Missing Key Players

Legod Third Coming

Holmes is a massive player to miss for a long period, he's not an amazing outstanding player but he's our only real winger and he gave us an outlet for the whole game. Without him we don't have anyone who can do that and we must have tried 10~ different players on the wings since he left.

Schneiderlin is a big player as well, hard to ask an 18 year old to play every game though and even worse to rush him back from a hamstring injury, once he's fully fit he's a class player. He's been key in all our best performances.

Gillett looked good because he was playing with Schneiderlin IMO, not a bad player but his injury certainly isn't the reason we're playing poorly.

Good post.

I'm a big fan of Cork and Surman in the middle but there is a lot to be said of Gillett's workrate when we haven't got the ball. Defensively he offers a decent shield in front of the back four and I believe that has been overlooked by JP. Gillett is by no means a top player or in the same class as Schneiderlin, Cork and Surman in possession, but I think we have missed him and the unseen dirty work he performs.

We play two wingers yet other than Holmes we don't have a winger in the squad. If we are to persit with three up top then he needs to get fit quick.

Schneiderlin's long balls have been the biggest miss. Not missed his lack of tackling though.

Holmes is a miss he provided a real threat in wide area's I think Spiderman is top class we always look a better side when he is fit and plays when he is fit I think we should try James wide right Cork at right back Spiderman and Surman in midfield James looks decent going forward but makes to many mistakes when playing at the back but it will be good to see holmes fit and playing again

I liked the look of Cork in midfield against Palace last week, he was the only one that seemed quality, but with our defence in the state it is, I would rather see him back in defence permanently.

Spiderman, Surman and Wotton should be vying for the two defensive midfield spots IMO.

I had a look on-line to see what's different between the team that beat Derby and Birmingham and outplayed the latter for long periods, and now.

The teams for those games were all different, but Svensson played two and Holmes, Gillett and Spiderman all three.

Maybe they are a bigger miss than we realise??

Nail. Head.

I'm a bit worried there might be some 'Lee Holmes the Legend' thinking here that comes about when a player is injured for a few months.

He did start the season brightly, very brightly, and i think on those performances he has been very missed.

I just don't think we should be pinning our hopes on him returning though in the same form. This is a man that was let go by Derby and not pulled up any trees in his career to date.

Fingers crossed he picks up where he left off but i've a few doubts. As ever when i'm negative, i hope i'm wrong cos he did start the season well.

I liked the look of Cork in midfield against Palace last week, he was the only one that seemed quality, but with our defence in the state it is, I would rather see him back in defence permanently.

Spiderman, Surman and Wotton should be vying for the two defensive midfield spots IMO.

In the Burnely commentary the two lads on 5LX were saying that Cork is a midfielder and they were really surprised to see him in defence. Altho I have to say I think he's been outstanding wherever he's played and looks equally comfortable to me at CB, RB or CM. Would make a brilliant sweeper.

Holmes is a miss he provided a real threat in wide area's I think Spiderman is top class we always look a better side when he is fit and plays when he is fit I think we should try James wide right Cork at right back Spiderman and Surman in midfield James looks decent going forward but makes to many mistakes when playing at the back but it will be good to see holmes fit and playing again

I agree, our main problem...sorry re-phrase....one of our main problems has been lack of shape through not having wide players who stay wide!

With the return of Holmes that should improve, I would also like to see LJ play wide right as I think he is the best crosser of the ball we have IMO

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/articles/article.php?page_id=11102

Quote from Poortvliet in the above article:

"But Lee Holmes is definitely back, and if Ryan is not ready for Saturday then he certainly should be for next Friday, when we visit Plymouth.

When they are both back you can really play in a 4-3-3 system with the wingers and when you do this and all the boys are there then you also have a bench with players who can make a difference."

Erm....so why (oh why) have we been sticking to a 4-3-3 system in their absence if Jan is saying 4-3-3 only really works when both his out and out wingers are fit (i.e. Holmes and Smith)?

Either this is another 'lost-in-translation' quirky quote from Jan or he doesn't know what he's doing.....

You decide.

Our defensive record with Cork playing CB is woeful! James is still a liability in terms of defending at RB, although he has improved massively in terms of getting forward. Personally I would play Cork at RB with a view to switching him to CM if necessary later in the game, only thing is we lose any attacking threat posed by James.