The weekend riding thread.

View From The Top

13 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Never had a problem with with a sore arse - well up to three hours is fine anyway!  My biggest issue has been protecting my dodgy knees.  I think / hope I've cracked it now with a spacing of 79cm from the centre of the bottom brcket to the top of the seat.  Been set up like that for two weeks now on the summer and winter bikes (winter bike has been in demand throughout July!) and so far so good!

I'm the same, set it up 'correctly' then drop the saddle by an inch.

13 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Never had a problem with with a sore arse - well up to three hours is fine anyway!  My biggest issue has been protecting my dodgy knees.  I think / hope I've cracked it now with a spacing of 79cm from the centre of the bottom brcket to the top of the seat.  Been set up like that for two weeks now on the summer and winter bikes (winter bike has been in demand throughout July!) and so far so good!

The Merckx is set up perfectly but the winter Bianchi is a different geometry, more sportive than racing snake, plus the seat post is stuck tight. I may invest in a new winter frame and just strip all the components off the existing one.

For saddles I've gone from a Fizik Alinate to a PRO Falcon. Getting it in the ideal position has been a challenge and going out to do a century without getting it dialled in was, literally, a pain in the arse.

Did a faster 100km yesterday which meant more time in the drops, which the shoulder complains about, and it felt far more comfortable. Riding on the tops, to alleviate pressure on the shoulder meant too much pressure on my sit bones and with the saddle not in the right position, that meant trouble. 

• 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, View From The Top said:

This hot weather is too much for me. Had to bail out at 80km yesterday as I was melting, as was the road, literally. 

My northern European constitution isn't built for anything above the mid-20s C.

Was planning on 50K ride yesterday but never materialised. Went in garage and did part of 2014 TdF stage 1 on Rouvy up and over Kidstones but baled after 23. The fan wasn't strong enough. Riding atm is a bit hit and miss. The weeks like last week when my wife has her chemo are a bit awkward to get out and  the heat this week hasn't helped either.

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this - awesome thread. I'm going out later this afternoon for an hour or so to get the calves working again (been too busy at work laterly and couldn't be arsed). I'm involved in organising a UCI accredited bike event in Pamerston North in January. Called the Gravel and Tar (combination of road and off-road unpaved racing but not cross-country mountain biking). Apparently this is  or could be the next big thing in bike racing. We had some international riders last year but this year will probably be different the way things are going. A lot of work to organise but definitely worth it. 

On 29/08/2020 at 03:21, Jeremy said:

Just found this - awesome thread. I'm going out later this afternoon for an hour or so to get the calves working again (been too busy at work laterly and couldn't be arsed). I'm involved in organising a UCI accredited bike event in Pamerston North in January. Called the Gravel and Tar (combination of road and off-road unpaved racing but not cross-country mountain biking). Apparently this is  or could be the next big thing in bike racing. We had some international riders last year but this year will probably be different the way things are going. A lot of work to organise but definitely worth it. 

If you go near Fielding, steer clear of my SiL's house on Halcombe Road.

On 29/08/2020 at 03:21, Jeremy said:

It'll never catch on ;)

https://www.strade-bianche.it/en/

• 1 month later...

Went for a ride today up some climbs I hadn't done before. Got home and found that the steepest climb is a STRAVA segment called the Death Wall ! Mind you, part of the descent was a straight road nearly 1.5Km long, downhill all the way 🙂

Edited by badgerx16

21 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Went for a ride today up some climbs I hadn't done before. Got home and found that the steepest climb is a STRAVA segment called the Death Wall ! Mind you, part of the descent was a straight road nearly 1.5Km long, downhill all the way 🙂

You on Strava?

14 minutes ago, View From The Top said:
l1dUG0esofnzdJjZnEKHaORJCs6E35OWP8Hgbl-yoEcAcYoJ6KZB5c8gY_I4TYzPyMRWE4DpunOM_GcHY1NQQfSFRDr2TuHPk7Lis0VYWsIFVIFhY-PYmiqIS0YpKW_j8lUNWm4oqCYl4o73y549DQ09jm_4jYXxwizXVjfKqGfsSpioGhEyKAQWwrrdgihYZ1e8N0zeDBLXIerHzCku5lJzgTQYEJAfEVASW1bCUpY8ZfOosz88wOStdz1bGk471WmnqQQOKnatWw9UhQVRXFLur_8lmls9h0EVS16Zy1OSnui1hUd_eYEYIlPtjoCAzNdZ8M4WXuoKs66UKcJPVa38xd14qI6KreyqGUBwdR06o8boP1cwCFAQ7-tGB79qiLg_vNwzdGOfGucrT7oor_V27FKKEetYYatlSf0rjwdTcrYzQbYYyC5oGa12qwF_K539FmARELSJBn2rT_wmiI4AeS8xv_vGaMFVcCCiJuMCI66b4RAcE4coZUsC6jMTAX9X5oK5T_7lWiSrvbKitwRfUeWL0vxtyw81BH00J4FGShWeykI12PIhFwVQoKvxd9-5Kvxe06aIjadf-FwPquQHlB1sHsPrUEQmBCLUWfUl18SMFT0-y9s-92RgKWCy6foyk8gmkFv6WQfqhRi3qEYpZD9uXpI-zYabC7HW7nW1AB-HINBVzEPFqctVKA=w353-h625-no?authuser=0

Derbyshire.

Always a tough day out.

Nobody forces you. 😉

There is a local road to me that leads up towards the Trough of Bowland, and goes through Abbeystead, a classic single road village - in one side and out the other. The only issue is that it sits in a valley, and each way is 20%.

The road I went up on Friday is little more than a tarmac'd farm track, so doesn't even qualify for signs.

Edited by badgerx16

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

Nobody forces you. 😉

There is a local road to me that leads up towards the Trough of Bowland, and goes through Abbeystead, a classic single road village - in one side and out the other. The only issue is that it sits in a valley, and each way is 20%.

The road I went up on Friday is little more than a tarmac'd farm track, so doesn't even qualify for signs.

Winksworth is like that. Every way in/out is at least 20%. We went around the head of the valley to avoid it!

The 25% didn't even flash up on my Garmin as a climb, nor did a 15%er 20 miles later that broke one of the lads I ride with.

We take it in times to do the routes and this was my turn. I want hilly without being OTT to keep my 2 "larger" mates happy. They are both confirmed hill dodgers.

It was the cold and rain that did it for me. It started drizzling at 30miles and by 80miles I had frozen hands, I didn't have my "good" gloves on as no rain was forecast. 

That's the summer bike washed and lubed and ready for the turbo. Winter hack from today onwards.

Edited by View From The Top

25 minutes ago, View From The Top said:

Winksworth is like that. Every way in/out is at least 20%. We went around the head of the valley to avoid it!

The 25% didn't even flash up on my Garmin as a climb, nor did a 15%er 20 miles later that broke one of the lads I ride with.

We take it in times to do the routes and this was my turn. I want hilly without being OTT to keep my 2 "larger" mates happy. They are both confirmed high dodgers.

It was the cold and rain that did it for me. It started drizzling at 30miles and by 80miles I had frozen hands, I didn't have my "good" gloves on as no rain was forecast. 

That's the summer bike washed and lubed and ready for the turbo. Winter hack from today onwards.

Keep safe.

On 22/10/2020 at 13:23, badgerx16 said:

The Giro is  going over the Stelvio today, despite the pass being officially closed. 🤥

It was only closed because the tour was going over it.

I rode it last year. Up from Bormio, down to Prato, round into Switzerland, up from Santa Maria and then back down to Prato and finishing up Cancanno. 

One of the best days on a bike ever.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, View From The Top said:

In quarantine so Rouvy (trial) today (meh), some RGT (free) tomorrow and then perhaps some Zwift (free 25km).

Hate using the turbo this side of NY.

Been using Rouvy for a few years now. Visually, and from a cycling point of view way more realistic speeds than Zwift. Been doing some of the Ironman courses. Great videos and quite varied too. I've been confined to the garage since my wife has been in the ECV category. She's likely to be there for a few months more as she's about to embark on SABR radiotherapy in the new year to remove two lung mets, and then fingers crossed shell be restaged and watch and wait. 

8 hours ago, Winnersaint said:

Been using Rouvy for a few years now. Visually, and from a cycling point of view way more realistic speeds than Zwift. Been doing some of the Ironman courses. Great videos and quite varied too. I've been confined to the garage since my wife has been in the ECV category. She's likely to be there for a few months more as she's about to embark on SABR radiotherapy in the new year to remove two lung mets, and then fingers crossed shell be restaged and watch and wait. 

Going to ride the Malibu course tomorrow.

Rode in the country north of Santa Barbara today. It was decent and the turbo responded really well to the gradient changes.

Fingers crossed for your Mrs.

14 hours ago, View From The Top said:

Going to ride the Malibu course tomorrow.

Rode in the country north of Santa Barbara today. It was decent and the turbo responded really well to the gradient changes.

Fingers crossed for your Mrs.

Cheers for that. Hopeful. Took a look at that Malibu video. Not only a good video, but a spectacular looking ride. This is one of mine I put on Rouvy. Last time I rode it the sync was a bit off but the experts on such things claim its because I ride so slowly. Anyway here are the Lacets de Montvernier. https://my.rouvy.com/virtual-routes/detail/36277 Worth a try, if it behaves itself. May need to do some more work on it over Xmas and then re-load. 

https://my.rouvy.com/virtual-routes/detail/31273

https://my.rouvy.com/virtual-routes/detail/31496

https://my.rouvy.com/virtual-routes/detail/35899

These are three more I've put on. Each a bit quirky with regards to syncing gradients with video but works in progress. first two are south Wales and the third one is a local route including a 10 mile TT course.

4 hours ago, View From The Top said:

Anyone Wiltshire way know if Stonehenge can be accessed by a road bike without using the A303?

Coming from which direction ? Looking on mapping systems, from Bath / Trowbridge / Devizes you can come down the A360 to get to the visitor centre. From a more northerly direction you could find your way to the B3086, which stops at the vistor centre. Other than that it looks like you have to at least negotiate a roundabout as the A360 crosses it.

Edited by badgerx16

5 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Coming from which direction ? Looking on mapping systems, from Bath / Trowbridge / Devizes you can come down the A360 to get to the visitor centre. From a more northerly direction you could find your way to the B3086, which stops at the vistor centre. Other than that it looks like you have to at least negotiate a roundabout as the A360 crosses it.

https://www.strava.com/routes/2774652912027772028

2 hours ago, View From The Top said:

If I was doing that I would go as far as Bulford, ( just before Amesbury ), then turn right ( West ), and head past Larkhill camp. It's a little over 4 miles to a right turn onto the B3086 which brings you direct to the visitor centre.

The bigger problem would be getting back to your route. As far as I can see you can either reverse the above track, or from the vistor centre take the A360 southbound and cut across to the Woodfords. That does, however, mean negotiating the Longbarrow roundabout as the A360 crosses the A303.

Edited by badgerx16

10 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

If I was doing that I would go as far as Bulford, ( just before Amesbury ), then turn right ( West ), and head past Larkhill camp. It's a little over 4 miles to a right turn onto the B3086 which brings you direct to the visitor centre.

The bigger problem would be getting back to your route. As far as I can see you can either reverse the above track, or from the vistor centre take the A360 southbound and cut across to the Woodfords. That does, however, mean negotiating the Longbarrow roundabout as the A360 crosses the A303.

We may skip it then. 

Long enough day out without detours and the A303 on a summer Saturday.

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, View From The Top said:

About 3000km skinny than a normal year due to a big CBA in Feb and a shit driving coffin dodger in May.

Around 35,000m short too as I've been mainly riding with a flat earther but the previous couple of years have had Mallorca, Alps and Dolomites which upped the vertical.

download.png

Well that's more than double what I've managed although I did manage to tidy up the year on Zwift yesterday and go over 5200km mark. Took average weekly to over 100km/ week plus a little bit more for the leap year day, Only 22 rides outside during entire year; I've certainly got great use out of the Direto. Hope to ride out more this year once know more about wife's heath going forward. 

Took me ages to clean the winter bike on Friday after the Festive 500, it was utterly gopping.

The plan was to do a solo century today as the forecast was cold but bright. Got all the kit ready, bike set up, lights charged etc.

My Mrs was up before me as she had to drive down to Kiddy to collect something. I got up, showered and she walked in the bedroom and said "it's snowing".

She was right, it snowed for another 2hrs FFS.

So much for the Met Office app.

100miles will become 100km tomorrow instead hopefully.

You didn't miss much, it was pretty grim out there!!!

I waited about 2 hours longer than normal to head out to allow the ice on the roads to melt - still some twitchy moments even staying within a couple of miles of the sea!

Got home just as it started raining / sleeting.  Forecast is better for tomorrow and shouldn't be icy.

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

You didn't miss much, it was pretty grim out there!!!

I waited about 2 hours longer than normal to head out to allow the ice on the roads to melt - still some twitchy moments even staying within a couple of miles of the sea!

Got home just as it started raining / sleeting.  Forecast is better for tomorrow and shouldn't be icy.

Snowing again here. Heavily. 

I may have to crack the turbo out and subscribe to Sufferfest and start the training a bit earlier than planned.

30 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Good luck - I'd rather risk a limb or two than sit on the turbo! Mind numbing!

As a rule I would but TBF to Sufferfest, they're brutal but enjoyable workouts due to the way they're cut into UCI race coverage.

The usually have me bob on for the early spring racing. Not that I anticipate any of that happening this year.

• 1 month later...

Been using Rouvy as the weather up here has been appalling for weeks.

Only doing very lumpy routes or, ideally, the big climbs as it's good training plus I'm limited to the 34 ring ATM.

Well impressed with it so far, the changes in gradient are very good and instantaneous.  

I can easily bang out hours on it, which amazes me as usually after an hour on the turbo I'm ready to open my wrists. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/02/2021 at 21:21, View From The Top said:

Been using Rouvy as the weather up here has been appalling for weeks.

Only doing very lumpy routes or, ideally, the big climbs as it's good training plus I'm limited to the 34 ring ATM.

Well impressed with it so far, the changes in gradient are very good and instantaneous.  

I can easily bang out hours on it, which amazes me as usually after an hour on the turbo I'm ready to open my wrists. 

I've ridden 23 times in 2021 and only 5 on Zwift all the rest on Rouvy. 3 or 4 years ago it was the other way round. Interesting to look back at data from then when I had a wheel on Kickr Snap to now on the Elite Direto and with Favero Assioma Uno pedals. Old Rouvy used to be murder as the transitions were stupid. Come down a 4% incline onto a short 2% upslope and it would momentarily be like hitting the Mur de Huy and you'd have to be sprinting to get on top of the gear. Now so much more intuitive as you say, carrying speed into short rises is so much more realistic. On a positive, hopefully heading out into big wide world this weekend.

Just the regular Gallium.  The pro frame was twice the price to save 80g, so didn't even try to justify that!

The bike build is a Frankenstein with the Di2 taken off my old Ribble bike from 2016 (the whole bike when I bought it cost about the same as a new Di2 kit now!).  Wheels, crankset, chain, cassette, brake blocks and all cabling is new, as are the handlebars and pedals.  Everything else is 'upcycled'.

Nice test ride today.  Couple of niggles to sort like the front derailleur needing a little adjustment and the jockey wheels squeaking.  Other than that, super comfortable, light and very stiff from the bottom bracket to the rear wheel, exactly what the 'larger' man needs ;)