The weekend riding thread.

View From The Top

How was the ride Winner? Looked like a hilly one.

WS the ride was certainly in within the range of where I wanted it to be. My opener for this year was the Tour of Berkshire. This was a little longer with more climbing so I've got to be pleased with a 15 minute improvement on the early season ride. The weather was great. Started off a little autumnal with a light mist and slight chill in the air, by 30 miles in it was blue skies with barely a cloud visible, but temps in the high teens C, so very pleasant. As for the ride itself, well it's Dorset, just a beautiful landscape to ride a bike, but with its own unique challenges. I've ridden part of the route before and so knew the climbs towards the end, but ones in the north of the route were complete unknowns. The climb up through Milton Abbas whilst very pretty turned into an exercise in stem chewing with the last 300m. It pitches up to around 15% and is always well over 10%. At the top at the junction you are still climbing albeit not so steeply before it steepens up again to 7%. All in all it was a great way to end the season. Now it's down to a brief break from the bike, cutting out the ale and losing 8kg in preparation for the alps next June.

WS the ride was certainly in within the range of where I wanted it to be. My opener for this year was the Tour of Berkshire. This was a little longer with more climbing so I've got to be pleased with a 15 minute improvement on the early season ride. The weather was great. Started off a little autumnal with a light mist and slight chill in the air, by 30 miles in it was blue skies with barely a cloud visible, but temps in the high teens C, so very pleasant. As for the ride itself, well it's Dorset, just a beautiful landscape to ride a bike, but with its own unique challenges. I've ridden part of the route before and so knew the climbs towards the end, but ones in the north of the route were complete unknowns. The climb up through Milton Abbas whilst very pretty turned into an exercise in stem chewing with the last 300m. It pitches up to around 15% and is always well over 10%. At the top at the junction you are still climbing albeit not so steeply before it steepens up again to 7%. All in all it was a great way to end the season. Now it's down to a brief break from the bike, cutting out the ale and losing 8kg in preparation for the alps next June.

The season never ends youth! Autumn/Winter riding is the best by far. Wind, rain, wind, wind. What's not to love? Release your inner Belgium. 100miler Saturdays remain standard mixed in with the Zwift racing a few times a week. My issue is going to be putting some weight back on having lost so much. Something I'm very much looking forward too!

Hopefully back on the bike on Zwift within 2 weeks and back out on the road in 4-6. Not healing quite as quickly as I'd have liked but ironically that's a good sign in my treatment.

I love riding in Dorset. It's such a beautiful place but as lumpy as hell. Never seen so many 20% ramp signs in one place and I'm used to riding in the Peak District!

Strangely, I'm looking forward to the autumn / winter riding as well! New mudguards fitted to the 'old' bike which also has some new boots on for the winter roads - vredestein fortezza senso http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/reviews/tyres/vredestein-fortezza-senso-weather-road-bike-tyres - which get good reviews as a winter tyre. I've taken the bike out once with those on and it made no noticeable difference to the time, but that was before I fitted the mud guards and haven't ridden it since then...

Still hoping for another couple of weeks of dry weather to take the 'new bike' through it's paces. Initial feedback is that it works very well. A few little niggles with the mechanical setup - rubbing brakes, rear derailleur needed a slight tweaking and front derailleur needed to be moved out a couple of mm's - but seems to be working fine now. I tried the mavic tyres that came with the wheels for a couple of weeks but took them off on Saturday and swapped them for some conti gatorskins which despite my tired legs still gave a better time than the mavics which just seemed a little bit 'sluggish'.

As for the wind in the winter, living next door to the sea, I've had 30-40mph winds most rides during the summer, so I'm kind of getting used to it now and it's more of a novelty to finish a ride without having battled a block wind for 10 miles!

The season never ends youth! Autumn/Winter riding is the best by far. Wind, rain, wind, wind. What's not to love? Release your inner Belgium. 100miler Saturdays remain standard mixed in with the Zwift racing a few times a week. My issue is going to be putting some weight back on having lost so much. Something I'm very much looking forward too!

Hopefully back on the bike on Zwift within 2 weeks and back out on the road in 4-6. Not healing quite as quickly as I'd have liked but ironically that's a good sign in my treatment.

I love riding in Dorset. It's such a beautiful place but as lumpy as hell. Never seen so many 20% ramp signs in one place and I'm used to riding in the Peak District!

Great to hear you are on the mend even if it's a little more slowly than wished for, and only a couple of weeks from pedalling again. Perhaps my post did imply a certain finality, but in truth the brief break will be probably be a winding down week and I will start again with the club Saturday social ride at the weekend. I have no more events planned as it stands but will be certainly on the road as much as I can. Three of us locally are going to the Alps next year so we plan to get out together once we have all nailed our last 2016 event, so after the second week in October. Wind I don't mind, rain doesn't bother me as such, but I do draw the line when it gets icy.

I have to agree with you about Dorset, the lumps just keep on coming even when you least expect them. You get lulled into a false sense of security even on the flatter bits which suddenly get punctuated by very brief but sapping ramps, but it is beautiful part of the country.

The winter plan is to release my inner Alps rather than Belgium. I've set myself the target of doing the Galibier in my 60th year so I better have plan to improve my climbing!

I miss hedgerows and country lanes over here in the US. But based on the video I do not miss the damp and grey skies and no doubt chilly weather!!!

Proper jealous of the Alps trip you have planned though!!

Dorset is just brilliant for bike riding. To be honest although it looks damp, grey and chilly it wasn't that bad. It wasn't cool enough to need arm warmers. I'll put another couple of videos later which show how the day turned out. Hardly the temps you had last week in US though.

As for the Alps, the first thing I need to do is think about my gearing. My bike has a pro-compact 52-36 chainset with 11-28 out back, which left me grovelling a little when the percentages went into the teens. I was frequently passed on climbs by riders who were spinning at a higher cadence than I was, so it looks like I need to switch to a proper compact set up. Certainly feels like it.

Have you thought about just sticking an 11-32 cassette on the back? If you went to a proper compact you would only gain two extra teeth - vital in Portsmouth, but not quite so on a bike! - with a 34 front ring. I've got the full 50-34 and 11-32 setup on both my bikes but even at my size I am very rarely in the 34-32 combination and tend to use it when I'm being 'lazy'! The only time I feel I actually 'need' that combo is when I go round the two bends going up cheddar and it ramps up to over 20% [although I did previously do it with a 28 on the back before I changed!]. You might save a few quid keeping your current chainring on.

The only thing you would need to consider if you are just putting the bigger cassette on the back - to be honest the cassette isn't that expensive at about £45 for the Ultegra - would be to make sure you have the 'medium' sized rear derailleur cage fitted. If you currently have the 'short' version, which is quite likely with an 11-28 cassette, then you are looking at around £135 for the Di2 cage and the short cage will not work with the 32 tooth. Having said that, the ability to keep spinning at around 70rpm even once the slope goes over 15% is a godsend as the higher cadence helps to keep the lactose in check!

I would highly recommend a proper compact for the Alps based on the riding I have done out in the Rockies this year: I am just under 14 stone and cannot shift any more weight so I am not built for climbing. I could not have survived some of the 15-20 mile climbs using my standard bike with a standard chainset. Having a compact made life very bearable and meant I did not run of gas - the standard chain set is fine for short sharp hills (for me even up to 20%+) but would not want to try a very long climb using the standard chain set - especially if in places it goes to 10%+.

I would highly recommend a proper compact for the Alps based on the riding I have done out in the Rockies this year: I am just under 14 stone and cannot shift any more weight so I am not built for climbing. I could not have survived some of the 15-20 mile climbs using my standard bike with a standard chainset. Having a compact made life very bearable and meant I did not run of gas - the standard chain set is fine for short sharp hills (for me even up to 20%+) but would not want to try a very long climb using the standard chain set - especially if in places it goes to 10%+.

This is pretty much how I feel WS. I'm around the same weight. If you look at this video you'll get a feel for why I think it's the way forward. Rider goes past me at around 4 mins 45 and you can tell his cadence is much higher than mine even though he is out of the saddle as I was. I was wrestling the bike out of Milton Abbas expending a lot of energy and effort in doing so. He wasn't!

Edited by Winnersaint

Really challenging ride to finish the group ride season today - nearly 4.5K feet of climibing in 50 miles with some nasty climbs. Beautiful ride though - esepcially when following the Shenandoah river through the forest. It's been a cracking season and realized a number of 'dreams' such as riding in the ROckies (twice!), big rides in Oregon and really picking the pace up this year.

Have my eye on one final century in Anne Arundel in late October and will likely do Skyline Drive again before it gets too cold.

Really challenging ride to finish the group ride season today - nearly 4.5K feet of climibing in 50 miles with some nasty climbs. Beautiful ride though - esepcially when following the Shenandoah river through the forest. It's been a cracking season and realized a number of 'dreams' such as riding in the ROckies (twice!), big rides in Oregon and really picking the pace up this year.

Have my eye on one final century in Anne Arundel in late October and will likely do Skyline Drive again before it gets too cold.

Chapeau! When does it get too cold to ride out. Obviously here you can pretty much ride all year round, although I won't do icy roads in winter.

A week on and I thought I'd do a write up of The Dorset Rotary Bike Ride from last Sunday. It is a cracking event with a selection of five distances right up to a 108 mile Etape.

The event is based at Longthorns Farm which is right next to Monkey World. There is ample parking and as it is a camping/caravan site ample toilet and shower facilities. All in all a great start/finish venue. So at around 8:20 am with a misty chill in the air I set off with a group of riders all complete strangers. The first part of the ride takes you through Wool and down towards the edge of Wareham and is generally brisk. Where you can have a natter and cruise along at 30 kph without much effort. The highlight of this part of the ride was close to the start, hearing our simian friends cheering us on as we rolled past Monkey World. From Stoborough to Corfe via Church Knowle is on the video I posted in post #602. To be fair the climb itself up the ridge only really kicks up after the switchback and the descent back into Corfe was fun. The edge being slightly taken off by not knowing the roads. From Corfe we looped across Hartland Moor towards the Arne Peninsula and it was here that I tagged along with a group from Evesham, before joining up with my original group as we crossed the causeway into Wareham itself. Thus far the ride had nothing really of note apart from the first climb. Even out of Wareham along the Puddletown Road it was false flat at worst before we made a turn to Bere Regis. By this time I was riding with a guy from Weymouth (West Ham fan to boot - He had no idea what was going on there either). Our footy talk and general natter belied the fact that the road was going a bit more pointy uppy, but it passed the time to the first feed station. Magnificent is the only description I can give. Flapjacks from the Dorset Flapjack Co, egg, cheese or ham rolls, bananas, ready made up energy/hydration drinks and a plentiful supply of water, what more could a cyclist ask for?

Through Bere Regis we headed for Milborne St Andrew along roads which again were more false flat of around 1-2% than anything else. Just enough to take an edge off speed and to provide us with a meaningful effort. More to come soon!

Nice Winner - been really interested to see if the UK organized rides are like the US ones, in the sense of good aid stations, post ride meals (and beers sometimes) included. Sounds like your ride had better fuel than the ones I do here. One ride does amazing tomato sandwiches and fresh peaches but other than that it is a bit grim.

In terms of riding over here, I ride year round. I actually really enjoy the winter riding in the dry as it can be -15C with wind chills but wrapped up warm and no-one else around can be fun! The air is very dry here in the winter so it only becomes icy after snow or rain.

Look forward to the next instalment of your ride.......

Cheers. It is a bit patchy WS. Guide Dogs Tour of Berkshire which was similar in length in April just had water and Jaffa Cakes at stops (As the wealthiest charity in the UK you'd think they could do a little better) and the 3 Counties just water so it does vary. To be fair I've never done one of the really big organised ones like the Wiggle series so beyond the smaller scale events I can't really comment. Suffice to to say whether it was Cancer Research UK, Wareham Rotary, or the ride partners the refreshments were the best I've come across.

As far as winter riding is concerned, you are lucky that when it gets cold it is a dry cold. Too much moisture from the Atlantic means that wind, rain, fog and frost are not uncommon. When you add to that the state of some of the roads particularly rural lanes you see why you have to pick your days. VFTT has his own take on winter riding in post#599 and he lives much further north than I do. That said, if you've the right gear you can get out in most weathers.

THE MIDDLE BIT

So the climb through Milton Abbas came next. Lovely village. At first it was all 5-6% but the last 300m were spiteful and it was here that I realised that climbing in a 36-28 gear was not going to do me any favours there or in the Alps next summer. I quickly lost distance and time to my riding companion who knew the climb, but as I watched I was conscious that his cadence and that of a rider who eventually passed me on the steepest section were much faster than mine courtesy of having compact set-ups. I was out of the saddle turning the peddles too slowly for my comfort. That said there was never a moment when I thought I wouldn't get up the climb but I would have liked the option to have gone up with a higher cadence. With the mid to high teens percentages negotiated the road turned left and continued upwards, albeit more gently through the more modern end of Milton Abbas before it kicked up again. A left turn took us towards the highest point of the ride, Bulbarrow Hill. Fortunately most of the ascending had been done through the previous climb and all that needed to be done was to climb at reasonable percentages along a road through a very oppressive wood. It was the sort of place that you wouldn't want a puncture or mechanical in, in case goblins, elves or even walking talking trees came out and spirited you away. With the highest point done it was nice to be going downhill once more, albeit with speeds tempered by unfamiliarity with the roads. I'd been riding on my own for about 5km, but I became aware that I'd been joined by another rider on the first part of the Cheselbourne descent. Group riding instinct took over. With someone on my 'six' calling the hazards was my responsibility, but in truth there were few potholes and the road surface was OK for a narrow country lane. The only panic of note was when two elderly ladies crossed the road 'GRANNIES!!!!' seemed the most appropriate shout under the circumstances. The only other hairy moment was as we approached the village of Ansty where the descent ended abruptly at a junction with a squealing of my Exalith brake track and a slight rear wheel skid. Predictably the rider behind me had no such issues as he was on disc brakes. Continuing on a mainly downward trajectory I eventually reached Cheselbourne and the second feed stop. Here I met up with the Matt the West Ham fan again and we set off from the stop and immediately started a stiff climb. It went in this vein for the next 12km through Piddletrenthide, Piddlehinton and into the more politely renamed Puddletown. This was the Aston Martins section of ride so called because of the sheer number of Astons that went past us either on the way to, or from, an owners club rally. Millions of pounds worth of cars drove by in the space of around ten minutes or so. The route took us almost to the outskirts of Hardy's Casterbridge before turning eastwards once more, back towards Moreton and the final feed stop. It was here the 70 mile and 81 mile routes split and with a shake of hands my riding partner for the day headed to the finish. I on the the other hand, had another 30km still to go.

Love that area Winner - my dad lives out in Tisbury so understand the steep hills and lumpiness round that way! Don't you just love the organized rides where you meet so many different people and have some good chats/company that makes the ride fly by?

Sounds like a great ride (in decent weather!) - I know last time I was back in the UK (last summer) I was able to get out round Winchester and while not mountains like near me here, plenty of steep hills to get the legs burning! But was still shocked at how damp it was in summer (obviously had forgotten)!

There's something about the chalklands in southern England that is special. Each area is unique. The summer dampness is just a fact of life, although we've been luckier this year. The summer months have been pretty dry by normal standards in contrast to the Spring which was in turns cold and then wet.

With regards to organised rides they really can bring the best from within the cycling community and you are absolutely bang on about having company making rides fly by even if it doesn't make it any less painful.

THE FINALE

The last part of the ride had been more familiar to me as I had ridden it three years previously. Following on the Evesham group which set off a minute or so before me the route southwards was mainly false flat, punctuated by a few short sharp climbs and descents. It hadn't been easy to get going after the last stop and I soon lost sight of the Evesham group. . At the junction with the A352 the next climb came starkly into view. Chaldon Ridge is not long, probably no more than half a kilometre in length, but it averages around 7% with a maximum gradient of 15. The main road ensured that any speed I was carrying was effectively scrubbed off at the start of the climb which starts benignly enough, gradually increasing in gradient to five percent a hundred metres in. Ahead was a female rider detached from the rest of the Evesham group who was on the steeper section of the climb slowly zig-zagging her way up the road. The road is a visible reminder of the job in hand as it doesn't disappear into trees or between deep hedgerows and whilst I didn't have to resort to zig-zagging it was still an effort to get up. It is however, mercifully short and I descended through Chaldon Herring to Winfrith Newburgh and the base of the next ascent up to Durdle Dor. It's a gradual climb which steepens up towards the top but doesn't possess vicious gradients, however, the day's efforts were were beginning to take their toll as I cramped in both thighs reminding me to take on liquid and a gel. Less than two minutes from the top of that climb I was in West Lulworth on the last real test of the day. I began to overtake other riders as I climbed out of the village, almost all struggling. This climb falls between the last two, in being longer and more gentle than Chaldon Ridge and shorter and steeper than the road to Durdle Dor, nevertheless it is a real test with gradients around ten percent for around five-hundred metres in the middle. Then when you think you've cracked it it kicks up once more, but getting to the junction with the B3078 marked the end of the real effort for the day. Back into Wool the fastest speeds of the day were achieved as I homed in on the finish. One last effort was required on the climb past Bovington Camp and in similar vein to the Lulworth climb I began to catch and pass other riders. A few were struggling quite badly but were being encouraged by those around them to complete the last two miles. I crested a short climb, pulling away from those I'd just passed and was on a wide downhill stretch with the flags marking the entrance back into Longthorns Farm clearly visible. Pushing on with a feeling of satisfaction that the season that was 2016 would end on a high I was able to cruise in with minimal effort in excess of 40kph before slowing, making the turn off the road and going under the inflatable finish arch.

Group ride this am required a dose of the 'inner Flandrien'. Wet didn't do it meteorological justice. Stair rod rain under gun metal grey skies, there were better places to be riding a bike than the roads of north Hampshire today, but call it siege mentality or Dunkirk Spirit all six of us stuck with it. Ride was curtailed by second visit from puncture fairy and embarrassed about having hands/fingers too cold to fix own puncture the first time. Riding towards Little London and Bramley the rain was ridiculous and some of the back roads were running almost like streams. Happy days!

• 3 weeks later...

Taking advantage of the unseasonably warm weather over here. Yesterday was around 27 Celsius so got out for a 53 miler up on Skyline Drive with a couple of friends. Normally this time of year it is spectacular with the Fall colors but not this year.

6,000 feet of climbing in 54 miles and a great ride followed by nachos and beer in Front Royal. What more can you ask for?

Never having seen the benfits of indoor trainers until this last winter I am now on a mission to have a full winter of indoors training. I did the same ride in March solo with the same kind of times - coming off 2-3 months off intensive indoor training. Certainly highlighted the need, for me, to not just go out and try to bomb it on group rides in the summer and to supplement this with a more structured plan too.

VFTT - fantastic news that you are able to get back on a bike. Keep us posted on progress!

• 2 weeks later...

Two things this winter for me...

SKS raceblades are like heaven attached to a wheel. Yesterdays ride was 'drizzling' the whole way round which meant the road was wet, but the raceblades did their job well and kept me dry. I remember riding on wet roads last winter with no mud guards and came home dripping wet with mud all up my back, soaked socks and three days for the shoes to dry out! Best money I've ever spent.

Vredestein Fortezza are superb winter tyres. Very good puncture protection - over 600 miles done on them now through all sorts of crap on the road, especially the 'back of beyond' country roads - and no sign of a puncture. Grip is very good on the wet roads - even those covered with cow dung! They're not the sprightliest of tyres and are a bit sluggish from a standing start but they roll very well once they get going. For 40 odd quid they are also pretty well priced.

I was intending heading out on the club Saturday Social ride, but only gave myself an hour to get sorted. Couldn't find Garmin, couldn't find HRM and when I went to put some air in No1 bike's tyres the valve was ****ed. I aslo needed petrol so after much rushing around like a blue arsed fly I abandoned the idea. They did a big(ish) loop out to White Down (Watership Down) and back via Overton and then through Old Basing. Good job I dipped out as I didn't have the time spare that they took. So to the garage and three flat laps of Watopia with sweet spot/threshold efforts added in on sprint and climbs.

I see VFTT is back on a bike - hopefully good news?

Weather still unseasonably warm here (24 degrees celsius on Saturday although we started the ride at about 3 degrees celsius) and lovely ride through the back roads including Trump National golf course (really wanted to take a dump in one of the bunkers - that guy is a nasty, vindictive piece of work) and then some nice hills around Great Falls. This year has been great meeting so many people and now I very rarely have to ride on my own as I have built up a pretty good network of riders this summer. Much more fun riding with folks than having to go solo!

What indoor trainers do folks have and can you recommend a smart trainer (I have a pretty basic, non-smart trainer right now)?

The added benefit is the dry weather - sounds like it has started to get wet and drizzly back in the old country!

Good to see VFTT back on it. Hope it all goes well for him.

Out tomorrow. Definitely autumn/winter riding. Max of 8/9C with cold northerly in middle part of the day. Not doing club social though. It will be me, my neighbour and another in the party going to France next year. I agree with you about it being a good year for meeting other riders and building a network of them. Still OK with soloing though, but longer rides are less attractive.

On turbo's I have two. A Cycleops Fluid 2 and a Bkool Pro both of which will shortly be on E-Bay. I use Zwift with the former but it is kind of cheating so I'm in the market for a smart trainer to replace them both as the Bkool has really proven to be a bit of a busted flush. Looked at a variety of them. If I'm really honest I am pretty certain I'll get this on the basis that it is reputed to be a very good trainer, has wide 3rd party app cover as well and that reviews seem to focus on it being as realistic an experience as it's possible to be in your garage. hope this helps.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wahoo-kickr-snap-smart-turbo-trainer/

The beauty of living in the States. I have a lovely finished basement so can connect everything up to a big TV and be nice and warm too!

Thanks for the headsup - I have my eye on the Kickr....

My garage isn't big on warmth but does have power. Thought you might like to have a look at this. The guy's even local to you. https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/06/wahoo-kickr-snap.html I'll let you know how I get on with it when mine arrives tomorrow. Will use it Sunday, probably.

My garage isn't big on warmth but does have power. Thought you might like to have a look at this. The guy's even local to you. https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/06/wahoo-kickr-snap.html I'll let you know how I get on with it when mine arrives tomorrow. Will use it Sunday, probably.

Not THAT close to be fair :

For example the pre-production unit I was sent had a standard US power cord on it. I simply applied a cheap $1 adapter to the end, and boom – it worked perfectly here in Paris.

Probably closer to Reading than Washington ;)

Ride today with next door neighbour and another guy who'd I'd never met before, but who's coming to France next June. Turns out he's a fellow Saints supporter. Was at SMS on Thursday and is off to Prague in a few weeks. Anyway, that aside, it was feckin cold this pm and the wind was picking up as we rode. Going north towards the A4 from White Waltham was bringing out the 'inner Flandrien' in me. On the front into a decidedly chilly northerly it was hard work. There was relief in the form of a cake and coffee stop at Velolife, a recently opened cafe in the village of Warren Row, which is essentially atop Remenham Hill, so if you are ever riding in that area give it a go. Been three times so far. Chocolate cake is just awesome, carrot cake pretty much on a par but the chocolate brownie does it for me. Anyway, brilliant place, housed in a former pub with a bike workshop within. Starting off after our stop I was as cold as I have been on a bike for a long time. Strava says temp was 4C. Thoroughly enjoyable ride apart from the cold.

Hhmmmm. Yesterday was still fine for shorts, a little chilly to start with but I soon warmed up.

I went with the shorts again this morning. Mistake! That Northerly weather system had moved down as far as me and it was monkeys! One of the signs I road past had about half an inch of ice on it! I couldn't feel my legs after about 10 minutes and for some strange reason I decided to put my summer shoes on with all the ventilation they have. Toes went completely numb. I tried out a couple of hills once I got back to town to see if I could warm up but with freezing cold muscles the hills just hurt more than they usually do. I gave up and went home for a hot shower!

This is a pic I took of the orchard behind Thatchers cider factory - hopefully shows the cold!

Ya_TQhzXuNz8_ABn4cEBfbjWJlE8CPdjM0h7OLYGwgk-2048x1152.jpg

I gained permission from the boss to go out for a short spin on the road today, just around the town, only to wake up feeling 'kin sh_ite and for it to be raining. She soon rescinded her permission.

May spin on Zwift later but as my mouth hasn't healed yet (some days are way better than others) sometimes after 10mins it's impossible to carry on. Other days it's managable for 30-40mins.

What is really galling though is that my usual Saturday ride partners are still banging out 200km rides and I'm dipping out. I've no doubt that when I'm fit enough the bloody weather will have changed.

Got our Amstel Gold ride confirmation this week which is something to train for. I get back from that on the Monday and fly out to Mallorca on the Thursday. Got to love the Spring. :D

Once you get your smart trainers sorted and you fancy a real, properly hard, workout do some racing. Do that twice a week and you'll be fitter than you've ever been but I warn you, it's brutal but the results are amazing.

Looks good Winner - be really interested in your thoughts on it once you have tried it.

OK WS. The good news is that the Kickr Snap arrived and I got it set up. The bad news was that to do so I had to give the garage a bit of a clear out. Further bad news was that when I'd got it all set up and given it a trial ride it made an almighty racket that seemed to come from the roller. When I looked at the roller I noticed that it was moving for and aft as well as laterally on its axle/spindle. I could rock the wheel back and forth on the roller also. So contacted Wiggle, going to send them a video and it looks like it is going back.

A hard slog today! 30mph NW wind which was great for the first 14.5 miles where I headed East so the wind was at my back, unfortunately, those first 15 miles were predominantly uphill! Then I turned round and headed West for the next 17 miles straight in to the wind. Even coming down Cheddar I was pedalling at 80rpm down the top slopes and the wind was so strong I was only hitting about 14.5mph, normally that section would be about 20-25mph with minimal effort. No chance of breaking records today!

Good news though, I only need to do another 13 miles to hit my 4,000 mile target for the year :D

VftT its really good to see you back at it on Strava, well done. I didn't realise until I saw some of your pics last week but I think we sat beside each other on the flight to Milan from Manchester. If you were in row 9 then I am correct.

As for me, off for a scan on my knee tomorrow to find out why 10 minutes on the bike makes my kneecap feel like relocating to my elbow. Really has curtailed my year. Signed up to do the Deloitte Ride Across Britain in September next year. All being well thats a decent bucket list challenge right there.

I didn't go to Milan, I was too poorly. My nipper went though.

What is most frustrating for me is that physically I'm fine and should be out on the bike but my mouth still hasn't healed and seems weeks and weeks away from doing so.

Decided to have a pop at Gent - Wevelgem in late March. A whole €10. Doing it as day trip. :D Means when my mouth does heal I have to be bang at it to get the fitness back.

The Deloitte ride. Now that ain't cheap!

Based on your thoughts Winner, ordered the Kikr Snap today. Got a great deal from REI - kit was $600 but got 20% off as a member.

Really tough ride today - about 83 miles all in with a couple of buddies. Wind was brutal and really did not feel strong much of the way around. Stunning ride though and really pleased we can still get out this time of year.

VfTT - good luck on the recovery and don't rush it! WSS - hows the new bike?

The new bike has been mothballed until we get better / drier weather!

It's only done 300 miles so a little difficult to tell what it's like! Initially there was an issue with the Di2 and it had to be sent back. Then the rear wheel - Mavic Aksium - turned into an egg with loose spokes all over the place, wobbling laterally as well as vertically. Unfortunately, Ribble are not really switched on in the same way that Wiggle are. Wiggle would have said to take the wheel to the local bike shop to get re-trued and they would refund the cost. Ribble ordered me to send the wheel back to them which I did, stating that I wanted it replaced. A week later they got back to me to say they didn't have any Mavic Aksium's in stock to replace it with but not to worry as they had been in touch with Mavic and they had said it would be fine to increase the spoke tension. I insisted that I wanted the wheel replaced - as is my right - as a wheel that could be so out of shape after 300 miles was clearly faulty and that I did not want to risk having it sent back to me only to have to send it back to them again when the issue re-appeared!

Another week later, having told them if they couldn't replace like for like then they should replace for a wheel of similar value / quality, they finally agreed but only if I sent the front wheel back to them! I duly obliged. Another 3 or 4 days later and still nothing from them so I had to write to them again - phoning is not an option as you will sit on hold waiting for your call to be answered for at least 30 minutes - I had to threaten to take them to the small claims court before I finally got a resolution. 3 and a half weeks after the issue happened, I finally received a pair of wheels from them - Fulcrum Racing Quattro LG - which have had tyres fitted and new inner tubes as the valve on the ones I had were too small for the deeper section and everything has been fitted to the bike. Unfortunately it's been too wet since then to use the bike and I'm still using the old one which has been fully 'winterised'! Fundamentally, I think the bike is great, it's just had a few little niggles which have been compounded by Ribble's ineptitude!

To put Ribble's poor service in to perspective, the rear wheel on the other bike threw a spoke on a Sunday morning - it was a cheap wheel [shimano R501] and had done about 3.5k miles so not a great surprise. I decided not to mess around with the wheel in terms of a repair as it would not have been economical, so ordered a new one from Wiggle on the Sunday afternoon which was delivered on the Tuesday morning, fitted to the bike the same day and out on the road on the Tuesday afternoon!

Pretty sure which online retailer will be getting my money from now on - although I've not tried Evans or any others yet so any recommendations???

The new bike has been mothballed until we get better / drier weather!

It's only done 300 miles so a little difficult to tell what it's like! Initially there was an issue with the Di2 and it had to be sent back. Then the rear wheel - Mavic Aksium - turned into an egg with loose spokes all over the place, wobbling laterally as well as vertically. Unfortunately, Ribble are not really switched on in the same way that Wiggle are. Wiggle would have said to take the wheel to the local bike shop to get re-trued and they would refund the cost. Ribble ordered me to send the wheel back to them which I did, stating that I wanted it replaced. A week later they got back to me to say they didn't have any Mavic Aksium's in stock to replace it with but not to worry as they had been in touch with Mavic and they had said it would be fine to increase the spoke tension. I insisted that I wanted the wheel replaced - as is my right - as a wheel that could be so out of shape after 300 miles was clearly faulty and that I did not want to risk having it sent back to me only to have to send it back to them again when the issue re-appeared!

Another week later, having told them if they couldn't replace like for like then they should replace for a wheel of similar value / quality, they finally agreed but only if I sent the front wheel back to them! I duly obliged. Another 3 or 4 days later and still nothing from them so I had to write to them again - phoning is not an option as you will sit on hold waiting for your call to be answered for at least 30 minutes - I had to threaten to take them to the small claims court before I finally got a resolution. 3 and a half weeks after the issue happened, I finally received a pair of wheels from them - Fulcrum Racing Quattro LG - which have had tyres fitted and new inner tubes as the valve on the ones I had were too small for the deeper section and everything has been fitted to the bike. Unfortunately it's been too wet since then to use the bike and I'm still using the old one which has been fully 'winterised'! Fundamentally, I think the bike is great, it's just had a few little niggles which have been compounded by Ribble's ineptitude!

To put Ribble's poor service in to perspective, the rear wheel on the other bike threw a spoke on a Sunday morning - it was a cheap wheel [shimano R501] and had done about 3.5k miles so not a great surprise. I decided not to mess around with the wheel in terms of a repair as it would not have been economical, so ordered a new one from Wiggle on the Sunday afternoon which was delivered on the Tuesday morning, fitted to the bike the same day and out on the road on the Tuesday afternoon!

Pretty sure which online retailer will be getting my money from now on - although I've not tried Evans or any others yet so any recommendations???

TBH, Ribble have always had a shocking reputation for customer services. My mate bought one, went to collect it. It was the wrong colour, wrong group set and wrong wheels and they raised merry hell saying it was his fault etc. Had to fight for a refund. In the end he got a better bike from Planet X.

Ouch WSS - doesn't sound good.

I always get my bikes from a LBS that is not part of a chain out here (A1 Cycling). They are excellent and they provide a lifetime tuneup service at no charge if you buy a bike from them. That way I get the bike tuned up SPring and Fall (Autumn) and am all set to go.

We have some great LBS's here - the Green Lizard is another great one where we can get beer and cake after a ride as well as buy new toys.

Ouch WSS - doesn't sound good.

I always get my bikes from a LBS that is not part of a chain out here (A1 Cycling). They are excellent and they provide a lifetime tuneup service at no charge if you buy a bike from them. That way I get the bike tuned up SPring and Fall (Autumn) and am all set to go.

We have some great LBS's here - the Green Lizard is another great one where we can get beer and cake after a ride as well as buy new toys.

I'll only use LBS as well for the actual bikes. I ride out of one of ours and they'll do any tinkering FoC and there is always coffee on the go and always cake waiting on a Saturday plus a free service per year and 12% discount on everything.

For consumables though I'll buy them where I can find them for the cheapest price but I'll always the LBS to price match 1st.

As my mind turns to my next "best bike", assuming my health issues have been dealt with, I'm going to have to do some driving as there are no longer any Bianchi or Stork dealerships near by as they are currently my 1st choices, closely followed by a Ridley.