Post-Match Reaction: Leicester City 2-0 SAINTS

Saint-Armstrong

Seems a pretty accurate assessment after Saturday's performance. In fact one of the better assessments that have been made and shows a little more awareness of the issues at Saints than is evident from some of the other media luvvies or some of the apologists on here who think that everything is rosy because we are going to finish 7th (or are we?).

This is accurate for you?

"Indeed, with the season coming to a close there has been far too much talk about new contracts, transfer speculation and preseason plans"

"the performances on the pitch away from home have been nothing short of disgraceful."

"Having written that Saints would have a massive say in the relegation battle, it seems I was wrong"

"but the club need to be wary of the level of expectation they have created."

Even if you think our performances are a disgrace, I'd have thought someone writing for ESPN would have tried to give some insight and analysis, rather than a long-winded, rambling emotional rant from someone just in from the pub.

yeah it's our good bro George Weah Cousin (no relation) who used to post on here till he become bighead podcast celebrity + ESPN blogbro. He don't talk to lowly saintsweb bros no more :thumbdown:

He does describe the game I saw. The lack of interest from the players was completely evident and its worth pointing out.

Excellent season yes, but it doesn't make it ok to turn in a performance like that in front of paying fans. I don't mind losing but the manner of the performance was unacceptable no matter who you are. I watched Palace v Man U in the pub after the game and saw a team with even less to play for than us giving it a right good go.

I just find this complete overreaction, I'm sorry.

I think it's been an excellent transitional season with the loss of chairman, manager, chief scout and several key players in the last year+.

No idea what the negativity is about. We've lost momentum and seem to be distracted. We've not got a strong attack. We've had a few key injuries in a small squad.

What is the big deal? Had some great wins (arsenal twice....utd....sunderland....and many other great days out), got some new fancy foreign players to get excited about, and a seemingly very stable manager who brings something different to pocchetino.

We're still southampton, we'll have a cracking summer to look forward to and a next season to build upon.

Feel free to toss my positivity about the window but standing back from the whole thing its not so bad.

I respect you for posting your opinion and you providing your own thoughts on my opinions. I try very hard to be positive, and, there was a period this season, when I began believing my original gut feeling, based on long experience following Saints and football had been wrong.

It's my belief, which gets stronger and stronger, that Koeman isn't so committed as he makes out in public and the media. The Media and how HE is perceived, are his primary driving force as he puts himself in the window for his next move.

He states he will see out his three year contract but at no time has he committed himself beyond, preferring to let it known he is wanting the Barcelona or Holland job after Saints. With results of late and a failure to rectify things, and others seeing thru his real intentions, he might not be allowed to see out the 3 years.

I am furthermore not at all convinced on his acquisitions and his ability to bring in the very best level of players to get the club into establishing itself in the Top Six and later in Europe. When one considers Pochettino, Adkins and how they brought thru young Academy players, I have not been impressed at Koeman doing a similar job. I really worry that our best youngsters will not be prepared or have patience with Koeman.

I could go on, but these are my main concerns, and the facts, of late, speak for themselves. Leicester, in escaping relegation, winning 6 out of their last 7 games, keeping clean sheets, are in the process of recreating what we Saints did earlier in the season. They are playing with spirit and determination, much in the way we did, although, I would say, our players did a more beautiful job, not only defending and keeping clean sheets, but in scoring goals.

It's rubbish for Koeman to say that we re losing games thru poor starts. We are, and have been, losing games by our inability to score goals and make good use of the final third of the pitch.

A) Without wishing to call what you've said into disrepute, who (are these goalscorers)?

I've been correctly called on my rash statement. I needed to add possible goalscorers from the academy. By that I can only be referring to Seager who seems to have found the net regularly. The problem is i don't think the attack is whole issue. Whilst Pelle, Mane, and Long don't seem to be able to score frequently, they aren't that bad and it may be that they are just not receiving the ball quick enough in dangerous areas. Koeman seems to insist on our midfield playing deep which leaves Pelle isolated . It would be interesting to see how Rickie Lambert would cope with this system, not much better I suspect.

Anyway my point was that the forwards haven't felt much pressure for their place this year and its frustrating not to see one of our youngsters, who appears to be in form, at least given a chance,

I respect you for posting your opinion and you providing your own thoughts on my opinions. I try very hard to be positive, and, there was a period this season, when I began believing my original gut feeling, based on long experience following Saints and football had been wrong.

It's my belief, which gets stronger and stronger, that Koeman isn't so committed as he makes out in public and the media. The Media and how HE is perceived, are his primary driving force as he puts himself in the window for his next move.

He states he will see out his three year contract but at no time has he committed himself beyond, preferring to let it known he is wanting the Barcelona or Holland job after Saints. With results of late and a failure to rectify things, and others seeing thru his real intentions, he might not be allowed to see out the 3 years.

I am furthermore not at all convinced on his acquisitions and his ability to bring in the very best level of players to get the club into establishing itself in the Top Six and later in Europe. When one considers Pochettino, Adkins and how they brought thru young Academy players, I have not been impressed at Koeman doing a similar job. I really worry that our best youngsters will not be prepared or have patience with Koeman.

I could go on, but these are my main concerns, and the facts, of late, speak for themselves. Leicester, in escaping relegation, winning 6 out of their last 7 games, keeping clean sheets, are in the process of recreating what we Saints did earlier in the season. They are playing with spirit and determination, much in the way we did, although, I would say, our players did a more beautiful job, not only defending and keeping clean sheets, but in scoring goals.

It's rubbish for Koeman to say that we re losing games thru poor starts. We are, and have been, losing games by our inability to score goals and make good use of the final third of the pitch.

Well fair enough, your concerns are with koeman's commitment to the club and whether what we see reported in the media really reflects his ability/desire to stay. I can see that, and I would probably share some of those concerns. Ultimately he is a really really nice guy, but I wonder if that clouds my opinion sometimes.

In terms of bringing in players, I find that interesting. I mean for me, we just fundamentally aren't a club to replace like for like or like for better. I find it actually quite frustrating that we are being linked with some 4m worth midfielder in the wake of rumours about Morgan's departure....for me, that is just a clear step down in quality and likelihood of ever breaking into top six. I realise its not in the 'ethos' of the club, but anyway.

So yeah, in terms of your point about transfers I would say its been mixed this season. Like on FIFA...its easy to get excited about foreign unheard-of players....but ultimately we just need a good strong squad in depth as much as we do fancy new signings. I think that Pelle and Tadic were good players to bring in, as were Mane, Alderweireld, Bertrand, Forster. However, I do think that had they been added to last years squad, rather than everything resting on their shoulders, we wouldn't be in the position we are today.

I do share those concerns about players, but my real hope is that, while 2/3 players might leave in the summer, we will be able to really strengthen, bring in 6/7 good signings (not saying world class/expensive but solid and proven or else having good potential).

And yeah, the spirit that surrounded SMS at the start of the season and among away support and the positivity has gone down a little bit, and I think thats because a little bit of motivation and belief within the dressing room has gone as well.

well posted, though.

A) Without wishing to call what you've said into disrepute, who (are these goalscorers)?

I've been correctly called on my rash statement. I needed to add possible goalscorers from the academy. By that I can only be referring to Seager who seems to have found the net regularly. The problem is i don't think the attack is whole issue. Whilst Pelle, Mane, and Long don't seem to be able to score frequently, they aren't that bad and it may be that they are just not receiving the ball quick enough in dangerous areas. Koeman seems to insist on our midfield playing deep which leaves Pelle isolated . It would be interesting to see how Rickie Lambert would cope with this system, not much better I suspect.

Anyway my point was that the forwards haven't felt much pressure for their place this year and its frustrating not to see one of our youngsters, who appears to be in form, at least given a chance,

No worries. As I said, I took no pleasure in "calling you out" :lol: Curious, is all. Besides, with most things football, it's a simply matter of perspective/opinion/etc, I.e. it's possible you thought Gallagher (or similar) prolific, and I would've enquired after your reasoning. Anyway, the second paragraph in your most recent post is bang on. Pelle has stopped running like he used to - at the half way(?) point in the season, he'd run more than any other striker (SkySports fact/thing). I can't imagine that's even remotely the case now. I can't help but feel that his all but guaranteed spot has contributed to this.

I can't help but feel that his all but guaranteed spot has contributed to this.

.. by making him weary as heck playing every game, in a league which is probably a lot more physically wearing: some of the tackling and blocks by centre halves must be giving his muscles a good going over. He's visibly frustrated with himself too.

This applies to the whole team though, let's hope that the final home match and away to Citeh, along with the finishing tape in sight gives the players that surge of adrenalin to perform in the way we know they can.