Sailing

Dr Who?

Does anyone on her sail?

I have just started at a company 3 weeks ago that kit out all the yachts (sunseeker, princess and oyster to name a few) and I am quite interested in getting myself and my wife and kids involved in sailing.

Just be interested if any of you lot sail at all.

I've had a couple of sailing cruisers, a Westerly Warwick and a Hunter 232 which I built from a kit and I did quite well in the around the Island race in 1995 but my wife was never interested in anything more than a couple of hours in a flat calm on a sunny day so once the kids had left home I swallowed the anchor. I've still got my Mirror dinghy which I built in 1974 and which gave me a lot of fun in Christchurch harbour and took me over to the Isle of Wight a couple of times but it's hanging up in the roof of the garage. I'm hoping that the grandchildren will take up an interest one day.

Happy to help in any way I can - have been involved in most aspects of the industry in my working life - was it starting from scratch as a family you were looking at? I sail for pleasure (as opposed to competitions ..that was earlier in life!) these days and I can point you to a few ways to get going dependent on your budget.

Pm me if it's easier? It's a great sport/pastime dependent on how strenuously or leisurely you want to take it.

Most of our Custer base are on the south coast, but I have never had an interest until now. Would not know what to do with a project boat and do not really have the money to buy a boat, so it would be a sailing club.

Just trying to get something all the family can do.

Happy to help in any way I can - have been involved in most aspects of the industry in my working life - was it starting from scratch as a family you were looking at? I sail for pleasure (as opposed to competitions ..that was earlier in life!) these days and I can point you to a few ways to get going dependent on your budget.

Pm me if it's easier? It's a great sport/pastime dependent on how strenuously or leisurely you want to take it.

That is the problem, at the moment it is very little disposable income or knowledge. Everyone at my work sail and it would be good to get involved as it is my job to know what my customers are talking about.

At the moment me, my wife and 12 year old are looking to have a taster session at gratham water for £60. I can get all the kit from work as they get wholesale discount from all the big brands, ronstan, oceansir and vimar, to name a few.

I am quite interested in power boating on my own, but sailing with the family.

That is the problem, at the moment it is very little disposable income or knowledge. Everyone at my work sail and it would be good to get involved as it is my job to know what my customers are talking about.

At the moment me, my wife and 12 year old are looking to have a taster session at gratham water for £60. I can get all the kit from work as they get wholesale discount from all the big brands, ronstan, oceansir and vimar, to name a few.

I was going to suggest Grafham as being a good option and not far away...Pitsford is also not far and almost certainly their clubs will run taster and starter courses to see if curiosity turns in to real interest. Over the years I've run sailing schools (sailing and windsurfing) and it's not everybody that gets hooked instantly.

It's certainly, in my opinion, not worth spending too much until your family are reasonably sure it's worth pursuing. There's plenty of sailing that goes on not far from you...it's good advice to ask around, many dinghy sailors don't have regular crews for work or family reasons and a willing novice can be a real asset and for the novice it's free experience. Maybe the sailing fraternity where you work also?

Not sure how you're fixed on family holidays but there're some superb schools in warm water locations with whatever level you wish catered for..equally there are equivalents in colder water in the UK. As before..happy to point you toward good advice.

Another word of caution ...My little yacht is currently wasted as my work is all consuming...this is a danger in that it doesn't stop costing marina fees, insurance etc. I've got another on a trailer awaiting time to finish it off...you need time! :-) Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Where do you live Doctor ?

Been sailing all my life mostly racing. Loads of local clubs run great courses for very little money and certainly my club offer a cheap first years subs if you take part in a course.... Anything from beginner to learn to race.....

Very family orientated but you can get serious too if you want to...

I mostly sail dinghies by the way.

Edited by captainchris

£60 will get you a lot more than a taster session at a club round here. I think Grafham is one of those clubs run as a profit making company. Have raced there several times and it's run in a different basis to member run clubs I think I am right in saying....