Jonno Quick

Saint Charlie

Is he actually our most bizarre permanent signing ever?

Clearly a woeful player. Lacks any kind of self confidence judging by his interviews when he joined and seemed scared of the interviewer.

S****horpe happy to let him go and we offered him a 3 year deal when we didnt even need him at the time and were very likely to be promoted.

Probably only started about 3 league games for us and was clearly out of his depth.

Know from someone at Eastleigh that he was offered to them on loan this week with us paying all his wages and they said no as they would rather start Jai Reason and Forte would be a sub so it wasn't worth it.

I know other players have signed and not worked out but at least you can see in theory why we signed them.

Most player have at least ONE good season before failing to make the grade and /or disappearing into obscurity.

I've seen it happen in many clubs (not just Saints) over several decades, you might call it the " shooting star phenomena ".. M.O.M one week, but not even on the bench next month.

There are people on this site who continually remind us that Jonno's two goal sub. appearance v MK Dons (was it ?) .... in our L1 days was fundamental in our promotion that season.....well maybe?

He was the man of the moment, but it was just that ....that moment.

Those of us with longer memories can recall names like ;Tony Funnell and Micky Evans who DAJFU on a couple of IMPORTANT occasions ...but very soon found their real level.

I'm sure that Nigel Adkins recalls him DAJF " Scunny " .at the level they were then but (like MP's purchase of Osvaldo) ..he's hardly likely to brag about it too much in the media.

.....it's obviously tough on anyone who's played league football (at any level) to go without games .....and/or a club for any length of time, and the queue at the Job Centre can be long.

I hope for his sake that he can find a club where he can excel whilst he has the chance.

If he saves his money till the end of his contract time (whenever that is) it might be a cushion for him when the reality of life in the football world really hits home.

Is he actually our most bizarre permanent signing ever?

Clearly a woeful player. Lacks any kind of self confidence judging by his interviews when he joined and seemed scared of the interviewer.

S****horpe happy to let him go and we offered him a 3 year deal when we didnt even need him at the time and were very likely to be promoted.

Probably only started about 3 league games for us and was clearly out of his depth.

Know from someone at Eastleigh that he was offered to them on loan this week with us paying all his wages and they said no as they would rather start Jai Reason and Forte would be a sub so it wasn't worth it.

I know other players have signed and not worked out but at least you can see in theory why we signed them.

to quote Nigel when we signed Jono

"He's willing, he's got a great attitude and I think he'll fit in excellently," Saints boss Adkins told the official club website.

"He's got a good physical presence about himself and we're delighted that he can come and join us."

We signed him because the manager at the time knew him and thought he was worth a punt just the same as Osvaldo and Poch. Plus the Eastleigh thing sounds rubbish Fotre is an international striker who has played way above Eastleigh's level all his career he may not be great compared to our current players but he would be a massive step up for a club like Eastleigh.

Those goals against MK Dons made him worth it.

Ditto. As John B later says, crucial goals.

Several higher profile, and more expensive signings have contributed significantly less in their time with us, Dixon, Speedie, Mark Hughes, immediately spring to mind. Then there is Agustin Delgado ? Pound for pound Forte might represent better value at the moment than one Pablo Osvaldo.

Dixon & Speedie in particular , must be nearly the worst bits of business the club has ever done, whose contribution to the success of Saints amounts to the square root of f^ck all

Don't even get me started on Lee Todd, Kleber Chala, Bleidilis, etc.

Plus Ali Dia, and the perpetual waster that was Tommy Forecast.

• 8 years later...
On 01/02/2014 at 11:25, Badger said:

Ditto. As John B later says, crucial goals.

Several higher profile, and more expensive signings have contributed significantly less in their time with us, Dixon, Speedie, Mark Hughes, immediately spring to mind. Then there is Agustin Delgado ? Pound for pound Forte might represent better value at the moment than one Pablo Osvaldo.

Dixon & Speedie in particular , must be nearly the worst bits of business the club has ever done, whose contribution to the success of Saints amounts to the square root of f^ck all

Don't even get me started on Lee Todd, Kleber Chala, Bleidilis, etc.

Plus Ali Dia, and the perpetual waster that was Tommy Forecast.

Christ I wrote that in 2014. Think you can also add Carillo to the list that Johnno Quick eclipsed with his contribution in his few minutes of fame. 

Edited by Badger