Post-Match Reaction: Leicester City 2-0 SAINTS

Saint-Armstrong

We were awful.

Clyne was especially bad, these horrible floaty crosses he keeps attempting just waste any pressure we apply on the right wing. Mane needs to man up and stay on his feet more, he wasted a few good opportunities where if he'd just stood up in the challenge he might have created a chance.

Pelle was like a bloody statue, never running onto passes, and when he did get the ball, he was back heeling it to nobody every time.

Defence was shambolic for both goals, I don't think we appreciated just how important Forster was, running the back 4.

Only positive for me was Harrison Reed. He looked like he wanted to be out there, was chasing Leicester like a rabid dog and really giving it his all.

I really wasn't convinced by Koeman's substitutions at all, putting Long on the wing ALWAYS falls short - he's a direct runner, not someone to just float crosses in for 20 minutes.

Crap performance, I can't see us getting any more points this season at this rate.

Honest truth is we've been found out

No schneiderlin in the middle

No Forster commanding the back 4

The sale of Jack Cork

All key factors of our season end becoming mundane

Not adding a striker in January

Nigel Pearson has all the characteristics that Koeman lacks. He is one day going to be the best football manager this country has produced. Seeing him after the whistle brought floods of tears to my eyes, the man, the pride and fighting spirit and the humanity and belief.

Koeman is a coward and stubborn and arrogant persisting with the same pathetic selections when we have young guns ready and willing to give their last drop for the team. One or two bad games and it's right he keeps faith in a player, but 5, 10 even 15 useless contributions and still picked is sheer insanity.

The longer Koeman persists with Pelle, Elia and Diuretic, the greater the apathy and quality of the rest of the team will deteriorate. Gallagher, Seagar and others deserve a chance. The squad realise if Pelle can match after match do nothing why bother.

We aren't interested in Europa League, no matter the public utterances. That is not what what angers me, it's the way we've gone about it. The players who've been playing are those that Koeman sees as that of next season.

I salute Toby for his contribution towards scoring when others just did a full circle and passed the ball sideways or backwards. Gazza took time, which cost us 2 goals, to come to grips with his first first team game all season, but it was poor defending that was to blame . We just aren't at any game during the start to a game.

Leicester deserve their Premier League place, their fans were the best I've seen all season. Happy clappers!!! Nigel Pearson, the big one we had, and let get away. He has everything that Koeman still lacks in football management. He drove his players by example and being there encouraging them on the touchline. Koeman just sits laid back, along with his brother like a tailors dummy. At very least he could show some enthusiasm like he did when he first arrived.

A bitter end to a dream season that went horribly sour.

My problem is many of this saw this coming before the opening of the January Transfer window. We should have strengthened the team properly then . Sixth or Seventh aint bad but the way the season has been fizzling out for a while now is very frustrating.

My problem is many of this saw this coming before the opening of the January Transfer window. We should have strengthened the team properly then . Sixth or Seventh aint bad but the way the season has been fizzling out for a while now is very frustrating.

We might even be 8th

We do seem to be limping into the summer after an exhilarating first two thirds of the season and it's disappointing. We needed good quality reinforcements in January but it's difficult to add them then. One of those, most of us felt, needed to be a striker to take the pressure of Pelle. Unfortunately we ended up with the ineffectual Elia and Djuricic, two supposed creative players. Never mind, I still think we will limp into a Europa place but if Les thinks our paper thin squad can cope in Europe by using the kids, he's been on the waccy baccy...

We do seem to be limping into the summer after an exhilarating first two thirds of the season and it's disappointing. We needed good quality reinforcements in January but it's difficult to add them then. One of those' date=' most of us felt, needed to be a striker to take the pressure of Pelle. Unfortunately we ended up with the ineffectual Elia and Djuricic, two supposed creative players. Never mind, I still think we will limp into a Europa place but if Les thinks our paper thin squad can cope in Europe by using the kids, he's been on the waccy baccy...[/quote']

First two thirds? We've taken 31 points from the last 24 games, just 5 more than we did from the first 12. Make that first third myself. An absolutely shocking record actually, true we beat Arsenal and Utd and drew with Chelsea, the rest has been pretty bleak. Only our first 12 games are keeping Koeman in the job. The rest is pretty average.

Edited by Window Cleaner

I think it's all been said by everyone else. So horribly frustrating to watch our fantastic season fizzle out. If we were to qualify for Europa I would have dad preferred to do so on our own merit rather than because other results went our way.

Annoyed. But then Leicester had more to play for than we did.... Apparently

I won't slag Koeman

Dreams and reality are now taking shape

Europe was a dream. - reality we are going to hope other results go our way

Overall the season ended 6 weeks ago - heart of hearts we are carrying a lot of dead wood again

There will be a few out the door that are not good enough and some who want tomove on but that's football

So 2-0 down and your centre forward looking completely disinterested and you have a young lad bursting to get on in the shape of Sam Gallagher. What does Koeman do? Nothing Nada. Poor man management in my opinion and it flies in the face of assurances that he wants to give youth its chance. Gallagher might not be the finished article but he would have bust a gut which is more than quite a few on show today did. Koeman can do no wrong in the eyes of many but I am not convinced.

This.

3 million £ against nothing in a few months time, purely commercial, there was no reason not to keep him until the end of the season, we took the cash that's all.

Not to mention the small matter of him wanting to leave and play first team football. Not sure how Cork would have made any difference today, he wasn't exactly known for high tempo build up play pulling defences apart.

I guess it's just another example of the guy not playing being the answer. Like Morgan, despite the fact that he played against Stoke, West Brom, Liverpool and Sheff Utd.

Last week the answer was to drop Yoshida and play Reed. We did that but did we play any better?

First two thirds? We've taken 31 points from the last 24 games, just 5 more than we did from the first 12. Make that first third myself. An absolutely shocking record actually, true we beat Arsenal and Utd and drew with Chelsea, the rest has been pretty bleak. Only our first 12 games are keeping Koeman in the job. The rest is pretty average.

Really? Hadn't quite investigated as closely as that! Goes to show the difference between perception (mine anyway) & reality. Yes, that is poor.

I think it's all been said by everyone else. So horribly frustrating to watch our fantastic season fizzle out. If we were to qualify for Europa I would have dad preferred to do so on our own merit rather than because other results went our way.

Annoyed. But then Leicester had more to play for than we did.... Apparently

If we qualify it will be because of our performances over the why season irrespective of others.

I just wish there were some kind of method by which the club could indicate to the fans that they were going to throw a game in some way that does not give a heads up to the authorities.

It would save us a lot of heartache.

Fecking terrible AGAIN. 2 weeks in a row against battling sides.

Gazzaniga is a joke in goal. But we all knew that. We knew that 2 years ago. We all knew we were a Forster injury/suspension away from this shambles.

you could see Toby NOT wanting to pass the ball to him a few times and tried turns on the edge of our area....

Talk of Champions League (again, like under Cortese) is laughable.

Pelle is awful. He really is. offers almost no movement, Just stands in the middle of the park. Granted, the chances for him are few and far between but he does nothing.

Never ever see him bully/dominate a defender, move them about, make life hard for them. he requires absolute pin-point passes to him as he simply does not beat a defender, flying in for headers.......he just tries flicks and barely wins the ball.

1 goal away from home all season. Fecking shyte. RK faith in him is just bizarre. He is awful. The whole attack is basically hope mane beats players and creates something. It is ALL on him.

Fair play to Leicester, they wanted it and will stay up. Which is good as they are a good club

I just wish there were some kind of method by which the club could indicate to the fans that they were going to throw a game in some way that does not give a heads up to the authorities.

It would save us a lot of heartache.

Like picking Gazzaniga you mean...dead giveaway.

I don't know why people are banging on about Cork. He's a good player but we were right to get some cash while we could and it hasn't been the reason we have struggled in the last few months. The reason is Pelle has been totally out of form, partly because I don't think he's really that good but also because we don't have the natural wingers who are going to provide crosses for him to attack (Clyne is also a very poor crosser), which we did have some of in the first few games when Tadic played on the left and Long played right. We also don't have any goal threat from midfield yet continue to play Davis in that position. The one game I've seen us and thought we looked really dangerous was away at Chelsea with Long up front and Mane behind him. It worked but Koeman immediately went back to Pelle and it has cost us. He's a good manager but not above criticism.

If we are going to play Pelle every week then play to his strengths, buy some wingers who want to go past people to the byline and get crosses in that he can attack. If we don't want to play that way then don't start him, go with Long or even Mane up front

Well that was bloody awful.

Didn't realise Elia was playing till he was subbed.

Wanyama, Davis, Clyne terrible.

Gazzaniga, what a clearance for the 2nd goal. Rest of the half no one would pass it back to him.

Only positive I was home by 6pm.

With cracks appearing for some time now qualifying for Europa League now is like building on sand.

We need to build our team our future on strong foundations.

The groundwork is in place, but we are trying to run before we can walk. "Rome wasn't built in a day" but many are clinging to that belief. Strong values form the foundation for our expectations, actions, and performance. Have we and Koeman built a strong foundation for our team? Results show we haven't but we have progressed, but not enough to leap into Europe and sacrifice our future. Koeman, alas, has let it known his ambitions for his future. managing Barcelona, Holland etc.) They are NOT long term Saints related ambitions.

Today we saw a manager who doesn't bleat to the media his ambitions for his future or what club he wants to manager. He bleeds Leicester City and is fighting for their future, with no mention of a time limit. Koeman sees his Saints future over the next 3 years, not the Liebherr dream of establishing Southampton Football Club in the top 6 and one of the top clubs in England but also in Europe long term.

If Koeman. in my eyes, hadn't dug his own Saints grave, by overstating his own future to the media, to the detriment, now, of the teams performances and results.

Over the coming close season, we shall have plenty of time to analyse where our season when wrong. The January transfers, lack of bringing in a decent striker. injuries, red cards, and the idiot 3 day trip to Switzerland when a week in the sun, on the beaches and rest and recuperation would have done much more to prepare the squad for the final couple of months.

Let us establish a strong footballing foundation, one which will allow the club to move forward with strength overcoming set backs which all clubs face, but which the top clubs are well prepared

Let us build on ROCK, not on sand, or feeble, non existent foundations

There just seems to be so little fight at the moment. In some ways I'm beginning to wonder if the players do want to qualify for the Europa league. As were not European regulars we should be fighting tooth and nail for any chance to play on the European stage but, to put it kindly, our most recent displays have been listless. With it being the last home game next week I'm sure we'll get the usual boll ocks from the players about wanting to put in a good performance to repay the fans for their great support. I'd rather they kept their mouths shut and do their talking against Villa next week!

If our team were a scrabble hand, I'd chuck the lot in and draw new tiles.

I'm actually hoping we do have a mass sell off and start over again. Maybe next week I'll feel better, but who really deserves a place in the side right now? OK, I'll say Bertrand, Fonte, Schneiderlin .... As that banner at Newcastle last week said "we don't demand a team that wins, we do demand a team that tries". 71% possession, yet how many attempts on goal? Try to score!!

Just back, we were very poor.

Both goals came from mistakes. Davis **** out for the first & Gazza's kick gave away possession for the second.

Wanyama was terrible. Davis has performed so badly recently I reckon he must be injured. Gazza has to leave in the summer. Ref's have made their mind up about Mane & all he does in keeps doing is falling over to confirm their opinion.

I have read people criticise RK for taking him off because he is our only attacking option. Today I would have taken him off as he was very poor.

Been to all the games recently & think by playing Mane behind Pelle we have list our midfield edge. When we had Morgan, Vic, Davis in the middle & Tadic & Long/Mane wide we were much harder to beat, but started to find scoring difficult. If it were me I would revert to that formation.

Cork walks into this team at the moment.

Only positive today was Reed. He gave everything.

Looks like we don't care............which is very very sad after what we have achieved & could have been.

There are deffo some bedwetters on here tonight making up for Alpline's absence!

please explain what more Gazzaniga could have done today?

His kick for the second surrendered possession which caught the whole defence out. Kicking the ball straight rather than fluffing it is what more he could do!

Good point just look at the improvement of Swansea since Cork went there!

Before this round of fixtures, Jack Corks points tally for the season would see him in third (points acquired when he was in Saints and subsequently Swansea squad). Obviously doesnt mean a lot but £3m for such a solid squad player seems nothing - especially given the dramatic fall of Davis.

There are deffo some bedwetters on here tonight making up for Alpline's absence!

please explain what more Gazzaniga could have done today?

The initial clearance was horrible; BUT that was in the first phase of play; Toby and Fonte had to do much better in the second phase. God knows why both were attracted like flies to **** to the player in possession, leaving Mahrez all alone in the six yard box.

Just back from the game.

Echo most of what's been said so far. The players simply don't seem up for it. Only Reed put in a decent shift, effort wise.

Clyne and Bertrand were both ineffectual. Why don't they overlap down the wings anymore?

No runs off the ball from midfield into the attacking 3rd either. You can see the player on the ball urging someone to make a run but it rarely happens, so the ball inevitably goes backwards or sideways.

Not sure if the booing of the players who came over to acknowledge the fans after the game was helpful but maybe it'll buck them up for the last few games. Bertrand in particular seemed affected by the boos and seemed to be remonstrating with a few fans.

I'm starting to feel a little concerned about next season. We've been in 'something to prove' mode at the start of the last couple of seasons but next season there might be a danger of starting to play in a comfort zone if the recent lacklustre performances are anything to go by.

I'm usually an optimist after a defeat but a few doubts starting to enter my thinking now.

Maybe another exodus is required to rekindle that 'something to prove' attitude amongst the players. Hopefully the apparent apathy over the last couple of months is temporary.

Edited by trousers

Just on the way back, all I can say is that they all look f**king lazy.

No real running, no movement and just very very little movement off the ball. They don't look bothered about finding space or making runs.

They were all bad today except Mane and probably Bertrand.

The rest of them should be fined for not bothering.

Maybe the small squad and amount of games has resulted in a lot of out key players just being fatigued.

Clyne/Bertrand must be knackered by now.

True and can you imagine what Europe will do as well. No, better off out of Europe.

Just back from the game and another very abysmal display. Leicester to be fair were hungry and organised but Saints looked so disinterested for most of the game. When djurcuvic and Long came on we perked up slightly. Mane looked decent when we got him into play and Reed was very impressive. First goal should have been shut down but it was a nice finish. Second goal was calamatious. Wonder if that might be Gazza's final game for us as after that team looked hesistant to play it back to him.

Spurs mucked up again thankfully but i struggle to see us winning given how badly we are playing.