Does money make you mean and dishonest?

buctootim

Who is more likely to stop for pedestrians, the rich or the poor? Drivers are legally obliged to stop if someone wishes to cross. And, as a Lexus blithely slips through in front of him, Piff explains what his researchers found. "None of the drivers of the least expensive cars broke the law, while close to 50% of our most expensive car drivers broke the law,"

Are richer people really more mean?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-31761576

Interesting question. Answer is "sometimes".

Really depends on the person and their attitude toward money. It clearly doesn't affect everyone; quite a few of the world's richest have altruistic projects on the go. Ricky Tomlinson, a local example, famously didn't move out of his area for years after hitting the big time and still campaigns for social issues.

Money is definitely a differentiator though, and I think it's a worry for everyone. You're either worried about getting it or worried about keeping it. However, I think it's a lot like alcohol in the respect that some people can still be alright on it, but others turn into complete f**kers.

Interesting study.

I've met over the years plenty of wealthy people who were a genuine pleasure to be with, and others who considered themselves to be better than their fellow man ... and they had the money to prove it. It's not the money really - its the love of money you have to watch out for.

Harry Enfield used to be a milkman before he made the big time.

Used to deliver all over, across the class spectrum, from sink estate to manor house to everything in between. Said he loved the people from the council estates and the rich old boys of old money, but he found the nouveau riche to be the worst of the lot.

Closer to home, the old man used to run pubs going back say ten, fifteen years. He started off running a pub on a council estate in Oxfordshire, ended up taking a couple of big pubs on the Isle of Man. I'll never forget the way he described the difference in clientele. Working class people generally very polite, saying please and thankyou, etc. Richer folk not even deigning to speak to the help. Just rattling the ice in their glasses loudly at the end of the bar.

It annoys me how many people dont let people pull out, even if in doing so they wont let the car infront of them, like at a T junction for instance. Coming from someone that tends to allow people out I find it pretty selfish. Ok if you are carrying straight on but if you are turning right whats the harm ?

An observation for me is that it appears older drivers are more inconsiderate in this case. And is more obvious than the cost of cars.

Interesting study though

Harry Enfield used to be a milkman before he made the big time.

Used to deliver all over, across the class spectrum, from sink estate to manor house to everything in between. Said he loved the people from the council estates and the rich old boys of old money, but he found the nouveau riche to be the worst of the lot.

Closer to home, the old man used to run pubs going back say ten, fifteen years. He started off running a pub on a council estate in Oxfordshire, ended up taking a couple of big pubs on the Isle of Man. I'll never forget the way he described the difference in clientele. Working class people generally very polite, saying please and thankyou, etc. Richer folk not even deigning to speak to the help. Just rattling the ice in their glasses loudly at the end of the bar.

Yes I can see the truth in what you are saying.

In a previous existence when I was working on a removal van, it was generally the less well off who would give you a tip for a job well done, while the better off people (more often than not anyway) would keep their hands in their pockets because they expected good service as a right.

Now that was okay with me, but generosity of spirit is one of the better qualities a person can learn in life I think.

Money is supposed to be the root of all evil. As an inanimate object you might wonder why it could cause so much trouble! The problem is not with money as such, it is with certain people's attitude towards it. Give lots of it to people with feelings of self entitlement and you will probably create monsters.