Who would make old prem team?

paulwantsapint

Which players of the current squad could have made WGS prem saints squad? If any?

Best players this season

KD Only able to challange Jones for sub

Cork + Pearce niether as good as Killer or Claus but would have been in squad

Spiderman possible reserve

Surman would be pushing Delap for Oakleys midfield partner

Lallana similar to Fabrice or Anders lacks end product but would be in squad

DMG less potent or work rate than Ormerod or Tessem

Skacel is a better left winger than McCann for instance.

This is true but McCann was only a bit-part player and a fit Chris Marsden would always have been picked ahead of him. Is Skacel a better player that Marsden? May be, but for what Marsden brought to the team, I'd have him in my team any day of the week (and I'm a Rudi fan).

Scheiderlin - in place of Delap

Cork - for Oakley

McGoldrick - light years better than Ormerod

Lallana - for Svensson

Surman - for Marsden

All of the above would walk into Strachan's team. The Premiership has moved on massively since then.

Cork - for Oakley

Lallana - for Svensson

Surman - for Marsden

All of the above would walk into Strachan's team. The Premiership has moved on massively since then.

Er! No!

With all of those on the right, we were 4th in the Premiership at Christmas in 2003, with all those on the left we are 6th bottom of the CCC coming upto Christmas 2008. Scrachan's team of 2002 and 2003 would murder our current team.

DMG wouldn't get in the reserve team, I can honestly say hand on heart he is one of the worst players I have EVER seen in a Saints shirt (and I've been watching them home and away consistently for the last ten years).

Which means you would have seen Patrick Colletter play which would make you a liar.

Skacel is probably better than McCann but he'd be no way near the team when we had Bridge and Marsden on the left side.

Surman, Schneiderlin and Lallana would all be in the squad somewhere getting the odd game. Davis would be a decent enough sub keeper.

None of the others would be good enough to make the sqaud.

McCann v Holmes (Holmes for me)

Delap v Surman (Surman for me)

Oakley v Schniederlin (Schnederlin for me)

Fernandes v Lallana ( About the same, except Lallana has time to impove)

The rest are know where near good enough.

Except Pearce (future England player) but hes not ours.

McCann v Holmes (Holmes for me)

Delap v Surman (Surman for me)

Oakley v Schniederlin (Schnederlin for me)

Fernandes v Lallana ( About the same, except Lallana has time to impove)

The rest are know where near good enough.

Except Pearce (future England player) but hes not ours.

A key player in our best season in recent history, not as good as a player who isn't even the best player in a CCC team battling relegation?

Sorry, but Oakley was far better than MS, he probably even still is now.

You can see what Burley will do.

Talented young centre back with some CCC experience, "I know, lets play him left wing, hic".

Off topic, but I remember one game last season when Burley played 7 players out of possition. I am glad those days are over.

Cork - for Oakley

Lallana - for Svensson

Surman - for Marsden

Ormerod was under rated he was such a good foil for Beattie that JB made the England team. Brett did so much running to create space for Beatts. Beattie was never the same player again after his partnership was broken!

I, for one, would far prefer to follow and (literally) support these admirable young men over the likes of (fuct off when we needed him) Oakley, (donkey) Delap, Higgingwhatthing, (sulker) Fernandes and some of the others previously mentioned. True that currently some of these teenagers would not be a better choice than seasoned journeymen pros but in the future/long run they be a lot better/a lot better option.

We are in a lowly position, however we should really be able to relate to and support these excellent young men!!

Cork - for Oakley

Lallana - for Svensson

Surman - for Marsden

I've just noticed this post, I'll have a pint/spliff/syringe of whatever you're on.

In what way is DMG better than Ormerod. Certainly not in terms of effort, pace and passing ability. DMG's 3 league goals from open play in 3 years in the first team squad is hardly exciting either.

I personally would be tempted to have Saganowski for Ormerod. Same effort, both make their partners look good (strikers, not girlfriends) and both hit and miss in front of goal. Saga however scored some quality goals in his first 6 months and I reckon WGS would have got the best out of him.

Anders may have saved his best for the NT, but I'd still have him over Lallana TBH.

I, for one, would far prefer to follow and (literally) support these admirable young men over the likes of (fuct off when we needed him) Oakley, (donkey) Delap, Higgingwhatthing, (sulker) Fernandes and some of the others previously mentioned. True that currently some of these teenagers would not be a better choice than seasoned journeymen pros but in the future/long run they be a lot better/a lot better option.

We are in a lowly position, however we should really be able to relate to and support these excellent young men!!

Woah! Oakley didn't f*ck off when we needed him. He was offered a one year contract and turned it down because it wasn't long enough. That's fair enough IMO.

I also cannot believe you couldn't find a place for Higgy in this team. First team Prem regular or Ollie (good prospect, but not ready yet) Lancashire.

Cork - for Oakley

Lallana - for Svensson

Surman - for Marsden

so..basically you would substitue half of the team that got us top 8 premiership, cup final and europe for half of the relegation to league 1 threatened CCC team?

why are we so bad then?

Cork - for Oakley

Lallana - for Svensson

Surman - for Marsden

Most laughable post in ages.....:D:D

Put it in golden posts just for the humour value.

Anyone who thinks our youngsters are currently better than any player who got to the cup final is on another planet. A few would get into the squad but there's no way they would be starting.

We where a very strong, fit, athletic, experienced, well balanced and technically gifted team. Now we're a bunch of in-experienced players who are struggling to get to grips with the physical nature of the league and the amount of games we need to play, we are playing some good football but it's not anywhere near as effective as under WGS.

Saying Saga, Skacel, Lallana, Schneiderlin etc would get into the first team ahead of players who did a very good job for us at the highest level is disrespectful imo.