Anyone Reccommend A 7/8 Seater?

Jeff Le Taxi

Mrs Le Taxi currently has a 52 plate Zafira which we are reasonably happy with and has been quite reliable, getting a bit old and shabby now though and time for a change... anyone know of any bargains 2006 or newer? Zafira probably a bit small now the kiddiwinks are getting bigger although would consider another newer one.

Recently bought a 2009 Renault Grand Espace. Not the prettiest looking vehicle in the world but comfortable holds 7 adults / teenagers. Would recommend for growing families looking for flexibility and space.

Driving 6 of us down to Italy in August.

I bought a new Zafira 1.6i Life for my wife in 2005 and kept it for 6 years. The car was generally great as I expect you found, but the 1.6 petrol engine was pretty crap; not too much power, thirsty and comes with a truly awful clutch. I would avoid that engine if you do decide on another Zafira.

I had a Galaxy and Voyager in the older (early 2ks) incarnation and would reccomend the Voyager out of the two..very comfortable and quite economical (diesel) - I believe they've got over removing the blo ody heavy seats since then. Did over 100k in each in less than two years in each case...Galaxy needed an (expensive if not for the full servicing leasing contract) aircon unit replaced but otherwise no issue with either.

• 2 weeks later...

The Zafira is still a good option. The engines in the old version were all thirsty buggers, dont know if GM have addressed this, but it is to some degree a consequence of the higher vehicle. The Flex 7 system of seating is totally without peer. And the price of Zafiras is so competitive against the opposition in the UK.

I currently have one of the last of the old version Seat Alhambra (Volkswagen Sharan). Diesel. Very comfortable, lots of oomph, and the Seat despite being the same car as the Sharan came totally equipped with all the various options for several thousand Euros less. Drinks Diesel in towns, but if you do a long stretch like I did when I drove back to the UK, it is very economical. I reckon it used less than my BMW 320d company car for the same journey. It was clearly designed for long-distance cruising. Changing seat configuration is an utter nightmare though.

Hearing nothing but good things about the new Alhambra / Sharan, even thinking about trading in myself. The sliding doors are really tempting with the kids.

If it were not for the fact that your kids are getting bigger I'd recommend you try to find a Volvo V70 with the 7 seat option. A much better quality machine than any awful Vauxhall - a proper car rather than a van - and you might even find one with a diesel engine giving you 40+ mpg. But the extra rear seats are only for little ones IMO.

So I'd go for a Ford S Max as this is clearly the best vehicle in its class - but they're not cheap.