No FA Cup football on TV?

Patrick Bateman

Your style is to be wrong, then fine. Well done on that.

Right or wrong when discussing grammar is not a matter of law, more style. Some people are trend setters, others slavish followers. The only criterion is that the intention be clear. IMHO, of course.

I've been reading Oliver Kamm in The Times. He writes a column on Saturdays called 'The Pedant' which has led me to reconsider my views on grammar.

Right or wrong when discussing grammar is not a matter of law, more style. Some people are trend setters, others slavish followers. The only criterion is that the intention be clear. IMHO, of course.

I've been reading Oliver Kamm in The Times. He writes a column on Saturdays called 'The Pedant' which has led me to reconsider my views on grammar.

Can you point me in the direction of a dictionary or major style guide that advises using the noun/adjective English without capitalisation?

If it's just you, as an individual being a "trend setter" (for the sake of not admitting you are wrong on a forum) then let's agree you're wrong.

And accusing people who use capital E for the word English as "slavish followers"? What a monumental bellend you are.

Can you point me in the direction of a dictionary or major style guide that advises using the noun/adjective English without capitalisation?

If it's just you, as an individual being a "trend setter" (for the sake of not admitting you are wrong on a forum) then let's agree you're wrong.

And accusing people who use capital E for the word English as "slavish followers"? What a monumental bellend you are.

If you want a style guide I could always write one for you? For the record, I deliberately chose to write without a capital, so it wasn't a mistake in the usual sense, but whichever, no one really cares, do they?

(I don't believe I did accuse people who use a capital E as 'slavish followers', I was merely speaking in general terms. Well, not exactly speaking, writing more like)

(Also, whilst we're at it, I prefer to use single quotes (') when referring to written text rather that double quotation marks ("), but that's my style :))

If you want a style guide I could always write one for you? For the record, I deliberately chose to write without a capital, so it wasn't a mistake in the usual sense, but whichever, no one really cares, do they?

(I don't believe I did accuse people who use a capital E as 'slavish followers', I was merely speaking in general terms. Well, not exactly speaking, writing more like)

(Also, whilst we're at it, I prefer to use single quotes (') when referring to written text rather that double quotation marks ("), but that's my style :))

So the answer to my question is no, then.

England, English. In all dictionaries and all known style guides. Glad that's settled.

You chose to write "english" because you're not a "slavish follower". But of course.

Or... you "really care" enough when picked up on a simple mistake to fabricate an entire back story for your error rather than just owning up. So, "for the record", you're full of it.

Edited by CB Fry

And accusing people who use capital E for the word English as "slavish followers"? What a monumental bellend you are.[/QUOTE]

Pot. Kettle. Black.

England, English. In all dictionaries and all known style guides. Glad that's settled.

You chose to write "english" because you're not a "slavish follower". But of course.

Or... you "really care" enough when picked up on a simple mistake to fabricate an entire back story for your error rather than just owning up. So, "for the record", you're full of it.

I repeat: it wasn't a mistake, it was deliberate :)

No football today either? The BBC seem to have really ****ed this one up. They've gone on about it all week, but no live games? Thought there'd be a couple yesterday and 2 or 3 today.

At least, ITV did overkill right. Just as annoyed that the draw's on Monday evening.

No football today either? The BBC seem to have really ****ed this one up. They've gone on about it all week, but no live games? Thought there'd be a couple yesterday and 2 or 3 today.

The Arsenal game is on later to be fair.

For the first and second round BBC coverage was good, but this is a bit of a damp squib.

Them showing the Wimbledon match on Monday is dopey too when it should have been the centre piece of the weekend coverage.

Pap! PAP! PAAAAAAP! Someone get Pap! He's doing it again!