If the world could vote tomorrow!

EastleighSoulBoy

Like me, is the cynic that gnaws away at the back of your mind telling you that he doesn't stand a chance? That something will happen to keep the course of U.S. history from taking another 'giant leap for mankind'?

Yep, I'm really worried that the votes will be rigged again. Although how, in the face of all the opinion polls, that could pass without investigation, heaven only knows.

But then, this is the USA we're talking about :(

Word has it Obarma is Muslim Now we all know Elma John F is pretty twitchy when it comes to religion, (well that one anyway) And when it comes to the color of skin. alot of them are down rite feckin racial, So to have that sort of lead the other mong must be out on day release,

Think there should be a book opened on (How many days before the flags at half mast, Gun salute, and last post Booooooogle, at Arlington.

I just got back from the States yesterday. It's amazing how passionate they are though I'm not sure for what reasons. Can you imagine people walking around with David Cameron t-shirts on? Do you think we are more interested in this election than we would be our own?

I think the fact a coloured person is likely to win has made the election more interesting than it otherwise would have been.

Word has it Obarma is Muslim Now we all know Elma John F is pretty twitchy when it comes to religion, (well that one anyway) And when it comes to the color of skin. alot of them are down rite feckin racial, So to have that sort of lead the other mong must be out on day release,

Think there should be a book opened on (How many days before the flags at half mast, Gun salute, and last post Booooooogle, at Arlington.

I think the fact a coloured person is likely to win has made the election more interesting than it otherwise would have been.

That's one of the reasons it's interesting. Because a lot of people are fully expecting a red necked backlash should he foil all their plans and actually win!

To see that guy on the TV asking 'What sort of American middle name is Hussein?' really brought it home to me. Made me wonder about all those other 'American names' like Schmidt, or Kennedy.

Of course! They're not Eyeslamees are they! Does the name Hussein make Obama a Muslim terrorist? any more than Schmidt make whoever he is a Nazi? or Kennedy an Irish Terrorist?

Those type of Americans have really lost the plot, which is exactly why the world would be a safer place without them wielding power.

Extreme xenophobes.

That's one of the reasons it's interesting. Because a lot of people are fully expecting a red necked backlash should he foil all their plans and actually win!

To see that guy on the TV asking 'What sort of American middle name is Hussein?' really brought it home to me. Made me wonder about all those other 'American names' like Schmidt, or Kennedy.

Of course! They're not Eyeslamees are they! Does the name Hussein make Obama a Muslim terrorist? any more than Schmidt make whoever he is a Nazi? or Kennedy an Irish Terrorist?

Those type of Americans have really lost the plot, which is exactly why the world would be a safer place without them wielding power.

Extreme xenophobes.

Agree,,,,put better than i could of :),,,,Obalma could be the best man in the saddle since John Wayne,,,,,,,,,,If they let him,

people are desperate for Obama without really knowing him at all...and they say that those who read the daily mail are sheep...the irony

the people who have advised bush in the last 8 years will be the same ones advising the next guy....

the same military commanders, the same money men from wall st the same old gang..

im sure if so many wanted mccain some on here would be claiming they had been brain washed..

people are desperate for Obama without really knowing him at all...and they say that those who read the daily mail are sheep...the irony

the people who have advised bush in the last 8 years will be the same ones advising the next guy....

the same military commanders, the same money men from wall st the same old gang..

im sure if so many wanted mccain some on here would be claiming they had been brain washed..

TDD in wild, grumpy generalisations shock!

Without wishing to court controversy, I'd suggest that Obama has a lot to thank the "24" generation for. The portrayal of a decent African-American president in that popular series has made his task easier IMO.

I don't wish that to sound like I'm a McCain supporter. I'd prefer Obama gets in anyday.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

To be fair, all the senior advisory roles are presidential appointees and I would expect that Obama would get his own people in as soon as he starts.

Extreme xenophobes.

It's basic word association that's the problem:

Barack = Iraq

Hussein = erm, Hussein

Obama = Osama

Biden = Bin Laden

McCain = chip

Palin = python

To be fair, all the senior advisory roles are presidential appointees and I would expect that Obama would get his own people in as soon as he starts.

Too true, the entire staff would change (expect maybe Col Powell) - at the moment, Bush's advisers are the same neo-cons that have building the US military-industrial elite since GHWBush was president and have been wielding big powerful political sticks right back to Nixon's time...

...the clever bastards.

The same could the same be said of McCain, people not really knowing him.

I don't understand the point you are making with this post.

I THINK (but I'm not sure) that the point he is trying to make is this. People are rooting for Obama 'without really knowing him' and therefore, by some twisted logic must be believing everything they read in the press.

However, the logic fails. As St warwick said, we could equally deduce that the people who are rooting for McCain (without really knowing him) also believe everything THEY read in the press too :smt102

Voters can only make up their minds by reading the press and listening to the candidates.

It's not the same at all as reading a paper and then joining in, lemming-like, to condemn a broadcast that was largely unheard by those condemning it.

It's like comparing apples and potatoes :)

I THINK (but I'm not sure) that the point he is trying to make is this. People are rooting for Obama 'without really knowing him' and therefore, by some twisted logic must be believing everything they read in the press.

However, the logic fails. As St warwick said, we could equally deduce that the people who are rooting for McCain (without really knowing him) also believe everything THEY read in the press too :smt102

Voters can only make up their minds by reading the press and listening to the candidates.

It's not the same at all as reading a paper and then joining in, lemming-like, to condemn a broadcast that was largely unheard by those condemning it.

It's like comparing apples and potatoes :)

is it not?

ross and brand - see what they did on telly, read the papers, make your mind up and/or agree with the complaints/complain = lefties on here call you a daily mail reading lemming

obama/mccain - see what they are about on on telly (crafully worded waffle) and read about them in the papers = no issue here..

lol

is it not?

ross and brand - see what they did on telly, read the papers, make your mind up and/or agree with the complaints/complain = lefties on here call you a daily mail reading lemming

obama/mccain - see what they are about on on telly (crafully worded waffle) and read about them in the papers = no issue here..

lol

:smt102

is it not?

lol

Nope - no contest.

You said, and I quote, "people are desperate for Obama without really knowing him at all...and they say that those who read the daily mail are sheep...the irony".

You made no reference at all to the McCain campaign.

Your logic is fatally flawed :)

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Am I the only one fed-up by the sheer amount of coverage our TV stations are giving the presidential election. It's tiring to hear Obama this or McCain that when I'd rather hear what is happening in this country.

What happens there directly affects what happens here, so effectively you're getting a forerunner of what will be happening over here shortly.

Of course! I'm with yer Dell Days...

Basically you are asserting that people only read the paper so they know what to think! Otherwise they would not have an opinion at all. Not only does the paper give them an opinion, it instructs them what to do!

So, from there, complaining to Ofcom or the BBC (via email or telephone) - taking part in the new phenomena of 'Interactive News' - is "basically" the same as voting in a national election. Yep, a little shaky but I'm still with yer.

By complaining, these people are trying to get their 'favourite story' to become the main news item - they have a strong opinion on it and want others to too, so they force the issue and hopefully get what they want.

By campaigning, the presdential candidates supporters are trying to get their 'favourite candidate' to become the main news item - they have a strong opinion on it and want others to too, so they force the issue and hopefully get what they want.

The only real issue here is that the election of the President of the United States of america is a major issue worth getting worked up about and so it is natural and proper to see so many people concerned with it, interrested in it, and shouting louder than they otherwise might and, and,

well, the ross/brand thing is just farcical and not even worth me finishing the last word in this sen

is it not?

lol

An argument I've frequently had with American friends - those who are quick to get touchy when 'aliens' talk about US politics in a proprietorial way - is that there's a good reason why the rest of the world is always exercised by the outcome of the US presidential elections.

Foreigners are by definition on the receiving end of US foreign policy in a way that Americans (apart from the poor bloody infantry) are not. Now this can sometimes be a good thing (Clinton in the Balkans - eventually). Often it is not. Over the years, I've witnessed a lot of the latter, especially in Latin America (notably Pinochet's Chile), Indonesia (East Timor) and South Asia (especially Pakistan, and Iran - where people still suffer the consequences of disastrous US meddling in the 1950s)

So when you say, as a generalisation, people see stuff on the telly, I really think you should consider that there's more to it than that for quite a few (millions, in fact) people. The outcome of the election WILL have a bearing on the future of many countries, not least places like Pakistan, whose disintegration will surely be accelerated by a McCain victory.

There are many people outside the US who are well informed and have a strong investment in the outcome tomorrow. And for very good reasons.

Am I the only one fed-up by the sheer amount of coverage our TV stations are giving the presidential election. It's tiring to hear Obama this or McCain that when I'd rather hear what is happening in this country.

I can't get enough of it.

I know Joe the Plumber's financial situation better than my own right now.

An argument I've frequently had with American friends - those who are quick to get touchy when 'aliens' talk about US politics in a proprietorial way - is that there's a good reason why the rest of the world is always exercised by the outcome of the US presidential elections.

Foreigners are by definition on the receiving end of US foreign policy in a way that Americans (apart from the poor bloody infantry) are not. Now this can sometimes be a good thing (Clinton in the Balkans - eventually). Often it is not. Over the years, I've witnessed a lot of the latter, especially in Latin America (notably Pinochet's Chile), Indonesia (East Timor) and South Asia (especially Pakistan, and Iran - where people still suffer the consequences of disastrous US meddling in the 1950s)

So when you say, as a generalisation, people see stuff on the telly, I really think you should consider that there's more to it than that for quite a few (millions, in fact) people. The outcome of the election WILL have a bearing on the future of many countries, not least places like Pakistan, whose disintegration will surely be accelerated by a McCain victory.

There are many people outside the US who are well informed and have a strong investment in the outcome tomorrow. And for very good reasons.

Well put sir!

You hooked me once you mentioned American Foreign Policy. It's not worked out too well for the foreigners has it? I'm hoping that Obama gets elected and brings with him a new way of viewing and doing things. Rather than the now accustomed American policy of shoot first and then think "Oh feck! I know let's get those Limeys involved". The hope that they become a thinking administration will hopefully lead to less British military involvement and more discussion and finding common grounds. A coming together of the minds.

The whole playground hates a bully, there's only some that find a way to say it and the bully's violence begets violence.

Edited by EastleighSoulBoy

:confused: Surely you can't stil lbe on about 2000.

still lots of concern about voter registration, voter disqualification lists, ID checks getting out of hand, long queues, not enough polling staff and a stupid number of extra things to vote for on the ballet to 'confuse' people that could lead to potential miscounts and, worse still, legal challenges...

still lots of concern about voter registration, voter disqualification lists, ID checks getting out of hand, long queues, not enough polling staff and a stupid number of extra things to vote for on the ballet to 'confuse' people that could lead to potential miscounts and, worse still, legal challenges...

I don't know if this is really true, but it was reported on the news over the weekend that in some places potential Democrat voters were told to vote on 5 November!

And also that people in the queues were told they couldn't vote if they had any sort of criminal record.

Interesting article here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/us_elections_2008/7686438.stm