Post-Match Reaction: Leicester City 2-0 SAINTS

Saint-Armstrong

Honest truth is we've been found out

No schneiderlin in the middle

No Forster commanding the back 4

The sale of Jack Cork

All key factors of our season end becoming mundane

Yeah we've been spoiled with Cork and Morgan. Still gutted we mucked Cork about and he ended up leaving. This summer we've got to recruit a replacement of their ilk on the ball.

Nigel Pearson has all the characteristics that Koeman lacks. He is one day going to be the best football manager this country has produced. Seeing him after the whistle brought floods of tears to my eyes, the man, the pride and fighting spirit and the humanity and belief.

Koeman is a coward and stubborn and arrogant persisting with the same pathetic selections when we have young guns ready and willing to give their last drop for the team. One or two bad games and it's right he keeps faith in a player, but 5, 10 even 15 useless contributions and still picked is sheer insanity.

The longer Koeman persists with Pelle, Elia and Diuretic, the greater the apathy and quality of the rest of the team will deteriorate. Gallagher, Seagar and others deserve a chance. The squad realise if Pelle can match after match do nothing why bother.

We aren't interested in Europa League, no matter the public utterances. That is not what what angers me, it's the way we've gone about it. The players who've been playing are those that Koeman sees as that of next season.

I salute Toby for his contribution towards scoring when others just did a full circle and passed the ball sideways or backwards. Gazza took time, which cost us 2 goals, to come to grips with his first first team game all season, but it was poor defending that was to blame . We just aren't at any game during the start to a game.

Leicester deserve their Premier League place, their fans were the best I've seen all season. Happy clappers!!! Nigel Pearson, the big one we had, and let get away. He has everything that Koeman still lacks in football management. He drove his players by example and being there encouraging them on the touchline. Koeman just sits laid back, along with his brother like a tailors dummy. At very least he could show some enthusiasm like he did when he first arrived.

A bitter end to a dream season that went horribly sour.

Box of frogs.

The initial clearance was horrible; BUT that was in the first phase of play; Toby and Fonte had to do much better in the second phase. God knows why both were attracted like flies to **** to the player in possession, leaving Mahrez all alone in the six yard box.

Entirely on Toby, I reckons. I have *no* idea why he decided to leave Mahrez and run past Fonte to intercept the ball, only to hesitate and decide not to commit to winning it. Oddest decision-making I've seen from him. I'm surprised you're the first to have specifically mentioned the incident in this thread (given how glaring it was).

That was worse than the Sunderland match. I think the board/les read/ koeman need to take some blame here. Why we didn't take a chance in January and get in another striker was sheer stupidity, and everyone could see it. And if anyone goes on about how great a season this is then get your head out the sand, we have been poor since January.

This, along with a back up GK. The way Spurs, Liverpool and ManU have limped along since the window, we could have had a realistic shot at 4th with a decent striker and GK brought in during the window. It was so bloody obvious, except to Reed, RK and co.

Just back from the game.

Echo most of what's been said so far. The players simply don't seem up for it. Only Reed put in a decent shift, effort wise.

Clyne and Bertrand were both ineffectual. Why don't they overlap down the wings anymore?

No runs off the ball from midfield into the attacking 3rd either. You can see the player on the ball urging someone to make a run but it rarely happens, so the ball inevitably goes backwards or sideways.

Not sure if the booing of the players who came over to acknowledge the fans after the game was helpful but maybe it'll buck them up for the last few games. Bertrand in particular seemed affected by the boos and seemed to be remonstrating with a few fans.

I'm starting to feel a little concerned about next season. We've been in 'something to prove' mode at the start of the last couple of seasons but next season there might be a danger of starting to play in a comfort zone if the recent lacklustre performances are anything to go by.

I'm usually an optimist after a defeat but a few doubts starting to enter my thinking now.

Maybe another exodus is required to rekindle that 'something to prove' attitude amongst the players. Hopefully the apparent apathy over the last couple of months is temporary.

Would you not agree that Bertrand is still trying to make runs into the opposition third? I watched on TV and can remember two specific incidents in the first a half (once played through by Mane, the other ended in some sort of love-tangle with Albrighton). I ask because you were at the game (rather than insisting that it's true). Where Clyne is concerned, his lack of effort to run the channel is painfully apparent. There is no other player that rivals the disappointment I feel towards Clyne. Seriously needs to have a word with himself\show some commitment\professionalism. Given our reliance on crosses to score this season, I'm surprised Koeman has torn him a new one. Perhaps there's some leniency being displayed in the hope he'll sign this ruddy contract(?). Tread lightly territory.

Keep calm and support the Saints! Christ if our team were as bipolar as most aficionados on here I would rip my hard earned season ticket up.

We are on a bad run, short of confidence, short of 3 key players (tadic, MS and FF) not in meltdown. Davis was at fault for the first goal, soft; second was all Gazzas fault, soft; 2-0 down to a team fighting for their lives was always going to be difficult, but the team did try. Clyney got whacked early in the second half; Bertrand overlapped in the first half but had no outlet with Elia who was awful, as was S Davis, sorry Steve; Vic had no luck or no protection from the ref. Bottom line is defence is fine, but if your strikers cannot hold the ball and move the opposition defence around then you huff and puff all day but you won't blow a house down with Robert Huths head as a magnet for the ball.

We have to beat Villa for the fans end of.

Well, well, well........ have given myself at least half an hour from getting back from the game to calm down,..... it hasn't worked.

What a game to choose for my one and only away game of the season, was the most abject, pathetic display i have seen since the rot of the Championship relegation season, it had that lack of urgency, no one willing to step up to the plate, no one gives a **** feeling.

Apart from the now well versed criticism of the players already voiced on the thread so far i want to add a few observations from the last few months (yes i'm aware i don't post regularly - have flet a bit silly having these opinions whilst we are still well positioned in the league, but today was a bit of a tipping point).....

1) Wingers/Wide Midfielders - what has happened to moving the full backs around? Mane and Ellija been very guilty of this, they barley move but if they do its always laterally, in front of the oppo full back. Why aren't they dragging them them about back and forth, spinning off, looking for space behind? A couple of occasions today we were crying out for this type of movement, the CM's looking for options and the wingers/Wide Mids just stood there making minimal movement to fain interest. I can only conlcude this is a way they have been told to play?

2) what has happened to our flying Fullbacks? They may well have been told to watch for LCFC's counter attacks down the wing today, but generally since Christmas the number of overlaps and attacking intent from the FB's has been poor. Perhaps they do not have confidence in the wingers or CM's to cover them or find them with return balls?

3) On pitch leadership - couple of occasions where LCFC players went down for treatment today, i watched our players. This would have been the perfect opportunity for Fonte or Davis (our experienced players and an International Captain!!) to get out players round give them a kick up the arse, pass on a few instructions - nothing. Again this has been evident for a few games now.

4) Defending corners - when we are defending a corner, why do we get everyone back when the oppo have left 3 players up field and uncommitted? Why isn't the likes of Mane up on the halfway line giving them something to think about, possibly giving us an out ball?

5) Koeman - hardly saw him get off the bench today, needed to be on the side of the pitch absolutley paiting the air blue to get some urgeny in to the players,

6) Goal kicks today - why did Gaza always look to kick the ball up the pitch rather than play it to our CB's as is the norm? Saw Jose and Toby get annoyed with him a few times. Why didn't they sort this out in training? particularly if RK knew he was going to test Gaza? Poor organisation.

Not many positives from today, thought Reed injected a bit of passion into the game and was generally ok. Fillip looked lively when he came on and changed the dynamics of the team a bit.... ummm they still had paper towels in the toilets at half time? that's it, i'm of out positives.

We just don't carry a threat any more. I think we are really lacking any creativity which is something you wouldn't associate with us in recent years. We just seem a tad boring really! Need to sign a couple of creative players in the summer. I'm not 100% convinced about Tadic and I certainly don't believe Elia is what we need for what we want to achieve regarding Europa League football.

Shame this season has tailed off really. Onwards and upwards to next season!

Having just watched on MOTD first goal Gazza had no chance good strike, second goal he was totally exposed and lucky to get his forearm to it..........think making him the scapegoat a tad harsh.

Did you see what he did to create the 2nd goal? It was his utter cock up that created the chaos.

He's an utterly hopeless goal keeper, it's pointless saying otherwise. He needs to go in the summer, he shouldn't be anywhere near a club with top 6 aspirations in the NPC, let alone the PL. He's never been good enough and never will be.

The initial clearance was horrible; BUT that was in the first phase of play; Toby and Fonte had to do much better in the second phase. God knows why both were attracted like flies to **** to the player in possession, leaving Mahrez all alone in the six yard box.

Absolutely right. Said this immediately after we conceded. Horrendous clearance by Gazzaniga but abysmal defending thereafter.

Having just watched on MOTD first goal Gazza had no chance good strike, second goal he was totally exposed and lucky to get his forearm to it..........think making him the scapegoat a tad harsh.

If he could kick a football the second goal would never have happened! I'm stunned by the number of people that have seemingly forgot about his awful clearance.

Agreed with the first, every keeper makes a hash clearance out of play in a game. The second one though was criminal. My dead cat would have done better.

Did you see what he did to create the 2nd goal? It was his utter cock up that created the chaos.

He's an utterly hopeless goal keeper, it's pointless saying otherwise. He needs to go in the summer, he shouldn't be anywhere near a club with top 6 aspirations in the NPC, let alone the PL. He's never been good enough and never will be.

No denying a pants kick out, but likewise the best defence in the league just went walkabout.

We lost that by gifting them 2 goals. Nothing much happened after that. Both keepers had what, one save to make?

Leicester deserve automatic relegation for singing a song to the tune of the Hokey Cokey.

We lost that by gifting them 2 goals. Nothing much happened after that. Both keepers had what, one save to make?

Leicester deserve automatic relegation for singing a song to the tune of the Hokey Cokey.

"Oh Matty Oakley...."

So 2-0 down and your centre forward looking completely disinterested and you have a young lad bursting to get on in the shape of Sam Gallagher. What does Koeman do? Nothing Nada. Poor man management in my opinion and it flies in the face of assurances that he wants to give youth its chance. Gallagher might not be the finished article but he would have bust a gut which is more than quite a few on show today did. Koeman can do no wrong in the eyes of many but I am not convinced.

Can't disagree with any of that FF

Well I did Stoke and Sunderland but couldn't face Leicester, good decision just wish I'd lumped on Leicester. I've seen this coming for weeks and here is why. It was only a few weeks ago that this team faced Chelsea at Stamford Bridge and played like genuine champion league contenders. Brilliant game and we all left pumped up and proud. Since then the deterioration has been rapid.

Losing Forster was a fatal blow and exposed Saint's critically low squad depth. We all knew it straight away but just hoped that Davis or Gazza would step up... they didn't

Secondly key players have been injured or suspended, the team has lost its cohesion and that telepathic passing born of familiarity has been lost. Once again squad depth has cost us here, nobody wanted Cork to go but he had Morgan Vic, Davis, JWP in front of him and he was never going to be bench warmer.

Thirdly teams have worked us out and we don't have the skill or guile to change. Stop our fullbacks overlapping, press our midfield and you cut off the supply line to the forwards.

We have no creativity Tadic and JWP are our the best we have and neither have really got going. Without Lallana the team is pedestrian and wastes procession.

Trevor Francis (who I rate) was the expert on my dodgy stream and he observed that Barcelona had 45% procession against Bayern but made it count and won easily. They also had Messi Trevor but the point remains valid. Teams give us possession knowing we'll do little with it, all they have to do is defend in numbers when we play tippy tap around the area and eventually the ball will be tamely given away. Nobody is going to run at them.

Fourthly we have no regular goal scorers, correction we do but Koeman won't play them. I like Pelle he is a great centre forward who terrorises defences but on his own he is easily marked by two players. Unlike Lambert he simply doesn't have the mobility or skill to collect the ball deeper and distribute quickly. What he needs is a young hungry striker on the bench who is itching to come on and show him how to do it. Gallagher and Seager would put him under pressure and perhaps give a bit of impetus to our play at the end of the game. Mane and Long are interchangeable but not complimentary, I'm surprised Koeman hasn't seen this. On reflection the loss of Lambo has been significant.

Koeman has played at the highest level and I have nothing but admiration and gratitude for what he has achieved this year. We could be staring down the barrel of relegation if it wasn't for the professional way our players made such a good start.

Finally the Spurs game was the watershed, that was the players opportunity to leapfrog a similarly exhausted team. Both teams went toe to toe and I thought it was the best game of the season. No quarter given or asked and by the end they were on their knees. For both teams the result meant they were chasing a Europa place rather than Champions league and I suspect both sets of players were mentally exhausted.

I just wish Koeman would trust us enough to play the youngsters more often, sure we would be beaten more easily on occasion but you've only got to look at the performance of Reed today to see that they wouldn't let us down.. I would have cheerfully accepted 9th or 10th if it meant seeing some rising stars rather than journeymen players like Elia. However I suspect Ron knows better than me that he also has to make sure that we don't have a West Ham or Newcastle style dip whilst the squad lacks the security to cope.

I suggest we all relax and just enjoy the final two games, wear you're flip flops and just think of what might have been and what is to come.

Next year we'll have a decent 2nd keeper of that you can be sure, JRod will be back and our attack of Pelle, Mane, Long, Seager, Gallagher and JRod will have a lot more pace and guile to unlock premiership defences. It may need another player but we can't block promising youngsters. That is the Southampton way so best accept it.

In midfield there will be incoming quality to supplement Vic, Reed, JWP, Tadic and Davis (who needs a rest). I'm assuming that Morgan will be gone and the loanees will return from whence they came. This will be where the club spends some money although Hesketh may start to make an impact if he grows a bit. We still have Ramirez on the books so he may feature... yeah right.

The defence of Fonte, Gardos, Yoshida, Stephens, Bertram Tragett, and Clyne (or replacement) should be sufficient with a decent goalkeeper behind them, although I could see Gardos being shipped out and a replacement for Toby brought in. I wish the main man would stay but sadly that looks unlikely.

That isn't a Champions league team next year but it might just be the year after with some experience under their belts.

Lots to look forward to :)

Davis and Gazzaniga cost us that one. This Saints team is hopeless at breaking down packed defences - simply no-one prepared to take anyone on. Its all pass pass pass tippy tappy rubbish with no end product. You might as well play an oven up front instead of Pelle when the games like that. So gifting them 2 goals killed us. Davis chickened out of a challenge like a 6 year old for the first and Gazzanigga simply can't kick a football properly. For that alone, he doesn't deserve to be described as a Premier League footballer. Needs to be one out of the door over the summer.

We are Southampton, we play sh1t when we want :D

or:

SFC Sn Management -> Ronald you big god, when we said we wanted to you take us to Europe, we meant on our pre-season games, not the real thing!! What happens if Morgan and Clyney stay if we get into Europe and we don't get the big bucks we promised Kat - we don't want to mess with her now do we??? Be a good chap and try some of those world rated academy players, and if we still get in to Europe you are for the chop - oh and try and look really ****ed off when we lose - there's a good chap!

Exactly, gazza couldnt do much for either really. But in reality the second goal was for reasons explained above and the first was a good strike but an utter failure to put a meaningful challenge in by Davis.

In fairness to davis however, why the **** was our attacking midfielder trying to that tackle ? Where exactly were the TWO defensive midfielders we deployed ?

Chronic lack of confidence. The first 10 minutes promised a really great game like the Spurs game.

The first goal went in and our confidence vanished

When we attack time and time again players go for the safe pass allowing Leicester's defense time to fully organise when finally we try the ambitious pass we give the ball away

Why on earth Clyne kept floating in high crosses when they had 3 tall centre backs god only knows

I agree with FF that Gallagher should have had the last 10 minutes

Fourthly we have no regular goal scorers, correction we do but Koeman won't play them. I like Pelle he is a great centre forward who terrorises defences but on his own he is easily marked by two players. Unlike Lambert he simply doesn't have the mobility or skill to collect the ball deeper and distribute quickly. What he needs is a young hungry striker on the bench who is itching to come on and show him how to do it. Gallagher and Seager would put him under pressure and perhaps give a bit of impetus to our play at the end of the game. Mane and Long are interchangeable but not complimentary, I'm surprised Koeman hasn't seen this. On reflection the loss of Lambo has been significant.

I just wish Koeman would trust us enough to play the youngsters more often, sure we would be beaten more easily on occasion but you've only got to look at the performance of Reed today to see that they wouldn't let us down.. I would have cheerfully accepted 9th or 10th if it meant seeing some rising stars rather than journeymen players like Elia. However I suspect Ron knows better than me that he also has to make sure that we don't have a West Ham or Newcastle style dip whilst the squad lacks the security to cope.

A) Without wishing to call what you've said into disrepute, who (are these goalscorers)?

B) Without wishing to self-publisize, haha, see this - http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?54139-Youth-Academy-Representation-14-15-Season#.VU8NL25wbMI. You could still be unhappy, mind, but it's context all the same :)

Geez if I performed like that at my work I would be On my first written warning. Make sure you give back your pay packets and perhaps next weeK you might bother to turn up and play. Goes for you to Koeman.

No runs off the ball from midfield into the attacking 3rd either. You can see the player on the ball urging someone to make a run but it rarely happens, so the ball inevitably goes backwards or sideways.

Already said this yesterday and also on here and I'll say it again, the off the ball movement was non-existent, they didn't look bothered about getting into space or making a run, just looked like a bunch of lazy gits going through the motions.

In all honestly, it looked like a purposeful defeat. I'm not trying to demean Leicester's ability, merely commenting on my own team. I have nothing more to say on the subject.

Do you mean we lost on purpose?

The short excerpts on motd were the worst examples of Saints defending I recall seeing, and that includes our demise towards league 1.

There is only one 'purposeful' conclusion. We now definitely know that Gazaniga has no place in Premiership football. Sorry, it has to be said.

But how come our recent resolute defence can shambolicolise in just a few matches?

We just didn't look up for the fight. Fairplay to Leicester though, they stuck with Pearson and the results came.

What we need to remember as fans is most teams haven't performed this season like they should. Spurs, Man City, Liverpool as a few examples. RoKo had us playing at our maximum level imo for around 3/4 of the season, and has done a great job. As I have previously said, it might have been better if our results were in reverse order this season, then there would have been no Champions League talk and a strong finish to this season.

Anyway, it's a disappointing end and leaves me thinking 'what if', but at the end of the day we were never going to perform consistently all season, very few teams do. I'm confident we will qualify for Europa, bring in some decent players in the summer and go again next year. I imagine the aim is Top 6, but we've seen how difficult it is to achieve and next season will be tougher. I'd be happy with 9th or above and a run in the knockout stages in Europe.

Awful performance, when the second one went in I actually thought it could be 4 or 5 . For me there's worrying signs that Ron is a bit like Michael laudrap , great first season at Swansea but seemed a bit too relaxed with the players. Maybe his calm presence and reputation was what was need early on, but I hope he can also dish out the hairdryer , because 7 or 8 needed it yesterday.

Guileless in attack - have been since Christmas and still are now. There is not player in that team capable of an on-target shot from the edge of the penalty area. There is no sense of cohesion to the manner in which our midfielders and forwards link up and pass in the final third. Pelle may be a decent footballer in parts of Europe, but he's not mobile or decisive enough for the Prem. Mane could be good, but needs someone on his wavelength to assist him. Elia is all promise and nothing more. Duricic is promising and I think could eventually do a good job. Davis is OK as a holding midfielder but is useless in attack and defence. Gazzaniga is just about L2 standard - no more and persisting with him is futile. I would put Davis back in for Villa with Cropper on the bench.

Awful performance, when the second one went in I actually thought it could be 4 or 5 . For me there's worrying signs that Ron is a bit like Michael laudrap , great first season at Swansea but seemed a bit too relaxed with the players. Maybe his calm presence and reputation was what was need early on, but I hope he can also dish out the hairdryer , because 7 or 8 needed it yesterday.

I don't get the impression Koeman is relaxed with the players. I think he's probably pretty formidable.