Give It To Ron

St Landrew

Received yesterday from Albuquerque, New Mexico:

Hi Andy,

Thank you very much for all your efforts in the Give It To Ron promotion. I'm so glad you never went to **Rio. I just can't believe the response from the Southampton fans after all these years. They are just great. I loved the [fans] letters you sent me, [they] made great reading.

Once again, thanks a million. Wishing you all the very best always.

Sincerely

Ron Davies.

Just thought all the people who have shown an interest would like to know that Ron has finally received all your photos, letters and good wishes that came with the donations. I finally sent everything to him about 3 weeks ago, and there were so many good wishes and longer efforts, that the person behind the counter at the Post Office raised an eyebrow at the weight, when I said it was just personal letters. Then when I mentioned that Mr R.T. Davies was Ron, he asked.. who the Saints footballer..?

People don't forget.

**Tired joke I come out with, at the drop of a hat, about disappearing with the fan's donations. ;)

Look out for new announcements on the Give It To Ron website in the future.

Thanks Andy for sharing that, sending all that and even more for the work that you and the others do behind the scenes back there. Ron told me that him and Chris his wife read and looked at everything he was sent. He cherished and appreciated the sentiments.

At this stage because of his surgeon's understandably cautious nature, Ron is looking at another two months + before his second hip replacement. He has made excellent progress, he is in less discomfort and is also living in a better situation.

Good news arriving just goes to show that we can all see hope for the coming years.

Very pleased to hear about Chris and Ron and their improved situation...Look forward to hearing the result of the second op..Hope all goes well for them both in the future...

I have a very good mate who is a Norwich fan and he was also delighted to hear the good news.

It would appear that Ron is required to play for The Canaries as well as the Saints when he is fully fit.

Best Wishes

Ottery

I have seen Lofthouse, Lawton not Ted Drake but since the fifties Ron Davies was the best attacking header of a football in the last 60 years.

At one stage he was rated the BEST striker in the WORLD.

He was unplayable in the box most of the time with Paine especially and Sydenham standing up crosses to the far post. I have never seen a player jump so high before or since. Nothing special on the ground but played good football and held the ball up well.

I've been trying to find the b/w video on Youtube/Google Video of Man U V Saints match at OT from the 1960's where SFC ran out 4-1 winners and Ron scored a hat-trick, but it seems to have disappeared. Anybody know what has become of it..?

It has a partner video from The Big Match, the next day, where Ron is being interviewed by Jimmy Hill. They talk about his 3 goals, and what all this new 4-4-2 formation is about.

I've been trying to find the b/w video on Youtube/Google Video of Man U V Saints match at OT from the 1960's where SFC ran out 4-1 winners and Ron scored a hat-trick, but it seems to have disappeared. Anybody know what has become of it..?

It has a partner video from The Big Match, the next day, where Ron is being interviewed by Jimmy Hill. They talk about his 3 goals, and what all this new 4-4-2 formation is about.

JP please take note.

Would love to see him over as guest of honour soon, take him up The Bellmore in Hill Lane as it was his local whe he lived in Upper Shirley.

And then on out to The Testwood Hotel,Totton for a 'lock in'.*

*Not that I ever witnessed this first hand as I was well below drinking age at the time,but this was legendary amongst my father,grandfather etc.

At one stage he was rated the BEST striker in the WORLD.

For which Sir Matt Busby offered the then mind shattering potential record of £200,000.

Saints rejected it.Although it was public knowledge that Big Ron was disappointed not to make the move,there was no sulking,strikes or huffs to engineer the move.How times have changed.

His name is Ronnie Davies, he's the leader of the team

The greatest centre forward that the world has ever seen

You always can rely on him to score a vital goal

And as for Bobby Charlton you stick him up your hole

La la la la la chorus whilst jumping up and down on The Milton

We all agree our keeper is better than Yashin

Ron Davies is better than Eusabio

And Pompey are in for a thrashin

And when we played dirty Leeds

Lankey Jack Lankey Jack get off Rons back your a load of crap

His name is Ronnie Davies, he's the leader of the team

The greatest centre forward that the world has ever seen

You always can rely on him to score a vital goal

And as for Bobby Charlton you stick him up your hole

La la la la la chorus whilst jumping up and down on The Milton

We all agree our keeper is better than Yashin

Ron Davies is better than Eusabio

And Pompey are in for a thrashin

Happy days

That song really does date it,taken from a long forgotten - and for many on hear completely unheard - 'Teenage Opera'.Can't recall who it was by though.