The weekend riding thread.

View From The Top

The lads that are doing it will big ring everything. 11/28 on the back and pro-compact, 52/34, on the front. Phil, however, said he'll keep his standard rings on!

They'll nag me all next week but there is no way I can do that much climbing combined with the distance. It's 120km further than I've ridden and 3000m more than I've climbed.

I took a look at the route today, looks really brutal. Would appreciate a link to a strava ride once its done if you dont mind.

Recently have had an extension built so bike which always lived in the house had to go in the shed. I bet you can guess what's coming. A month or so ago the shed was broken into and bike nicked (thieving little bastards). First thought was the golf clubs but surprisingly they were still there.

Anyone had any experience of the entry level carbon framed bikes from Ribble/Planet X?

Planet X Pro Carbon review here. http://www.theguardian.com/technology/bike-blog/2014/jul/06/planet-x-pro-carbon-bike-review

Video review here.

Hope this helps. Have used Planet X often with no problems, not for bikes, but their service is very good. Ribble much less so.

Threw myself in at the deep end today and went out with this club ride. Previous longest ride was around 50k, did 105k today. Myself and 7 others set off into the Forest for a couple of hours of no drop 'easy miles' (for them, not for me) doing lots of through and off which was new to me. Then stopped at the top of Bramshaw hill for this Sotonia CC ride to catch up. I couldn't believe how quick that group was, I got dropped within a mile, met back up with some guys who weren't going to keep pace with them and we took a shorter route to the regrouping point in Beaulieu. I was completely out of my depth with most of the guys who were out but hung on at the back for the ride back into Southampton then home to Sholing.

I was the slowest guy out there but I've got less than 300 miles under my belt since buying the bike. Lots to learn and loads of room for improvement, the guys I was out with were encouraging and didn't seem to mind having to carry me a bit at times.

Threw myself in at the deep end today and went out with this club ride. Previous longest ride was around 50k, did 105k today. Myself and 7 others set off into the Forest for a couple of hours of no drop 'easy miles' (for them, not for me) doing lots of through and off which was new to me. Then stopped at the top of Bramshaw hill for this Sotonia CC ride to catch up. I couldn't believe how quick that group was, I got dropped within a mile, met back up with some guys who weren't going to keep pace with them and we took a shorter route to the regrouping point in Beaulieu. I was completely out of my depth with most of the guys who were out but hung on at the back for the ride back into Southampton then home to Sholing.

I was the slowest guy out there but I've got less than 300 miles under my belt since buying the bike. Lots to learn and loads of room for improvement, the guys I was out with were encouraging and didn't seem to mind having to carry me a bit at times.

Well done Jack, the distance is a huge step up.

I went t on my first ride this morning -

http://app.strava.com/activities/334490667

I bought a Btwin 500SE to start training for triathlons. Pleased with how it went, stopped a couple of times to make adjustments and the bike felt much better on the way home. I noticed that being on the drop bars (?) seems to gain an extra gear, any other tips for a total noob?

I'm a long way from what some of you guys achieve but I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to going out again!

I was out this morning, suffered a lot for me. Longest ride in distance and time on bike though. Last 30k were maybe the slowest I have ever rode, probably set the bar a little high for today.

http://www.strava.com/activities/333989990

Good mileage even if it was hard going!

100 miler for me, just because. One of the three really struggled though which slowed us right down at times. I recommend checking out the photo and the comments.

https://www.strava.com/activities/334039508

Sounds eventful.

Out again with this club ride yesterday morning out in the forest in the sun. 12 of us headed out from Chilworth and there must have been another 15 or so on the Soton tri club ride that we met with after a couple of hours. A few of us took the shorter route back to Bealieu because the pace is too quick for some of us on the Tri ride. Starting to see improvement now. https://www.strava.com/activities/333917643

Pilates or cycling specific yoga will sort you out a treat and really works on the core strength issue as well.

Cheers, going to go back to pilates as enjoyed that more than yoga.

Re the wheels, would have done that but its also my commuting bike and I'm 17.5st - not a great combination for lightweight wheels, even on 25s. May get a set for sportives with a closer ratio cassette (currently running 11-32)

I bought a Btwin 500SE to start training for triathlons. Pleased with how it went, stopped a couple of times to make adjustments and the bike felt much better on the way home. I noticed that being on the drop bars (?) seems to gain an extra gear, any other tips for a total noob?

I'm a long way from what some of you guys achieve but I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to going out again!

Most important thing is you enjoyed it. Riding on the drops at the speed you were averaging isn't likely to be lower drag so it may be a positional thing. Even minor adjustments can make a surprising difference to your times. Remember moving my saddle up by less than a cm and ending up consistently 5% faster on my usual rides.

Nice one. I'm having it on my new bike I'm getting when I get my early retirement at the end of August. Enjoy!

Its bloody awesome! The way it lets you maintain cadence is a huge performance improvement, and its quite insane being able to do a full power front shift at the bottom of a climb. So easy to change gear with absolutely zero effort. Trick stuff like simultaneously shifting front and rear rings and dumping the entire cassette with a long button press puts a smile on your face but not sure of the usefulness of those.

Quite chuffed that with the help of t'internet I managed to set it all up myself & do a complete groupset swap (2300 to 105 chainset & Di2 mechs) with no prior bike spannering experience.

I do more climbing than that in the 1st 5km of leaving my house!

Sounds eventful.

Out again with this club ride yesterday morning out in the forest in the sun. 12 of us headed out from Chilworth and there must have been another 15 or so on the Soton tri club ride that we met with after a couple of hours. A few of us took the shorter route back to Bealieu because the pace is too quick for some of us on the Tri ride. Starting to see improvement now. https://www.strava.com/activities/333917643

You should ride with the hardest group available. You'll work harder and improve quicker. Won't hurt to do that once a week (I lied, it will hurt).

Our Saturday club rides are pedestrian but the Wednesday or Thursday rides are brutal and are prison rules. Not uncommon for it to be cranked up to 30mph-35mph on a certain loop and kept at that for miles. The hilly routes still average around 22mph and they may included 5000ft of climbing.

The extra 60miles we did after our Saturday club ride would usually average around 20mph-22mph but my oppo was seriously suffering when myself and my other oppo upped the pace, plus he can't climb so her had to reign it in a bit.

My highlight though was winning the race back to the townsign on the club ride. Our ride always becomes a free for all race with about 8-5km from home and yesterday myself (49) & the 35yo owner of the shop the club is based, rode everyone else off our wheels with 1km to go. I sat in his wheel and when he jumped I clicked straight down the block, went into the red and beat him by a rim. I hit 58kmph in the sprint and by heartrate hit 181bpm. He was gutted, I was chuffed.

Edited by View From The Top

You should ride with the hardest group available. You'll work harder and improve quicker. Won't hurt to do that once a week (I lied, it will hurt).

Our Saturday club rides are pedestrian but the Wednesday or Thursday rides are brutal and are prison rules. Not uncommon for it to be cranked up to 30mph-35mph on a certain loop and kept at that for miles. The hilly routes still average around 22mph and they may included 5000ft of climbing.

The extra 60miles we did after our Saturday club ride would usually average around 20mph-22mph but my oppo was seriously suffering when myself and my other oppo upped the pace, plus he can't climb so her had to reign it in a bit.

My highlight though was winning the race back to the townsign on the club ride. Our ride always becomes a free for all race with about 8-5km from home and yesterday myself (49) & the 35yo owner of the shop the club is based, rode everyone else off our wheels with 1km to go. I sat in his wheel and when he jumped I clicked straight down the block, went into the red and beat him by a rim. I hit 58kmph in the sprint and by heartrate hit 181bpm. He was gutted, I was chuffed.

The Tri ride that goes through is a drop ride, and so out of my league. I've got less than 350 miles under my belt and I've never even cycled the distance for the full route. I tried to hang on the back last weekend but got dropped within a couple of mins, the full route is about 80 minutes for the quickest guys.

For me doing the shorter route is still a big ask as I'd never done over 50k until last week and these are 100k+ rides. I definitely need more miles and to be considerably faster to even think about trying to hang on for the full lap. There are plenty of quick guys who get dropped on the full circuit, guys who race regularly. A newbie hasn't got a chance

The Tri ride that goes through is a drop ride, and so out of my league. I've got less than 350 miles under my belt and I've never even cycled the distance for the full route. I tried to hang on the back last weekend but got dropped within a couple of mins, the full route is about 80 minutes for the quickest guys.

For me doing the shorter route is still a big ask as I'd never done over 50k until last week and these are 100k+ rides. I definitely need more miles and to be considerably faster to even think about trying to hang on for the full lap. There are plenty of quick guys who get dropped on the full circuit, guys who race regularly. A newbie hasn't got a chance

Fair enough. Have you thought about doing threshold interval training once or twice a week? That would rapidly improve your performance.

Fair enough. Have you thought about doing threshold interval training once or twice a week? That would rapidly improve your performance.

Yeah I'll definitely be doing that, there are club rides most nights and plenty of speedwork options. I need to get a bike fit done first I think, knee is a bit sore from Saturday and I'm not sure I've got it set up right.

I'm a runner so know all about LT training, and the zones I need to be in for Vo2 max improvement etc, just trying to get some good base mileage under my belt before I go too nuts. I'm still trying to get rid of some tendinitis in my knee as well. Cycling doesn't seem to aggravate it much but I'm wary of it anyway.

first ride on the bike since a big fall 3 weeks ago and suffering a Grade II shoulder separation. Only 8-10 miles but glad it wasn't longer as shoulder is not right yet - never knew shoulder injuries could be so painful.

3 Century rides coming up starting AUgust so hope to be ready for them - did not realize how much I missed being on the bike.

Yeah I'll definitely be doing that, there are club rides most nights and plenty of speedwork options. I need to get a bike fit done first I think, knee is a bit sore from Saturday and I'm not sure I've got it set up right.

I'm a runner so know all about LT training, and the zones I need to be in for Vo2 max improvement etc, just trying to get some good base mileage under my belt before I go too nuts. I'm still trying to get rid of some tendinitis in my knee as well. Cycling doesn't seem to aggravate it much but I'm wary of it anyway.

Cycling is a funny sport. I ride with some lads who when they put the power on can ride me off the wheel but can't live with me or my usual partners on anything over 75km. Friend of mine, a Cat 2 racer, is a machine on anything up to about 60km but is pathetic after that and yet another is crap on the short stuff but an absolute monster on anything long and uphill.

We are racing on Sunday and 2 of us, the diesel engines, have been allocated the task of staying in the break from the off. It's going to be painful.

Edited by View From The Top

first ride on the bike since a big fall 3 weeks ago and suffering a Grade II shoulder separation. Only 8-10 miles but glad it wasn't longer as shoulder is not right yet - never knew shoulder injuries could be so painful.

3 Century rides coming up starting AUgust so hope to be ready for them - did not realize how much I missed being on the bike.

I feel your pain. Cracked my collar bone going over on ice late winter, that was bad enough.

Cycling is a funny sport. I ride with some lads who when they put the power on can ride me off the wheel but can't live with me or my usual partners on anything over 75km. Friend of mine, a Cat 2 racer, is a machine on anything up to about 60km but is pathetic after that and yet another is crap on the short stuff but an absolute monster on anything long and uphill.

We are racing on Sunday and 2 of us, the diesel engines, have been allocated the task of staying in the break from the off. It's going to be painful.

I'm much better at the longer stuff with running, 10 mile up to marathon distance. Will be interesting to see if it's the same with cycling.

I am becoming a cyclist, I think. I was coming up a local climb, in the red already when a post van turned out of a driveway about 30 meters up the road to come down the lane. Only single track so I had to pull to the side and lost momentum in the verge. He was 100% within his driving rights to pull out then as I was not coming up at any speed at all but by god I was ******ed off with him. Other than that lovely evening for a ride.

I noticed that being on the drop bars (?) seems to gain an extra gear, any other tips for a total noob?

Just call them the drops is fine. Well done on getting out, the improvements come quickly and thoroughly enjoyably. I would bloody love to find 40k with only 160 meters of climbing around near me. :)

Strava is a really good tool for seeing the improvements you are making. Also the challenges each month really can be a motivator to get out on the bike if you need one. Or join the Saints fans club https://app.strava.com/clubs/45350 and try to beat Loo Loo each week.

Edited by Red Alert

Just call them the drops is fine. Well done on getting out, the improvements come quickly and thoroughly enjoyably. I would bloody love to find 40k with only 160 meters of climbing around near me. :)

I don't think it's possible anywhere near us is it? I did the flattest route I know today for a 50km recovery ride and it was still over 400m.

In pancake flat Essex I get 120m climb on my "hilly" 30 road ride :)

Edited by Pancake

I see a couple of you have joined the TdF challenge on Strava. 1680km in 21 days is a big target. I could do it if i ride into work and home everyday and did the same at the weekends. Not sure i am up for that to be honest. Though would smash the climbing challenge in the first two days.

I see a couple of you have joined the TdF challenge on Strava. 1680km in 21 days is a big target. I could do it if i ride into work and home everyday and did the same at the weekends. Not sure i am up for that to be honest. Though would smash the climbing challenge in the first two days.

I've no chance but will have a pop regardless. The climbing one is just a single ride really.

I've no chance but will have a pop regardless. The climbing one is just a single ride really.

The climbing is more than i have done in a day. I work 15 minutes from the stretton hills though. With plenty of little ramps around the long mynd i might just go and get myself lost around there one afternoon.

The climbing is more than i have done in a day. I work 15 minutes from the stretton hills though. With plenty of little ramps around the long mynd i might just go and get myself lost around there one afternoon.

Do the Portway & the Burway. You'll pray for death :D

I've a good GPX of the Nova Raiders (Newport) 66miler going out that way if you want it. It's their sportive route, it's a goodun.

Do the Portway & the Burway. You'll pray for death :D

I've a good GPX of the Nova Raiders (Newport) 66miler going out that way if you want it. It's their sportive route, it's a goodun.

I did this ride a little while back http://www.strava.com/segments/5502340 - The Long Mynd climb and the Burway having never seen either of them before let alone climbed them. I was a total wreck at the top of the Burway. There was a group of mountain bikers walking their bikes up, they were the rabbits on the horizon that kept me going.

Edited by Red Alert

Big off today in a race, lost the back wheel on a 90 degree right hander on the last lap chasing down the break, which I'd just that second caught. Went down doing north of 40kmph ar_se 1st into the kerb. Thought I'd broken my pelvis but thankfully not. Some cracking road rash though!

Rear wheel will need sorting but frame etc seem ok.

First big off in three years riding, collided with oncoming cyclist (who was on my side of road on blind bend) and then parked car. According to Strava doing about 15mph at the time. Fortunately bike seems fine (downside of Ultegra Di2 is that you're looking at £125 for a shifter and a similar price for a front or rear mech). Impressive bruises and road rash (left calf, left shoulder, head, both elbows) and most spectacularly managed to slice a big flap of skin off my knuckle - perfect half moon cut from front of joint to back. Assume impact with something sharp on bike. Fortunately no ligament or nerve damage, just seven stitches and a week off the bike.

The older you get, the more it seems to hurt, was always crashing when I was a kid. Guessing its a function of momentum and inertia :)

It's all about enjoyment anyway. I got persuaded into cycling about 10 years ago by some mates who were keen cyclists and started off "training" initially for some charity cycle rides. My first ride got me to the top of the Avenue before i fell off as I was blowing out of my arse so badly! But with encouragement, I was up to about 20 miles in a month and within 4 months I did my first 100 miler. The best thing I found at the time was to get set up properly (riding position) by someone who knows what they are doing and also learning how to breathe efficiently - obvious as it sounds, it was a struggle to start with, but you get into a rhythm and then it's about improvement - well that's what I found anyway.

There are some impressive riding stats on this thread and it's rekindling an interest in me to dust off the old road bike (haven't cycled for about 4 years). A mate has suggested a ride from London to Barcelona as a target for a couple of years time, so may have to get out again and work towards that.

It's all about enjoyment anyway. I got persuaded into cycling about 10 years ago by some mates who were keen cyclists and started off "training" initially for some charity cycle rides. My first ride got me to the top of the Avenue before i fell off as I was blowing out of my arse so badly! But with encouragement, I was up to about 20 miles in a month and within 4 months I did my first 100 miler. The best thing I found at the time was to get set up properly (riding position) by someone who knows what they are doing and also learning how to breathe efficiently - obvious as it sounds, it was a struggle to start with, but you get into a rhythm and then it's about improvement - well that's what I found anyway.

There are some impressive riding stats on this thread and it's rekindling an interest in me to dust off the old road bike (haven't cycled for about 4 years). A mate has suggested a ride from London to Barcelona as a target for a couple of years time, so may have to get out again and work towards that.

Cheers for the comments. London to Barcelona! That's quite a trip, are you going to go for it?

Looks sore, VFTT.

Special K - London to Barca sounds amazing! Go via Andorra for an extra challenge, couple of hills that way I believe...

Spent 2 days off my tits on liquid morphine and cocodamol. Can't believe I didn't break anything bar my rear wheel which is currently being repaired.

I know this is an open question with no firm answer but I would love some thoughts on a wheel set upgrade. Currently have DT Swiss R24 Spline wheels on that came with the bike. Heard loads of different people say wheels are the best thing to get in order to make the bike feel quicker. Been looking at these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-dura-ace-9000-c24-clincher-wheelset/ would this be a big upgrade from what I am running now? I get lost in all this stuff, I went down to the lbs in Shrewsbury but they were not that helpful.

Should say I am looking to make climbing a bit easier if i can, the current set feel flimsy under me when I am out the saddle on the hills.