with the express purpose of becoming a pro-footballer. I bet he got some "boot money" at Levallois Perret aged 15.

He was at Le Mans in 1998, aged 19,whether he had a contract pro or not I couldn't say.Came to France aged 5 with his uncle with the express purpose of becoming a pro-footballer. I bet he got some "boot money" at Levallois Perret aged 15.

Also, he used to be played at rightback. A bit of a Kevin Phillips story I guess.

[hooray a football thread!]

I disagree about Gillett - he comes and goes but generally he's an okay player. My attempt at a line up would be:

-----------Davis

Cork--Wotton--Perry---Mills

----Morgan----Surman

Thomson-----------Skacel

------Lallana

-----------Pekhart

Subs: Forecast, BWP, Patterson, White, James

Bugger it's really hard to work out who of our non-striking strikers to stick up front!

+1

I like the look of that line-up. It would have looked better with John though. Not enough clinical finishing in that side.