Time Wasting

FOOTBALL CRAZY

There's not THAT much variance in the number of subs used (generally 4-6), and unless there's a serious injury you can expect 1-2 minor stoppages, for which they add on maybe 1-2 minutes tops.

I've seen a few 3s, I've seen a 12 on tv too (Newcastle Arsenal maybe? They went over 100 minutes), and I once left a 3pm kick off at 5:10pm for a non-league game back when a 15 minute break was a luxury not a given. Serious injury and playing at Old Trafford under Fergie are the only things that'll take a match past 5 minutes. Persistent timewasting might kill 20 seconds per set piece, but you can guarantee it won't amount to more than 2 minutes in the ref's head.

I can only imagine how much time was due to be added in the FA Cup game when Muamba collapsed.

How much time was added on for Sunderland at home this season, compared to West Ham at home?

Obviously the Muamba incident added on loads of time to that game.

FWIW I support a rule that teams can take any restart from up to 10 yards BEHIND the point where the infringement or stoppage occurred, but not in front of it.

good idea, but why not extend it to take it anywhere so long as it is behind the point of infringement. If the player puts his hand on the ball to signify he's taking the free kick then no one could have a complaint about not knowing if the kick has been taken or not. Get the game moving again. With all this square passing (which I have no problem about by the way) we are seeing less action.

GET THE GAME MOVING

too many refs have forgotten that attacking teams still have the right to take a quick kick UNTIL they raise their whistle to show the defence is allowed to form a wall and the attacking side has to wait for the next whistle.

I guess refs want to get into the bet possible position to make a decision, but like you say they have gone too far. Once a foul has been committed (unless a booking is taking place) the attacking side should be able to take it immediately. None of this wait for the whistle ********.

GET ON WITH IT

I thought Forster's time wasting was horrendous in the last few mins last night. Really surprised Palace didn't make more of a fuss. It obviously didn't last as long as Fosters , but then we weren't in the lead as long. I presume the moaners on here were upset about it, or is our time wasting OK?

Forsters wasn't any worse than Speronis was at 0-0 throughout the game. The ref did f*ck all then, so to penalise Forster for it would have been ridiculous.

I like the idea of a clock used in the same way as in Rugby. Stop it when there is an injury. Stop it when there is a substitution and there would be no point in a player ambling off the pitch at a snail's pace. Stop it when the ball is out of play. As suggested, have the countdown minutes remaining displayed on a big screen.

good idea, but why not extend it to take it anywhere so long as it is behind the point of infringement. If the player puts his hand on the ball to signify he's taking the free kick then no one could have a complaint about not knowing if the kick has been taken or not. Get the game moving again. With all this square passing (which I have no problem about by the way) we are seeing less action.

GET THE GAME MOVING

I'm ambivalent about it, just trying to be consistent with my insistence that proximity to the offence should matter.

Free kicks around the edge of the area present a bit of a problem too, massive gains to be made, potentally unfairly, by taking a free kick from even 10 yards left or right, never mind anywhere behind the foul.

I guess refs want to get into the best possible position to make a decision, but like you say they have gone too far. Once a foul has been committed (unless a booking is taking place) the attacking side should be able to take it immediately. None of this wait for the whistle ********.

GET ON WITH IT

In theiry players ARE allowed to take quick free kicks, provided they ask and the ref is ok - the "ceremonial" as Graham Poll used to call it, isn't meant to happen until he signals that the window for a quick kick is over.

I like the idea of a clock used in the same way as in Rugby. Stop it when there is an injury. Stop it when there is a substitution and there would be no point in a player ambling off the pitch at a snail's pace. Stop it when the ball is out of play. As suggested, have the countdown minutes remaining displayed on a big screen.

That would be awesome. We could have countdowns at the soccerball like they do in the US of A. I heart the idea Les.

I've mentioned this before, but I actually played a match in the US where the game clock was on a scoreboard and ran 45 minutes start to end. No stoppages, no added time (we checked this with the ref when it became clear at half time that he wasn't adding time on), and needless to say, what happened was we got a goal or two up and started killing time any way possible - hoofing the ball miles across the park when putting it out of play, faffing about on goal kicks, free kicks, throw ins, corners, doing our laces up all the time, absolutely anything to reduce the amount of time the opposition might have to mount a comeback (given that we were on Soccer Tour and had to play 6 matches in 9 days). We won 3-1, anyway. It's on video somewhere...

560325_10150644295871931_1193068229_n.jpg?oh=19b95a11f58486ca337aeb4c454fd27f&oe=557ADCDA&__gda__=1433467031_c371d9da190c9569bc6aef27670d6eb2

One of my personal highlights also happened in the name of timewasting, we were hanging on when 2-1 up in a tournament against some Watford fans, and I managed to get our keeper to pass the ball to me in the left back position (bearing in mind I'm a striker) JUST so I could step inside the box to play it, ensuring a retake and another 15 seconds wasted. We won that one too.

And the game where we started with 10 men against the side in second place and just behind us in the table, and spent the first half hour hoofing it as far as possible off the pitch until we got up to the full complement of players. As it turned out the bloke never arrived, and somehow we won 4-1 anyway. :D

Edited by The9

I've mentioned this before, but I actually played a match in the US where the game clock was on a scoreboard and ran 45 minutes start to end. No stoppages, no added time (we checked this with the ref when it became clear at half time that he wasn't adding time on), and needless to say, what happened was we got a goal or two up and started killing time any way possible - hoofing the ball miles across the park when putting it out of play, faffing about on goal kicks, free kicks, throw ins, corners, doing our laces up all the time, absolutely anything to reduce the amount of time the opposition might have to mount a comeback (given that we were on Soccer Tour and had to play 6 matches in 9 days). We won 3-1, anyway. It's on video somewhere...

560325_10150644295871931_1193068229_n.jpg?oh=19b95a11f58486ca337aeb4c454fd27f&oe=557ADCDA&__gda__=1433467031_c371d9da190c9569bc6aef27670d6eb2

One of my personal highlights also happened in the name of timewasting, we were hanging on when 2-1 up in a tournament against some Watford fans, and I managed to get our keeper to pass the ball to me in the left back position (bearing in mind I'm a striker) JUST so I could step inside the box to play it, ensuring a retake and another 15 seconds wasted. We won that one too.

And the game where we started with 10 men against the side in second place and just behind us in the table, and spent the first half hour hoofing it as far as possible off the pitch until we got up to the full complement of players. As it turned out the bloke never arrived, and somehow we won 4-1 anyway. :D

You are utter scum.

Swearing and dissent are a regular complaint amongst local referees. Kids see the bignames doing it on TV and think it's all right for them too. Swearing in itself is not the issue, it's 'offensive, abusive or insulting language'. I used to take the view that if the swearing was incidental and could not be heard off the pitch then I was not too bothered, although other refs think differently. Industrial language is common amongst the sort of lads that I used to handle and usually meant nothing.

Miking up the ref would help a lot with public understanding.

Yes, it's not so much swearing that irks me, it's aggressive screaming at the ref; running up to them; borderline physcial intimidation etc.

Yellow card. Like has been said, it will stop pretty quickly once Rooney, Henderson, Terry etc get booked constantly.

I bloody hate all this time wasting from both sides. It's right up there with diving, managers blaming refs and anything else that has/and continues to contribute to changing a loved sport into a slightly loathed `business'.

We pay a fortune to see actual football (that's players kicking a ball about), not players thinking about taking a throw in only to decide to drop the ball to let someone else take it, players nudging the ball away just enough to stop quick free kicks, bit not booted away s they get yellow cards (if they nudge it away and it slows things down even a fraction yellow card the bastards) players chasing and surrounding/arguing with the refs over every big decision, goalkeepers retrieving balls and then walking to the far side of six yard boxes to take goal kicks (why on earth did they change the rule about having to take goal kicks from the side it went out?), refs not allowing quick free kicks because the foul was committed two feet to the left of where it was taken (if goal kicks can be taken either side who gives a **** where free kicks are taken if its miles away from the goal. Also, if the ball is rolling when the free kick is taken who really cares? Just allow it so we can see more of that football stuff. Refs counting out ten yards and spraying white lines for every single free kick takes more time, as does refs giving players lectures (what is the point of that, either give a yellow or a red or don't. This isn't school, with players needing lectures - use the f'in cards or don't.

We want to see football, not all this other gubbins. Fans are being badly short changed and its getting worse.

By the way the crowd is actually better off not moaning about time wasting as all that happens is it leads to refs running all the way from the half way line to speak with the keeper to give them a warning. That wastes about 30 seconds, and then repeat that a little later for the actual booking. So by drawing attention to it (no matter how annoying it if for me and you) it actually helps the opponent waste about a minute, just at the cost of a yellow card. The same applies to taking throws in the wrong place - who ****ing cares? Just get that ball back into play ASAP so we can see some football.

At £50 a game the time has come for a clock to start and stop when we don't have actual play.

Actually, scratch that. If we have a stopwatch system they will just introduce lots of short breaks that they can slot adverts in.

Spot on. It drives me nuts. The article below talks about stopping the clock and i think it would work. It would cut out so much of the time wasting that spoils the game

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/mar/11/breaking-the-law-injury-time-referees

(average time the ball is in play in a PL game- 56 mins!! Therefore, let's say an average season ticket costs £500...that's £200 spent on watching the players argue with the ref, stand around, fetch the ball e.t.c

Edited by Bloo71

Blimey some good points and posts here!

And generally finding favour with the majority. There is no reason to believe that there would not be a consensus among most fans at most clubs, so why shouldn't it be possible for pressure to be put on the authorities to introduce these measures?

I don't know how to break this to you, but the ball is rarely in play for much more than 60 of those 90 minutes in ANY match, never mind one where a team is actively wasting it.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/mar/11/breaking-the-law-injury-time-referees

(average time the ball is in play in a PL game- 56 mins!! Therefore, let's say an average season ticket costs £500...that's £200 spent on watching the players argue with the ref, stand around, fetch the ball e.t.c

:nod: