My rear view mirror fell off

Hatch

How the hell do you stick it back on?

It appears to have magically been attached to the windscreen. There is no sticky residue or any suggestion of how it was stuck there.

It just appears to be something that looks similar to a magnet , but clearly isn't.

Confused.

This happened to me in an old VW Scirocco I used to own. Typically just before a MOT (it would've been a failure). It was a few years ago, but I'm pretty sure I got a kit from halfords to re-attach it. You glue a little bit of gauze to the 'screen and then use a second glue on the base of the mirror itself and stick the two together. Worked really well, the mirror stayed on the screen for the few more years I owned the car.

This happened to me in an old VW Scirocco I used to own. Typically just before a MOT (it would've been a failure). It was a few years ago, but I'm pretty sure I got a kit from halfords to re-attach it. You glue a little bit of gauze to the 'screen and then use a second glue on the base of the mirror itself and stick the two together. Worked really well, the mirror stayed on the screen for the few more years I owned the car.

I used to be a windscreen fitter many moons ago and the "magnet" you mention is a small piece of metal which slides out of your rear view mirror.Take this out,give it a clean so the surface which touches the screen is flat,keeping it the same way up(otherwise the grooves at its sides wont match up),put a small dab of glue on it(not super glue because this can crack your windscreen), stick it on.Leave this for about a day,then slowly ease on the mirror over the metal tab.Hopefully this should work.

I used to be a windscreen fitter many moons ago and the "magnet" you mention is a small piece of metal which slides out of your rear view mirror.Take this out,give it a clean so the surface which touches the screen is flat,keeping it the same way up(otherwise the grooves at its sides wont match up),put a small dab of glue on it(not super glue because this can crack your windscreen), stick it on.Leave this for about a day,then slowly ease on the mirror over the metal tab.Hopefully this should work.