The weekend riding thread.

View From The Top

Interesting ride or non ride today. Took the Ridley out instead of the R3. I had a Go-Pro Hero 4 for my birthday at the tail end of last year and wanted to do some action shooting before we head off on holiday next Friday. I set up the camera on a dual Garmin/Go-Pro handlebar mount which has the camera below bar level with nothing to interfere with the shot. It felt really great to be back on my old 'best bike' as I rattled along towards the nearby village of Hurst. Going through the centre of the village rather than staying on the B3030 you have a short climb past the church and the Castle pub at the top. (Nice pub by the way) Being a creature of habit I did what I usually do and got out of the saddle to power over what is a very short climb. As I did there was crack and a strange noise emanating from the crank area, which then turned into a disconcerting rattly type sound on the descent. Back on the flat there were no noises although I was conscious that my right foot didn't feel as if I was clipped in properly. I slowed and stopped and as I clipped out I was left with a pedal still attached to my foot but not to the bike. I rode home one legged and found that the thread inside the crank arm had basically failed. New Campag 10 spd compact crankset needed.

Blimey.

Blimey.

Indeed. I'd tried to sell the bike via a local retailer who was happy to take a slice for it putting in his second hand stock. It was reasonably priced to satisfy both parties but didn't shift, so with kind thanks for trying I took it back. The pedals had been taken off and returned to me and I re-attached them with no problem a couple of weeks ago. They were sound or so I thought but the cranks were over four years old and something must have degraded the thread inside the crank causing them it to fail. Only explanation! Pedals were taken out regularly and threads re-greased 3 or 4 times a year so not like they'd just been left and become rusted in, although retailer did admit he'd had trouble getting them off. Looks like someone's fooked up! Still at least on a day entirely unsuited to cycling, Saints won! Happy days.

I messed up.

I snapped my chain on a little climb about 4 miles from home. No drama as I have a quick link in the saddle bag so was fixed and on my way in a couple of minutes. Unfortunately I fixed it like this..

f9d09888-0209-42fe-b562-14a80ab603d2_zpsrpm9e60q.jpg

You can see I put the chain on the outside of the jockey wheel guide at the top. As it was my only link and I couldn't pull it apart I had to ride home with it all grinding away like that. Thankfully it was mostly downhill so I could coast.

We learn from our mistakes though.

Edited by Red Alert
Huge picture was huge.

Weather here in Virginia today was incredible - 60 degrees and no sign of snow! Fantastic to get outdoors after being stuck on the Turbo Trainer for a few weeks.

I had never used a turbo trainer before this year and the plans from Strava (and videos) have been fantastic. Can definitely feel the difference it has made to my fitness and looking forward to getting outdoors more.

First 2 centuries signed up for - a nice flat one in maryland (Chesapeake) first week of May and then Delaware Gran Fondo (hilly) 2 weeks later.

Really looking forward to this season - my daughters soccer team has qualified for Nationals in Denver in July - trying to sweet talk my wife in letting me take the bike out there and do Mount Evans.

Edited by washsaint

^^sounds like a good plan.

I got out yesterday for the first time since Boxing Day. I've been working insane hours recently so have struggled for time, but I've just bought the kit I need to start cycle-commuting. It's 18 miles each way so with any luck I'll start to see some improvement fairly quickly from regularly doing a few miles.

I'm sure it's from knocking it at work the other day but I started to get some pain in my knee yesterday after about 20 miles so I cut it short and limped home, I've never been completely happy with my setup of the bike some I'm booking in for a 3D retul bike fit at my LBS, hoping that'll help.

^^sounds like a good plan.

I got out yesterday for the first time since Boxing Day. I've been working insane hours recently so have struggled for time, but I've just bought the kit I need to start cycle-commuting. It's 18 miles each way so with any luck I'll start to see some improvement fairly quickly from regularly doing a few miles.

I'm sure it's from knocking it at work the other day but I started to get some pain in my knee yesterday after about 20 miles so I cut it short and limped home, I've never been completely happy with my setup of the bike some I'm booking in for a 3D retul bike fit at my LBS, hoping that'll help.

It'll be your cleats causing knee pain. Takes me ages getting cleats in the correct position on new shoes.

VFtT, that was an awesome ride you did yesterday. I have to ask though, did you get the the bottom on the Burway and decide against it or was it never in the plan?

Never in the plan, not with the my companion, it's too early in the year for him to be tackling the Burway, he's not a climber and I didn't wants to freeze my balls off at the top waiting for him. I had to ride on the front the 100km home into the wind as he was struggling which made it a slow ride, plus we stopped, which I hate doing.

Next few weekends will be in The Peaks to get some more climbing in, weather depending and I said this year was a flat/fast year!

Edited by View From The Top

• 2 weeks later...

VftT - now that we follow each other on Strava every now and then my Garmin tells me your best time up a climb. Noticed it last week with Jiggers and today again on http://www.strava.com/segments/1095125?filter=overall

I dont know if you remember it but I was just ahead up until the turn where it gets the really nasty gradient. You flew up that part and I ended up a minute down on a 5 minute climb.

Though I had a thought today. I realised it doesn't matter what Garmin is saying, ave speed, power heart rate none of that matters on a climb. If I am dripping sweat out of my helmet onto the screen of it then I am clearly working as hard as I can on that day and should be happy with the effort.

VftT - now that we follow each other on Strava every now and then my Garmin tells me your best time up a climb. Noticed it last week with Jiggers and today again on http://www.strava.com/segments/1095125?filter=overall

I dont know if you remember it but I was just ahead up until the turn where it gets the really nasty gradient. You flew up that part and I ended up a minute down on a 5 minute climb.

Though I had a thought today. I realised it doesn't matter what Garmin is saying, ave speed, power heart rate none of that matters on a climb. If I am dripping sweat out of my helmet onto the screen of it then I am clearly working as hard as I can on that day and should be happy with the effort.

Climbing is intensely personal insomuch as you can only climb at your own rate. Jiggers Bank, for example, I've probably tapped up along side my mates until it gets a bit slow then accelerated away and climbed the rest at my own tempo.

Sutton Bank I've only done twice or so as it's my usual way down into the gorge as opposed to out of it. Again I've most likely tapped up with oppos until before the 20% hairpin and again, when they've slowed I've accelerated away.

I learnt the hard way a few years ago to only climb at my own pace after blowing up in spectacular fashion chasing my mate up Star Bank. http://www.strava.com/segments/930074 Last Friday I climbed it my pace and smashed by PB effortlessly, my mate coming up 4 minutes behind me but he also set a PB.

Are you doing the "Round the Wrekin" ride in May?

Big ride in The Peaks tomorrow including Winnats Pass which is long, steep and painful. Should come in at around 200km and 3000m. Couple of gentle rides on Monday & Wednesday and then strip and clean the Merckx before heading over for the Amstel.

It was either Peak District with a group or race on Sunday but my top end speed is still missing after illness so I'll suffer in the Peaks instead.

I'm ten months in to cycling properly, over 2 stone lighter and as fit as I've been since I was about 18, but climbing gets me every time! I'm regularly overtaken up the two 'big' climbs near me but once I get to the top, dripping with sweat and coughing up a lung or two, I know I've put everything in to the climb. Besides, a glance at the HR monitor will always tell me I'm in the red and probably have been for at least three quarters of the climb, so you can't ask for more than that!

The same thought always comes in to my head when I'm overtaken, which is, 'how would they get on with a rucksack on their back with about 30kg in it?' because, frankly, that is probably the difference between these whippet like riders and me! My bet is I'd paste them up the hills :)

Just over 27 miles today, relatively flat, but managed to average 16mph which is a new record for me : https://www.strava.com/activities/539800285

Another flat one tomorrow and looking for about 35-40 miles with the same average speed.

Had an awful ride. Was struggling from the off and really should have turned around after 25km. Of course I didn't but had to bail out when doing a big Peak climb with my HR setting a new record. Phoned the Mrs to come and get me and she wouldn't as she was out with my girls at a horse show.

I had a 50km struggle home through very lumpy countryside. My Mrs made me go to the out of hours doc up at the hospital and it turns out I've got mumps so no wonder I was in bits.

So Sunday saw the Guide Dogs Tour of Berkshire. Initially I entered for the Epic 125K but half expected to only do the Classic 85K. All my training had been for the shorter distance but got in with my club group who were all doing the longer ride. I've ridden in West Berks before so knew some of the course.The first part from Burghfield Common around Sulhamstead I didn't know but we were soon on familiar territory with three stiff climbs through Bradfield and under the M4. The drag up towards Ashampstead and Compton was assisted by a tail wind before dropping down into Theo Walcott's home village via Applepie Hill. The next bit is known as the Ilsley Rollercoaster, passing through the home another famous ex-Saint Mick Channon in West Ilsley. From here we headed along the Lambourne Valley and having gone through the home of horse racing in the area we climbed out towards a large mast on the top of the hill. It was here that I got a sense of how far out we'd come as it was the huge radio/telecoms mast by Membury Services. The climb out of Lambourne towards Membury was a bit a pig. It was like a short alp at around 7-9%, but there was no respite at the top as we turned into a headwind which was there for the next 60K or so. I was on unfamiliar roads back eastwards and there were a few spiteful climbs particularly around Peasemore. After negotiating Chievely it was then negotiating traffic getting into Newbury Showground before grinding out of Hermitage and on to Mrs Cambridge's home village of Bucklebury. So by now I pretty much knew where I was. I was expecting a drop back down to the A4 but didn't reckon on the climb in Chapel Row which although short, topped out at nearly 17%. It was a ***** after 65 miles. Eventually we dropped down to the A4 near Midgham where I was able to hoover up a few more Jaffa Cakes at the last feed station, before heading up another climb to Brimpton. The climbs weren't over yet. Kicks out of Aldermaston village and by the perimeter of AWE had me chewing the handlebars once more and even then on the flat there was the ever present headwind. One more descent and 9% ascent before the finish and I was done in just over five and a half hours. Not fast, but with around 5000 feet of climbing it was a good first long ride of the season. Particular thanks to Team Boutique. Anyone looking for a cycling club in north Hampshire/Berkshire that has good riders, but really doesn't take itself too seriously should come and take part in the Saturday social rides. 14 -16 mph no-one left behind. Rides start from shop just off the A30 at Murrell Green, between Hook and Hartley Wintney.

Just occurred to me that a few of us are doing sportives, event rides and cycling abroad over the summer, so it would be good to have reports of how the things went and what it was like. My next one I think is the Evans Ride It Reading next month 60 not 90 mile so I will post a report on that. I want to do the Wiggle New Forest 100 to end the season in September.

Beautiful ride out in the countryside of Northern Virginia......Blue Ridge Challenge that while only 55 miles has over 4,000 feet of climbing including one section that averages over 7% for around 2.5 miles. Gorgeous day for it and almost zero traffic. Really lucky to have so many great rides near me and less than an hour away from the mountains. Worst part of the ride (or best depending on viewpoint) is a rally steep section where all you can see is the road going vertically up with no bends, no anything just straight up into the sky!

For anyone that hasn't done it - I really recommend a proper bike fit. Had one done when I bought my new bike last Fall (Autumn) and it has made a world of difference - particularly to my climbing. Smashing PBs by the minutes in the mountains - the bike fit and a hard winter on the turbo trainer have made a huge difference.

Really aiming to do Mount Evans in Colorado this summer - the highest paved road in the US.

Amstel Gold – All I can say is that it’s a dream of an event. We arrived teatime(ish) in Maastricht to a quality barn conversion with all mod-cons which was an easy 10km ride to Valkenburg and a 15min stroll into the town centre and the race start line.

We decided that we’d get the lycra on and spin over to Valkenburg to collect the start numbers and to check out the Cauberg. The main cycle route was being dug up for a replacement cycle flyover so once we’d sussed the detour it was a simple ride past the race and event finish line, past the camper vans which already had the BBQs going and clearly many beers had been quaffed, and down the Cauberg itself. Believe it or not this was actually the iffiest bit of the weekend as workmen were laying cables, putting up rigs etc and crash barrier legs threatened to flip us off.

Valkenburg was jumping. It was packed and the Dutch were clearly in party mood. This was clearly going to be pretty special.

We rode back via the Cauberg safe in the knowledge that we’d set PBs up it the next day, or that was the plan but for some odd reason Spencer’s Garmin didn’t record the climb so as it’s not on Strava Spencer has only officially climbed it once!

Headed back into Masstricht and the heavens opened for 5mins and we were like drowned rats which put pay plans to go and watch the football. Hot food and an early night was clearly going to be the new plan of action.

Saturday morning dawned bright and clear but breezy. Unfortunately the sunshine would be intermittent, the breeze was most definitely wind and our old friend April Showers would certainly be returning but we headed off in high spirits and were joined en-route by Pat from Melbourne who seemed a decent enough chap. A quick descent into Valkenberg and we beeped over the start sensors. This was it, Amstel Gold.

We headed out of town and straight into the first hill which we tapped out a steady rhythm as we settled in to the ride, this was followed by a straight quick downhill and a 90 degree left hander, which, despite all the signs and the marshals, Spencer decided to ignore and go straight on!

Once he re-joined me we sat on the front of our peloton tapping out a nice steady 35km/ph tempo until the next hill. As soon as the ground changed to anything other than flat our companions were off the back. To be blunt, the Dutch can’t climb (or descend for that matter). On every single incline and hill, of which there were many, everyone else seemed to be straight into their HUGE granny rings and hurting. I’d seen similar in Flanders in 2015 but this was incredibly pronounced. The looks of incredulity that we got as we chatted away as we climbed past everyone on climb after climb certainly made us feel good. The ride was through stunning countryside, in changing weather on wonderful roads with excellent riding by everyone.

After the first feedstation were started on a series of longer climbs taking us into Belgium, and briefly, Germany, which of course were followed by long flowing descents. All of this in a wooded area that was uncannily like Cannock Chase. Feedstation two was arrived at after a couple of downpours so there was no real desire to hang about and get cold but we knew the tough climbing was still to come.

We had a series of hills coming that all topped out high in the teens and the penultimate climb of the day, the Keutenberg, which kicked off at 22%.

The ride had become busier as the various routes converged and we sat behind a group of 5 fellas as 4 of them pushed their “larger” friend up a tough climb, a few more leg sappers were seen off and then there we were, in front of the Keutenberg. It was a wall.

I was feeling good, strong and at ease at went at it with gusto and flew up the left hand side calling out to slower riders to move right and weaving through those busting every sinew on this monster. A look up saw the crest 400m ahead and I flew up it and grinned stupidly at Spencer when he crested, having just avoided the unclipped big bloke that I’d dodged. It was the hardest climb I’d ever done.

Only one climb was left, the Cauberg. We headed down into the town, the Dutch again proving to us that they’re not too hot going downhill, and we swung left into the Cauberg and bang, we were at it. Both of us swung to the righthand side, outside of the conned off ride channel, and flew up as the crowds roared. Yes, crowds of people cheering you up the Cauberg!

As I went over the toughest part I slowed so Spencer and I could head under the banner together and that just left the run for the line. I opened the sprint up with 500m to go and went full gas with 200m left and it felt bloody fantastic to roll over the line with the commentator calling you name out!

Thousands and thousands of expensive bikes were just left in a field as the Dutch hit the beer tents and that was it, Amstel Gold done.

It may not have the pull of a Monument ride but 26,000 people can’t be wrong. It was, to me. More satisfying than Flanders as people were better disciplined on the climbs are the riding was less aggressive. Make no mistake, it was a hard day in the saddle but the months of hard riding in the wind and climbing hard short climb after hard short climb on ****ty roads paid off.

The Dutch clearly love this race and event and really know how to enjoy themselves and I’d ride it again in a heartbeat.

My longest ever ride today :D

Started well as I had 6 days with no cycling so legs were strong but knees started to give out after 20 miles - just in time for the climbing! - and the last 10 miles were very painful.

I'd set myself a target of getting below 20 mins for Cheddar by the end of the summer but beat it today so I'm happy with that especially with sore knees, also got into the top 10,000!!

https://www.strava.com/activities/554014009

Started well as I had 6 days with no cycling so legs were strong but knees started to give out after 20 miles - just in time for the climbing! - and the last 10 miles were very painful.

I'd set myself a target of getting below 20 mins for Cheddar by the end of the summer but beat it today so I'm happy with that especially with sore knees, also got into the top 10,000!!

Did my fastest 100km/60miler today. Average speed on 20mph+ and 8 KOMs. :D

Kudos just given. Keep going!

Keep going and keep going some more.

Some advice please :D

Having suffered my chain snapping yesterday - brand new one that I only put on on Friday! - and a puncture today [my first in 1300 miles with continental ultra sports attached] I am looking for a solution for the punctures....

I took the tyre off at the roadside and grabbed a spare tube from my seat bag and put it al back together again. I used a mini hand pump to inflate the tyre but the vigorous pumping action snapped the top off the valve on the tube. I then grabbed the punctured tube, found the tiny hole and stuck a patch over it, took the tyre off again and put it all back together again. This time the vigorous pumping - which is essential with a mini pump! - caused the top of the valve to snap off again! Fortunately the tyre was about half inflated so I limped home the last 12 miles desperately trying to avoid every stone and bump in the road to avoid the tyre exploding!

So, I am looking at getting a CO2 pump which will hopefully avoid the need for the vigorous pumping that is damaging the valves. Does anyone use one of these - it would be for emergency use only as the floor pump is the mainstay but obviously can't be dragged around with me! Any recommendations on which one to get and where to get them? There seems to be a pretty big price gap between what is available so is it a case of 'you get what you pay for' or does it not matter for an emergency pump?

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Not a huge fan of co2 canisters. You'll only get 80psi out of one and they're fiddly to use. I'd rather have a decent mini-pump that will easily stick around 60psi in a tyre to get me home. Thing with a CO2 canister is unless you're good at using them there's a big risk that you'll dump your load (missus) without inflating your tyre and then you're stuck. I do carry them but also have a mini pump as backup.

What connector does your mini-pump use? Screw on or snap on? Screw-on usually better. I've got one of these: https://www.evanscycles.com/hoy-hi-pressure-mini-pump-EV211875?esvt=1188-GOUKE1065248&esvq=&esvadt=999999-0-520444-1&esvcrea=79033472576&esvplace=&esvd=c&esvo=EV211875-NA-BLK&esvaid=50080&gclid=CjwKEAjw0pa5BRCLmoKIx_HTh1wSJABk5F_4GwioFcFSoTws_OWNv6vyw2qR_WPeafowRfku6WM8lRoCiWXw_wcB

(review here: http://road.cc/content/review/141301-hoy-hi-pressure-mini-pump )

I ride year-round on Conti GP 4 Seasons, mostly Cadnam to town, and have had two (rear) punctures in 2000 miles. Both pinch-flats from not keeping an eye on my pressures so entirely self-inflicted.

The CO2 inflator I've got is the bog-standard BTwin one from Decathlon. Does the job but if you're going to rely on them recommend you buy a few cartridges and practice before having to use them in anger.

I'm a lover of CO2 for size and ease of use but if I'm out solo I'll also take my mini pump. As for tyres I've moved from Michelin Service Course to Vittoria Open Corsa SC. Awesome tyres, both are and way, way, way cheaper than Conti.

Aldi, from today, have inflatior and 4 canisters for £5. Work great.

Had a big weekend on the bike myself working up towards Chase the Sun on June 18th. 215km training ride with my mate yesterday in some tough weather and our local hospice had it's annual ride today, 105km, but on some filthy land. Ended up covered in liquified cow ****e and badger ****.

IMG_20160501_164236.JPG

Maybe the prices are different up North but my Aldi had inflater and one cannister for £5. I also bought 8 spare cannisters for a tenner so I'm all stocked up now....

Didn't realise how small they are so I guess I can fit the inflater head and two cannisters in my saddle bag and risk doing away with the pump that has proved to be less than useless anyway!

Maybe the prices are different up North but my Aldi had inflater and one cannister for £5. I also bought 8 spare cannisters for a tenner so I'm all stocked up now....

Didn't realise how small they are so I guess I can fit the inflater head and two cannisters in my saddle bag and risk doing away with the pump that has proved to be less than useless anyway!

I have 2 canisters attached with a elastic band to the inflator and a tube with tyre levers wrapped in an old sock that goes in my jersey. They fill my left rear pocket. Don't even know that they are there.

Any tips for inner tubes????

Be careful not to pinch them as you put the tyre back on the wheel. ;)

Personally I use Conti Race tubes on all 3 road bikes, ( Winter, workhorse, and "sunday best" ), but then again I've never put too much thought into differentiating between brands.

Be careful not to pinch them as you put the tyre back on the wheel. ;)

Personally I use Conti Race tubes on all 3 road bikes, ( Winter, workhorse, and "sunday best" ), but then again I've never put too much thought into differentiating between brands.

Good advice. I also use the same Conti tubes. Schwalbe OK, but occasionally have dodgy valve cores.

Hey guys, looking for some medical advice here. Last couple of rides, my left knee has been killing me. Two weeks ago I could hardly walk when I got home. Same cleat set up, bike set up same as it always has been. Just come home now and I was nervous about it the whole time. Felt a bit of strain on the climbs but not sure if that was just mental. Should I see a doctor, a physio or bike fit if this carries on?

As for mini pumps I use http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-pressure-drive-cfh-c02-pump-with-free-cartridge/ bit pricey for a pump but screws on to the valve, has a flex hose so wont snap it off and can be used as pump or co2 inflater. Just be sure to use non-removable valve cores or glue them before using.

I frequently get knee pain from over working the knees - for me it's genetics I'm afraid as my mother has had both knees replaced following several knee 'scrapings'.

About three weeks ago it was really painful and I noticed my knees were quite bent even at the 'straightest' point of the pedal stroke. I raised the seat another inch or so which meant the knees got straighter during the stroke and it has relieved a fair bit of the pain. I don't think it will ever disappear and I guess I've got used to my dodgy knees, dodgy back, dodgy hips and curved spine [scoliosis] and just kind of get on with it....

Raising the seat would be worth a try - and pretty cost effective if it works ;) If it doesn't work you've not really lost anything. It does make getting on the bike even less glamorous than it used to be but what the heck!

It would appear that my throat issues are far more serious than I'd hoped so some enforced time off the bike is on its way after I go under the knife. Chase the Sun is definitely off as I'll be recovering and I'll have to manage my riding afterwards as treatment continues. Bit of a fu cker as I'm riding well at the moment. :(