Charlton 0-0 Saints - Match Reaction

Arizona

No I'm sure you didn't but then due to your stated stance it's hardly a surprise. Try reading it again and digest it's content without any pre-judgement and you may just see it for what it is....utter twaddle.

Could you state what is actually wrong with the post.

It is no good saying it is twaddle without saying why it is twaddle.

I thought he was saying it would be difficult to get an experienced striker because of the financial situation at SFC .

Yes Saga is an option but finances maybe a problem.

A friend knows a fringe player who plays for Luton. If he gets on the pitch even if it is for a couple of minutes he gets £500, can you imagine what our much valued high earners would be on apearance money.

Cheaper than going down.

We never lost a game last season when Pearson put Saga in the starting line-up. He also brought the best out of John.

Yes you have hit the nail on the head there.

I like Saga I think of the team last season he was probably the most skilful but if we have to pay him £120000 in wages and we dont have it well he cant play I would have thought and he would either be sold or loaned.

But who knows what the financial situation really is

Yes Saga is an option but finances maybe a problem.

But if John is not scoring at Bristol why will he score here.

Early in the season McGoldrick was the main striker so John was not given starts

And you've probably answered the question with your last line.

John's season never started here, as he was clearly not wanted and he has been playing catch up ever since.

You don't become a bad player overnight.

He was the 4th leading goalscorer in the league last season, in a team that seriously underperformed.

Could you state what is actually wrong with the post.

It is no good saying it is twaddle without saying why it is twaddle.

I thought he was saying it would be difficult to get an experienced striker because of the financial situation at SFC .

That's fair comment although I would have thought it was obvious but here goes:

How do you expect the board to magic up an experienced striker?

....how about one of the VERY proven goalscorers we have currently out on loan?! (Yes, wages blah blah blah but if they make a difference then the extra 'cost' is a simple no-brainer.

We will probably get lumbered with the most useless of those we have out on loan. That looks like Saga by a mile, so he could well get his chance unless he drags us into administration, but there is nothing recently to indicate it is going to be any better.

...how the hell can Saga single handedly 'drag us into administration'?!

Is a little clearer now why I thought it was 'twaddle'?

And you've probably answered the question with your last line.

John's season never started here, as he was clearly not wanted and he has been playing catch up ever since.

You don't become a bad player overnight.

He was the 4th leading goalscorer in the league last season, in a team that seriously underperformed.

I think it can happen John is getting older but time will tell .

If he was not on huges wages we would probably not having this conversation.

Do you know when his contract ends

....how about one of the VERY proven goalscorers we have currently out on loan?! (Yes, wages blah blah blah but if they make a difference then the extra 'cost' is a simple no-brainer.

We will probably get lumbered with the most useless of those we have out on loan. That looks like Saga by a mile, so he could well get his chance unless he drags us into administration, but there is nothing recently to indicate it is going to be any better.

No its not really twaddle you dont think the financial situation is as bad as the original poster which maybe the case.

I dont think we will go into administration because the club wont pay high wages so I dont think Saga and John will play that much more for the club.

Edited by John B

I can see both sides of the debate , surely you must realise we'd all love the 'star' players turning out for us but needs must and a club losing so much money has little if any room to manouvere.

One of those players back in the team may be beyond our budget.

He signed a two year deal with us and with all due respect he has only just turned 32.

You don't go from scoring 20 goals in a struggling side to being a crock of shyyt.

I just thought he over performed last season like Beattie did in the Premiership

Over thirty I would thought was getting old for a striker

Edited by John B

He signed a two year deal with us and with all due respect he has only just turned 32.

You don't go from scoring 20 goals in a struggling side to being a crock of shyyt.

I agree, I was 1 who championed his signing and I know he loves it here but finance must play a part in his omission.May Iadd he has been less than clinical when he has played. The lack of games is not always a good excuse if you are a goalscorer.

I can see both sides of the debate , surely you must realise we'd all love the 'star' players turning out for us but needs must and a club losing so much money has little if any room to manouvere.

One of those players back in the team may be beyond our budget.

The financial argument is totally different to the ability argument, and I don't for one minute think Stern John has all of a sudden become a poor player.

4th highest scorer last season and people are questioning his ability FFS.

As for the financial argument, then that may well be a different matter.

Pessimists (or they might even be realists;)) might argue that we can't afford him, whilst the optimists might argue that with his goals we'd be winning more games, climbing the table and getting bigger gates. Now that could be an argument that will run and run as there is no way of proving it either way.

But what is undeniable is that we need to score more goals.

whilst the optimists might argue that with his goals we'd be winning more games, climbing the table and getting bigger gates.
That is an interesting thing, but if we went for it and the goals still ddint come we may put ourselves in an untenable postion and perhaps a minus 10 point deduction.I have the position that if we dont go into administration however it is done means we have earnt 10 points.

The financial argument is totally different to the ability argument, and I don't for one minute think Stern John has all of a sudden become a poor player.

4th highest scorer last season and people are questioning his ability FFS.

As for the financial argument, then that may well be a different matter.

Pessimists (or they might even be realists;)) might argue that we can't afford him, whilst the optimists might argue that with his goals we'd be winning more games, climbing the table and getting bigger gates. Now that could be an argument that will run and run as there is no way of proving it either way.

But what is undeniable is that we need to score more goals.

I would love you to be right John returns and scores ten goal but lets wait and see.

By the way at the start of the season where did you expect us to finish

Edited by John B

I assumed when we were talking about experienced strikers, it would relate to one that was of some use? Otherwise we may as well just stick with McG. If we wanted to keep Stern John who is the best out of the bunch, but in doing so would also mean having Saga back on our books, you really thing after everything we are going through that is going to stand up?

Was that all to complicated or do you want it in pictures?

I just thought he over performed last season like Beattie did in the Premiership

Well go and have a look at his career goalscoring record and he gets a goal every 2.5 games which is a pretty decent record.

On that form he should only have got 16 last season!!!!! How I would love DMG to get 16 goals this season.

Over thirty I would thought was getting old for a striker

Two of the three above him in the scoring charts last season were 34 & 30.

That legend on financial statements, Iwelumo, who is currently 2nd, is 30, Phillips at 35 is 5th and Beattie is up there again.

Cheaper than going down.

We never lost a game last season when Pearson put Saga in the starting line-up. He also brought the best out of John.

Totally agree. If Saga's wages are say £10k a week that is only 800 extra tickets that need to be sold per each home game to cover it?

If Saga is even a partial success with a few goals and therefore better results how many more are his goals going to add to gates if we start winning at home? More than 800. And if he saves us from relegation and crowds dropping to maybe 10,000 it seems like the tiniest gamble to bring him back with the worst outcome being that we don't do any worse on the scoring front than we do now.

Decent result but I am worried.

If Lowe intends pursuing his youth policy, and it seems from many sources that is the case then he will not want to sell Lallana or Surman and quite right too.

However, if he cannot offload at least 2 of John, Saganowski, Euell and Skacel (Rasiak is on a full year loan I believe) then he is going to have to look at our only other high earning saleable assett and that is Davis.

That will leave us with and inexperienced and so far uninspiring Bialkowski and Forecast the rookie who is not yet, and by some accounts never will make the grade.

It is Davis that is helping keeping the goals against down.

So my fear is there for all to see.

Bialkowski looked like the scoop of the season when he first came here, he played what was it, seven games? And he was blindingly good before he busted his finger or something. I've still got hopes that he'll come good yet.

Totally agree. If Saga's wages are say £10k a week that is only 800 extra tickets that need to be sold per each home game to cover it?

If Saga is even a partial success with a few goals and therefore better results how many more are his goals going to add to gates if we start winning at home? More than 800. And if he saves us from relegation and crowds dropping to maybe 10,000 it seems like the tiniest gamble to bring him back with the worst outcome being that we don't do any worse on the scoring front than we do now.

It may well be that Aalborg BK have an option to extend the Saganowski loan in January - in which case this discussion would be moot .

A great weekend at the Dubai Rugby 7's getting mortalled. relied on txt updates on the score, so no input other than wow we are on an unbeaten run which was as unexpected as England getting to the final and me still being able to type after 2 days on the beer

But some Saints lads out there who have been here before will be pleased to know the new home of the egg chasing beer drinker weekend is awesome and the Dubai Saints flag flew loud and proud again. (Which Leon's crowd never allowed at SMS)

So a big Heyayyay Baby hic barf from Dubai and well done lads at Charlton, made it a good weekend!

Now off to pass out. Thx EoA for the txts!

Just defrosting at home now - so, so cold!

Not in the races in the first half and only kept in it by Super Kelvin Davis. Second half the switch made a big difference with Cork showing off his silky skills in midfield and Pearce adding vital bulk at the back. Still no cutting edge up front, but at least the defence looks marginally better. A good point on reflection, Charlton had the better chances.

just been looking at the table and i think it looks better than it is. The teams below us have what it takes to string together wins at any time. We need to start making home form count and achieving a goal touch to avoid trouble.

As for the point today? Not bad. Fell asleep during the second half and dreamed we lost so i'm happy with a point. :)

At reading last week we were amazing. Today the problem was upfront where robertson had a shocker. Bwp was frustrating because while at times he looked good that limp shot when one on one with the keeper was just so bad. Mcgoldrick good but not sure about him up top as the target man. My view was today that we were the better team. I'm sure charlton will be disappointed that they didn't score in the 5 minutes before half time when they had us on the ropes. However 2nd half we passed the ball deliciously. If bwp could have finished or patterson would have cut the ball back across goal rather than going for glory we'd have won and it wuldn't be a travesty. Once pearce came on they couldn't threaten us aerially. He's got to start every game imo just for his aerial ability.

Davis 10

James 7

Cork 8

Perry 8

Skacel 7

surman 8

Sneiderlin 8

Lallana 8 (if he could shoot what a player he'd be)

mcgoldrick 7

BWP 6

Robertson 4

Just back and I thought Saints shaded it due to their 2nd H form which had Charlton pinned back. Unfortunately B.WP and McGoldrick are not up to what we need. Plenty of huff and puff but no end product. A decent forward today and we would have come home with 3 points.

PS Paterson looks a better bet to me than either Robertson or Pekhart.

£60 saved not bothering with that one by the sounds of it. Not a bad away point though.

Well, you are wrong. Yet another example of a pontificating keyboard stroker. We were not tight enough in the first half and Kelvin kept us in it. Jan's changes in the second half worked and we were definitely the better team and could have won it. An entertaining match.

We do not need any more young strikers,we need an experienced one

and the board must find a way or we will be in serious trouble.

The best option would be one we already own.

I won`t comment on the game as i did not hear any of it so will await the reports from

those at the match.

Blimey, someone who didn't go to the game who does not cast aspersions on the perfomance before hearing from others. That must be a first round here.

Just back and I thought Saints shaded it due to their 2nd H form which had Charlton pinned back. Unfortunately B.WP and McGoldrick are not up to what we need. Plenty of huff and puff but no end product. A decent forward today and we would have come home with 3 points.

PS Paterson looks a better bet to me than either Robertson or Pekhart.

Agree that Paterson looked good, put himself about well, not sure about his finishing power though, but a bit early to judge.

From the bench or reserves?

Well, Saga only started 15 games last season. My point is just because he didn't score, doesn't mean he can't.

DMG hadn't managed to score or make much impression on the CCC at all in 2 years of not taking his chances. If he is suddenly a stalwart in the team, I think we can find room for a player like Saga who CAN score and works hard up front.

I wish I had the time to analyse the stats instead of going to games but I doubt minute-for-minute he compares that unfavourably.

Sorry, but I've spent more than enough on going to the Bristol City, Wolves, Reading and Plymouth games. TBH I wouldn't chose to spend £60 and a return train journey from Lincolnshire for a 0-0 draw, no matter how entertaining it is.

For the record DMG got 2 goals in 18 games in League 1 last year. He also got 0 goals in 11 games for Saints.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=37797

Well, Saga only started 15 games last season. My point is just because he didn't score, doesn't mean he can't.

DMG hadn't managed to score or make much impression on the CCC at all in 2 years of not taking his chances. If he is suddenly a stalwart in the team, I think we can find room for a player like Saga who CAN score and works hard up front.

Sorry, but I've spent more than enough on going to the Bristol City, Wolves, Reading and Plymouth games. TBH I wouldn't chose to spend £60 and a return train journey from Lincolnshire for a 0-0 draw, no matter how entertaining it is.

For the record DMG got 2 goals in 18 games in League 1 last year. He also got 0 goals in 11 games for Saints.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=37797

I don't think DMG is the answer to our goal drought, but nor is Saga based on last year's form - the year before maybe.

I don't think DMG is the answer to our goal drought, but nor is Saga based on last year's form - the year before maybe.

I think that's the crux of the matter.

Saga gets more stick for his poor season last year, because he was fantastic the year before. Yes his scoring rate was very poor last season, but why are people obsessed with that and ignore the fantastic performances which got us into the playoffs.

If he can repeat the drought, he can repeat the goal-rush.

DMG was crap in League 1 last season. He gets a run in the team and has netted 6 so far. Saga has a much better attitude and given chance I think he could have gotten 8 or 9.

I agree Paterson looked lively when he came on, big lad with a good lunging tackle on him.

I thought we looked good in the main. The defence look alright but every so often we just open up a the back so badly, we should heve been punished.

KD kept us in the game, but a couple of the good saves were from his mistakes. But that aside he was f*cking brilliant.

We need to get a bloke in behind the defense and get the ball in through the channels occasionally as the crossing is not always effective.

Shooting on site was a bit wasteful at times. But overall we were the better side.

Edited by Fan The Flames

The only thing Charlton had to offer was a high ball into Burton and gray. Firt half saints couldnt cope with the aerial balls and could have conceded three. Pearce on at half time(should have started as it was kind of obvious how charlton were going to play) and the saints were never troubled again in the air and it gave us the confidence to play our stuff.

Oh do I enjoy watching this team knock it about. Most of the second half charlton were chasing shadows. Fans great, should have won and overall desreved to win.

Morgan S ooozes class on the ball!!!!

Although I wasn't at the game and only listening to it on the radio, I find it hard to believe that some are saying that we shaded it and even some say we should have come away with the three points. According to the commentary, we didn't have one shot on goal until Perry's header at the half hour mark, whereas Davies had made the most incredible string of saves and was playing out of his skin. If I heard it right that he had made about 7/8 truly magnificent saves, obviously with a goalkeeper not quite as on top of his game, we could easily have conceded three or four without him. And how many chances did we have that ended as shots on target? Not many at all seemingly.

JP had stated in a pre match interview that we feared nobody as we had dominated most teams so far this season. The results show the stupidity of that remark if domination is not turned into points, but today we were dominated by Charlton until the second half where it appeared that Charlton's players were not as fit as ours and began to tire. Things also changed when the completely innefectual Robertson was taken off and Pearce came on, as not only is he a decent defender, but he also has the strength and presence to add threat to the attack from set pieces and also Cork is a better player in the centre of the park.

But when we had made those substitutions, we had tightened up the midfield playing 4-5-1 which is what we should be doing more often away anyway. As often has happened to us in the past, teams playing that formation at St. Mary's often hit us with a sucker punch on the break and take all three points, especially as we are so crap at home and we could have done the same to Charlton. But Charlton had enough opportunities to have hit several past us today and unlike us, it wasn't the paucity of striker quality that prevented it; it was the incredible performance of Davies that saved our bacon yet again.

For all the revolutionary total football played by our brilliant youngsters once in a blue moon, it was one of the oldest players in our squad that shone the brightest yet again. Ironic, isn't it?

Although I wasn't at the game and only listening to it on the radio, I find it hard to believe that some are saying that we shaded it and even some say we should have come away with the three points. According to the commentary, we didn't have one shot on goal until Perry's header at the half hour mark, whereas Davies had made the most incredible string of saves and was playing out of his skin. If I heard it right that he had made about 7/8 truly magnificent saves, obviously with a goalkeeper not quite as on top of his game, we could easily have conceded three or four without him. And how many chances did we have that ended as shots on target? Not many at all seemingly.

JP had stated in a pre match interview that we feared nobody as we had dominated most teams so far this season. The results show the stupidity of that remark if domination is not turned into points, but today we were dominated by Charlton until the second half where it appeared that Charlton's players were not as fit as ours and began to tire. Things also changed when the completely innefectual Robertson was taken off and Pearce came on, as not only is he a decent defender, but he also has the strength and presence to add threat to the attack from set pieces and also Cork is a better player in the centre of the park.

But when we had made those substitutions, we had tightened up the midfield playing 4-5-1 which is what we should be doing more often away anyway. As often has happened to us in the past, teams playing that formation at St. Mary's often hit us with a sucker punch on the break and take all three points, especially as we are so crap at home and we could have done the same to Charlton. But Charlton had enough opportunities to have hit several past us today and unlike us, it wasn't the paucity of striker quality that prevented it; it was the incredible performance of Davies that saved our bacon yet again.

For all the revolutionary total football played by our brilliant youngsters once in a blue moon, it was one of the oldest players in our squad that shone the brightest yet again. Ironic, isn't it?

Go to a game and make your own mind up maybe a suggestion?????

Reactions to the above from the ground:

1. Jack Cork moving into midfield changed the game for the second half. A really good managerial tactical change. Cork was outstanding throughout and between he, Perry and Davies were our three best players.

2. Perry was returning to his former club where he is hero-worshipped and as a result one could reasonably expect him to be on his game. And no-one I know of has said Perry could not or does not fit our system. For his age he is sharp and he reads the game superbly.

3. Having travelled to and from the game with four Charlton fans they were unanimous that the performance was their best of the season by a country mile. They were also convinced we would nick it in the second half when we clearly the better side. Ignoring their form under Pardew (who won nine games in 2008 ), a point at the Valley is far from a disaster.

4. Thier keeper also pulled off some excellent saves in the second half, but probably not to the same standard as Kelvin in the first. That we have a great keeper should not be a cause for complaint. He is paid to stop the ball going in the net.

5. What stopped us winning that game was the quality of finishing as has been mentioned elsewhere. What stops us having John and Rasiak here is not the manager, but the club's finances that many on this board have the power to alter but are choosing not to.

Overall, perhaps those who say we shaded it are Saints fans. After all, if you want objective reviews buy the Guardian.

Go to a game and make your own mind up maybe a suggestion?????

Not helpful. I go to all home matches and therefore have some idea of how we play. Presumably if you were at the game, conversely you are not able to comment on whether the Radio Solent commentary was accurate or not either. Anybody not able to attend away games has to rely on that.

LeGod Third Coming:

A helpful post. I think Perry is good in defence and I have kittens when we tried to play 4 inexperienced youngsters across the back previously before we put Perry in for experience and stability.

As it is, most of Charlton's chances seemed to come through Jay McEveley who had a stonking game by all accounts. Was he their left back? If so, I guess that Lallana and James didn't have the measure of him.

As you say, our finishing is just not up to the standard needed to gain us points.