The weekend riding thread.

View From The Top

We'd done the club ride, about 20 of us and 5 of us were heading off to do a 100km loop. In the countryside riding 2-1-2 with me in the back two on the inside. A dog was on the road so we swung out to go around it. As I was on the inside I looked down to make sure I was past it just as the rider in front on me decides to brake almost to a stop to tell the house we were passing that their dog was in the road. I tried to go around him but a front spoke hit his outside QRS sending me over the bars.

Landed on my forehead, then glasses, nose and then chin, which was opened right up. The people whose dog it was had a 1st aid kit which we used to stem the bleeding, which was pis sing out of me & a bloke in a van stopped & gave me a lift back to the bike shop and then I headed off to A&E.

Bloke who caused it paid for the bike repairs and a new lid, which was wrecked.

The road rash is stinging today and the wife has grounded me but I'll be back out tomorrow hopefully.

Sounds a really nasty one maybe she has a point. Hope you recover well and take it easy for a while.

Did my first mountain bike ride this weekend - the Marin Trail in North Wales. Wow, I'm addicted. I'm covered in bruises but it was completely exhilarating bombing it down. And the scenery was stunning - such a magical place. Worth visiting if you've not been before.

Did my first mountain bike ride this weekend - the Marin Trail in North Wales. Wow, I'm addicted. I'm covered in bruises but it was completely exhilarating bombing it down. And the scenery was stunning - such a magical place. Worth visiting if you've not been before.

Another convert, brilliant! Did my zillionith ride on Sat, but was ultra careful as I was on a new bike.... Did Brecon Beacons last year and have Afan on my radar this summer, so look forward to hearing all about Marin over our next beer!

Two guys I work with cycle to work every day. First one was chased by a dog, went into a ditch and broke his arm. A few days later the second one hit a pothole, went over the handlebars and broke his neck. Be careful out there guys!

Another convert, brilliant! Did my zillionith ride on Sat, but was ultra careful as I was on a new bike.... Did Brecon Beacons last year and have Afan on my radar this summer, so look forward to hearing all about Marin over our next beer!

It was pretty hair raising, but in a good way! Climbed Tryfan Mountain the day after, which was also amazing. Beautiful part of the world.

Two guys I work with cycle to work every day. First one was chased by a dog, went into a ditch and broke his arm. A few days later the second one hit a pothole, went over the handlebars and broke his neck. Be careful out there guys!

There's nothing quite like the experience of cycling in London, and reading/seeing the terrible things that happen, to make you very aware of your own mortality.

There's nothing quite like the experience of cycling in London, and reading/seeing the terrible things that happen, to make you very aware of your own mortality.

Considered getting a new bike last year when I moved to Leyton. Plans were scuppered when I did a JRod about a week later.

Having since seen a few nasty accidents first hand (was recently in a taxi that had a collision with a cyclist, in this case it was definitely a cyclist running a red light), and heard some nasty things from friends/colleagues I have been put off the idea. Another summer of Central Line fun :thumbup:

Considered getting a new bike last year when I moved to Leyton. Plans were scuppered when I did a JRod about a week later.

Having since seen a few nasty accidents first hand (was recently in a taxi that had a collision with a cyclist, in this case it was definitely a cyclist running a red light), and heard some nasty things from friends/colleagues I have been put off the idea. Another summer of Central Line fun :thumbup:

It's doable, but I've never gone through central London. My friend does Leyton to London Bridge, which takes some nerve. People talk about cyclists jumping red lights a lot, but the big scares I've had have always been lorries turning left. Even if you never go alongside them.

It's doable, but I've never gone through central London. My friend does Leyton to London Bridge, which takes some nerve. People talk about cyclists jumping red lights a lot, but the big scares I've had have always been lorries turning left. Even if you never go alongside them.

With you on this. There are lots of reasons why road cycling does not appeal to me, but for those who do it as part of a regular commute in a major city, well, hats off to them.

That said, while mountain biking has hardly any (though not zero) fatalities, I saw the latest "got smashed up because I misjudged it by a fraction" vcitim on Sat. Guy hit a tree at about 30 mph and broke his arm, collar bone and a few ribs. Ah the pursuit of fun...

Bol_loxs to riding in central London, it's a free for all.

Us roadies have no fear because if we did we couldn't do it. Hitting nearly 60mph going down past The Roaches off the Peak District can't be done if you're scared. Even after splitting my face open I was back on the bike as soon as my right hand could operate the break and shifter.

the big scares I've had have always been lorries turning left

i nearly got a cyclist one time when I was turning left at lights + he was going straight on doing an undertake. It was v.close thing. Made me wonder tho whose fault it was, I prob didn't check my inside mirror properly, or at all if I'm honest, but I asked around and some bros at work reckon you are allowed to run down cyclists if they're undertaking. I mean strictly speaking i.e. in accordance with the highway code.

i nearly got a cyclist one time when I was turning left at lights + he was going straight on doing an undertake. It was v.close thing. Made me wonder tho whose fault it was, I prob didn't check my inside mirror properly, or at all if I'm honest, but I asked around and some bros at work reckon you are allowed to run down cyclists if they're undertaking. I mean strictly speaking i.e. in accordance with the highway code.

What if they were in a cycle lane?

i don't think cycle lanes extend across junctions, and according to Highway Code, as soon as they exit the cycle lane they are fair game IIRC. Mate of mine earned 6 points for getting one like that, whereas when I wiped out an entire roundabout I only got 3 :(

Big off today when an bloke in front of me braked when we were at tempo for no reason.

16 stitches in the face. Bike is fine though. 43b95361870a122885a65bf752e739ff.jpgbdfdec0161c97f8c9cfe2373bec28152.jpg81ac4d318cc1fbb0f7556c6da144a525.jpg

We don't particularly see eye to eye on most things, but would not wish that on anyone - was hit by a car in 2003 at 30mph... fractured elbow, fecked wheels and need for a new helmet... and arse hanging out of a rather expensive pair bib shorts which was interesting sat in casulty. Stay safe.

I used to do Shoreditch to Clapham most days for about 18 months before changing jobs, rush-hour both ways although evenings were quieter. Never had any problems as long as I kept on the lookout. 8am on London bridge every day was very nice.

But this was 13 years ago when London was but a small village. And now I'm old and live in Louisiana and don't dare cycle anywhere because the traffic moves faster than London's 3 mph.

Wouldn't do London but do cycle from Cadnam and beyond into Southampton most days. On the whole no issue other than the fact that the road surface/cycle path from Redbridge is so bloody awful. Not so keen on shared use paths either as you can't really do a decent speed with pedestrians around.

Losing so much weight, intention is to do the full commute from Fordingbridge tomorrow, around 22 miles...

• 3 weeks later...

52k earlier which is my longest ride yet. Hopefully won't be too long before that's just a quick one.

One question - what do you big milers do for undercarriage protection? I know I should buy some better quality shorts, but is it going to make THAT much of a difference? Was a bit uncomfortable earlier. The roads were pretty bumpy in places but that's going to be the case in a lot of places.

52k earlier which is my longest ride yet. Hopefully won't be too long before that's just a quick one.

One question - what do you big milers do for undercarriage protection? I know I should buy some better quality shorts, but is it going to make THAT much of a difference? Was a bit uncomfortable earlier. The roads were pretty bumpy in places but that's going to be the case in a lot of places.

Good shorts is the answer (as well as a full carbon bike). You don't have to spend the earth. I'm using Merlin Cycles mid priced own brand & they are way better than some of my shorts that have cost treble the £30 I paid.

For long rides, and I include the 135miler last weekend and the solo 100miler yesterday, I smother the pad as well as my ar_se and tackle in something called baby bum butter which you can get from Waitrose. Way way better than any chamois cream and about £2 a tub.

Also, what's the consensus on these Wiggle sportives? Looking at the New Forest 100 in September as something to train for.

Why pay to ride on roads that are free to ride on? The only ones I do are the local charity rides, which last weekend had 1500 riders or closed road ride such as the Velothon Wales. Closed roads are the way forward IMHO.

Good shorts is the answer (as well as a full carbon bike). You don't have to spend the earth. I'm using Merlin Cycles mid priced own brand & they are way better than some of my shorts that have cost treble the £30 I paid.

For long rides, and I include the 135miler last weekend and the solo 100miler yesterday, I smother the pad as well as my ar_se and tackle in something called baby bum butter which you can get from Waitrose. Way way better than any chamois cream and about £2 a tub.

Cheers for the advice!

x2 for full carbon bike, but even there you have to be careful. With bike frames there is a holy grail and it is a balancing act between weight, stiffness and comfort and that is very much dependent on the geometry, tube shape and using the right carbon fibre lay-ups in the right places to achieve it. For example when aero-bikes became more widely used they were very fast in the right hands with plenty of lateral stiffness but at the expense of weight and vertical compliance (comfort). That is changing with the current generation of such bikes like the Giant Propel and the Cervelo S3 tending towards a more balanced approach to their design. The S3 for example has taken the rear triangle from the Cervelo RCA to achieve a level of comfort which far exceeds that of their previous aero-bikes, bringing that sort of machine within the reach of us mere cycling mortals. As far as shorts are concerned, despite it being a company based along the M27, Wiggle is my friend. I've been buying various DHB bibs for the last four years. Never let me down either on, price sizing quality or on comfort. Best of all they are pretty much always on offer.

Also, what's the consensus on these Wiggle sportives? Looking at the New Forest 100 in September as something to train for.

Did the New Forest Spring - yes its a bit pointless paying to ride the roads I ride on every day but it is good being out in a large group and really testing yourself against a defined route/distance. Far too easy to bail out of a long ride if you're on your own. Doing the Bournemouth one on Saturday, just a 45-miler so should be a quick one.

As to comfort - bib shorts, some undercarriage cream on the pad and your undercarriage, and find a saddle you can get comfy on. Very personal choice but the best I've ridden is the Charge Spoon - only £25, not a lightweight or particularly racy one but well padded and well regarded. I use Udder Mint as cream - dirt cheap and if its good enough for cow tits its good enough for my arse!

One more thing - if you're going to ride in shorts, don't wear underpants, you'll negate most of the benefits of the shorts and end up with horrible chafing on a long ride.

Other than the saddle you can look at getting a carbon seat post - they're a bit more flexible than aluminium posts and transmit less of the road buzz which tends to be what causes the sore arse more than the big bumps.

Like VFTT I tend to support local events near me, two in particular The Three Counties Cycle Ride and Wokingham Bikeathon. That said to improve it is always useful to have a training goal, without one you just get stale. Be it Wiggle or any other organiser it doesn't really matter having an event to train for should help.

Like VFTT I tend to support local events near me, two in particular The Three Counties Cycle Ride and Wokingham Bikeathon. That said to improve it is always useful to have a training goal, without one you just get stale. Be it Wiggle or any other organiser it doesn't really matter having an event to train for should help.

I booked onto the Wiggle New Forrest spring sportive back on October. As it was way further than I had ever rode at the time i was really good motivation for me to be more active over winter than I would have been without it.

I booked onto the Wiggle New Forrest spring sportive back on October. As it was way further than I had ever rode at the time i was really good motivation for me to be more active over winter than I would have been without it.

Look at the dates that your local clubs have their reliability rides and use them as your spring target. Nearly every club will have one and Newport CC and Nova Raiders (Newport) certainly have them as does Stafford RC. Riders come from all over to ride them, they only cost a couple of ££ and you don't need to be a member of any club to do them.

I did 3 or 4 this Spring with my club and they were quick, made up of those who'd put in the winter miles. Ended up riding the Stafford RC ride in a chaingang made up of my club and Audlem CC which was great fun. There were riders from clubs out your way, B'ham, Derby, Stoke, Liverpool, Manc etc. The same was true of the Newport and Audlem rides.

Living in Telford, for you, the classic spring ride is The Cheshire Cat if you don't fancy a reliability ride. Now that is a proper wake up call after the winter and sells out every single year.

50 miles today in under 3 hours, pleased with that as I'm getting over a chest infection.

Good stuff. I did around 34 miles at a similar pace. I'm not getting over anything but I have ridden over 200K since last Sunday which is high..ish for me. I am aiming to match or beat my time for the 3CCR next weekend which is a sub three hour 50 miler.

Pleased to have averaged 15mph on the Bournemouth Sportive Short last weekend. 45 miles seems to be about my limit as I start to get lower back spasms, guess I need to work on my core strength to address those. Next up is the All Wight at the start of July - only 55 miles but pretty hilly, particularly the section from Shanklin to Ventnor.

I *might* have accidentally rewarded myself for a promotion at work by upgrading the bike to Ultegra Di2 :)

Pleased to have averaged 15mph on the Bournemouth Sportive Short last weekend. 45 miles seems to be about my limit as I start to get lower back spasms, guess I need to work on my core strength to address those. Next up is the All Wight at the start of July - only 55 miles but pretty hilly, particularly the section from Shanklin to Ventnor.

I *might* have accidentally rewarded myself for a promotion at work by upgrading the bike to Ultegra Di2 :)

Nice one. I'm having it on my new bike I'm getting when I get my early retirement at the end of August. Enjoy!

I find I have to do a lot of hamstring stretches. I have had back issues for years, but a combo of cycling and stretches has really sorted me out. Money saved from not going to chiro currently being diverted to the CB Saint bike upgrade kitty.

The money would be better spent on upgrading your wheels if I'm honest.

I find I have to do a lot of hamstring stretches. I have had back issues for years, but a combo of cycling and stretches has really sorted me out. Money saved from not going to chiro currently being diverted to the CB Saint bike upgrade kitty.

Pilates or cycling specific yoga will sort you out a treat and really works on the core strength issue as well.

Well that's three hours plus I'll never get back. Did a mate a favour by getting him round the Three Counties Cycle Ride, but boy was it frustrating at times. Anytime the road pointed even slightly upwards I was having to knock it back and if I didn't I ended up waiting. Don't mind riding at a leisurely pace but this was a pace with no consistency whatsoever.

It'll still be there in you are a Premium member.

Yep, it's now showing against the new week, hence why I couldn't see it yesterday, I didn't realise they automatically rolled fd week to week.

I'm loving the Strava fly-bys, does anybody else use them?

I suffered like a dog today on a little 30k ride home work. Cant decide if it was the 2 weeks off the bike or the new drink I was trying out that knotted my stomach up. Either way I haven't had 30 minutes as uncomfortable as the last 10k of that ride in a long long time.

Averaged 18mph over a 22 miler the night before last, starting to get a bit quicker where the road points skywards. There's a cycling team based in Woolston called DHC racing, they haven't done it for a while but they've just restarted their cycling 'club', lots of group rides going on in the area. I'll be getting out there with them as soon as I can.

Averaged 18mph over a 22 miler the night before last, starting to get a bit quicker where the road points skywards. There's a cycling team based in Woolston called DHC racing, they haven't done it for a while but they've just restarted their cycling 'club', lots of group rides going on in the area. I'll be getting out there with them as soon as I can.

You'll ride faster, longer and better if you ride regularly with others.

Just been offered a free spot on next weekends Etape Xtreame in Snowdonia. 365km and 6000m of climbing. They are looking at doing a 30kmph average.

Safe to say that I declined on the grounds that I'm not yet insane.

Mental, just mental.

Mental, just mental.

The lads that are doing it will big ring everything. 11/28 on the back and pro-compact, 52/34, on the front. Phil, however, said he'll keep his standard rings on!

They'll nag me all next week but there is no way I can do that much climbing combined with the distance. It's 120km further than I've ridden and 3000m more than I've climbed.

Recently have had an extension built so bike which always lived in the house had to go in the shed. I bet you can guess what's coming. A month or so ago the shed was broken into and bike nicked (thieving little bastards). First thought was the golf clubs but surprisingly they were still there.

Anyone had any experience of the entry level carbon framed bikes from Ribble/Planet X?

Recently have had an extension built so bike which always lived in the house had to go in the shed. I bet you can guess what's coming. A month or so ago the shed was broken into and bike nicked (thieving little bastards). First thought was the golf clubs but surprisingly they were still there.

Anyone had any experience of the entry level carbon framed bikes from Ribble/Planet X?

Customer service is sh*te from Ribble. I know 2 lads who ride Planet X bikes and they love them.