Are we better off than when Crouch was here?

Channon's Sideburns

TBH Stanely' date=' think what you like, I dont need your sympathy ( really not sure how you work this out BTW?). I am happy with my part in all this - only raised it again as response to a question rom UP, naturally, would have preferred it to have had a more positive outcome, but hey you live and learn... also at the end of the day this is Football FFS, .... in the grand scheme of things its seems that the resentment and bitterness expressed by a few is vastly inflated given what we are talking about...[/quote']

I liked your bit about live and learn...my feeling is that it could happen all over again...with people so eager to be ITK they will not learn from the past

Keep digging Nick :)

Oh, and by the way - no one (I repeat no one) has a bigger ego than Mr Lowe and that............... is a fact not an opinion.

I have no idea who you are LS, or who is right in your debate with nickh ,but you are coming across as someone with an enormous axe to grind.

I have no idea who you are LS, or who is right in your debate with nickh ,but you are coming across as someone with an enormous axe to grind.

My "axe" is simple St_Tel.

I believe that the presence of Mr Lowe at Southampton FC is a real and dangerous factor in our fight against administration and even survival. With that in mind I can make no apology for grinding my axe as hard as I can.

Now you may chose to disbelieve me or even prefer to shoot the messenger rather than listen to the message, but events are quickly coming to a head and a lot of the serious players in this drama (I refer mainly to the bank and potential investors) are mightily, mightily sick of having to deal with Lowe and his ego.

banks will be more worried about financial viability, stability etc than egos - whether he is the man for that or not it another issue.

I think it is unlikely that we will get "investors" as a plc with shares shared around as much.

"investors" are much more likely to appear as new owners -in which case they will be replacing Lowe so his personality is not an issue to them, surely?

I believe that the presence of Mr Lowe at Southampton FC is a real and dangerous factor in our fight against administration and even survival. With that in mind I can make no apology for grinding my axe as hard as I can.

Now you may chose to disbelieve me or even prefer to shoot the messenger rather than listen to the message, but events are quickly coming to a head and a lot of the serious players in this drama (I refer mainly to the bank and potential investors) are mightily, mightily sick of having to deal with Lowe and his ego.

LS I havent heard any of that.

Surely if the club need to increase the overdraft they have to get the banks permission. RL cannot just go on writing cheques. I may also add a few weeks back it was said on here that RL was not in charge anyway as he was basically being told by the special operations staff at barclays what to do. Therefore it doesn't square, whicjh one is correct, it is all very messy and confusing.

I woud have thought RL was very much a banks man and so is part of their mindset and so would get on well. Could you give us a clue without compromising your sources what you mean about his ego upsetting the banks?

LS I havent heard any of that.

Surely if the club need to increase the overdraft they have to get the banks permission. RL cannot just go on writing cheques. I may also add a few weeks back it was said on here that RL was not in charge anyway as he was basically being told by the special operations staff at barclays what to do. Therefore it doesn't square, whicjh one is correct, it is all very messy and confusing.

I woud have thought RL was very much a banks man and so is part of their mindset and so would get on well. Could you give us a clue without compromising your sources what you mean about his ego upsetting the banks?

The trouble with Lowe is attitude and arrogance...he defers to nobody...when you deal with banks you have to have tact and diplomacy...something lacking in Lowe. Go i9n all guns blazing and you are stuffed !!

The trouble with Lowe is attitude and arrogance...he defers to nobody...when you deal with banks you have to have tact and diplomacy...something lacking in Lowe. Go i9n all guns blazing and you are stuffed !!

I don't particularly doubt what you're saying in broad terms, but how do you know how his one-to-one dealings with Barclays have gone?

I agree, and of course it also depends on whether you are coming at a position of strength.

I would be surprised if he was as foolish to rub them up but as LS has said it seems he has been.

Iam not getting these soundings but it may come from a source that is close to LS.

I don't...I only know the man, having been in his company many times in the executive suites

Which leads me back to the 'closer you are, the less you see' argument. I really think the personal attacks on Lowe, especially by people on here who knew/know him, are counter-productive.

Firstly, it seems to me that the real focus for any criticism of Lowe should be his decisions - eg Lowe 'revolution' in all its odd guises.

Secondly, Lowe is who he is - it's not as if he's a leopard constantly changing his spots. The real focus of criticism in my view should be Wilde. Lowe wouldn't be there without him. And after Frank's revelations the other day, it seems possible Wilde might have gone into that treacherous pact without even considering that Lowe would throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I don't...I only know the man, having been in his company many times in the executive suites
I have never met him, but can see he is not the most easy person to sociallise with. Although i have quite a few people who do from his hunting fishing lot and they say he is good company and bores them with his talk about football and Saints (they arent into football)

Perhaps it must be hard having fans asking him the same questions and always trying to tell him to do his job. Even to the most mild mannered it would get tedious.

I have never met him, but can see he is not the most easy person to sociallise with. Although i have quite a few people who do from his hunting fishing lot and they say he is good company and bores them with his talk about football and Saints (they arent into football)

Perhaps it must be hard having fans asking him the same questions and always trying to tell him to do his job. Even to the most mild mannered it would get tedious.

The late great Ted bates, Lawrie Mac , jim Steele and Peter Osgood ,Alan Ball et al...always had time to talk to supporters ,even if it was tedious, they never showed it. Played golf with Osgood and Jim Steele they were great

Originally Posted by St_Tel49 viewpost.gif

And who would you suggest? We have had enough foot and mouth outbreaks from Crouch, whilst simultaneously running head long into oblivion.

Whilst the bank is unhappy, it is because of the current financial crisis and our own declining position from reducing gates. They would prefer us to declare bakruptcy ourselves, whilst there is more chance of a better return, rather than when we hit the buffers. So your advice would be just to give in immediately to administration? As for this ego with dealings with the bank, you are spouting shiete. Just because both sides are looking out for their own companies interest is not a matter of ego, that's what they are both meant to do.

As for the potential investors, which is where all your direction is coming from, you are redefining the term potential. Though in fairness, negative potential is a well understood concept. After all this time and the shiete spouted by these potential investors, there are still those that hang their hat on this promise.

The simple fact is these "investors" or in laymans terms, "blokes down the pub talking ******", will not be able to do any different without the club going into administration, to wipe out the debts and existing contracts.

The simple fact is these "investors" or in laymans terms, "blokes down the pub talking ******", will not be able to do any different without the club going into administration, to wipe out the debts and existing contracts.
Do you think Lowe would be willing to sell to a rival faction, even if the deal on offer would avoid us going into administration?

Lowe is hardly the first person running a football club to have a big ego. In fact, it is very hard to get in a position of running a football club, big company or be in political power without a sizeable ego. I am sure Barclays are used to dealing with big egos.

Lowe is hardly the first person running a football club to have a big ego. In fact, it is very hard to get in a position of running a football club, big company or be in political power without a sizeable ego. I am sure Barclays are used to dealing with big egos.

Exactly. Focusing on Lowe's ego is at best a side issue, and at worst is really misleading.

I just don't follow the logic: if a large ego is a 'bad thing', and Lowe has a big ego, do we also conclude that the ego of others, like Alex Ferguson or The Chosen One, or even Flavio Briatore, are a 'bad thing'?

Exactly. Focusing on Lowe's ego is at best a side issue, and at worst is really misleading.

I just don't follow the logic: if a large ego is a 'bad thing', and Lowe has a big ego, do we also conclude that the ego of others, like Alex Ferguson or The Chosen One, or even Flavio Briatore, are a 'bad thing'?

Unfortunately his ego his leading him to make decisions that are far from the best interests of the club. Nor is his erratic behaviour winning him friends in influential places. This is where the danger arises.

Whereas Barclays were once content to give the club a certain amount of leeway, Lowe's current stubborness is... how can I put it, causing worrying difficulties in fraught times.

Unfortunately his ego his leading him to make decisions that are far from the best interests of the club. Nor is his erratic behaviour winning him friends in influential places. This is where the danger arises.

Whereas Barclays were once content to give the club a certain amount of leeway, Lowe's current stubborness is... how can I put it, causing worrying difficulties in fraught times.

I agree with a lot of what you say, but how do you know Barclays aren't happy?

I agree with a lot of what you say, but how do you know Barclays aren't happy?

A well-placed source whose identity obviously I cannot reveal - sorry. I have no right to expect anyone to believe me and I have admitted to having an axe to grind but the info is, imo genuine, accurate and true.

I think there are one or two others on here who have heard similar stories from alternative reliable sources too, but these are dangerous times. I best not say any more.

Well if his decisions are proving disastrous for the club, and his ego (really his stubbornness, I suspect) is as you describe, there's little that we as outsiders - or even you as a recent insider - can do about it.

Which is why I still believe that the weak link in all this - in other words, the way to break the chain - is not Lowe but Wilde.

Wilde has the power to remove Lowe by withdrawing his support. If things are as you say they are, then even the bank would favour that.

My personal view and I know absolutely nothing from inside...Wilde is getting desperate, his own finances are in meltdown, very soon he will off load his shares to the first person to come up with an offer that minimises another loss. The question is...is there anyone out there prepared to make an offer that would give Wilde some of his investment back?

On Mark Dennis's show on Radio Hampshire on Thursday night Jo Tessem was the guest. He was saying how he has kept his fitness and how he had recently contacted the Saints with a view to training with the squad and perhaps even helping out on the playing side if required. Apparently Rupert Lowe vetoed the idea. Further evidence that JP is not in charge of footballing matters according to Mark Dennis

Lowe and his ego strike again !!!

My personal view and I know absolutely nothing from inside...Wilde is getting desperate, his own finances are in meltdown, very soon he will off load his shares to the first person to come up with an offer that minimises another loss. The question is...is there anyone out there prepared to make an offer that would give Wilde some of his investment back?

A fair precis Snowballs - question is does he sell to a "Lowe friendly" camp or a "Crouch friendly" camp? My hunch is.... he would prefer the former but the Crouch camp maybe more "strategically" positioned.

Must dash I can hear the hounds getting close.

Desperate to sell since Dec 07? Him joining forces with Lowe has always been about strengthening his selling position. Is he using Lowe? I think so.

think most peoples complaints against Lowe are just they don't like him.

Many of the issues stated that he is doing things wrong and getting berated turn out to be made up, exagerated, by Crouch etc.

To open the flood gates -what (facts not made up rumours like team talk etc) has Lowe done wrong since returning?

There will be some mixed opinions on NP v JP

Really don't know about Wilde but surely there must be some substantive reason for him to seek yet another change?

On Mark Dennis's show on Radio Hampshire on Thursday night Jo Tessem was the guest. He was saying how he has kept his fitness and how he had recently contacted the Saints with a view to training with the squad and perhaps even helping out on the playing side if required. Apparently Rupert Lowe vetoed the idea. Further evidence that JP is not in charge of footballing matters according to Mark Dennis

Dennis is a great listen for his views on a range of subjects which have a common thread - OTT views based on no facts, classic talk about this new prime minister bloke in the states!

Wasn't Tessem rejected/released by Bournemouth

Dennis is a great listen for his views on a range of subjects which have a common thread - OTT views based on no facts, classic talk about this new prime minister bloke in the states!

This was Jo Tessem live on the radio, Mark just said that it confirmed that Lowe was calling all the shots, JP just coaches what he is given !

To open the flood gates -what (facts not made up rumours like team talk etc) has Lowe done right since returning?

There will be some mixed opinions on NP v JP

Really don't know about Wilde but surely there must be some substantive reason for him to seek yet another change?

Some balance:D

From this I can only deduce that if you are right then something fairly major is going to happen soon one way or another - administration or takeover. Care to offer any time scales?

Mark Dennis is very anti Lowe, and is vey much pro LM so Im not surprised he says such things as Lowe is running things as he wants to raise the pressure

A fair precis Snowballs - question is does he sell to a "Lowe friendly" camp or a "Crouch friendly" camp? My hunch is.... he would prefer the former but the Crouch camp maybe more "strategically" positioned.

Must dash I can hear the hounds getting close.

If it is only shares changing hands it is just another case of reaaranging the chairs on the Titanic.

So a pro LC group buys the shares, we get no investment but LOwe pushed out

A pro Lowe group buy the shares and we are where we are. To me neither gets me excited, and in fact perhaps the first versdio9n may mean more upheaval just as things may be starting to settle.

Again all I want is a clean sweep of the whole lot.

From this I can only deduce that if you are right then something fairly major is going to happen soon one way or another - administration or takeover. Care to offer any time scales?

Your deduction is almost certainly correct St_Tel, but only a fool would say, on here, exactly when. Fairly soon I would imagine as administration was forecasted Feb 09 and that was with expected gates of 17,000+.

Gotta go................................... "Indiana wants me"

So how would Tessem help us? Tessem was hardly a passing player and was only adequate and has since been released by L2 Bournemouth.

Just because he played for us once doesnt mean he is right to fit into the dynamics now and i doubt he would be doing it free of charge.

I liked your bit about live and learn...my feeling is that it could happen all over again...with people so eager to be ITK they will not learn from the past

I agree that its important that any future 'initiative' learns from previous experiences, but should this negative one stop those wanting to from trying? Snowballs, I know you wont believ it, but hand on heart I did not get involved in all that to somehow be in the know - I kinda expected that we would not learn very much that could be comunicated and that the agreement from Wilde to take part was very much because he felt he would get something out of it, but I did welcome the opportunity to actually meet the guy and find out for myself what he was like. I had been very cybical towards him when he turned up initially and I wanted to see for myself whether I was right or wrong.

I guess what has always bugged me about many fans is that we dont distinguish between the personality and the what they are actually doing. Mike Wilde I guess is probably a reasonable guy, has family like most and wants the best for them and himself - yet because we dont agree with the way he has used his shares in the club and thus the way he has acted froma clubs perspective, fans seem hell bent on making out hes the second devil after Lowe.

I have not agreed with many of the decisons the club has made under Lowe, Wilde or Crouch, some I could understand but IMHO still thought they were wrong, same as now i guess, I like the idea of what the club is trying given the finances, but it is perhaps wrong, not because it might not work, but because of the split it causes amongst the fans - should all deciisons be made with the fans in mind? NO, but some should even if we dont agree.

With respect to the current situation, many are angry as they feel Lowe is 'interfering' - well I think alot depends on the definition of the word. Is he picking the side and tactics? NO, is he taking training? No, Is he telling JPP what to do? NO.

But Its a pretty good guess he is controlling signings and sales right now. Why? Because he would probably argue that given the current financial crap we are in sales inparticular will happen for NON-FOOTBALLING reasons despite what it means for JP and his squad. Now I can understand why this might make ALL fans angry because it directly interferes with the situation on the pitch, but from a club survival perspective, surely it makes sense to do what is necessary regardless of how unpopular it may be?

I guess in some respects what I am saying is that, right now perhaps Lowe is the right man for teh job, purely because his ego is so big and he does not give a flying feck what gans think when he makes the unpopular but perhaps necessary decisions? Thats just speculatio of course, but I am just trying to illustrate the alternative view.

If that hyperthetical thought was correct then it would support the rationale for having a continental style coach who is used to having players arrive and leave and get on with the coaching of what is available? Was this instigated to ensure the 'manager' did not go ape when players were sold/arrived without his control... it would be logical. Some will say because it suits their purpose that its alll because of ego, but it is just as likely or possible thats its beacuse of necessity? I dont know the answer because I have never had the cahnce to ask Lowe directly, or know him well enough to judge the truth in a response - and nor do 99.99% of those that post on here with their opinion which they see as 'fact' - purely because its what they believe as opposed to what they actually know. That is the frustraing bit about seeing fans rip each other apart based on opinion formed with minimal knowledge... its very sad really as we all want to see the very best from the side and see the club suceed - its only a very very small minority that would rather see us fail than succeed with the current set up, but many more are disillusioned and angry with it because of opinions formed on speculation. I guess this could be summed up the following hyperthtical situation:

Say the current chairman was Ted Bates and afterall he done for the club, he had bought it back in the 80s - but as his money ran out and we had a succession of managers that did not work out, we were relegated and found ourselves in the same situation fi9nancially as we do now, the same coaching set up etc but with teh same stuttering inconsistency. Would we be resenting him as a chairman? Or would his past and the respect that deserves, mask any current flaws? Are we judging the current situation based on finances on Lowe's previous feck ups and our general dislike for him, rather than rationally assessing the logic of the strategy?

If it is only shares changing hands it is just another case of reaaranging the chairs on the Titanic.

A pro Lowe group buy the shares and we are where we are. To me neither gets me excited, and in fact perhaps the first versdio9n may mean more upheaval just as things may be starting to settle.

"just as things starting to settle"? - you're surely having a larf, Nickh. You are a wag.:rolleyes:

Frank C you said

With respect to the current situation, many are angry as they feel Lowe is 'interfering' - well I think alot depends on the definition of the word. Is he picking the side and tactics? NO, is he taking training? No, Is he telling JPP what to do? NO.

How do you know Frank? You seem very sure.

I happen to think you are wrong, especially with your 3rd NO - perhaps you can post some proof to make me change my mind?

"just as things starting to settle"? - you're surely having a larf, Nickh. You are a wag.:rolleyes:
Well you might not think they aren't LS but genarally the fanbase are supportive of the way the playing side is moving on. Fans have accepted the position we are in and in the main do not care about the boardroom wrangles and supporting the team.

You must understand that whilst you have a crusade and personal wish to rid the club of RL a lot are prepared and realistic to understand the way things are.

You tell us that the LC group are closer to take over, that is fine but will they appease the bank and work with what we have got or tear it apart and start again.

I'm not sure that I want the upheaval of change again so quickly. A lot of fans are confused what is going on and no doubt the players dont need the uncertanity. Get your friends to move quickly and a clean deal without leaving people nursing wounds. Surely the club cant go through another long vote and EGM

I happen to think you are wrong, especially with your 3rd NO - perhaps you can post some proof to make me change my mind?

Have you read GiveittoRons explaination of how things are about this? He seems more anti RL than a lot but put up something plausible on that question that he had been reliably been told.

We have to take these things on face value and it does make sense.

A lot of people have been used as pawns on here by all sides and so it could be dangerous to beleive all chapter and verse.

On the field we are almost settled but we are hardly settled off the pitch. What with Wilde looking for a way out and Lowe dithering with potential investors. Does he sell and save the club but loose his executive postion or does he stick it out and hope we avoid administration?

On the field we are almost settled but we are hardly settled off the pitch. What with Wilde looking for a way out and Lowe dithering with potential investors. Does he sell and save the club but loose his executive postion or does he stick it out and hope we avoid administration?
Thats the problem, I look first at what is happening on the pitch and so think that is important, and is to me personally as a fan.

Well you might not think they aren't LS but genarally the fanbase are supportive of the way the playing side is moving on. Fans have accepted the position we are in and in the main do not care about the boardroom wrangles and supporting the team.

I think you're being rather presumptious there nick.

Attendances certainly show that many haven't bought into this new "revolutionary coaching set up".

Addtionally, whilst many others, myself included, are willing to give the lads (and Jan) our support, that doesn't mean that we are in agreement of Lowe's involvement or even where the Club is heading (but of course we would all love this to come off).

And in a way, that's my problem with Franks posts on this subject. Whilst it was OK for him to be worried about the future direction of our Club a while back (so much in fact that he got deeply involved), now it is deemed negative, vitriolic and unrealistic to have concerns about the plght of our Club.

Your deduction is almost certainly correct St_Tel, but only a fool would say, on here, exactly when. Fairly soon I would imagine as administration was forecasted Feb 09 and that was with expected gates of 17,000+.

Gotta go................................... "Indiana wants me"

Is this a cryptic clue?

Indiana as in Jones, Jones as in David Jones. Or am i barking up the wrong tree or maybe just barking?;)

I think you're being rather presumptious there nick.

Attendances certainly show that many haven't bought into this new "revolutionary coaching set up".

Addtionally, whilst many others, myself included, are willing to give the lads (and Jan) our support, that doesn't mean that we are in agreement of Lowe's involvement or even where the Club is heading (but of course we would all love this to come off).

And in a way, that's my problem with Franks posts on this subject. Whilst it was OK for him to be worried about the future direction of our Club a while back (so much in fact that he got deeply involved), now it is deemed negative, vitriolic and unrealistic to have concerns about the plght of our Club.

Ump, I agree, but generally the fans are accepting what is happening on the pitch (if we win I dont care who runs things,if we lose I do. Thats being a fickle football fan)

I dont know FC but have read his posts and have always felt he tries to be balanced.

Yes he was worried and i suggest he still is but you must understand that when a post is put up telling us the end is nigh, the chairman is losing trust with the bank etc and when a counter arguement or question put up you are told to shut up, 'as its true, as I said it was'

Some may be hearing things from the club (source etc ) but haven't we been down that road many times before.It is not that the person hasn't integrity but we seem to be embroiled in nasty politics and the wheat needs to be sorted from the chaff.

Thats the problem, I look first at what is happening on the pitch and so think that is important, and is to me personally as a fan.
I agreed but the off field events will soon impact negatively on the on field events. Not wanting to be a doom merchant but the credit crunch has not yet peaked, and therefore the club's ability to generate new income over the next 12mths is going to be very challenging or near impossible. I hope the guardians running our club are seriously searching for investment but I worry that Rupert is too focused on retaining power and will take the club to the brink of administration before talking to rival factions who could improve our financial wellbeing during these difficult times.