The weekend riding thread.

View From The Top

Did it! Mount Evans conquered! What an epic, epic ride: the air was as thin as heck and the scenery was incredible. VFTT - I can 100% guarantee it would be exceptionally difficult. On one uphill segment during the descent I hammered it and could not breathe....actually after the first couple of miles and tryign to breathe it was not too bad. Keeping a steady cadence and trying to keep the HR steady was the key: I would even say it was tougher on the descent with the state of the road, constant riding of brakes and massive winds trying to blow me off the edge!

Absolutely epic and chuffed to bits: Mount Evans is 1000m higher than any other road in Europe and is the 5th highest paved road in the world! If you ever get the opportunity to try it, well worth the pain!

https://www.strava.com/activities/641860464

Did it! Mount Evans conquered! What an epic, epic ride: the air was as thin as heck and the scenery was incredible. VFTT - I can 100% guarantee it would be exceptionally difficult. On one uphill segment during the descent I hammered it and could not breathe....actually after the first couple of miles and tryign to breathe it was not too bad. Keeping a steady cadence and trying to keep the HR steady was the key: I would even say it was tougher on the descent with the state of the road, constant riding of brakes and massive winds trying to blow me off the edge!

Absolutely epic and chuffed to bits: Mount Evans is 1000m higher than any other road in Europe and is the 5th highest paved road in the world! If you ever get the opportunity to try it, well worth the pain!

https://www.strava.com/activities/641860464

Epic, bravo. Was it the thin air that was the issue and not the climb itself?

I did a very gnarly 120miler today in October weather, just a tad warmer. It went something like this; Club ride. Cake. Wind. Rain. Wind. No Rain. Wind. Wind Wind. Cake. Wind. Greg's brake falls off. Wind. Wind. Wind.

https://www.strava.com/activities/642856958

Yep VFTT, it was the thin air. Never experienced anything like it before. The first couple of miles were the worst trying to work out the best breathing method.

Once that was sorted it was then mind over matter - 15 miles up is twice the longest climb I have done before so getting into the right mindset was key. Once that was all sorted I really enjoyed the ride up and the views were incredible. Even managed to reach the top without being short of breath but is was so darn cold I just wanted to get down to warmth! However, there were some hallucinations near the top - thinking rocks were sheep and the like!

One hell of a ride you did - at a helluva pace. getting the rides in while you can?

Yep VFTT, it was the thin air. Never experienced anything like it before. The first couple of miles were the worst trying to work out the best breathing method.

Once that was sorted it was then mind over matter - 15 miles up is twice the longest climb I have done before so getting into the right mindset was key. Once that was all sorted I really enjoyed the ride up and the views were incredible. Even managed to reach the top without being short of breath but is was so darn cold I just wanted to get down to warmth! However, there were some hallucinations near the top - thinking rocks were sheep and the like!

One hell of a ride you did - at a helluva pace. getting the rides in while you can?

Yep. Reckon I've got 2/3 weeks before a forced absence of around 6/8 weeks.

TBF, it was slow for us. :D

For me, climbing, it's the heat that does me, as of course you can only do the mountains in the summer, and my northern European body struggles above "warm".

Going the Vosges Mountains in France late May next year, hopefully not too hot as some proper climbing and drinking of wine to be done!

Yep. Reckon I've got 2/3 weeks before a forced absence of around 6/8 weeks.

TBF, it was slow for us. :D

For me, climbing, it's the heat that does me, as of course you can only do the mountains in the summer, and my northern European body struggles above "warm".

Going the Vosges Mountains in France late May next year, hopefully not too hot as some proper climbing and drinking of wine to be done!

Hope you enjoy the next few weeks and heal well thereafter. From what you've done in the past I reckon you'll be back to going full gas in no time. You'll have to report back fully on the Vosges next year. As ever VFTT, your mileage and efforts are impressive

I'm on a bit of a hiatus at present. Needed a recovery week last week as I seriously underestimated the demands of my job change from having being a senior member of staff in the school to just being a cover supervisor even though I now only work part time. it's not so much a physical fatigue as a mental one, but accumulated fatigue it is. I've got two weeks before a fortnight in Durrell country in Corfu in a couple of weeks time and work finishes as of 12 noon tomorrow. I won't do much on holiday, it's all rather rural, no pool, just the sea. Then it's preparation for the Alps in June.

I know there are those of you out there who have ridden in the Alps and between my myself and my next-door neighbour we are planning next year's trip, so I am looking for a bit of a steer. Most of them have been before and previously stayed in a gite in Huez village but therein lies the problem. To get back to base whichever way you look at it either involves a Cat 1 climb or three-quarters of an HC climb, so we're are looking at alternatives. There are three options. Bourg-d'Oisans itself, Somewhere in the Maurienne Valley, probably St Jean du Maurienne, or in the area of Morzine. It will be a mixed ability party of around 6 or 7, with a couple of Marmotte veteran 'GC contenders' intent on battering themselves up signature climbs, a couple of 'climbing domestiques' and a couple, myself included in the 'Grupetto', so location has to cater for all. All are around the same driving time from Calais and seem to offer enough in the way of accommodation and shops for self catering, which is another determining factor.

Bourg-d'Oisans gives us; the Alpe, Les Deux Alpes, Ornon, Morte, Sarenne, Glandon and a plethora of shorter out and back climbs to places like Vaujany, Oz and via the Ornon to Villard Reymond and Oulles, but with the problems with the D1091 tunnel the Lauteret and Galibier seem still not to be accessible.

St Jean du Maurienne would give us the Telegraphe and Galibier as out and backs and the Madeleine, Col du Chaussy via the Lacets du Montvernier, The Mollard, Croix de Fer, La Toussuire, and the Glandon (Marmotte reverse), but apart from a loop up the Lacets and down via Hermillon it doesn't seem to offer so much for the 'Grupetto'.

Morzine is one we are less sure of. We are not convinced it will offer enough that won't involve driving. Obviously the there is the Joux Plan nearby but the 'GC contenders' seem less sure that there is enough for them there.

Another week, another State, this time Oregon. Hired a lovely bike and although feeling under the weather did a couple of rides.

Did the long slow climb (20+ miles) from Bend to Mt Bachelor. Around 3,000 feet of climbing but actually found it rather boring as it was all within the tree line. Not used to climbing constantly for 10+ miles and this one was tough to keep motivated. Views of the Cascades at the end made the ride worthwhile but Mt Evans is going to take some beating.

Could really live out West - great climate, people and riding opportunities.

If you've followed the thread in 'the lounge' you may know that yesterday I won my employment tribunal and as a result will soon have plenty of pennies burning their little holes in my pockets.

Obviously in these situations the first thing to think about is a shiny new bike, so any recommendations?

Budget would be up to £2k all in [including pedals and probably some new shoes because why the hell not!], although less would be great. I don't need to justify the expense to myself obviously but as far as Mrs WSS is concerned, I worked bloody hard over the last 8 months putting my case together in order to secure the win, so this is my treat - oh as well as a change of car ;)

As far as requirements go, I am open to suggestions. My current 'best bike' is a Mekk Poggio 2.0 with Tiagra 11 speed setup, including hollowtech crankset which I find pretty comfortable to use. However, I've found the gears to be a little hit and miss especially when changing under a bit of load and I'm aware that Tiagra is at the lower end of the Shimano gearing. I would look at Shimano again but would also consider different makers such as sram - I'm not a brand snob and would be happy with whatever works best! If it can be done for the money I would also consider Di2 or equivalent, but don't have a powerpoint in the garage so would need to consider how fiddly it is to remove and charge the battery! Basically, anything goes!

So far, I've had a quick look and come up with these :

£1,400 : http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-gran-fondo/build/

£970 : http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPFOR22TO/planet-x-pro-carbon-sram-force-11-road-bike-tour-edition#

So, any recommendations?

Similarly, if you had the same amount of cash to spend, what would you get?

Just picked up my ride pack for the RideLondon 46. Didn't get a place on the 100 so took the 46 as a "why the hell not, first organised ride" thing. Not looking forward to it at all to be honest, not really out the effort into my riding for a couple of years now.

WSS - I absolutely love my Giant Defy (carbon) which is a pleasure to ride and is built for endurance. Recently I rode a Specialized Roubaix - and this was mustard (carbon with disc brakes and electronic gear shifting). Not sure if UK prices are the same in pounds as we pay in dollars though (suspect they are).

Apparently Giant makes most of the popular brand bikes (which I never knew) including Bianchi, Trek and Specialized (not sure if all models or only certain models).

Just picked up my ride pack for the RideLondon 46. Didn't get a place on the 100 so took the 46 as a "why the hell not, first organised ride" thing. Not looking forward to it at all to be honest, not really out the effort into my riding for a couple of years now.

Well that was amazing, hats off to the guys who do the 100 mile rides, I don't have the legs for that.

nice....were you affected by all the delays? Sounds like a good event: not sure about the 20,000 riders though!!!

No as I was only on the shorter 46 mile ride which cuts out may of the Surrey section. Still closed roads and group ride was new to me, feel in love. Nothing like being in a pack shooting through a town hell for leather.

2hours 12 for the 46 miles. V happy as it was much faster than I've done that distance before. #drafting

• 2 weeks later...

Right, sorted...

The money has cleared in to my bank today - such a nice feeling :) - and I've set about spending some of the pennies!

After a lot of searching and deliberation I have gone for the Ribble Gran Fondo : http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-gran-fondo/ and have used the 'bike builder' function to add lots of shiny extras on to it including Mavic wheels, titanium railed saddle and full Shimano Di2 gearset whilst managing to keep the total under £2k - just, although I've also ordered a Garmin 520, new tyres and mudguards to strap on the 'old' bike which took it over the £2k mark...

Will take around 2 weeks before the bike is ordered which is no big deal as I have my hand operation booked for next Wednesday so won't be able to ride for a couple of weeks anyway! Looking forward to trying out the Di2 system and went for this as hopefully it will reduce the amount of 'fiddling' that I currently do to make sure the gears work properly!

That was a concern having read some early reviews of Di2, especially as my garage does not have any power going to it! However, it seems that the newer version of Di2 where the battery is in the seatpost / tube and therefore more sheltered from the elements gives a much better battery life of around 1500 miles, which is a good couple of months for me. However, I've also ordered a 'battery bank' for about £12.00 from Amazon which holds a charge of 10,000 mAh. Since the Di2 battery is only 500 mAh it should be more than adequate to leave in the garage and charge the Di2 when not in use - it has three USB sockets so will also be handy for charging the Garmin edge at the same time :D

You'll love the Di2 system. A bike I rented in Oregon had this setup and it was bloody fantastic! You can simply keep your finger on the paddle and it automatically changes through the gears without having to take your finger off the paddle.

Nice - proper jealous!

You'll love the Di2 system. A bike I rented in Oregon had this setup and it was bloody fantastic! You can simply keep your finger on the paddle and it automatically changes through the gears without having to take your finger off the paddle.

Nice - proper jealous!

I have it on my Cervelo. It really is very good. As others have said make sure you charge it from time to time, but in reality it doesn't need regular charging. It's not completely foolproof 100% of the time. As I type my bike is in my LBS having the Di2 looked at while I'm sunning myself in Durrell country in NE Corfu. Kalispera!

Most brutal ride I have ever done today. It was not particularly long (48 miles), steep (2.6K of climbing) or fast (16.6 mph) but it was a killer. Temperature got up to 100F (38C) and really humid with a heat index of 110+ (43C).

Riding with the B group they decided to go out at an average pace of around 20mph+ (faster than the A group) and then 20 miles in most blew up and bailed.

Truly not a pleasant experience today and am not in a hurry to repeat that!

Not a fan of electronic shifting myself but then I'm old school Campag. :smug: Couple of mates have had issues which have left them in the lurch but each step forward seems to lessen the problems.

As for Washsaint riding in the heat, I hear you brother! I'm sh_it hot in the Spring/Autumn but when the weather gets sh_it hot I go backwards faster than an Italian tank. I don't even bother racing in July/August.

On a personal note I reckon 6 weeks until I'm back on the bike on the turbo and 8 weeks until outdoors. Maybe a bit less depending on how I recover once the treatment stops in 10 days. The only up side is I've lost the stubborn tummy fat and if I can keep it off I'll be flying up hills!

We've already got Belgium in late Feb booked for some proper sh_itty Flanders weather riding. I love that. Real hardcore old school when out with the local clubs. Amstel Gold is Easter weekend. Mate and I will do the 150km and the wives are doing the 60km. The following weekend it's Mallorca with the lads for 4 days of riding and May 1/2 term I'm off to the Vosges Mountains for 5 days of wine and biking with no kids!

Glad to hear things seem to be going OK VFTT: hope the treatment is not wiping you out too much and that you get back to full health soon.

Look forward to seeing your insane rides appearing on Strava again soon!

Hope your recovery keeps progressing as it seems to be VFTT. Just don't rush things when you get the OK to be back on the bike.

Frustrated!!!

The new bike turned up yesterday and I managed to finally get the wife to help me take it and the box it came in, in to the garage having spent the entire day looking at it!

Another seven days before I'm able to get the stitches out of my hand following the operation so it's a minimum of seven days before I get to ride my new trusty stead! It does look pretty awesome but I've not removed it from the box yet!! Fortunately my 'battery store' worked as planned yesterday and charged the Di2 battery so I can charge it in the garage and won't have to drag it into the house every time the battery needs charging!

Hopefully my hand will be strong enough to put the pedals on and adjust the seat / handlebars before the stitches come out so it will be ready to go as soon as my hand will allow.... In the meantime I'll just have to keep going out for long walks!

Frustrated!!!

The new bike turned up yesterday and I managed to finally get the wife to help me take it and the box it came in, in to the garage having spent the entire day looking at it!

Another seven days before I'm able to get the stitches out of my hand following the operation so it's a minimum of seven days before I get to ride my new trusty stead! It does look pretty awesome but I've not removed it from the box yet!! Fortunately my 'battery store' worked as planned yesterday and charged the Di2 battery so I can charge it in the garage and won't have to drag it into the house every time the battery needs charging!

Hopefully my hand will be strong enough to put the pedals on and adjust the seat / handlebars before the stitches come out so it will be ready to go as soon as my hand will allow.... In the meantime I'll just have to keep going out for long walks!

Happy new bike WSS. My next door neighbour is bringing one of these back south today having arranged 'business' meeting in Manchester which means he's been able to collect it in person. http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-hf83/build/

Nice! The Ribble 'own brand' bikes do seem to offer very good value and receive good reviews. I looked at that frame but ruled it out on the geometry and the size of frames on offer. Having a dodgy back my position needs to be more upright - I'm OK with that as I know I'm never going to be a 'racer' and just happy to be out getting exercise! - so my seat is only a couple of centimetres above the handlebars, which only the 'gran fondo' frame offered with a 58cm frame.

I had no idea that the Mavic wheels I chose would come wrapped in their own tyres - apparently they sell them as a 'wheel system'. Anybody have any experience with their tyres? Are they any good? I chose conti Gatorskin 25mm tyres when 'building' the bike and was expecting it to come fitted with those, should I whip off the Mavics and put the conti's straight on or give the Mavics a whirl?

Nice! The Ribble 'own brand' bikes do seem to offer very good value and receive good reviews. I looked at that frame but ruled it out on the geometry and the size of frames on offer. Having a dodgy back my position needs to be more upright - I'm OK with that as I know I'm never going to be a 'racer' and just happy to be out getting exercise! - so my seat is only a couple of centimetres above the handlebars, which only the 'gran fondo' frame offered with a 58cm frame.

I had no idea that the Mavic wheels I chose would come wrapped in their own tyres - apparently they sell them as a 'wheel system'. Anybody have any experience with their tyres? Are they any good? I chose conti Gatorskin 25mm tyres when 'building' the bike and was expecting it to come fitted with those, should I whip off the Mavics and put the conti's straight on or give the Mavics a whirl?

My neighbour is the sort who usually pitches up top five in local sportives. If he and I ever ride together he is usually on a recovery ride and I am going full gas!

I bought some Mavic Ksyrium Elites a while back which included the Yksion tyres. I tried them on my then No 1 bike and immediately replaced them with Conti GP4000S. They tyres did not inspire any confidence as they were skittery even in the dry. When I got my new bike a year ago I ordered Mavic Ksyrium SLRs which shipped with Yksion Pro tyres. They were 25mm tyres and grip was not an issue but their puncture protection was. This time I did stick with them until the spring, but in reality a spate of visits from the puncture fairy saw them relegated to turbo duty and replaced with the 25mm GP4000S. I had Gatorskins on my commuter bike. They were pretty much bomb proof with regards to punctures but are of a harder less supple compound so some people find the bike a little on the twitchy side. Can't say I ever experienced this and did thousands of miles on them, eventually trashing them on the turbo after six years of use.

In answer to the question whether to put the Gatorskins on at the expense of the Mavic tyres, it very much depends on which WTS you are getting. I believe the Yksion Pro tyres ship with pricier wheels. If you get them they will give you nice ride through the drier parts of the Autumn but may be prone to punctures in the wetter winter months, so at that point the Gatorskins would be a sensible option. If they are the Yksions swap them out.

Nice - enjoy the new bike WSS.

Over here, the nights are starting to draw in and the group rides are getting shorter as a result but speeds are going up as it gets cooler. Tonight was horrific - there was a terrible, terrible crash with a dad and his kid who should not have been on the group ride weaving all over the place trying to keep up. The kid then had a major spill, and went flying over the handlebars and landed on his face at about 20mph. It was awful and he was in a really bad way - ambulance took him away but several hours later I still feel sick to the stomach. Just hope he is an OK way.....

I know there are those of you out there who have ridden in the Alps and between my myself and my next-door neighbour we are planning next year's trip, so I am looking for a bit of a steer. Most of them have been before and previously stayed in a gite in Huez village but therein lies the problem. To get back to base whichever way you look at it either involves a Cat 1 climb or three-quarters of an HC climb, so we're are looking at alternatives. There are three options. Bourg-d'Oisans itself, Somewhere in the Maurienne Valley, probably St Jean du Maurienne, or in the area of Morzine. It will be a mixed ability party of around 6 or 7, with a couple of Marmotte veteran 'GC contenders' intent on battering themselves up signature climbs, a couple of 'climbing domestiques' and a couple, myself included in the 'Grupetto', so location has to cater for all. All are around the same driving time from Calais and seem to offer enough in the way of accommodation and shops for self catering, which is another determining factor.

Bourg-d'Oisans gives us; the Alpe, Les Deux Alpes, Ornon, Morte, Sarenne, Glandon and a plethora of shorter out and back climbs to places like Vaujany, Oz and via the Ornon to Villard Reymond and Oulles, but with the problems with the D1091 tunnel the Lauteret and Galibier seem still not to be accessible.

St Jean du Maurienne would give us the Telegraphe and Galibier as out and backs and the Madeleine, Col du Chaussy via the Lacets du Montvernier, The Mollard, Croix de Fer, La Toussuire, and the Glandon (Marmotte reverse), but apart from a loop up the Lacets and down via Hermillon it doesn't seem to offer so much for the 'Grupetto'.

Morzine is one we are less sure of. We are not convinced it will offer enough that won't involve driving. Obviously the there is the Joux Plan nearby but the 'GC contenders' seem less sure that there is enough for them there.

Have you looked at basing yourself in Samoens? Just about the shortest drive from the UK. Ideal territory for a mixed group, beautiful, unspolit small town (it's really a village) ideal for rest days/downtime and there would be lots of out-of-season skiing accomodation/chalets that wouldn't be dear. Fantastic mixed terrain for the groupetto. For the hard core Joux Plan starts in the village, out and back to Flaine is a decent ride, Samoens 1600 is a total daddy of a climb (goes up from the doorstep 1000m in 10km = 10% for 10k, you won't find much to beat that anywhere), access across to the Colombier (HC) and beyond. 20k to the Ramez which was new on this year's tour and is an absolute beast (Cat1 I think but real Where Eagles Dare stuff, bleak and unforbidding, high cliffs all round, big drop offs and a tunnel, we did it in the car and it was scarey!)

Day rides to Lac Geneva and you can access the whole Abondance valley via Les Gets/Morzine which is achievable for the groupetto. Have a look.

Another great area we visited is Vars (south of Briancon) longer drive but opens up a lovely area. Isoard (which is a must-do, for me it's prob my 'favourite' of all of them), Col d Angelo (huge, links over into Italy, it was the roof of the Tour the year they had it and I think that's the highest the tour has been in modern times. You can also access Vars which is a tour finish, also from Briancon climb into Italy , can't remember the name of the ski resort there, begins with M, driveable (ridable!) to Galibier/Telegrapg from there. Groupetto can go South towards Gap, agai na beautiful part of the world.

Bourg/Alpe D'Huez is great but there are other alternatives!

Have you looked at basing yourself in Samoens? Just about the shortest drive from the UK. Ideal territory for a mixed group, beautiful, unspolit small town (it's really a village) ideal for rest days/downtime and there would be lots of out-of-season skiing accomodation/chalets that wouldn't be dear. Fantastic mixed terrain for the groupetto. For the hard core Joux Plan starts in the village, out and back to Flaine is a decent ride, Samoens 1600 is a total daddy of a climb (goes up from the doorstep 1000m in 10km = 10% for 10k, you won't find much to beat that anywhere), access across to the Colombier (HC) and beyond. 20k to the Ramez which was new on this year's tour and is an absolute beast (Cat1 I think but real Where Eagles Dare stuff, bleak and unforbidding, high cliffs all round, big drop offs and a tunnel, we did it in the car and it was scarey!)

Day rides to Lac Geneva and you can access the whole Abondance valley via Les Gets/Morzine which is achievable for the groupetto. Have a look.

Another great area we visited is Vars (south of Briancon) longer drive but opens up a lovely area. Isoard (which is a must-do, for me it's prob my 'favourite' of all of them), Col d Angelo (huge, links over into Italy, it was the roof of the Tour the year they had it and I think that's the highest the tour has been in modern times. You can also access Vars which is a tour finish, also from Briancon climb into Italy , can't remember the name of the ski resort there, begins with M, driveable (ridable!) to Galibier/Telegrapg from there. Groupetto can go South towards Gap, agai na beautiful part of the world.

Bourg/Alpe D'Huez is great but there are other alternatives!

Thanks for that sandwichsaint.The consensus in the end was Bourg d'Oisans and a 12 person gite has been duly booked. I suppose as the only first timer in the party it fell to others more familiar with the Alps to decide on location in the end. As I've never been before I am sure I will be blown away by the mountains (not literally I trust) around Bourg. Personally though it would have been great if we were all in new territory IMO. I was taken with the Morzine/Samoens/Sallanches area chatting to a club member who did the Time/Megeve sportive last year. A couple were up for a change but the gite ticked most boxes, not least because of its size and location in the town. Those that have been before reckon there is a bit more exploring to be done particularly as they no longer have to get three-quarters of the way up Alpe d'Huez every day.

I've done a virtual ride up the Izoard on my smart trainer through the Casse Deserte, I'd love to do it in real life. Unfortunately the problem with Briancon is accessibility. The D1091 from Bourg to the Lauteret is still closed through the Chambon Tunnel. Getting there would mean a 170 km detour. A local relief/escape road has been built on the other side of Lac du Chambon, but is very narrow, one way in places and prone to closure. It is indeed a temporary measure. The departement have said that the tunnel is scheduled to open before next summer, but they've been saying that for the last eighteen months. Anyway big thanks for your input.

Thanks for that sandwichsaint.The consensus in the end was Bourg d'Oisans and a 12 person gite has been duly booked. I suppose as the only first timer in the party it fell to others more familiar with the Alps to decide on location in the end. As I've never been before I am sure I will be blown away by the mountains (not literally I trust) around Bourg. Personally though it would have been great if we were all in new territory IMO. I was taken with the Morzine/Samoens/Sallanches area chatting to a club member who did the Time/Megeve sportive last year. A couple were up for a change but the gite ticked most boxes, not least because of its size and location in the town. Those that have been before reckon there is a bit more exploring to be done particularly as they no longer have to get three-quarters of the way up Alpe d'Huez every day.

I've done a virtual ride up the Izoard on my smart trainer through the Casse Deserte, I'd love to do it in real life. Unfortunately the problem with Briancon is accessibility. The D1091 from Bourg to the Lauteret is still closed through the Chambon Tunnel. Getting there would mean a 170 km detour. A local relief/escape road has been built on the other side of Lac du Chambon, but is very narrow, one way in places and prone to closure. It is indeed a temporary measure. The departement have said that the tunnel is scheduled to open before next summer, but they've been saying that for the last eighteen months. Anyway big thanks for your input.

No probs, I realise the two posts are several weeks apart and you have made other arrangements. Didn't realise the tunnel on the Lauteret was closed, agree that the detour doesn't look very attractive! Put Isoard on the bucket list, you won't be disappointed.

No probs, I realise the two posts are several weeks apart and you have made other arrangements. Didn't realise the tunnel on the Lauteret was closed, agree that the detour doesn't look very attractive! Put Isoard on the bucket list, you won't be disappointed.

Looks like it might be open, so brings into play a Lauteret/Galibier out and back. Our Queen Stage is likely to be north from Bourg d'Oisans on the D1091 to Sechilienne and then over the Col du Morte before descending and heading east over the Col d'Ornon back to B d'O and up the Alpe to finish.

Looks like it might be open, so brings into play a Lauteret/Galibier out and back. Our Queen Stage is likely to be north from Bourg d'Oisans on the D1091 to Sechilienne and then over the Col du Morte before descending and heading east over the Col d'Ornon back to B d'O and up the Alpe to finish.

What's that in terms of km distance/vertical metres? I'm not familiar with two of those climbs but fair play if you are doing three big climbs in a day. We've never done more than one climb in a day, but we don't have rest days, guess joining two or three climbs together in one day is the next level! Guess you might need a rest day after that!

What's that in terms of km distance/vertical metres? I'm not familiar with two of those climbs but fair play if you are doing three big climbs in a day. We've never done more than one climb in a day, but we don't have rest days, guess joining two or three climbs together in one day is the next level! Guess you might need a rest day after that!

113km with 3200m+ of climbing. Tagging Alpe d'Huez on at the end means that those that want to bale in Bourg can do saving around 14km and 1200m further climbing. Col du Morte can be approached from the north or south. From the former it is an HC climb (Cat 2 the other way) at the top is a ski area known as L'Alpe du Grand Serre (more attractive to skiers than Pass of the Dead/Death I suppose) http://www.strava.com/segments/670715. The Col d'Ornon is a Cat 2 with a descent that takes you back towards the D1091 and Bourg d'Oisans. http://www.strava.com/segments/632988

Whatever way it'll be a big day of riding and one we'll be working up to, not doing on day 1. Others planned are an out and back to Les Deux Alpes, the same to Vaujauny (used in Dauphine this year) an Alpe TT and possibly a trip to La Barade and back so prettymuch 1 climb per day building up 1 big day.

Two weeks today since my last ride! Withdrawal symptoms are very strong but legs are well and truly recovered!

Stitches out tomorrow morning so I should be able to put the new bike on the turbo and fiddle around to get the setup right. With luck, i may even be able to take it out for a spin on Thursday... I've finally taken it out of the box and the tyres that are wrapped around the wheels are Mavic Yksion Elite Guard - I can only find one review on these and they seem to be OK so I'll give them a whirl and see if the review is right....

Enjoy the new toy WSS!

I'm fortunate enough to be back in Denver for business so rented a bike for the downtime. Stunning ride this morning up Golden State Canyon but bloody tough (7.3 mile climb average 7%) starting at 6K feet and climbing 2800 feet. My route back was washed away so turned into a bike hike and even a lift by the workmen for one section where there had been a landslide and no bikes were allowed. Certainly an experience and absolutely love the Rockies for cycling.....it is pretty much perfect here but I can't persuade the wife to move out unfortunately!

Enjoy the new toy WSS!

Fingers crossed that I will one day!

Put it up on the stand again this afternoon for a shakedown and ran it through the gears only for the chain to slide over and into the spokes! Phoned up Ribble whose customer service is absolutely terrible! The guy I was speaking to asked what I thought they should do about it! He said he would get it picked up tomorrow which means it will get to them on Monday. They will then take 3 days to look at it before sending it back to me when it will arrive next Friday! After several discussions with the manager - with me pointing out numerous times how disgruntled I was with their service - they have now agreed to pick the bike up tomorrow as planned [it's now back in its box] and they will build a new one tomorrow and send it out to me on Friday so I will receive it on Monday. Maybe next week I can play with the new toy....

Looks like my ride tomorrow will be back on the old bike! Still, at least I can get out!

VftT, you did Flanders this year right? Where did you stay? Seriously considering trying to do it next year but not sure if I can find a room afterwards in Oudenaarde or its easy enough to get out of and back to a bigger city for the weekend.

We stayed in Gent. Cracking place. About 15mins in the car. It was 2015 I did Flanders. I dis Amstel this year and doing it again next yer as well. Enjoyed it more plus I ride in Flanders 2/3 times a year. Either are well worth doing

• 2 weeks later...

Toughest ride I have ever done at the weekend. Civil War Century which involved 8,000 feet of climbing over 106 miles. Ride was hard enough but the extreme humidity and heat really took a toll.

Temperature was around 95 degrees with a heat index of well over 100. Very little shade in places and it is not an exaggeration to say there were plenty of ambulances carting people off with severe dehydration, heat stroke and cramp. Looked like a war zone with riders lying down under trees by the side of the road to try and recover along the route. After 50 miles I nearly bailed as pace was too strong with who I was riding with and could feel myself overheating. Managed to nurse myself home but doubt I will ever do this century again!!!!!

For all that it was incredibly beautiful ride taking in many Civil War battlefields like Antietam and Gettysburg.

Tough, tough, tough!

Toughest ride I have ever done at the weekend. Civil War Century which involved 8,000 feet of climbing over 106 miles. Ride was hard enough but the extreme humidity and heat really took a toll.

Temperature was around 95 degrees with a heat index of well over 100. Very little shade in places and it is not an exaggeration to say there were plenty of ambulances carting people off with severe dehydration, heat stroke and cramp. Looked like a war zone with riders lying down under trees by the side of the road to try and recover along the route. After 50 miles I nearly bailed as pace was too strong with who I was riding with and could feel myself overheating. Managed to nurse myself home but doubt I will ever do this century again!!!!!

For all that it was incredibly beautiful ride taking in many Civil War battlefields like Antietam and Gettysburg.

Tough, tough, tough!

Chapeau Washsaint, sounds like a really tough ride in a unique setting. It's always a good feeling to actually have nailed something in spite of the conditions. Its been hot here as well. Hottest September day since 1911 yesterday 34C. heading up to 30 today. Fortunately it's not going to last to the weekend as I have this on Sunday.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/16132125 As usual in southern England no great aggregate of climbing but plenty of short sharp stuff. to break the rhythm.

That looks like a stunning ride Winner - and glad the weather won't be too brutal. That can sap the fun out of it as it becomes all about just finishing!

Just looked at BBC Weather site. Max 18C for Bovington Camp, sunny intervals, winds light NW/WNW. Don't have the benefit of other club members for this one. Most rode in Ronde de Picardie last weekend. So I'm on my own.

This is the first obstacle. Dorset's answer to Alpe d'Huez.

https://www.strava.com/segments/1002115

The stand out climb is this up through Milton Abbas.

https://www.strava.com/segments/1088430

And then towards the end there are two. Chaldon Ridge and the main road climb out of Lulworth.

https://www.strava.com/segments/2607786

http://www.strava.com/segments/4072242