Zoopla end Sponsorship of WBA over Anelka gesture

KelvinsRightGlove

Crikey, this has all gotten out of hand. Hasn't it?

Pretty silly of Anelka in the first place really, sure he wouldn't have envisaged all this, but surely he has been around enough to know there would be something to come of it.

Can't imagine his employers are all too happy about this mess now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25810659

He is a massive tit, ok, he is a good player but he invites controversy where ever he goes.

If I was WBA Id have forced him to make an apology straight away

I'd have fined/suspended him if I'm honest. Utterly stupid thing to do.

Agree the club have handled this poorly.

No way in hell a club can be happy about one of their players wading into a political row like this, especially when taking that side.

It's worth bearing in mind that Zoopla's sponsorship deal with West Brom expires at the end of this season anyway. The sponsorship (especially at £3m a year) probably hasn't brought the tangible returns Zoopla were hoping for so I suspect they wouldn't have renewed in the summer regardless of the Anelka situation, and they've even managed to get themselves some lovely positive PR and publicity out of the situation as well. That's not to say they weren't within their rights to complain - of course they were, although the "demand" that Anelka be dropped was perhaps taking it a little bit too far.

It's worth bearing in mind that Zoopla's sponsorship deal with West Brom expires at the end of this season anyway. The sponsorship (especially at £3m a year) probably hasn't brought the tangible returns Zoopla were hoping for so I suspect they wouldn't have renewed in the summer regardless of the Anelka situation, and they've even managed to get themselves some lovely positive PR and publicity out of the situation as well. That's not to say they weren't within their rights to complain - of course they were, although the "demand" that Anelka be dropped was perhaps taking it a little bit too far.

True, all good points.

Hard to speculate whether they would have or not, but I agree it certainly gives them a decent out where they can make themselves look good.

Agree about demanding he was dropped, though I think they should have asked questions about WBAs apparent total lack of action whatsoever.

Could there be a 'gross misconduct' clause in the contract that could be invoked? Allow something that would Zoopla to get out earlier.

Could there be a 'gross misconduct' clause in the contract that could be invoked? Allow something that would Zoopla to get out earlier.

I doubt it serves their interests - they've probably already handed over this season's cash, so they might as well get the last few months' exposure for that money.

Allows them to get out early + save £ + create more publicity for themselves + take the moral high ground

I would have advised them to do just what they’ve done.

Allows them to get out early + save £ + create more publicity for themselves + take the moral high ground

I would have advised them to do just what they’ve done.

No it doesn't. They are seeing out their 3 year contract and then not renewing.

that'll learn lukaku for giving honest + sensible opinion. Fucking nazi.

I read a reader review on Amazon about a book that the reviewer considered anti-semitic. He said he was going to buy a copy so he could pulp it.

Anelka is also under investigation by the Belgian authorities over some sort of fiscal misdemeanours concerning screen companies he set up with his wife (who is Belgian apparently). Trouble follows him everywhere he goes, probably not all his fault though, he's been surrounded by some doubtful people at times and I don't think he's any too bright.

Anelka is also under investigation by the Belgian authorities over some sort of fiscal misdemeanours concerning screen companies he set up with his wife (who is Belgian apparently). Trouble follows him everywhere he goes, probably not all his fault though, he's been surrounded by some doubtful people at times and I don't think he's any too bright.

Seem to remember his agent being his brother at one point, or am I mistaken?

Seem to remember his agent being his brother at one point, or am I mistaken?

No, I think that's still the case but it's not just on the football front that he has some iffy associates. Anyway Claude has had a couple of dabbles into club management as well, in fact his experience at Raith Rovers and St Louis might lead one to think of him as the Ali Dia of football management. Mind you he did give Raith 300K£ to let him be manager.

Edited by Window Cleaner

• 2 weeks later...

Dieudonne has now been banned from the UK.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/anelka-friend-and-quenelle-funnyman-banned-from-uk-621613.html

Getting beyond ridiculous. Mate of mine explained this gesture to me. Apparently, it's about how far you are prepared to ram your arm up the member of the establishments arse. Don't think that'll sell as many papers though.