Pre Season Friendlies

spyinthesky

Here I am, on a winters day in the middle of 'summer' gearing up for the first of our pre season games (actually second if you count the U21's game at Sholing on Tuesday)

Several more games to come!!

When I think back to when I was a youngster I seem to remember that pre season games were limited to an in house 'Probables v Possibles' fixture with both teams turning out in worn out gear from ther previous season.

A good chance to see any new signings (generally rare) in the Probables team and emerging younsters and long standing reserves in the Possibles

Presume some older posters will remember David Chadwick, a decent enough winger, who was understudy to Terry Paine for what seemed to be several years but appeared to be happy to play reserve football for that time

It never ceases to amaze me how different things are nowadays

Bit odd that there is no run off area off the pitch, it's just carpet? Would thought the grass would go back at least a yard. And how did you get in the stadium so early !?

That picture was taken by the head groundsman, which MLG has just re-posted.

Those arent the electronic boards.

AxwrvNSCIAAmRIS.jpg:large

They're the boards that stop spectators going on the pitch and all of the current sponsor boards have been removed from them. The actual electronic ones are half way on the tarmac not right at the back. Looks like they aren't all installed yet?

AxmHzApCAAAQoNs.jpg:large

I'm also surprised that the carpet (all weather astro turf) is so close to the touchline. Players will often run off the pitch when chasing a ball down the line etc. The carpet will surely 'feel' different.

Those arent the electronic boards.

Yes, they are. You can see them behind the goal. Probably won't be electronic boards on the Kingland side as that is where the main cameras are.

Looks like they aren't all installed yet?

AxmHzApCAAAQoNs.jpg:large

That photo is from last week.

Edited by Matthew Le God

The photo shows the Kingsland (without electronic boards) and the Northam (with electronic boards). The other photo of them installing the boards is of the Itchen. I am guessing, like a lot of clubs, that the stand from which the TV camera will point (Kingsland) will have normal non-electronic boards because they won't be seen by the TV cameras.

The St Mary's pitch looks good today and electronic advertising boards are now in place...

AxwrvNSCIAAmRIS.jpg:large

i can see my seat from here...and boy how I've missed being there! Closed season does make you realise just how easily you become passionate about your team. Wish I was going today - otherwise engaged and the Ajax game seems so far off. For those lucky enough to be going - have a great time.

When I think back to when I was a youngster I seem to remember that pre season games were limited to an in house 'Probables v Possibles' fixture with both teams turning out in worn out gear from ther previous season.

A good chance to see any new signings (generally rare) in the Probables team and emerging younsters and long standing reserves in the Possibles

I can recall watching the 1959 Stripes vs Whites game and the advent of Huxford, Connor, O'Brien. The Stripes won 3 - 0 (or 3 - 1) in front of a sizable crowd. I think that Bob Charles was in goal for the Whites.

When I think back to when I was a youngster I seem to remember that pre season games were limited to an in house 'Probables v Possibles' fixture with both teams turning out in worn out gear from ther previous season. A good chance to see any new signings (generally rare) in the Probables team and emerging younsters and long standing reserves in the Possibles

Presume some older posters will remember David Chadwick, a decent enough winger, who was understudy to Terry Paine for what seemed to be several years but appeared to be happy to play reserve football for that time.

I certainly recall David Chadwick, who I actually met on a number of times during his spell with Saints.

Considering the number of foreign players we've talked about on various threads, David must be the only player we've had who was born in INDIA (!) where his British father was an officer on wartime service in 1943.

He signed for Saints as an amateur aged 16, and became the youngest-ever reserve player at that time.

A capable, two-footed player he was equally at home on either wing, David often vied for a first team place with the equally-diminutive Harry Penk on those occasions when John Sydenham was on Army service or Terry Paine was sick/under suspension. He was a skilful winger with a turn of pace and good at centres, but unfortunate to always be understudy for the emerging Paine - who was a few years older, and already beginning to carve out his England career.

David was unlucky to break a leg and by the time he was fit, Ted Bates had settled for the wing duo of Paine and Sydenham and he was confined to Reserve duty for the rest of his career with only a handful of games each season to show for his efforts. He made a remarkable 171 apps. for the Reserves but eventually moved on when (at age 23) he failed to " make the cut " after the 1966 promotion - to be replaced by David Thompson - and fell by the wayside (along with Reserve stalwarts like Norman Dean and Terry Spencer)... and left for a new career with Middlesbrough ...with only 20-odd first team games for his almost 7 years service to Saints.

I recall he later moved to USA where he took up various coaching jobs. Another case of a player unable to make his real mark against TWO superior team mates.

Edited by david in sweden