Can we catch city ?

DrZuess1979 the 2nd

It would be a sobering thought to have the season we've had and yet only end up one position in the table better off than last season, even if the points haul was much better. Just goes to show how much of a gap there is to bridge over the course of a season - and we had a go at it without European football.

Of course, there are worst realisations as a football fan but you have to wonder - will we ever have it better than this season!?!

Et voila..........

Liverpool 2-0 Newcastle: Raheem Sterling and Joe Allen keep Reds in Champions League race before Moussa Sissoko is sent off

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3037578/Liverpool-2-0-Newcastle-Raheem-Sterling-Joe-Allen-Reds-Champions-League-race-Moussa-Sissoko-sent-off.html

compared to our

Southampton 2-0 Hull City: Saints keep slim top four hopes alive as Graziano Pelle ends four-month wait for a Premier League goal to heap further misery on struggling Tigers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3034996/Southampton-2-0-Hull-City-Saints-slim-four-hopes-alive-Graziano-Pelle-ends-four-month-wait-Premier-League-goal-heap-misery-struggling-Tigers.html

Amazing how 1 point changes it from a slim chance to still being in the race.

:)

Not concerned about Liverpool. We need to win every one of our remaining matches to catch City and there isn't a cat in hell's chance that Liverpool will beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, meaning that should we succeed in attaining the minimum needed to catch City, we'll certainly overtake Liverpool in the process.

If Pelle starts scoring regularly and starts having a purple patch we have a chance, him not scoring since december is the reason we're not still in the top 4 really.

My view is if Liverpool get to the cup final, it's possible they'll have one eye on it and stutter in the league. Many of those players won't want to get injured or suspended before the F A Cup final at Wembley. Wishful thinking perhaps, though I'd rather Villa beat them anyway and we still trounce them in the league to a CL place. (Not that I think the latter will happen but you never know.)

Here's a horrible thought that occurred to me as I listened to Newcastle capitulate against the bindippers tonight.......

We might end up above Spurs, last game of the season, based on our result City or Liverpool will get Champions League.

Would you be happy beating City knowing that that smug arse Rogers would benefit next season?

I had that horrible thought as well.. If this was the table going into the last weekend:

4 Man City 70

5 Liverpool 69

6 Southampton 68

7 Spurs 54 :D

If Liverpool beats Stoke and we beat City, it ends up:

4 Liverpool 72

5 Southampton 71

6 Man City 70

If Liverpool beats Stoke and we lose to City, it ends up:

4 Man City 73

5 Liverpool 72

6 Southampton 68

Either scenario, we are got Europa. What result do you root for?

I can quite honestly (and with a fair amount of relief) confirm the I am quite categorically not Glasgow.

I used to post on the Daily Echo site as Stroppy Gramps, still do occasionally (but not for some time since I changed my job)

Hmm... You are a new member but you know all about Glasgow. :suspicious: