Sky broadband and Sky + problems

Monk

A few months ago we rearranged our living room moving our TV, phone and broadband to different area's. Since then we have had a few problems.

1 - If we recieve or make a call on the ladline, our broadband cuts out on laptops.

2 - We can use our Sky + feature's such as recording, BBC iplayer etc but when we try to order films from Sky store, it wont allow us to download "Ensure that an operating telephone line is connected"

A few months ago we rearranged our living room moving our TV, phone and broadband to different area's. Since then we have had a few problems.

1 - If we recieve or make a call on the ladline, our broadband cuts out on laptops.

2 - We can use our Sky + feature's such as recording, BBC iplayer etc but when we try to order films from Sky store, it wont allow us to download "Ensure that an operating telephone line is connected"

Sounds like your ADSL filter. It should be the first thing on your phone line where it enters you house.

My landline is plugged into one socket, whilst my broadband is plugged into a separate telephone socket at the other end of the room.

What can I do, is it worth calling a sky engineer out about?

I upgraded to BT Infinity with a new BT hub. Engineer did it all for me and I found out yesterday that I had the same Sky message. Went to my connection and found the filter not connected.

That is definitely your problem. You should have a white filter with a wire that Sky put in. that filter fits into your telephone socket on the wall and your telephone is plugged into the filter

You must have been using it before!

My landline is plugged into one socket, whilst my broadband is plugged into a separate telephone socket at the other end of the room.

What can I do, is it worth calling a sky engineer out about?

There should be a master socket where the phone line enters the house. The ADSL filter plugs straight into that. The telephone extension cable goes into one socket and the modem into the other. They will be marked.

Cheers gents, all sorted, being a bloke, I just presumed I had everything connected up, realising that wasn’t the case. The extra filter also helped.

Had to tell the girlfriend some cock and ball story to avoid looking incapable.

Just waiting for the sky fiber to be connected, was suprised to find out we had it in Grange Park in Hedge End as internet connection is really bad down there. Got a deal as I have sports chanels free for 6 months + free installation, they have to come to the house to change some bits and £20 after that. In real terms for the first year an increase of £2.50 per month for hopefully a shed load of speed more.

How do you go about finding out if you have it in the area you live?

as said, phone them up and they will check your post code.

seems sky are offering deals to fight back with BT.

I have BT inifinity as get free BT sports HD on sky and online

now sky are offering money off to negate that if you get sky fibre.

have no idea of the difference between BT and SKY but my BT Inifinity is pretty good.

get speeds UP TO 38mb usually get around 33-35mb and peak times, around 25-28mb

as said, phone them up and they will check your post code.

seems sky are offering deals to fight back with BT.

I have BT inifinity as get free BT sports HD on sky and online

now sky are offering money off to negate that if you get sky fibre.

have no idea of the difference between BT and SKY but my BT Inifinity is pretty good.

get speeds UP TO 38mb usually get around 33-35mb and peak times, around 25-28mb

What speeds were you getting before you went onto infinity.

Ok thanks. That's not what the Virgin Media fellas told me but what do they know, they're only installers.

Traditional ADSL was as you said, copper all the way back to the exchange. The further you were away, the slower the speeds.

The rollout to FTTC has been picking up in the last few years, it basically leaves the ''last hop'' as copper (i.e from the green cabinet to your house). But everything from the exchange to the green cabinet is fibre.

Virgin also try to sell the fact that they're ''complete fibre'' - but that's not necessarily true. They're kind of the same, fibre to the green boxes and instead of copper it's coaxial cable from their green box to your front door.

BT are starting to offer a fibre multicast service, which is basically fibre all the way to your front door. Only problem with that is it costs between 600-1500 to install (depending on your distance from the green box), and then there is a flat £500 install charge. Slightly out of reach for the majority of the country at the mo!

I've had the Virgin for over a year now and the speeds are much better than the previous ADSL Plusnet. I've just had my front drive relaid with block paving and I've still got to re-bury the Virgin cable. It's actually two cables siamesed together, one about 10mm for the coax and another about 4mm for the telephone. The total length to the green cabinet is over 100 metres. I've got three TiVo boxes hanging off it plus the WAP/modem and it works well. The download speeds are limited by the receiving device rather than their network, the iPhone being the slowest at over 30mbs. I have the full package and my only complaint is the cost, especially now that we've lost ESPN Premier League matches.

Im with BT also about 100m from the green box and get about 75mb down 10mb up at quiet times and about 60 and 9 at busy times.

I get the same results as you, very happy with this :). Only small complaint is I needed to upgrade my BT Vision box to a BT Vision plus box before I could receive the BT Sport deal.

Sky fibre is BT Infinity in a different package.

Edited by OVER THE HILL

• 2 weeks later...