If the world could vote tomorrow!

EastleighSoulBoy

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
I don't know if this is really true, but it was reported on the news over the weekend that in some places potential Democrat voters were told to vote on 5 November!

And also that people in the queues were told they couldn't vote if they had any sort of criminal record.

Interesting article here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/us_elections_2008/7686438.stm

lcrwiz081029.gif

is it not?

ross and brand - see what they did on telly, read the papers, make your mind up and/or agree with the complaints/complain = lefties on here call you a daily mail reading lemming

obama/mccain - see what they are about on on telly (crafully worded waffle) and read about them in the papers = no issue here..

lol

Let's see what Ross and Brand have to say after they have finished their 12 month campaign then you can pass judgement about issues, until then don't compare the two completely different topics.

I don't know if this is really true, but it was reported on the news over the weekend that in some places potential Democrat voters were told to vote on 5 November!

And also that people in the queues were told they couldn't vote if they had any sort of criminal record.

If you are a convicted felon, you are not allowed to vote. Anyone that doesn't know the election is tomorrow, probably shouldn't be voting! ;)

If you are a convicted felon, you are not allowed to vote. Anyone that doesn't know the election is tomorrow, probably shouldn't be voting! ;)

Roswell, I only caught the bit about criminal records in passing but my take on it was that voters were being told that if they had even a minor record (e.g. speeding) they wouldn't be able to vote! Surely that's not right.

I think it's a bit disingenuous to suggest that people shouldn't vote if they're not very bright. Would you implement an IQ test before allowing people to exercise their democratic rights?

The other disturbing thing I heard (and it is hearsay so I'm not BELIEVING it, just questioning it) is this.

The company that makes the counting machines is funded by and owned by Republicans. The company has refused to allow independent verification of the hardware and software.

And did you know that, apparently, the US is the only western country that doesn't allow independent observers for their elections - something they demand from countries such as those in Africa and the Middle East. Even the good old UK has independent observers!

Roswell, I only caught the bit about criminal records in passing but my take on it was that voters were being told that if they had even a minor record (e.g. speeding) they wouldn't be able to vote! Surely that's not right.

I think it's a bit disingenuous to suggest that people shouldn't vote if they're not very bright. Would you implement an IQ test before allowing people to exercise their democratic rights?

The other disturbing thing I heard (and it is hearsay so I'm not BELIEVING it, just questioning it) is this.

The company that makes the counting machines is funded by and owned by Republicans. The company has refused to allow independent verification of the hardware and software.

And did you know that, apparently, the US is the only western country that doesn't allow independent observers for their elections - something they demand from countries such as those in Africa and the Middle East. Even the good old UK has independent observers!

Don't do what we do, do what we say, Or else! (We are the land of the free.)

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

Is that for those still incarcerated or those released but not on parole? If being a past criminal disbars you from exercising your franchise how do you indicate your disaffection with the system that created the laws that you broke?

What do you mean, posts cannot be reported?

There used to be a 'report' button at the top right hand of each post. It's no longer there so if I wished to complain I presume it would have to be via a PM to a Mod, or just raise the objection in a reply to the offending post (which draws even more attention to it!)

There used to be a 'report' button at the top right hand of each post. It's no longer there so if I wished to complain I presume it would have to be via a PM to a Mod, or just raise the objection in a reply to the offending post (which draws even more attention to it!)

I can see it with either of the 3 forum skins on. Normally looks like a "warning" sign with an exclamation mark in it.

That's what I thought you meant. I can see the report button, looks like a road sign.

The 'report' button is still there, ESB. Anyway, looks like the virtual pooper-scoopers have been by.

BTF, I was only joking about not being allowed to vote if you don't know which day the election is.

There are so many suggestions of fraud on both sides that it is hard to know where there might be an element of truth - rigging the machines, registering non-existent people, etc.

Can't defend the lack of independent observers.

Is that for those still incarcerated or those released but not on parole? If being a past criminal disbars you from exercising your franchise how do you indicate your disaffection with the system that created the laws that you broke?

Good question and I don't know the answer. Wasn't that the case in the UK at one time, as well, though?

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Good question and I don't know the answer. Wasn't that the case in the UK at one time, as well, though?

For those actually in gaol, but that was challenged by Judicial Review. Those released could always vote.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
? One asterisk inside a triangle is what I see, well I do now it's been pointed out to me!

I do notice, however, that the point of the 'report' question has been removed!

My skin is Blaze 3.7

I couldn't wait for you to report it as the election would have been over by then so I just removed it anyway...:D

This bit gave me a wry smile...

"Problems for voters whose homes are in the process of being repossessed, or foreclosed, meaning their address may no longer match their registration details and they can only cast a provisional ballot"

A more cynical man than I might spot a correlation between those directly affected by Republican financial policy and those eligible to democratically express their dipleasure.

This bit gave me a wry smile...

"Problems for voters whose homes are in the process of being repossessed, or foreclosed, meaning their address may no longer match their registration details and they can only cast a provisional ballot"

A more cynical man than I might spot a correlation between those directly affected by Republican financial policy and those eligible to democratically express their dipleasure.

I am that man but was hoping that I was not out on a limb with my thought process!

Just as a humorous aside, I had dip-pleasure last night. Most enjoyable, haven't been swimming for ages!

BTW, what has happened to Dubya?

I haven't seen him on the news for ages. I would expect to see him everywhere, but he seems to have been abducted.

The presidents schedule was cleared (as it always is) for the last two weeks of campaigning, but the McCain camp have been distancing themselves from Dubya from the start and even more so since the financial ho-ha kicked off in september. He has made a couple of sat-link-up appearances at a couple of rallies but that's it. Damaged Goods for any Republican...

BTW, what has happened to Dubya?

I haven't seen him on the news for ages. I would expect to see him everywhere, but he seems to have been abducted.

He is the least popular president ever at the time of an election. Not surprisingly, McCain doesn't want his help. He had a tough enough job as it was. If you believe all the predictions, the Republicans are in for a comprehensive hiding - the Senate could go to as much as 60-40 in favour of Democrats. the House is likely to have a bigger Democrat majority too.

I am just back from casting my vote.

ESB, I think you would be proud of me.

He is the least popular president ever at the time of an election. Not surprisingly, McCain doesn't want his help. He had a tough enough job as it was. If you believe all the predictions, the Republicans are in for a comprehensive hiding - the Senate could go to as much as 60-40 in favour of Democrats. the House is likely to have a bigger Democrat majority too.

I am just back from casting my vote.

ESB, I think you would be proud of me.

To be honest Roswell, and well done Sir!, if anyone spurns the chance to vote then they are the ones who go down in my estimation!

Its been an interesting evening watching it all unfold. Almost inevitable throughout the evening but it wasn't a sweep by Obama, McCain took a large number of states but not the ones he needed like Ohio, Florida and Virginia.

The Senate has shifted even more towards the Democrats.

Good luck, Obama. Some tough problems to deal with. One of the quirks of the system means he doesn't take power until Jan. 20th.

Waiting to hear him speak now. Huge crowd in Chicago.

Gracious speech by McCain, very impressive one by Obama. How is it received in UK?

Lost my sound on the PC for some reason but BBC reporting well.

A momentous occasion, it's now time to move onward and upward. To tackle world issues with calm, reservation and not gung ho diplomacy.

Importantly also to try and solve the many social issues that exist for all the electorate of America.

Let's take the wind, right now, from the racists sails, if Obama fails it will be nothing whatsoever to do with his colour or religion.

Are you coming home now St.George?

America has ****ed up big time electing Obama, but i guess they and the rest and the world will just have to put up with him for hopefully a single term.

It'll be interesting to see how Al Queda react. Reemeber 9/11 was just after Bush's election so it would not suprise me if they repeat this tactic.

for all the sceptics out there:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/us_elections_2008/7710079.stm

Just take 17 minutes out from your hate filled lives and listen, although I suspect I'm wasting my time.

We WILL overcome you and your prejudices.

I thought that American elections were in November, not September?

Edited by EastleighSoulBoy

America has ****ed up big time electing Obama, but i guess they and the rest and the world will just have to put up with him for hopefully a single term.

It'll be interesting to see how Al Queda react. Reemeber 9/11 was just after Bush's election so it would not suprise me if they repeat this tactic.

Internally it does not bother me too much which party won the election but from an international viewpoint it would seem to be a far safer option to elect a party who appears willing to converse with other states and ideologies who don't necessarily conform to the way America wish them to be. As for Al Qaeda I actually think that was a big smokescreen for the previous administration to get morally unsound policies made law, such as the Patriot Act, no access to lawyers and forced rendition or whatever the term is for that(kidnapping to all extents and purposes). It is a hard pill to swallow, but the situation in Northern Ireland was only resolved by dialogue with terrorists even though they had been talking to the government unofficially for years before the public talks.

And apart from Al Qaeda's reaction if any, it will also be interesting to see the reaction of the right wing militia groups within the United States.