The weekend riding thread.

View From The Top

Meanwhile, in the UK;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-58892191

"Police have warned that thieves carrying machetes have been targeting cyclists in London's Richmond Park.

There have been three high-end bike thefts in the west London park this week. including an attack on a professional cyclist.

Alexandar Richardson, 31, was ambushed by four masked men with machetes who forced him to hand over his £10,000 bicycle.

Police have stepped up patrols after at least two more robberies in the area."

21 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

She is in criminal court on Thursday. Facing a €15k fine and possibly a year in jail.

The mens cycling union is also suing her for €1 - which is apparently 'symbolic' but they will have the right to ask for damages should they be succesful which could be expensive....

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/10/the-cpa-is-suing-the-opi-omi-tour-de-france-spectator-for-e1/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

At last I got my bike back. 

Back in July I was pretty fit and enjoying my riding. I have now been out once since the start of April. 

My Rose bike (which I still swear now have some of the best bang for your buck in terms of set up), started creaking around 2 thirds of a ride out in July. I went through the whole routine while being followed by some of our riding group, 2 riders behind one at the side and 2 in front home trying to work out what was causing it. Managed to get home and I popped it on my turbo and started putting pressure on certain areas while peddling, then it was quite clear that the frame had cracked near the seat post area. The noise this causes through the carbon frame is very loud. 

So I contacted Rose bikes immediately and find out to my relief that it is under warranty and the frame should not have cracked, which I knew. Now this is where the problems started. It is under warranty, but they are not shipping to the UK because of the new shipping costs under Brexit. So they say I can go out and get the biked remade. Of course the expense of taking the bike to and from Germany and the time, this option is not possible. I tell them that they have admitted liability for the frame so what is their solution. They stand firm over Brexit, so I offer to pay the extra to ship the parts required (the frame and bits) or they send me the money so I can buy a new frame. They decide come September that they will pay to ship but I need to pay £55, which in the scheme of things is fine, so I pay. 2 weeks later no update, so I go back to them. Oh sorry we do not have my payment. I send the details to prove to them it was paid 2 weeks ago. They come back in a few days and explain that they do not do the white frame any longer and only have it in black or red. So red I choose, but refuse to have to pay for the forks I will need or I will have a bike that does not match! A few more weeks pass and they agree to ship the forks with frame at no extra cost, but they need to wait for some of the parts and as they come from a 3rd party they cannot say when. This was the start of. November. I hear nothing else and get on with planning for Christmas, and the first week of December I get an email saying the bike has left and it is being shipped. I get the bike a week before Christmas and it is booked in and built in 2 day. That’s another £150. 

The day I have it home and ready to ride it snows up here in Carlisle 😂 

Now let’s hope to get back on it in 2022! 

C6C8A24C-8FF0-412D-B2B7-4744D0000CD7.jpeg

124DCD9D-E1E8-4B6F-8BB1-E71255B4A6ED.jpeg

Ahh Brexit the gift that keeps on giving! Sums up in one post the absolute stupidity of the whole exercise, with Johnson held by the short and curlies by the fascist wing of the Tory Party. Nice bike though, as you say great bang for bucks. Pleased for you that you've got it back. Ride safe and strong in 2022.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Weston Super Saint said:

It's always a Westerley, so I can get the advantage at the start of the ride and then have to slog back into it for the rest of the day!

If it's the same down your way as it is up here, you can set off with a head wind, turn around, and find you have still got a head wind.

• 2 months later...
On 02/05/2022 at 20:38, badgerx16 said:

Cav unlikely to go to the Tour De France, going to the Giro instead. Looks like he won't get his stage wins record after all.

Sneaky suspicion he's still going to go to TdF but be very strategic about targetting a stage or two to give him the record.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else having an issue with Strava (if you use it)?

Todays ride, Strava added on over 2 minutes of 'moving time' compared to Garmin.  The ride was recorded on a Garmin device, uploaded to Garmin servers and then linked to Strava, so effectively, Strava should replicate the details that it's been given from Garmin.  Not sure why it has decided to randomly add time on - has been doing it to some degree for the past four or five weeks.

Edit - just checked, looks like I've had an update to Strava and been given the new "Alex Ferguson" version 😉

Edited by Weston Super Saint

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/05/2022 at 12:43, Weston Super Saint said:

Anyone else having an issue with Strava (if you use it)?

Todays ride, Strava added on over 2 minutes of 'moving time' compared to Garmin.  The ride was recorded on a Garmin device, uploaded to Garmin servers and then linked to Strava, so effectively, Strava should replicate the details that it's been given from Garmin.  Not sure why it has decided to randomly add time on - has been doing it to some degree for the past four or five weeks.

Edit - just checked, looks like I've had an update to Strava and been given the new "Alex Ferguson" version 😉

I did a ride today and comparing my 2 computers the STRAVA app on my phone gave me slightly more altitude gained but 1 mile shorter on the total distance, as compared to my GPS computer - the recorded times were both correct.

On 29/05/2022 at 18:58, badgerx16 said:

I did a ride today and comparing my 2 computers the STRAVA app on my phone gave me slightly more altitude gained but 1 mile shorter on the total distance, as compared to my GPS computer - the recorded times were both correct.

Still the same issue for me.  Strava adds on time compared to Garmin from which it gets its data!  The 'split' times are always exactly the same (I have the Garmin set to auto lap every five miles), so in theory the 'total' time should be the same, but for some reason they aren't.  The famous Strava algorithm is clearly too complicated to be able to add upp split times correctly :mcinnes:  

The distance is exactly the same for both Garmin and Strava so at least it gets that right.

Your issue is more easily explained - two devices are always likely to give two slightly different readings (although 1 mile out is odd!), due to the way they connect to GPS and how efficient they are at keeping hold of the signal.  Altitude will vary, especially if one device has an altimeter and even more so if you live close to the sea due to the rise and fall in tide heights over your ride.  

I contacted Strava about this - having read their article about 'interpreting GPS data differently' and they have come back to say that they actually don't class being stopped as being stopped!!

They've basically said that if you aren't stopped for more than 15 seconds, then it doesn't count (in their 'algorithm'!).  Not sure about you but I've had many rides (especially along Weston Sea Front) when I've been stopped at the lights or had to stop for the lights, and as soon as I've stopped moving they change and I'm off again.  When that frequently happens with at least 4 of the lights out of 6 on the sea front, you can see where a minute or more of additional time can be added on by Strava.

• 4 weeks later...

I like the way that the organisers of the TdF have contrived to find hillocks sufficiently high to register for KoM points on the stages in Denmark - yesterday the crest of the highest hill was 80m above sea level, ( and they got to over 70m as they crossed the suspension bridge ), and today's is 64m. In total over the 2 days there are 6 "cat 4" climbs with 1 point available on eack of them.

Edited by badgerx16

On 08/07/2022 at 08:41, badgerx16 said:

Got the Manchester to Blackpool charity ride on Sunday; the distance isn't a problem getting up at 4:00am will be.

When told we had finished, our grandson was confused as to why the riders in the TdF were still going.

Bloody warm in Blackpool at the finish.

One chap did the ride on a penny-farthing, another on an original Raleigh Chopper.

Edited by badgerx16

Followed Pidcock’s progress for a while now. Thought the was due a grand tour breakthrough. As he said himself, it wasn’t bad. Watching his descending is like watching Moto GP. I’m not the greatest descender but  I’ve done the Telegraphe and Glandon/Croix de Fer and they are proper long and scary simply because you  are either gaining speed or holding speed and then gaining it again. Also didn’t have benefit of closed roads so is a different ball game to the pros, but nevertheless impressive stuff.

Edited by Winnersaint

• 5 weeks later...

Reading some of the comments on social media that accompanied this made me laugh. With each bike sale the purchaser has to buy a high viz tabard with a number plate on the back that is visible a all times. Another was selling GPS training thingies that make blokes look like they’re in bras. Use them to track speeding cyclists. Then there’s the old get them to pay road tax, which I believe went out in 1937. Why don’t people get that VED is based currently on emissions so cyclists like EVs are exempt. Right I’m off out to pretend I’m riding in the Vuelta in my Lycra. I’ll jump a few red lights on the way and generally cycle like a twat just to fulfil the lame stereotype

On 17/08/2022 at 08:48, badgerx16 said:

As per the front page of the Daily Fail; I hope you are prepared to have registration plates affixed to your velocipedes so that you can be identified when speeding or jumping red lights.

Another ill thought out statement from a mong in Government.

Thinking it through, it doesn't just stop at registration plates or hi-vis tabbards.  How will a cyclist know that they are speeding in the first place - every bike would need to be fitted with a calibrated speedometer that would need to be checked at various (yearly??) intervals.  Is there any insurance company in the world that will insure a 10 year old riding a bike to school - is it even legal for insurance to be sold to minors?

56 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Another ill thought out statement from a mong in Government.

Thinking it through, it doesn't just stop at registration plates or hi-vis tabbards.  How will a cyclist know that they are speeding in the first place - every bike would need to be fitted with a calibrated speedometer that would need to be checked at various (yearly??) intervals.  Is there any insurance company in the world that will insure a 10 year old riding a bike to school - is it even legal for insurance to be sold to minors?

Surely bikes would need to MOT'd to ensure they are road safe for insurance companies to accept the risk.

( That being said, we have a policy that covers the household, ( 3 adults ) ).

Edited by badgerx16

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Probably in the cities that's about right.  Where I live and ride, I'd say it's probably more like one in 30 that are morons.  Get out on the country lanes and people are far more accomodating!

I think it was a survey of BMW and Range Rover drivers.

• 6 months later...

The latest edition of "Scripts too far fetched for Hollywood";

Halfway up the mountain on the penultimate stage of the Giro, an individual time trial, Primosz Roglic had just taken the "virtual" lead from Geraint Thomas when his chain unshipped. He stopped to put the chain back on and a helpful fan gave him a push start back up the hill.

This fan was in fact his former room mate on the Slovenian junior ski jump team, who alongside Roglic had won gold at the World junior championships, in the very Italian resort the ITT was taking place in.

Edited by badgerx16

• 4 months later...

Wiggle / Chain Reaction Cycles possibly going into administration after the holding company that owns them withdraws funding, as the Austrian billionaire at the helm needs the money to prop up his failing property business.

Mike Ashley, who already owns Evans Cycles and ProBikeKit, is waiting in the wings.

Edited by badgerx16