Charlton 0-0 Saints - Match Reaction

Arizona

LeGod Third Coming:

A helpful post. I think Perry is good in defence and I have kittens when we tried to play 4 inexperienced youngsters across the back previously before we put Perry in for experience and stability.

As it is, most of Charlton's chances seemed to come through Jay McEveley who had a stonking game by all accounts. Was he their left back? If so, I guess that Lallana and James didn't have the measure of him.

As you say, our finishing is just not up to the standard needed to gain us points.

Every Charlton player was bang up for it first half and Gillespie ran us ragged down both flanks - which meant we simply weren't able to get into the game.

James for me is an enigma. His crossing is superb but his positional play is all over the shop at times. Lallana may still be mentally/physically feeling the effects of his recent injury. His thinking is also too quick for some of his colleagues... In the second half we were attacking through the middle of the park with ease and he and Cork were instrumental in much of that.

Our problem was the final third. Sometimes we had great chances to cross the ball but I was closer to the goal from row k than our 'attackers'.

Whether deliberate or otherwise, we weren't throwing men into the box which I personally would have done against a team whose confidence was suspect.

Whether deliberate or otherwise, we weren't throwing men into the box which I personally would have done against a team whose confidence was suspect.

It's usually a team who are lacking in confidence in their own defensive qualities that are slow to get people in the opposition penalty area to meet crosses. Saints like to attack through a wide midfield corridor. They don't seem to do well with the crosses to the byeline approach. This is understandable. The former is a continental style of play, and the latter is typically English. Dutch coaches.

It's usually a team who are lacking in confidence in their own defensive qualities that are slow to get people in the opposition penalty area to meet crosses. Saints like to attack through a wide midfield corridor. They don't seem to do well with the crosses to the byeline approach. This is understandable. The former is a continental style of play, and the latter is typically English. Dutch coaches.

Even when we had the ball deep though and it was being swung into the box, we simply didn't have anybody to meet it with a thumping header! It is such a shame we cannot afford John, he would have bagged a hatrick yesterday.

Having said that, Bradley had a golden chance through on goal and passed it to weaver when a shot either side would have nicked it for us. Strangely subdued for a bloke who scored two stunners against Reading.

A draw was a fair result.

Charlton dominated the first half and but for Kelvin we could have been 2 or 3 down. Second half we came out and looked a completely different side.

Charlton fans and players alike started to get nervy as the game came to a close and I wouldn't have been surprised had we nicked it right at the death

Still, a point is a decent result and hopefully we can build on this in our next game.

Edited by Bailey

Charlton dominated the first half and but for Kelvin we could have been 2 or 3 down. Second half we came out and looked a completely different side.

Charlton fans and players alike started to get nervy as the game came to a close and I wouldn't have been surprised had we nicked it right at the death

Still, a point is a decent result and hopefully we can build on this in our next game.

I'd agree with that. When 3 minutes extra time was announced, we cheered it louder than Charlton, and having got that far without conceding I really felt we would nick it. All our best chances seemed to come in the last 20 minutes [mind you, none of us could see much of any 1st half chances up the other end]. Because of that, I was disappointed that we didn't get the 3 points.

Davis' 3 saves just before half-time were fantastic BTW.

Sums it up well.

Charlton were dangerous in the first half but to be honest the only time that I thought things looked really dodgy were once when Davis caught a cross, then got bundled over and dropped the ball - but he was up again quickly to save the shot brilliantly; and secondly when Rudi handled in the box for all to see except for the referee an the linesman.

Other than that Charlton rained just the types of shots in that might be hard for some keepers to deal with but Super Kelvin seems to find easy.

Saints really turned it around in the second half and started playing some great stuff, although as usual without that final cutting edge. BWP had a couple of chances and was so close to breaking through one on one at one point but he seemed to slip over just at the wrong moment.

I thought Charlton looked like a good team and should be climbing the table soon. Meanwhile Saints are so close to being really good, but they really need to be out of the pressure zone at the end of the season with all these youngsters.

Good performances from all the team, decent support considering most people were frozen at the end of the match, and nice stream of constant abuse at Nicky Weaver for most of the second half which if fairly obscene was amusing.

Something of a let-down after Reading, but that was inevitable.

Davis made three or four world-class saves in the first half: two in particular were breathtaking. The Saints really didn't threaten at all, and Gillepsie was causing us problems down their right hand side (targeting Skacel seems to be a common tactic)

The second half saw a marked improvement, but few enough clearcut chances - at least compared to Reading. The two best fell to BWP, who fresh-aired a volley from less than 10 yards out as the ball dropped from height, and then made a pig's ear of a one-on-one, dribbling the ball tamely at Weaver.

boy was it cold and Charlton still have terrible half time service. Not a bad game and glad to see that we can come out after half time and improve lie so many sides do at SMS. Great substitution by Jan, he starting to make the right decision. Perhaps I was wrong about him.

Davis - 8 one save came from his dropped catch. Some rediculous short passes need to be eradicated. One world class save.

James 5 - like his composure on the ball and decent crossing but ****ing hell he is slow and lightweight. He is a massive weak link when it comes to deep crosses. Boy do we need a real right back.

Cork (3 first half) 8 second half. Gray ****ed all over him. In midfield he ran the show with Surman.

Perry 7 - solid but only when Pearce was along side him.

Skacel 7 decent display. Nothing offered going forward though.

Schneiderlin 6 only when we had three in the middle did we get control. Get stuck in lad.

Surman 8 - tremendous effort. He was everywhere and bombed on all game. In top form and I just can't understand anyone that does not see his talent.

McGoldrick 7 not bad game, just needed a little more.

Lallana - 6 looked slightly tired and gave the ball away quite a bit. Caused problems but lack of end product again.

BWP 4 - must be something about the valley. He was dreadful last season and didn't do nearly enough on Saturday. Get to the ****ing byeline.

Robertson 2 - ****e. Drop him.

Pearce 8 tower of strength and we suddenly looked solid at the back.

Patterson 8 - time to start him. Looks miles better than Robertson.

If we got to the byeline and crossed we would be more of a threat. A draw was about fair. Can't wait for the next game. Watching Saints right now is very good fun.

boy was it cold and Charlton still have terrible half time service. Not a bad game and glad to see that we can come out after half time and improve lie so many sides do at SMS. Great substitution by Jan, he starting to make the right decision. Perhaps I was wrong about him.

Davis - 8 one save came from his dropped catch. Some rediculous short passes need to be eradicated. One world class save.

James 5 - like his composure on the ball and decent crossing but ****ing hell he is slow and lightweight. He is a massive weak link when it comes to deep crosses. Boy do we need a real right back.

Cork (3 first half) 8 second half. Gray ****ed all over him. In midfield he ran the show with Surman.

Perry 7 - solid but only when Pearce was along side him.

Skacel 7 decent display. Nothing offered going forward though.

Schneiderlin 6 only when we had three in the middle did we get control. Get stuck in lad.

Surman 8 - tremendous effort. He was everywhere and bombed on all game. In top form and I just can't understand anyone that does not see his talent.

McGoldrick 7 not bad game, just needed a little more.

Lallana - 6 looked slightly tired and gave the ball away quite a bit. Caused problems but lack of end product again.

BWP 4 - must be something about the valley. He was dreadful last season and didn't do nearly enough on Saturday. Get to the ****ing byeline.

Robertson 2 - ****e. Drop him.

Pearce 8 tower of strength and we suddenly looked solid at the back.

Patterson 8 - time to start him. Looks miles better than Robertson.

If we got to the byeline and crossed we would be more of a threat. A draw was about fair. Can't wait for the next game. Watching Saints right now is very good fun.

Chez, got to agree with a lot of what you have written. It was a pretty torrid first half but JP made the changes second and that's what got us point (and nearly all three).

Lloyd James, although not a right back has really got stuck in the last two or three games and I feel that he is a contributory factor that we have only lost one goal in three games, so although he looks uncomfortable at times, he has done a good job.

Our midfield in the second half was outstanding. Cork is a natural and really outshone everyone else, he really was tremendous. Adam as always gave 110% and Morgan (who seems to breeze through games) looked more comfortable.

Up front Brad had a pretty off day, McG put in a ton of work for no reward and Robertsons first half performance was pretty low key. Young Paterson looks very eager and a very good prospect, needs longer than 5/10 minutes to really show us what he's got.

Finally, the introduction of Pearce really cemented it for us. He looks a very, very reliable defender.

Roll on Saturday and Sheff Wed, enjoying my football at the moment and as you say watching Saints right now is very good fun!

COYR

Lloyd James, although not a right back has really got stuck in the last two or three games and I feel that he is a contributory factor that we have only lost one goal in three games, so although he looks uncomfortable at times, he has done a good job.

I like Lloyd James, but will not argue with others complaints about his performances because it has been so obvious. But I feel the lad has a lot going for him and that most of his problems can be remedied easily.

• He really snaps into the tackle.
  • His crossing is superb and the sheer quality will always produce goals.
  • Gets up and down the pitch with ease and really gives support to the attack.
  • His biggest problem is his positioning which gets him into all sorts of trouble.
  • He has to learn to stay on his feet rather than lunge in hit or miss style. OK lunging in if you win the ball but his percentages need to be a lot higher.
  • His defensive heading has been poor, but most of that I put down to positioning.

Looking at all that, if he can sort his positioning out most of his troubles are over and then he just has to fine tune his "committed tackles". Which if he sorts out his positioning would automatically allow him to win far more of his "committed tackles" than he does now.

I like Lloyd James, but will not argue with others complaints about his performances because it has been so obvious. But I feel the lad has a lot going for him and that most of his problems can be remedied easily.

• His biggest problem is his positioning which gets him into all sorts of trouble.
  • He has to learn to stay on his feet rather than lunge in hit or miss style. OK lunging in if you win the ball but his percentages need to be a lot higher.
  • His defensive heading has been poor, but most of that I put down to positioning.

Looking at all that, if he can sort his positioning out most of his troubles are over and then he just has to fine tune his "committed tackles". Which if he sorts out his positioning would automatically allow him to win far more of his "committed tackles" than he does now.

Im not saying that Llloyd is in Bales class but GB was not good a defender.LJ is learning his position and that will take time.

On that form he should only have got 16 last season!!!!! How I would love DMG to get 16 goals this season.

Probably achievable, he's got 7 including the Derby goal and we're not quite halfway through the season. 15 would be a very good return for a 21 year old in his first season, I know he's not the greatest striker ever but people need to remember how old he is and he is/will improve a lot.

With a bit more composure and some experience in front of goal I think he will become a good striker for us, I think the return of Euell will help him a lot.

He should probably practice penalties as well. :|

Probably achievable, he's got 7 including the Derby goal and we're not quite halfway through the season.

I had him down as only having 5 league goals including the Derby one.

He should probably practice penalties as well. :|

Of which one was a penalty (although he should definitely keep practicising cos the Watford effrt was shocking!!).

For me, if he simply stays on his feet and goal side his game will improve 30-40% immediately. And that would be good enough in this league.

McGoldrick has ability. Give the lad time and he'll become a top player for us or at least a sizeable cheque.

Indeed, people need to remember he's a 21 year old leading the line on his own a lot of the time. There is a lot of pressue it's not going to be easy for him but he will come good.

Indeed, people need to remember he's a 21 year old leading the line on his own a lot of the time. There is a lot of pressue it's not going to be easy for him but he will come good.

I hope you are right because it seems we are stuck with him despite

his shortcomings.

I have seen enough to come to the conclusion that he is not going to make it.

All in my opinion of course.

For me, if he simply stays on his feet and goal side his game will improve 30-40% immediately. And that would be good enough in this league.

As a friend pointed out to me the other day, that was exactly the criticism of Channon when he was first on the scene! He'll certainly get better with experience and developing physique, the question is how much.