Are we better off than when Crouch was here?

Channon's Sideburns

Just a question, perhaps I should make a few things clear before I justify that question...

I do not know Leon Crouch personally, in fact the closest I've come is driving past LPE in Lymington...plus he used to live next door to a field my family used to rent...

When Lowe and Wilde returned, much was made of the fact that L&W would 'right the wrongs of the previous board'. Well, I think now is a good time to compare before and after....

1) Financial Prudence - it has been rumoured on here for a while that we went 'spending crazy' under Crouch's tenure.

Where is the evidence of this? Sure, he sent Skacel and Rasiak out in January, and brought in loanees (Wright for example, who contributed to us staying up). So, without the benefit of the figures involved, you have to assume we broke even - or even saved a little.

BUT, now it has been mentioned on here that the company overdraft has increased further in the last few months - WHY?????? It can't just be dwindling attendances if the wage bill has 'supposedly' been trimmed....or has it?

Hardly showing financial prudence.

In fact, I feel that we are approaching a similar scenario to the relegation season, with a squad high on physical numbers, but low on talent.......and we all know how that ended up.

2. Morale

Before I start this, I am not going to comment further on the team or staff morale - because I have no idea how different it is, for better or for worse...

However, the fans morale is a different issue....the atmosphere at the last game of last season was immense..I even convinced my Dad to go on the pitch with me, and he said it was the most togetherness he had seen in supporting Saints for over 50 years...

I really felt that we had turned the corner under Pearson - yes, the playing staff wasn't ideal, but there was a fightback under way.....now, we seem to be sliding, even though the style of football has been better!

The fans are divided just six short months after we felt like a complete unit - christ even the Chapel ran on the pitch to celebrate.

I want that feeling back....

----

I really feel that in order to progress (as a CLUB) we need Mr Lowe and Mr Wilde at this time to pick up the phone, and involve Leon.

Unity is the only way forward in the short term.

Long term, we need Lowe and Wilde removed - where Leon fits into this I do not know. They are sucking the lifeblood (fans) of this club dry - forget the financials.

Yes, the credit crunch is biting (I lost my job as a Mortgage Adviser recently as a result) but there are more reasons why people are staying away - a lot of it on principle.

The reason there was such a reaction to RL going into the dressing room the other night was one reason, and one reason only - they DO NOT TRUST HIM.

TSF has been full of threads, far too many on the subject (cue the abuse for starting another ;) ) but that just shows the depth of feeling.

Somebody come and save us. PLEASE

Leon, from one Lymingtonian to another, I hope you're setting plans in motion.

Just a question, perhaps I should make a few things clear before I justify that question...

I do not know Leon Crouch personally, in fact the closest I've come is driving past LPE in Lymington...plus he used to live next door to a field my family used to rent...

When Lowe and Wilde returned, much was made of the fact that L&W would 'right the wrongs of the previous board'. Well, I think now is a good time to compare before and after....

1) Financial Prudence - it has been rumoured on here for a while that we went 'spending crazy' under Crouch's tenure.

Where is the evidence of this? Sure, he sent Skacel and Rasiak out in January, and brought in loanees (Wright for example, who contributed to us staying up). So, without the benefit of the figures involved, you have to assume we broke even - or even saved a little.

BUT, now it has been mentioned on here that the company overdraft has increased further in the last few months - WHY?????? It can't just be dwindling attendances if the wage bill has 'supposedly' been trimmed....or has it?

In fact, I feel that we are approaching a similar scenario to the relegation season, with a squad high on physical numbers, but low on talent.......and we all know how that ended up.

2. Morale

Before I start this, I am not going to comment further on the team or staff morale - because I have no idea how different it is, for better or for worse...

However, the fans morale is a different issue....the atmosphere at the last game of last season was immense..I even convinced my Dad to go on the pitch with me, and he said it was the most togetherness he had seen in supporting Saints for over 50 years...

I really felt that we had turned the corner under Pearson - yes, the playing staff wasn't ideal, but there was a fightback under way.....now, we seem to be sliding, even though the style of football has been better!

The fans are divided just six short months after we felt like a complete unit - christ even the Chapel ran on the pitch to celebrate.

----

I really feel that in order to progress (as a CLUB) we need Mr Lowe and Mr Wilde at this time to pick up the phone, and involve Leon.

Long term, we need Lowe and Wilde removed - where Leon fits into this I do not know. They are sucking the lifeblood (fans) of this club dry - forget the financials.

Yes, the credit crunch is biting (I lost my job as a Mortgage Adviser recently as a result) but there are more reasons why people are staying away - a lot of it on principle.

The reason there was such a reaction to RL going into the dressing room the other night was one reason, and one reason only - they DO NOT TRUST HIM.

TSF has been full of threads, far too many on the subject (cue the abuse for starting another ;) ) but that just shows the depth of feeling.

I am getting bored with these posts and threads.

It is the same day after day and it will get worse on Sunday after we lose.

I dont care who is in charge as long as we start to improve in the next year or so.

Wilde owns most share and he thinks Lowe is the best bet for the moment but Crouch may have his day

Edited by John B

Would we be better off with Leon Crouch rather than Lowe & Wilde ?

In Spanish and Italian, say "Sí."

If French say "Oui"

In German, Dutch and Norwegian it is "Ja"

In Portuguese and Cape-Verdean Creole it is "Sim."

In Hebrew it is "Ken."

In Irish is is "Tá."

In Esperanto it is "Jes."

In Japanese is is "Hai."

In Swahili it is "Ndiyo."

In Hindi say "Haa'n."

In Tagalog, say "Oo."

In Mandarin say "Shi"

In Persian say "Baleh" or "Areh."

In Armenian say a-yo

In Icelandic, say "Já"

Not really the hardest question that's ever been asked on here .

Crouch did very little wrong during his 5 months in charge.

He sorted out the Exec mess that was created by Wilde.

He started reducing costs loaning our high earners.

He gave us Nigel Pearson who was a breath of freah air and a manager respected by all.

Dodd and Gorman was a mistake, but he acted swiftly to rectify this error.

We would be far better off with Crouch and Pearson for sure.

2. Morale

----

He is.

I am getting bored with these posts and threads.

It is the same day after day and it will get worse on Sunday after we lose.

I dont care who is in charge as long as we start to improve in the next year or so.

Wilde owns most share and he thinks Lowe is the best bet for the moment but Crouch may have his day

TBF John if we all accepted what is currently on offer we deserve everything we get. NOW is the time to make it abundantly clear that Lowe and Wilde are not the future of this club...

I do care who is in charge because that is the catalyst for WHERE we end up in the next year or so.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing - pity many on here didn't stop to think about what was round the corner when they welcomed the return of their 'saviour Lord Lowe' a short few months ago.

Would we be better off with Leon Crouch rather than Lowe & Wilde ?

In Spanish and Italian, say "Sí."

If French say "Oui"

In German, Dutch and Norwegian it is "Ja"

In Portuguese and Cape-Verdean Creole it is "Sim."

In Hebrew it is "Ken."

In Irish is is "Tá."

In Esperanto it is "Jes."

In Japanese is is "Hai."

In Swahili it is "Ndiyo."

In Hindi say "Haa'n."

In Tagalog, say "Oo."

In Mandarin say "Shi"

In Persian say "Baleh" or "Areh."

In Armenian say a-yo

In Icelandic, say "Já"

Not really the hardest question that's ever been asked on here .

In Polish say "Tak"

Leon' date=' from one Lymingtonian to another, I hope you're setting plans in motion.[/quote']

He is.

I've long thought we haven't heard the last of Crouch (him being the richest BY FAR of the three). Does this mean he's buying Wildes shares?

My guesstimate is Lowes return has directly resulted in 3,000 wiped off the average match day attendance.

3000 x £24 = £72,000 for every home game, plus his salary.

No, we are not better off now than when Leon was in charge.

Whilst i want Lowe gone from the club I disagree with your statement.

The main reason why crowds are down is the crap not winning football we are playing at home, a few 1 nils to the Southampton , and the crowds will go up.

Of course if you are blaming Rupert for the current first team then that is a different matter

Whilst i want Lowe gone from the club I disagree with your statement.

The main reason why crowds are down is the crap not winning football we are playing at home, a few 1 nils to the Southampton , and the crowds will go up.

Of course if you are blaming Rupert for the current first team then that is a different matter

It doesn't matter whether we're winning or losing so much, fans need to have hope. As long as fans believe we can win a game, challenge for promotion etc, they will pay at the turnstile. As soon as Lowe crawled back in under the door we all knew the situation would be hopeless, and thus thousands have found better things to do on a saturday. Not me alas as i lack imagination.:(

Well I agree without cutting the wage bill significantly including Pearson's we would be in administration

Think this is highly unlikely. Crouch had the full backing of the Bank, had already realised he needed to cut the wage bill (loaning out Ras and Rudi), and had set the wheels in motion to close the corners and cut the buses. We also know that the NP salary thing was a smokescreen, even Lowe admitted that JP's package (or at least JP and MW together) would be greater than NP's if JP was successful.

The real point is that we would have been in administration if Wilde's appointees were not forced out last December. It is Wilde that is the architect of our financial problems. I will blame Lowe for many things, but Wilde has to take the lion's share of the blame financially. Yet he is now involved again. Thats what really gets me.

Crouch did very little wrong during his 5 months in charge.

He sorted out the Exec mess that was created by Wilde.

He started reducing costs loaning our high earners.

He gave us Nigel Pearson who was a breath of freah air and a manager respected by all.

Dodd and Gorman was a mistake, but he acted swiftly to rectify this error.

We would be far better off with Crouch and Pearson for sure.

Totally agree, well said and without the waffle that some ( including me ) use :)

Personally, I'd love to see all of them gone, but between a straight choice of Lowe and the Quisling or Crouch, I'd instantly say Crouch, because then we would have Pearson. There is not a shadow of doubt in my mind that with Pearson calling the shots with the team, we would be higher up the table than with JP. With the resultant greater attendances from winning, allied to those fans who are staying away because of Lowe, but who would attend with Crouch in charge, the club's financial position would be improved too. I also have a feeling that if he were Chairman, Crouch would put his hand in his pocket to help ease the situation, whereas of course Lowe only puts his hands in his pockets to keep them warm or to play pocket billiards

But when Pearson was manager the chairman (Crouch) didn't draw a wage.

Save on Pearson's wage simply to pay Lowe!!!!!

Amazing that its taken so long for this particular penny to drop...

The club is massively worse off than under Pearson and Crouch. A lot of the cost-cutting plans were already planned by Crouch, and although the squad would have faced some trimming, I reckon Pearson would have been left with more quality players than JP - and would have had the man-managerial skills over the summer to re-motivate and envigorate them for the upcoming season.

The reason that Pearson would have been left with more quality players is not a question of finance - I am convinced that the personnel changes that have taken place are only partially explainable by finance issues. The other two factors are :

1. Lowe's bankrupt mad-cap youth strategy, and those quality experienced players got in the way of it.

2. Those quality experienced players we had were left motivationally broken by Burley, Dodd and Gorman, and Pearson had only started the rehabillitation by the end of the season. Neither Rupert Lowe or Jan Poortvillet have the man-management skills necessary to complete that work. So they were viewed as lost causes.

Amazing that its taken so long for this particular penny to drop...

The club is massively worse off than under Pearson and Crouch. A lot of the cost-cutting plans were already planned by Crouch, and although the squad would have faced some trimming, I reckon Pearson would have been left with more quality players than JP - and would have had the man-managerial skills over the summer to re-motivate and envigorate them for the upcoming season.

The reason that Pearson would have been left with more quality players is not a question of finance - I am convinced that the personnel changes that have taken place are only partially explainable by finance issues. The other two factors are :

1. Lowe's bankrupt mad-cap youth strategy, and those quality experienced players got in the way of it.

2. Those quality experienced players we had were left motivationally broken by Burley, Dodd and Gorman, and Pearson had only started the rehabillitation by the end of the season. Neither Rupert Lowe or Jan Poortvillet have the man-management skills necessary to complete that work. So they were viewed as lost causes.

I appreciate the comparison of man management skills of JP v NP is a subjective one, and personally not convinced that NP would have been better. But I really don't understand how if we still had NP, alledgedly a much higher paid manager, we could have afforded to pay the wages of John, Rasiak and Saga?

The only other departures who are missed at all are Safri and Davies -both who left for money / career issues and clearly would have gone anyway.

Edited by NickG

I appreciate the comparison of man management skills of JP v NP is a subjective one, and personally not convinced that NP would have been better. But I really don't understand how if we still had NP, alledgedly a much higher paid player, we could have afforded to pay the wages of John, Rasiak and Saga?

The only other departures who are missed at all are Safri and Davies -both who left for money / career issues and clearly would have gone anyway.

Wow, a response-with-questions to a post that contains the answers..

Get back late with the DeLorean, or is this site getting more ridiculous with each passing day ?

. But I really don't understand how if we still had NP, alledgedly a much higher paid manager, we could have afforded to pay the wages of John, Rasiak and Saga?

What about the wages of Pekhart, Forecast, Gasmi, Pulis, Robertson, Smith plus all the loan fees and agents fees we have paid for thenm?

Could we not have saved some of that to pay and kept one of our goal scorers?

Again its quantity of quality we might get back to having the 41 squad number shirts in the shop soon!

What about the wages of Pekhart, Forecast, Gasmi, Pulis, Robertson, Smith plus all the loan fees and agents fees we have paid for thenm?

Could we not have saved some of that to pay and kept one of our goal scorers?

Again its quantity of quality we might get back to having the 41 squad number shirts in the shop soon!

possibly, hard to say without the figures. Pekhart/Cork may not be costing us much if anything -certainly know when we were the bigger club loaning out players for experience we funded them. Rest won't be on much.

I don't have information about the financials so cannot comment but under Crouch we played crap football, won very few games and barely survived at the end of the season. Under Lowe we are playing good football, winning hardly any games and are barely surviving at this point of the season. Six of one....

The question isn't worth answering to be fair.

What we have now is Lowe and Wilde making a pigs ear of the job, a team of youngsters battling for points (I think they have over-achieved up until now, fair play to them), and a manager who doesn't seem that great.

In the background we have Fulthorpe's consortium who seem to have been telling all and sundry that the deal is very close. The impression I get, sadly, is that they are no better than tyre-kickers such as Marc Jackson, Dan Williams and Jeff Cooper.

Then we have Crouch waiting in the wings. I like Crouch, and think he did a decent job last season. However, if he has something up his sleeve then, in my opinion, he should put up now.

Sadly I fear we are stuck with Wilde and Lowe. Fair play to the team today though.

Have to admit I haven't bothered to read the posts on this thread as I assume its just another opportunity for the anti-lowers to have a group hug, which must be quite consoling. By all means ignore this comment if you like, but apart from poor performances, one other thing that puts some people off supporting Southampton is the constant and long-lasting campaign of vilifying the chairman and then vilifying people who don't support the hate campaign. None of this will stop until Lowe's time is over, but neither will it drive him away, whereas it is driving other fans away.

Have to admit I haven't bothered to read the posts on this thread as I assume its just another opportunity for the anti-lowers to have a group hug, which must be quite consoling. By all means ignore this comment if you like, but apart from poor performances, one other thing that puts some people off supporting Southampton is the constant and long-lasting campaign of vilifying the chairman and then vilifying people who don't support the hate campaign. None of this will stop until Lowe's time is over, but neither will it drive him away, whereas it is driving other fans away.

The only negatives you will find when asking the "ordinary Saints fan" in the street why they are not supporting the team,will be,

1-Saints are losing too many games.

2-Rupert Lowe.

Sort out those two problems and i bet you will see St Marys with at least another ten thousand in attendance.

Rubbish , your saying that because i do not like Rupert people are staying away, absolute bo**ocks

I do not believe that people (apart from a few die hards) are staying away because of Lowe but neither do I believe that the comments of certain posters on here are having any undue effect. I think that you are over-rating their influence. I think that crowds are down because our win ratio has been too low for the past year - and tickets are expensive in these straitened times. But, as I said on another thread, I wish people would just hang in there and keep supporting. I believe that these kids can make it but there will be a few more tears along the way.

I do not believe that people (apart from a few die hards) are staying away because of Lowe but neither do I believe that the comments of certain posters on here are having any undue effect. I think that you are over-rating their influence. I think that crowds are down because our win ratio has been too low for the past year - and tickets are expensive in these straitened times. But, as I said on another thread, I wish people would just hang in there and keep supporting. I believe that these kids can make it but there will be a few more tears along the way.

agreed the worry is that just as the kids make it they are shipped out

I beleive in a lot of the above whichever side it comes from.

In my view Lowey can stay inthere..with his shares and support has more right than most..It would not hurt him, Wildey and Crouchey to come together and continue working for the club and their shares but have others in the pivotal positions and therefore with improved results and some of the dairy being taken off the three muskateers it can only help the whole club and possibly bring back the fans....The results would be a great help.....But a Football Chairman...even Honoury position

agreed by all to front the Saints. Lowey and Wildey and Crouchey.

I am not available soo who....Salz or Gavyn Davies.....BUT please chaps unite and agree

now..

Hello Sundance.

I suspect that the credit crunch has really bitten in to "Scouser Mike". Although I do not know and this is all IMHO.

I suspect that Leon is now readying himself for the kill. Although I do not know and this is all IMHO.

I suspect that Leon has now got his team positioned. Although I do not know and this is all IMHO.

I suspect that Barclays are more confident in the new team. Although I do not know and this is all IMHO.

I suspect tht Lowe, Cowen, Wilde are history. Although I do not know and this is all IMHO.

But I have met Anthony Salz on a few occasions

COYR

Kindest Regards

Morph

Crouch cares about the club but is clueless about how to run a football club. All IMHO of course.

But he has some seriously good friends that do

Not IMHO, but fact.

Regards

Morph (Lowe, Wilde and Andrew Cowan are history !!)

All IMHO of course

Regards

Morph

I suspect that the credit crunch has really bitten in to "Scouser Mike". Although I do not know and this is all IMHO.

I suspect that Leon is now readying himself for the kill. Although I do not know and this is all IMHO.

I suspect that Leon has now got his team positioned. Although I do not know and this is all IMHO.

I suspect that Barclays are more confident in the new team. Although I do not know and this is all IMHO.

I suspect tht Lowe, Cowen, Wilde are history. Although I do not know and this is all IMHO.

But I have met Anthony Salz on a few occasions

COYR

Kindest Regards

Morph

So do you mean IAS'sHO rather than IMHO Morph? :)

I'm no fan of Lowe but if we do get through the season un-relegated and solvent it will be some measure of success even though he is largely responsible for the mess the club is in.

I can't help but think the club would have been in Administration by now if there hadn't have been changes at the top.

I wanted Pearson to stay but if we had to implement a youth only policy for financial stability maybe he wasn't the best man.

S

I wanted Pearson to stay but if we had to implement a youth only policy for financial stability maybe he wasn't the best man.

Not being funny but why? Pearson was involved as assistant manager to England under 21s.

He also introduced several youngsters last season remember Lallana was our goalscorer away at West Brom last season - he had been missed a chunk of the season with a re-occuring calf injury so youngsters were being picked.

Not being funny but why? Pearson was involved as assistant manager to England under 21s.

He also introduced several youngsters last season remember Lallana was our goalscorer away at West Brom last season - he had been missed a chunk of the season with a re-occuring calf injury so youngsters were being picked.

Simple really Ron, its one of the Lowe Sympathiser's favourite get-out clauses - they believe that only Rupey Baby could have implemented youth in our club.

The same sort of belief that make them feel the club had no influence prior to 1997 - regardless of our history of mixing youth and experience. A forward line of Steve Moran and Frankie Worthington anyone??

I was there when we tonked Coventry 8-2 at The Dell - hattricks for Danny Wallace and Moran - total football existed then!!!!

Mind you, Perry Suckling was in goal...