...not fit enough to play 90 minutes ? ...or ?

david in sweden

there always seems to be some degree of criticism from fans when midfielders are subbed late on in a game and people say ....they aren't fit or have no stamina.

I feel that this is an unfair comment when you consider the amount of running they can actually get through in " a high energy " game.

Some TV channels put up stats. on the screen showing various players input during a game, and it's not so unusual to see that some midfielders (especially) can clock upto 10,000 metres in a game. Other team members do not come anywhere near those stats. as they are rarely so involved for such concentrated periods.

Regardless of how involved they may be, it demands quite a shift when you consider that they are also required to; withstand bodily challenges, tackle, sprint, head and kick the ball at numerous times in a game. Mo Farah wins gold medals when he runs 10,000 met. and doesn't do any of these " other activities ".

The stamina required to play up to Prem. League standard on a regular basis really is a challenge to fitness and energy levels, and this should really be taken into consideration when some people are so quick to come out with comments like .." not being able to last 90 minutes."

The important stats tend to be around distances sprinted rather than pure distance nowadays. Also it's difficult to see how it ISN'T a good idea to sub midfielders after about 60/70 minutes as the replacement is usually of barely worse quality and has a fresh set of legs to maintain those sprints when 70% of the opponents will have an hour's worth of fatigue.

Even with the superb fitness levels of players nowadays subs still give you freshness and it's even more important without the minimum 2 day recovery period as players are much more likely to get injuries late on then.

How come strong, fit midfielders like Steven Gerrard, Cesc Fabregas and Santi Cazorla regularly played 90 minutes for years without any problem? It's the intrinsic poor strength and stamina levels of players like Clasie and Ramirez which makes them unable to do that. Not everyone's born with the physical assets you need to be a Premier League player.

How come strong, fit midfielders like Steven Gerrard, Cesc Fabregas and Santi Cazorla regularly played 90 minutes for years without any problem? It's the intrinsic poor strength and stamina levels of players like Clasie and Ramirez which makes them unable to do that. Not everyone's born with the physical assets you need to be a Premier League player.

This. Plus with the amount of late goals/games which are decided 70mins onwards you surely want your best players to be able to be playing then.

Clasie played 67/180 Christmas mins. Not enough for a key player.

You want your best players on the pitch as often as possible, especially in the key positions and for the key moments.

Regular availability for 90mins and low liklihood of injury are great/required attributes for the best players. Clyne versus Cedric a great example of that as ability wise they are similar but one is physically miles superior and therefore more useful/valuable/highly rated/better, than the other.

Edited by Saint Charlie

How come strong, fit midfielders like Steven Gerrard, Cesc Fabregas and Santi Cazorla regularly played 90 minutes for years without any problem?

It's the intrinsic poor strength and stamina levels of players like Clasie and Ramirez which makes them unable to do that.

Not everyone's born with the physical assets you need to be a Premier League player.

1)....I think you'll find that all those players you mentioned have had their share of injuries, but the key is their style of play. You didn't see Gerrard charging up the pitch every 5 minutes but he had good distrubtion and passing skills. Likewise Fabregas and Cazorla pick their times to make a run or create chances, and look good at it.

The late Alan Ball (R.I.P.)when still playing for Saints age 35, said he played the ball across the pitch "it was less distance to run" :D He had young players to run for him.

2)..Clasie and Ramirez have (reputedly) "good passing skills" - a necessary factor for midfielders, but lack physical strength in the same way as Wanyama or Romeu.

MLT said (in interview) that he didn't like to run, or train, and "as soon as they took the ball away - he lost interest". Given the ball... he could be world-class.

3) True. good skills are necessary, but I wonder if Clasie will be able to cope with the " more physical style " of some Prem. defenders. I fully understand why he didn't play on Monday, as players like Tomkins and Collins (who was lucky to escape a red card on a couple of occasions) are not unusual in some Prem. defences.

This. Plus with the amount of late goals/games which are decided 70mins onwards you surely want your best players to be able to be playing then.

Clasie played 67/180 Christmas mins. Not enough for a key player.

You want your best players on the pitch as often as possible, especially in the key positions and for the key moments.

Regular availability for 90mins and low liklihood of injury are great/required attributes for the best players. Clyne versus Cedric a great example of that as ability wise they are similar but one is physically miles superior and therefore more useful/valuable/highly rated/better, than the other.

christmas mins.

that's all

1)....I think you'll find that all those players you mentioned have had their share of injuries, but the key is their style of play. You didn't see Gerrard charging up the pitch every 5 minutes but he had good distrubtion and passing skills. Likewise Fabregas and Cazorla pick their times to make a run or create chances, and look good at it.

The late Alan Ball (R.I.P.)when still playing for Saints age 35, said he played the ball across the pitch "it was less distance to run" :D He had young players to run for him.

2)..Clasie and Ramirez have (reputedly) "good passing skills" - a necessary factor for midfielders, but lack physical strength in the same way as Wanyama or Romeu.

MLT said (in interview) that he didn't like to run, or train, and "as soon as they took the ball away - he lost interest". Given the ball... he could be world-class.

3) True. good skills are necessary, but I wonder if Clasie will be able to cope with the " more physical style " of some Prem. defenders. I fully understand why he didn't play on Monday, as players like Tomkins and Collins (who was lucky to escape a red card on a couple of occasions) are not unusual in some Prem. defences.

Clyne and Schneiderlin didn't need to be wrapped in cotton wool. What's the point in buying players who need protection from physical Premier League sides, unless they create, score or stops loads of goals in the few games they can play in? Anyway, let's hope the club has learned from its mistakes and buys stronger, fitter players in future.

Peter Reid when he had his brief spell with us in the twilight of his career knew his mobility and pace was also in its twilight, made no secret of the fact that he used Neil Maddison as his legs by passing the ball to Neil moving into position via the shortest route to receive the ball back for him then to repeat the process.