The weekend riding thread.

View From The Top

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 26/05/2021 at 19:34, badgerx16 said:

This is even worse !!! 4 riders forced to abandon due to injury, at least 27 others injured either in this crash or the one that occurred 25Km later.

Edited by badgerx16

10 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

This is even worse !!! 4 riders forced to abandon due to injury, at least 27 others injured either in this crash or the one that occurred 25Km later.

She's made such an effort to get her position at the side of the road, created a beautiful sign from waste cardboard (truly doing her bit to save the planet) and then caused tens of thousands of pounds / euros worth of damage because she was more interested in watching the camera than the bike race!

The state of some of the bikes in the aftermath I'm surprised no-one was more seriously injured!

Apparently, the tour organisers are going to sue her!  Great idea, not sure it will hold up in court, even if it did and they won, not sure they would recoup any losses!!

Edited by Weston Super Saint

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

She's made such an effort to get her position at the side of the road, created a beautiful sign from waste cardboard (truly doing her bit to save the planet) and then caused tens of thousands of pounds / euros worth of damage because she was more interested in watching the camera than the bike race!

The state of some of the bikes in the aftermath I'm surprised no-one was more seriously injured!

Apparently, the tour organisers are going to sue her!  Great idea, not sure it will hold up in court, even if it did and they won, not sure they would recoup any losses!!

They have to attempt to sue her as technically the teams might otherwise sue them for not properly managing the stage.

24 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

They have to attempt to sue her as technically the teams might otherwise sue them for not properly managing the stage.

To be fair, the teams could potentially have a legitimate claim against the organisers depending on what is written in the t&c's they've all agreed and the safety of the participants.

The organisers haven't got a hope in hell of suing the woman involved.  She didn't buy a ticket, didn't agree to any t&c's, would not have received any sort of safety briefing.  She was effectively a member of public standing on the side of a public road.  More chance of a snowball surviving a heatwave!

19 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

To be fair, the teams could potentially have a legitimate claim against the organisers depending on what is written in the t&c's they've all agreed and the safety of the participants.

The organisers haven't got a hope in hell of suing the woman involved.  She didn't buy a ticket, didn't agree to any t&c's, would not have received any sort of safety briefing.  She was effectively a member of public standing on the side of a public road.  More chance of a snowball surviving a heatwave!

French law, so God only knows.

9 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

French law, so God only knows.

Mad as a box of French frogs!!

Police say they are trying to trace a spectator in connection with a multi-rider pile-up during the first stage of the Tour de France on Saturday.

They aim to charge the woman with "deliberately violating safety regulations and causing injuries that might prevent someone working for up to three months".

I'm no expert on French law but that looks like an 'employment' / health and safety at work law.  I guess they'd have to prove she knew what the safety regulations were and also that her actions were a deliberate violation of them!

10 hours ago, Winnersaint said:

Well that was written in the stars! Cav rolling back the years. Unbelievable.

He has a chance tomorrow too. I absolutely love the guy, really hope he can win another stage.

Such a mad race so far that today was quite strange in it's normality (apart from Pogacar probably overachieving)

14 hours ago, The Cat said:

He has a chance tomorrow too. I absolutely love the guy, really hope he can win another stage.

Such a mad race so far that today was quite strange in it's normality (apart from Pogacar probably overachieving)

Not casting too many 'nasturtiums' about Pogacar, but! Anyway, back to Cav. He's won here in Chateauroux before in 2008 and 2011 so wouldn't back against him today. 

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Lawsuit withdrawn - I guess they've realised they haven't got a case!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57677393

The race organisers have withdrawn their complaint, the Police haven't. She is due in court in October, and Marc Soler is considering a personal suit.

Edited by badgerx16

On 30/06/2021 at 21:49, The Cat said:

More 'overachieving' from Pogacar again today ;) 

Completely destroyed the field on two Cat 1 climbs and did the Col de la Colombiere in the big ring!

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

More 'overachieving' from Pogacar again today ;) 

Completely destroyed the field on two Cat 1 climbs and did the Col de la Colombiere in the big ring!

That was a Froome at the Giro style ride where he just blew everyone away. I was glad Teuns held on to win the stage.

Not sure what anyone else can do other than push him off! The only way he can lose now is with a bad crash.

4 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

33! Wow!

Didn't think he would be suited to this stage!

The 'Wolfpack' is something special this year!

Deceuninck doing their best HTC Highroad impression. Cav's post race interview "I only had to ride for 150 metres".

Amazing lead out. None of the other teams had the numbers to do anything. If he breaks the record on the Champs Elysees I fear that Carlton Kirby might explode.

Double Ventoux tomorrow, going to have to work from home I think. 

2 hours ago, The Cat said:

Amazing lead out. None of the other teams had the numbers to do anything. If he breaks the record on the Champs Elysees I fear that Carlton Kirby might explode.

Double Ventoux tomorrow, going to have to work from home I think. 

Don't think he'll find it quite as easy as this though...Tony Martin --> George Hincapie --> Mark Renshaw --> Mark Cavendish. Simples !!!

Edited by badgerx16

Nice to see Cav remove his helmet in salute to Tommy Simpson as he went past the memorial on the first ascent of "the giant of Provence".

And how relieved will Soren Kragh Anderson be to get inside the cut off by 3 seconds.

On 08/07/2021 at 09:08, badgerx16 said:

And how relieved will Soren Kragh Anderson be to get inside the cut off by 3 seconds.

Not having a good couple of days - went 20 ft down into the undergrowth on a slope off the side of the road today.

• 2 weeks later...

I am just starting a rebuild of 2 old Raleigh road frames; one will stay a road bike, the other will be set up as a gravel bike, and I am casting around for the various components required. This is turning out top be a bit of a chore as no dealer seems to have enough stock to provide more than 2 of the components needed, quite a lot are reporting out of stock, but I have managed to draw up the shopping list.

Whilst I appreciate the current situation, with the pandemic ( or scamdemic for some ) affecting supplies, and Brexit meaning that almost all European shops and dealers are no longer shipping to the UK, I did find that one UK dealer who reported that the item I was looking for should be with their distributor on 7th November 2022 was pushing their luck.

Edited by badgerx16

The downhills make the uphills worthwhile;

Today's tour of the Trough of Bowland.......Max elevation 298m, total gain 829m.

image.thumb.png.825da572f094b96a321a63018696bdd0.png

( The arthritis im ny knee will certainly have it's revenge tomorrow ).

Edited by badgerx16

10 hours ago, Turkish said:

Middle aged men in Lycra, what’s not to like on this thread 🙄

Considering I get free prescriptions and if I lived in London would have free travel, I'm happy to be described as middle aged. At least I can get up and down those hills on my bike, many younger that couldn't.

• 1 month later...
On 26/07/2021 at 09:03, badgerx16 said:

Considering I get free prescriptions and if I lived in London would have free travel, I'm happy to be described as middle aged. At least I can get up and down those hills on my bike, many younger that couldn't.

Same with me! I manged to bag this one a few months before I was 60.

Abopve bend 9.PNG

Ever set out on a 55 mile ride, and after 54 miles found yourself stood next to a bike with a broken chain, with blood running down your face from your ear, thinking you may have done your collar bone, then ringing your wife, ( luckily the phone wasn't damaged ), and saying "I think I've come off, where am I ?". The last thing you can remember is a point about half a mile before the spot where you are standing, and when you take your helmet off there is a big ding in it. When you get home you find a row of tears across the back of the shoulders of your jersey.

After spending almost all night in A&E I still have no idea what happened, still no recollection of that "lost" half mile, but al least the multi coloured bruising covering my left shoulder isn't hiding any broken bones, and given the number of tests the hospital did I have a clean bill of health, ( other than a stiff back, the torn ear, and the bruises ). Just grateful that it was on the sea wall and didn't happen on a main road.

Oh well, time to buy a new skid lid.

9 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Ever set out on a 55 mile ride, and after 54 miles found yourself stood next to a bike with a broken chain, with blood running down your face from your ear, thinking you may have done your collar bone, then ringing your wife, ( luckily the phone wasn't damaged ), and saying "I think I've come off, where am I ?". The last thing you can remember is a point about half a mile before the spot where you are standing, and when you take your helmet off there is a big ding in it. When you get home you find a row of tears across the back of the shoulders of your jersey.

After spending almost all night in A&E I still have no idea what happened, still no recollection of that "lost" half mile, but al least the multi coloured bruising covering my left shoulder isn't hiding any broken bones, and given the number of tests the hospital did I have a clean bill of health, ( other than a stiff back, the torn ear, and the bruises ). Just grateful that it was on the sea wall and didn't happen on a main road.

Oh well, time to buy a new skid lid.

Get well soon!

On the sea wall it's unlikely to be a car that hit you and drove off - probably a pissed off seagull!

Just checked out the bike and luckily I'm in worse condition than it is. Retrued the front wheel, checked the forks ( carbon ) but they seem sound apart from paint chips. It will need a new front derailleur cable and a new big chainring - four teeth have bent about 7mm inwards.

EDIT: Just uploaded the GPS track to STRAVA; there is a 38 minute difference between the "moving time" and the "elapsed time". Allowing for traffic issues, stopping for a quick feed, and phoning my wife I can probably account for about 8 minutes of that.

OUCH !!!!!

Edited by badgerx16

• 2 weeks later...

Having finished fixing the crashed bike yesterday I took it out today for a spin today, including the last leg along the sea wall. The bike didn't seem to have any psycological issues passing the point where we had our "off", so all well and good. As for me, I still have some bruising on my shoulder, my back is still stiff, and I have not recovered any memory of the crash. Probably just as well.

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/07/2021 at 16:08, Weston Super Saint said:

Lawsuit withdrawn - I guess they've realised they haven't got a case!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57677393

On 02/07/2021 at 17:49, badgerx16 said:

The race organisers have withdrawn their complaint, the Police haven't. She is due in court in October, and Marc Soler is considering a personal suit.

She is in criminal court on Thursday. Facing a €15k fine and possibly a year in jail.

Edited by badgerx16