new car - Vauxhall Insignia

SO16_Saint

I quote directly from a colleague:

"It's the worst car i've ever had, if you so much as see me saying the word Vauxhall ever again shoot me."

He complains that the engines are underpowered, vague handling, the boot space nothing special and has had a few electrical issues.

On the basis of the strength of his recommendation I would look elsewhere.

If I was to get any car of this type second hand, SEAT Exeo. Proven reliable technology in a model that does everything right but at a lower cost.

Edited by Colinjb

Hired one once...that will be the once!

Agree about gutless (think it was 2lt or 2.2) - agree about imprecise handling and wandering ride. If I recall it had done 1800 miles and I put another 700 on...really didn't like it much - not a patch on the Mondeo or the Passat which I thought I was getting.

I'm not anti-Vauxhall, had a Carlton and an Omega but they were fine.

Still too new and expensive for the likes of me to have owned one, but they received good reviews in the motoring press and to my eye they look like a cut price Audi. But the very name 'Vauxhall' comes with so much baggage in this country that GM might as well bite the bullet and nail Opel badges on the grill.

Only when they're behind the wheel of a expensive German badged car will a certain type of British driver ever be happy.

The very name 'Vauxhall' comes with so much baggage in this country that GM might as well bite the bullet and nail Opel badges on the grill.

Only when they're behind the wheel of a expensive German badged car will a certain type of British driver ever be happy.

Sad but true - and its usually trotted out by people who lap up perceived wisdom with little independent thought or research. The cars are made in Russelheim Germany anyway - which is more than you can say for many Audis and VWs which are often made in Spain, Belgium or Mexico.

In my experience of having them as hire cars they are fine. Its true they aren't quite as sharp as a Mondeo but they are absolutely fine. The trick with used cars is not to look at a class and try to choose which one is best between - say a Passat, Mondeo, A6 and Insignia but to look at what you can buy with your budget within that class. You will get a much much better Insignia for £8k than you will the others.

Parkers rates it 3.5 stars http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/find-a-car/vauxhall/insignia/ and the owners reviews for the estate are mostly very positive http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/owners-reviews/vauxhall/insignia/sports-tourer-2009/

Edited by buctootim

I refer you back to my previous post, which refers to the depreciation for said car. Now Honest John may write for the Torygraph, but he's got no axe to grind about makes. I suggest you look at the link I gave...

Thats misses the ppoint though tbf. Yours is a valid point if he were thinking about buying new, but he isnt. By buying a used Insignia the OP would be benefitting from the fact someone else has already been hammered by the depreciation and he can pick up a bargain if he wants to keep it and run it for years.