Les Reed - the cushiest job in the world?

Turkish

Les Reeds managerial record in proffessional football,lasting 6 weeks at Charlton,says it all regarding his ability to work with senior players. Perhaps he works very well within the confines of our academy,but does this give him the right to be regarded by NC,as his right hand man,on the football side?

I think it's naive to think that Reed doesn't have a big say on what goes on at this club, so because of that it's silly not to credit him for the last couple of years, but it also means that questions will obviously be raised at times like this.

Our transfer committee consists of Mitchell, Reed, Cortese and Adkins. They all make the calls on the players, produce the scout reports and discuss between themselves. Obviously Nicola has the last say as he signs it off, but each one of those people have a big say on the recruitment at all levels of the football club.

In that sense, I don't think they've got a great deal wrong. Our signing hit rate over the last 2 years has been pretty good, we've signed some real jems - but with that, you are always going to obtain some duds such as SDR etc. I think Mayuka will prove to be a good find, same with Yoshida. But the question marks over recruitment aren't really around who we signed, but probably who we didn't sign.

I think it's naive to think that Reed doesn't have a big say on what goes on at this club, so because of that it's silly not to credit him for the last couple of years, but it also means that questions will obviously be raised at times like this.

Our transfer committee consists of Mitchell, Reed, Cortese and Adkins. They all make the calls on the players, produce the scout reports and discuss between themselves. Obviously Nicola has the last say as he signs it off, but each one of those people have a big say on the recruitment at all levels of the football club.

In that sense, I don't think they've got a great deal wrong. Our signing hit rate over the last 2 years has been pretty good, we've signed some real jems - but with that, you are always going to obtain some duds such as SDR etc. I think Mayuka will prove to be a good find, same with Yoshida. But the question marks over recruitment aren't really around who we signed, but probably who we didn't sign.

Great insightful post

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

An undoutedly very well paid director of a premier league football club, 50 direct reports, in charge of player recruitment, behind the whole failing 'Southampton way' and most people seem has at least had some input into our new formaiton which we seem to have chosen in no small part simply because it's what Barcelona do. It seems to me that he's got a great job, involved in all the major decisions and seems happy to take the glory, yet is avoiding any of the flack when, like now, things are going badly.

It's my view that this man is equally, if not moreso responsible for the problems at this club as Adkins. Yet no one seems to be question his role, what he does or discussing where he has failed.

Fully agree & most with connections realise this but numpties on here attack anyone suggesting otherwise for some odd reason.

Adkins didn't get anyone on his list of transfer targets targets signed. All Reed & Cortese's. I don't understand Adkin's role - motivational coach?! Cortese only sees Adkins as a physio & has no respect so perhaps he should appoint someone who's decisions he trusts. Or maybe no-one new has come in cos no-one wants to work with Cortese since his reputation precedes him.

Reed is a coward. He needs to step up & share the burden. He's certainly no stealth PL manager! Choosing Jay Rod over Lambert. Lambert will be gone in Jan. Cortese is like Lowe with money, as CB Fry once said. I expected better but he's just like all the other money men & their bloody trusted advisors. Misplaced trust. Let the managers manage & identify their own transfer targets.

Fully agree & most with connections realise this but numpties on here attack anyone suggesting otherwise for some odd reason.

Adkins didn't get anyone on his list of transfer targets targets signed. All Reed & Cortese's. I don't understand Adkin's role - motivational coach?! Cortese only sees Adkins as a physio & has no respect so perhaps he should appoint someone who's decisions he trusts. Or maybe no-one new has come in cos no-one wants to work with Cortese since his reputation precedes him.

Reed is a coward. He needs to step up & share the burden. He's certainly no stealth PL manager! Choosing Jay Rod over Lambert. Lambert will be gone in Jan. Cortese is like Lowe with money, as CB Fry once said. I expected better but he's just like all the other money men & their bloody trusted advisors. Misplaced trust. Let the managers manage & identify their own transfer targets.

Jrod not an Adkins signing? dear oh dear.

Edited by shurlock

Jrod not an Adkins signing? dear oh dear.

Why is it such a silly suggestion? Ramirez was quite clearly not an Adkins signing; when news was initially leaked to the press that we were in for him NA admitted he knew very little about it (or indeed the player) but it sounded like a very interesting move.

Well if we're talking about "most with connections" - I'd say Nigel got a couple of his targets. Nat Clyne and Jay were most certainly his, and Paulo came on the recommendation of Big Jim.

For me the only 2 signings that you could bet your house on as being Adkins signings would be Forte and Sharp with Chaplow being a strong possibility. All the rest are down to the nebulous "transfer committee".

Why is it such a silly suggestion? Ramirez was quite clearly not an Adkins signing; when news was initially leaked to the press that we were in for him NA admitted he knew very little about it (or indeed the player) but it sounded like a very interesting move.

Did I mention Ramirez? Reread the quote - the suggestion is that NA got NONE of his targets.

Did I mention Ramirez? Reread the quote - the suggestion is that NA got NONE of his targets.

And I've heard that from other sources too, independent to that (one of whom I know for a fact has ties to the club). That NA submitted a list of transfer targets and that he got none of them. Is it true? I've no idea. But I don't think its an idea to scoff at and dismiss out of hand when you clearly don't know either way, and when there is clear precedent with our record transfer signing from the summer.

And I've heard that from other sources too, independent to that (one of whom I know for a fact has ties to the club). That NA submitted a list of transfer targets and that he got none of them. Is it true? I've no idea. But I don't think its an idea to scoff at and dismiss out of hand when you clearly don't know either way.

and yet, NA has come out time and time again, said he is happy with the players he has in..happy with those targeted..said time and time again that the first team and its selections and tactics is ALL on him....

someone is lying

For me the only 2 signings that you could bet your house on as being Adkins signings would be Forte and Sharp with Chaplow being a strong possibility. All the rest are down to the nebulous "transfer committee".

Cork?

Jrod is clearly an Adkins signing - NA has repeatedly said that he's been a long-time fan.

Our very real interest in Hooper is further evidence that NA's influence is far from marginal.

Edited by shurlock

Mayuka...where adkins has said that HE went to see him serveral times....

truth is...NONE of us have the foggiest...depsite claiming what is FACT

And I've heard that from other sources too, independent to that (one of whom I know for a fact has ties to the club). That NA submitted a list of transfer targets and that he got none of them. Is it true? I've no idea. But I don't think its an idea to scoff at and dismiss out of hand when you clearly don't know either way, and when there is clear precedent with our record transfer signing from the summer.

The poster obviously needed a muzzle because it made no sense - and now its binding, solid evidence...

And I've heard that from other sources too, independent to that (one of whom I know for a fact has ties to the club). That NA submitted a list of transfer targets and that he got none of them. Is it true? I've no idea. But I don't think its an idea to scoff at and dismiss out of hand when you clearly don't know either way.

It's something I could well believe but then I'm pretty credulous. One thing that always puzzles me is Billy Sharp, think NA made a big pitch to get him here with the prospective of PL football and then he gets shipped out after just a couple of sub appearances in the PL; Sharp says (well if you believe the BBC anyway) that NA told him it was the best thing for him(going to Forest that is).

Now I'm not at all sure that NA is the sort of bloke who would sell the club to a protegee in January and then dump him in August, seems he'd have a bit more faith than that.

and yet, NA has come out time and time again, said he is happy with the players he has in..happy with those targeted..said time and time again that the first team and its selections and tactics is ALL on him....

someone is lying

What have first team selections and tactics got to do with it?

All summer long Adkins kept stating that he wanted 1 or 2 CBs in. We got one, and we failed to sign a winger and a left back which he wanted; so I don't buy the whole "I'm happy with the players" line, if he actually said it. If he did say it, he clearly was lying, as he didn't get the sum of players that he wanted.

An undoutedly very well paid director of a premier league football club, 50 direct reports, in charge of player recruitment, behind the whole failing 'Southampton way' and most people seem has at least had some input into our new formaiton which we seem to have chosen in no small part simply because it's what Barcelona do. It seems to me that he's got a great job, involved in all the major decisions and seems happy to take the glory, yet is avoiding any of the flack when, like now, things are going badly.

It's my view that this man is equally, if not moreso responsible for the problems at this club as Adkins. Yet no one seems to be question his role, what he does or discussing where he has failed.

So much conjecture on this board it's getting ridiculous - you have used the words "seems" five times. You are guessing. One thing we do know is that Cortese plays his cards close to his chest, and there is little point trying to second guess him. If Reed is solely responsible for the signings and they are not up to scratch I am sure Cortese will have taken notice. I don't think he is the sort of bloke to let favouritism affect the way he runs the club.

What have first team selections and tactics got to do with it?

All summer long Adkins kept stating that he wanted 1 or 2 CBs in. We got one, and we failed to sign a winger and a left back which he wanted; so I don't buy the whole "I'm happy with the players" line, if he actually said it. If he did say it, he clearly was lying, as he didn't get the sum of players that he wanted.

he wanted 1 or 2 keepers...check

he wanted 1 or 2 CBs....done

he also got a RB

he wanted 1 or 2 midfielders...check

he wanted 1 or 2 strikers...done

is that not true though..?

he said he wanted 1 OR 2 CBs....we got a RB and a CB.....unless that is made up.?

Why have you left bits out?? Was it deliberate?

Said he wanted a LB (had a bid fail for one); didn't get one.

Said he wanted 1 or 2 CBs; also said he wanted them before the season started; got one just as the window was closing.

Said he wanted a RM with pace (had a bid fail for one); didn't get one.

Said he wanted 1 or 2 CBs; also said he wanted them before the season started; got one just as the window was closing.

In fact what we didn't get is what we're missing most of all.

ok...we got Mayuka...despite you saying he plays an entirely different position..looks at home on the right every time he has come on to play there...so that is sorted and I think he is going to be a very good player

LB..yes, that is a problem...

tell me, any club in the league that gets ALL the positions sorted they want....we pretty much covered all areas of the park......7 players or so.

many of which are first team players

if they are of enough quality, that is another matter

Yep. We're left with at least one CB who is only of Championship standard, a RM who barely played for us in the Championship promotion, a left back who can't defend and an overweight holy goalie.

I can pass on Boruc, just needed to make up our mind and get on with that in May or June but then I'd think he was looking for more money and a longer contract then. Think he'll come good, if only we had a defence. None of them would make most PL sides, including Clyne cos he's just too lightweight at the moment.

Edited by Window Cleaner

It's something I could well believe but then I'm pretty credulous. One thing that always puzzles me is Billy Sharp, think NA made a big pitch to get him here with the prospective of PL football and then he gets shipped out after just a couple of sub appearances in the PL; Sharp says (well if you believe the BBC anyway) that NA told him it was the best thing for him(going to Forest that is).

Now I'm not at all sure that NA is the sort of bloke who would sell the club to a protegee in January and then dump him in August, seems he'd have a bit more faith than that.

Did he? We hardly pulled out the stops for Sharp - it was pretty clear that, by Jan when we signed him, he had fallen down the pecking order. Our major target was Hooper - Sharp was reportedly keen to come here but we were chasing other targets.

And once he joined, Adkins seemed to cool on Sharp - recall he hardly featured until the end of the season when he went on his goal run. I don't get the sense that Adkins particularly rated Sharp -at least, not in the terms you suggest. Whether NA would ship him out is another matter.

tell me, any club in the league that gets ALL the positions sorted they want....we pretty much covered all areas of the park......7 players or so.

many of which are first team players

You're entirely missing my point. Its not so much getting all the players that needed to be replaced. Its adequately getting players in key positions that most need to be brought in. The manager identified his priorities and we didn't get those. Instead we prioritised spending £12M on a player in a position which Adam Lallana seemed to be being groomed for all summer. If Mayuka is a replacement for the RM we were after then ok, though I see him more as a replacement for Billy Sharp (saying that I think he's our best option at RM). And Rodriguez for £7M, one for the future but I will always question that outlay given the relative paucity of funds spend in other more key areas.

You're entirely missing my point. Its not so much getting all the players that needed to be replaced. Its adequately getting players in key positions that most need to be brought in. The manager identified his priorities and we didn't get those. Instead we prioritised spending £12M on a player in a position which Adam Lallana seemed to be being groomed for all summer. If Mayuka is a replacement for the RM we were after then ok, though I see him more as a replacement for Billy Sharp (saying that I think he's our best option at RM). And Rodriguez for £7M, one for the future but I will always question that outlay given the relative paucity of funds spend in other more key areas.

I do see you point but how do you know what we prioritised and didnt......?

from the same fella that gave us the running commentary on the ramirez saga (nixon..?) also told us that saints (at the same time) had a huge bid for a top CB agreed but the selling club (prem) changed their mind at the last min...we then went for rhys williams who is out till the new year......we have no idea if ramirez was priority over anyone....we really dont

I agree...I wish we got another CB and LB...I really do..but adkins has been backed very very heavily in positions all over the park....IMO, the problem lies with him as he is NO WAY making the most of a fairly talented squad...talented as newly promoted teams go...I have seen over recent years, teams with shyte managers and shyte players do far better than us...

from the same fella that gave us the running commentary on the ramirez saga (nixon..?) also told us that saints (at the same time) had a huge bid for a top CB agreed but the selling club (prem) changed their mind at the last min...we then went for rhys williams who is out till the new year......we have no idea if ramirez was priority over anyone....we really dont

I agree...I wish we got another CB and LB...I really do..but adkins has been backed very very heavily in positions all over the park....IMO, the problem lies with him as he is NO WAY making the most of a fair talented squad...talented as newly promoted teams go...I have seen over recent years, teams with shyte managers and shyte players do far better than us...

Well hang on a minute; we didn't "go for" Rhys Williams. We were at the game watching him when he got injured. There was no bid made, and this was well towards the end of the window. And I think its a bit folly to say that we didn't prioritise Ramirez. It may well have not been to the detriment of other bids (I believe it was but accept that's just my opinion) but he was clearly made a priority signing.

As for your last paragraph, yes. Ive previously stated elsewhere that I apportion blame for our malaise equally between Nigel Adkins, the players, Nicola Cortese and Les Reed. All are culpable in their own ways IMO.

Well hang on a minute; we didn't "go for" Rhys Williams. We were at the game watching him when he got injured. There was no bid made, and this was well towards the end of the window. And I think its a bit folly to say that we didn't prioritise Ramirez. It may well have not been to the detriment of other bids (I believe it was but accept that's just my opinion) but he was clearly made a priority signing.

As for your last paragraph, yes. Ive previously stated elsewhere that I apportion blame for our malaise equally between Nigel Adkins, the players, Nicola Cortese and Les Reed. All are culpable in their own ways IMO.

fair enough..but neither of us have no idea who or what is priority or who we have bid for...I bet that we bid for and nearly signed players that we will never know about......I think (myself included) we get so wrapped up on what we think is wrong that we state what is fact when we just dont know

at the MO...I will always think that had we have a manager intent on making us harder to beat, the issue about signings would not be an issue...I really think that adkins is letting himself and the club down..

anyway, he is to another 3 goals in on monday night :o

Ramirez was obviously prioritised both in time and money. Now weren't Bologna saying we couldn't provide sufficient guarantees

for future payments or something like that? Strange that soon afterwards news of a loan taken out by SFC against future receipts leaked out. I'd guess Ramirez took virtually all we had and most of what we could borrow to the detriment of other

deals. If we could just get him on to the pitch it would help.

Ramirez was obviously prioritised both in time and money. Now weren't Bologna saying we couldn't provide sufficient guarantees

that was found to be all bluster from them...the deal was agreed straight away and we were waiting for international clearence due to the 3rd party...hence why it took two weeks or so...which seemed like a lifetime on here..

Bologna came out with so much crap....people on here (wont name names) had said that we had agreed a a fee with bologna straight away and that Gaston had been over (in secret) to secure the deal...hence why Bologna had made signings before ramirez was officially sold in order to replace him

for future payments or something like that? Strange that soon afterwards news of a loan taken out by SFC against future receipts leaked out. I'd guess Ramirez took virtually all we had and most of what we could borrow to the detriment of other

deals. If we could just get him on to the pitch it would help.

Obviously??? Whether true or not (and we now know that there was a lot of spinning from the Bologna side and by your own admission, you are a credulous type), the fact is that we had serious money lined up to buy a CB.

I agree...I wish we got another CB and LB...I really do..but adkins has been backed very very heavily in positions all over the park....IMO, the problem lies with him as he is NO WAY making the most of a fairly talented squad...talented as newly promoted teams go...I have seen over recent years, teams with shyte managers and shyte players do far better than us...

If you're going to take Nixons word as gospel he also said we didn't know what centre back we wanted, a week before the window shut. 6 weeks after Adkins said we'd be looking to being in one or two centre backs as a priority. If this is the case then what a shambles. Or do we disregard this comment as it dares to suggest people in charge of recruitment are failing and not supporting the manager?

Edited by Turkish

Turkish-I'm astonished. I couldn't agree more with you that Reed holds too much power over Adkins's decisions!

(But I don't agree that it is the so called 'Southampton Way" that is at fault -it is more the inflexibility of approach to tactics that is denied to the coach, that is a problem)

I dread to think what replacement to Adkins Reed might choose (since Cortese seems to trust his advice).

Thank you. I had heard the same from 2 reliable sources although the usual smug numpties chose to berate any opinion they take a dislike to. Strange people!!

Jay Rod was mentioned by Adkins and I would like to think he chose Clyne who I rate but the truth is, I doubt he did and most people well placed whom I know all stipulate that his entire list got overlooked and only signings pushed through cos of Les Reed's bloody influence. There is something fundamentally wrong if this is true - it is wrong if a manager managing cannot build his plans and tactics from his own transfer targets. I'm not saying it is impossible to build from someone else's choices but it bloody well helps when your squad is built as per your vision/selection. It ties in with the strange subs, players often changed early in the game/half time (as if, the manager didn't agree with the selection in the first place) and the persistence of Reed pushing through Cortese's obsessions with pushing the kids through too quickly. All a bit familiar. The Lambert situation has some similarities to when that tw*t from the Cotswolds came back and shipped out Safri for no logical reason whatsoever (much like Lambert being dropped and if an offer comes in, he will be gone despite quality) other to push through the kids. Jay Rod over Lambert is stupid. Much like those useless kids we had before and pushing out Safri (the last decent professional of any merit we had left). Sounds a bit harsh on Jay Rod in this example but he's nothing special (touch, pace, etc. really lacking and I reserved judgement long enough).

Turkish-I'm astonished. I couldn't agree more with you that Reed holds too much power over Adkins's decisions!

(But I don't agree that it is the so called 'Southampton Way" that is at fault -it is more the inflexibility of approach to tactics that is denied to the coach, that is a problem)

I dread to think what replacement to Adkins Reed might choose (since Cortese seems to trust his advice).

Illtell you who it'll be, or at least what type of person it'll be. It'll be so someone similar to Adkins probably a young upcoming manager. Unless Reed and Cortese wind their necks in and let the manager manage it won't be anyone experienced witha proven track record in this country. Can you imagine RafaBenitez for example being told what to do by Les frigin Reed! Plus Reed will want to preserve his own position so wont want someone who is better qualified and better as the job than he is. Which is why i believe sacking Adkins will be pointless unless Reed goes too.

Edited by Turkish

No! no! No! This can't be true! The navy chef from Plymouth that rarely goes to games has told us Adkins got everything he wanted!

none of us have a clue..yet you state so much as fact...

I like to keep an open mind before going in for the kill......

Yet your quote Nixon to support your arguement you said about a big bid, so do you accept his comment that we didn't know what centre back we wanted a week before the window shut and 6 weeks after Adkins said they were a priority?

Yet your quote Nixon to support your arguement you said about a big bid, so do you accept his comment that we didn't know what centre back we wanted a week before the window shut and 6 weeks after Adkins said they were a priority?

I quoted Nixon...yes....that does not mean he knows EVERYTHING does it....why are you so INTENT on going in for the kill when you dont know the facts...and you dont do you..you have "heard" form people...I remember some hearing stories that the club would be sold...on more than one occaision..yet that was not true at all

Im not saying you are wrong...but I am not saying you are right.....I keep an open mind and IMO...I can see on the field that we are a shambles...not because adkins has not been backed but because he is employing tactics and selections that are insane...tactics and selections that he has said time and time again..that he is SOLELY responsible for..I know you will mention the word process...to me, that is adkins process as he keeps on and on reiterating that its all HIM..HE is responsible.....you will say the formation is forced on him.....is that a FACT..? absolutely not...it may be...or this process could be the child of adkins himself..? equally possible....I dont know which is which but I have not decided to go in for the kill...I can only go on what I see...that is adkins has been backed heavily in the transfer market and he is making mental subs and at times, team selections by being far too gung ho...

until I get it proven that NC or Reed are meddling...I guess that would be from Adkins mouth (which he keeps on saying that the 1st team is ALL him)..then I will keep an open mind....if they are meddling, then I will join you...but the FACTS are simply not there...

No! no! No! This can't be true! The navy chef from Plymouth that rarely goes to games has told us Adkins got everything he wanted!

So if I say I've been reliably informed, I must be correct. Apart from VMAN, nobody knows jack - and what people do know is of little consequence. The inner sanctum of the club plays its cards close to its chest - the rest is guesswork peddled to gullible mugs as unimpeachable truth.

I have no allegiance to the Cortese or the current regime but I deal in evidence -and that's been sorely missing. FACT