Van hire

Turkish

I need to hire a 7.5 tonne van for a weekend, ideally want to pick it up in Southampton and return it in the Leeds area. Can anyone recommend a company that will do this?

I don't think you can get a 7.5t van, 3.5t is usually the largest vans go - LWB Transit/Crafter/Sprinter. You'll also need to have passed your test before 1997 otherwise you won't be able to hire it without passing a HGV test, although not sure which one.

I reckon you'll be lucky to get everything you're looking for; not that many vehicle hire firms do 7.5t trucks, and those that do aren't too likely to allow a drop-off so far from the hiring location, or at least not without a hefty premium. You could try Burnt Tree (I hired a 7.5 tonner from their Newcastle depot a few years back and they were very good) but I don't know if they have a depot anywhere near Southampton.

And, as Swannymere says above, a 7.5 tonner is very much a truck and not a van. It's a big bugger, about 24' long and 7' or so wide.

I reckon you'll be lucky to get everything you're looking for; not that many vehicle hire firms do 7.5t trucks, and those that do aren't too likely to allow a drop-off so far from the hiring location, or at least not without a hefty premium. You could try Burnt Tree (I hired a 7.5 tonner from their Newcastle depot a few years back and they were very good) but I don't know if they have a depot anywhere near Southampton.

And, as Swannymere says above, a 7.5 tonner is very much a truck and not a van. It's a big bugger, about 24' long and 7' or so wide.

Did the hire price include half a dozen Yorkie Bars for the journey?

Look at Europcar.

I believe they do a 7.5tonne Luton tail lift, which if you passed your driving test early enough you will be able to drive on your licence.

Maybe also look at some of the local Southampton based firms - although obviously you'd have to return to Soton - as they may well still have some Luton's lying around.

I've moved various friends and generally speaking a 2/3 bed household including white goods, beds etc. will take minimum 2 more likely 3 trips in a 3.5t van, if you can get a luton and pack it correctly you should be able to do it in one run plus a couple of car loads. What are you moving?

I don't think it's possible to hire a self-drive 7.5 ton any more...as a company we used to but somewhere in the last ten years or so they brought in a regulation that you had to have an Operator's License to hire one...not sure if that's applicable to private hire but it looks like it from the other replies.

I'd suggest looking at the van with driver ads...it was quite a sensible price to move a large Boat Show stand and kit as compared with two 3.5 ton versions and was well within the weight limit (more difficult with the smaller ones).

I've moved various friends and generally speaking a 2/3 bed household including white goods, beds etc. will take minimum 2 more likely 3 trips in a 3.5t van, if you can get a luton and pack it correctly you should be able to do it in one run plus a couple of car loads. What are you moving?

Wont be moving any white goods, the biggest item will the sofas and a side board, all our tables, wardrobes, beds, chest of draws etc we can take apart. Although it will be pretty everything else you can think of that a normal house would have. I'm thinking two Luton vans now. I dont really want to be driving up and down the motorway all weekend or only hire one and then not fit it all in.

Will you be going to Watch Leeds when saints are down south???

It's a tricky one as i will fall into Saints catchment area at the moment and it's most likely Yorkshire will still be Saints catchment area next season, but should Leeds be promoted in the future then i may well be in their catchment area so would be one of the c1.5m people living withing 30 minutes of Elland Road looking for a premier league club to support or just want to watch Premier league football. I have to say i'm torn as to what the future might hold.

Cheers guys, could be in trouble here then, am moving up that way in a month. Maybe two Luton vans is the answer?

I've got the movers in this time - was impressed with the price and it's SO much easier than doing it all yourself. Got quotes from Pickfords, Whites and a more local firm - ended up going with the more local firm as they actually seemed to have more about them, care more and are, well, local!

I've got the movers in this time - was impressed with the price and it's SO much easier than doing it all yourself. Got quotes from Pickfords, Whites and a more local firm - ended up going with the more local firm as they actually seemed to have more about them, care more and are, well, local!

I was quoted £2.5K for that, no chance!