Going to games in the early 60's

spyinthesky

I was there that I think it was January 1964 my brother had an appendicitis and was rushed to the Royal South Hants Hospital we gave the ticket to the driver.

We went 2 0 with a fantastic Chivers left foot shot but as you say eventually lost 3 2 we of course had to wait 12 years to get revenge at Wembley.

I drove up the M3 that day absolutely confident that we were going to win and that of course is what happened

Left School in 1966. Earnings £4.11 shillings a week after 9 shillings national insurance contributions. Able to start supporting Saints. Train from Weymouth to Southampton 12 shillings return (60p) Admission price at Dell (first season in top division) also 12 shillings. Programme 9 old pence. Arrive at ground at 12,30 for gates opening at 1pm. (Had to arrive early to avoid needing a stool to stand on to see!!!!)

Love this post and reading about everyone's experiences. Football was so different in those days we had real players who could take a knock or two. My first game was round about 1957 was about 5 years old at the time, my uncles who were both stewards in the directors box had to look after me as my Mum was ill so they took me with them. I had to sit in the box and be quiet and behave. Sat next to this lady who held my hand so I couldn't run around, was told her name was Mrs Paine and that she was an ice skater. A few years later she was giving me lessons.

My first real memory was mid 60's queued up at the Dell from very early morning with my best friend, two young teenage girls who had mad crushes on George Best. We got right to the front of Milton Road, when the ground was filling up we were pushed and nudged by a few nippers to get out of the way but we stood our ground, not many young girls went to football at that time. Remember us losing the game 2-3 and and Best didn't score.

That would be Carol McKenzie who was Terry's first wife.

I was there that I think it was January 1964 my brother had an appendicitis and was rushed to the Royal South Hants Hospital we gave the ticket to the driver.

We went 2 0 with a fantastic Chivers left foot shot but as you say eventually lost 3 2 we of course had to wait 12 years to get revenge at Wembley.

I drove up the M3 that day absolutely confident that we were going to win and that of course is what happened

Not being funny but was the M3 around then?

Not being funny but was the M3 around then?

The M3 went from Sunbury to Popham in 1976 used to use it regularly dont recall when the rest was opened dont you remember the bus going from Southampton to Anderlect that way

Never saw Stanley Matthews play but I did see him at the Dell in 1963

When Stoke were promoted to Div 1 when there was a guard of honour for him at the start of the League game as he was injured he did not play

WE won 2 0

I can recall that one, too Think it was the best reception any opposing player ever had at The Dell..

.....mainly due to the generation that remembered him as the Wizard for the Dribble., his England career, and that legendary " Matthews Cup Final."

Yes it was 2-0..... both goals to Terry Paine, (who in his time - would also play at No.7 for England.)

Stoke were already promoted, and Saints finished a very creditable 11th ...(considering they were still bottom of the League after 10 games.)

:o:(

Love this post and reading about everyone's experiences. Football was so different in those days we had real players who could take a knock or two. My first game was round about 1957 was about 5 years old at the time, my uncles who were both stewards in the directors box had to look after me as my Mum was ill so they took me with them. I had to sit in the box and be quiet and behave. Sat next to this lady who held my hand so I couldn't run around, was told her name was Mrs Paine and that she was an ice skater. A few years later she was giving me lessons.

My first real memory was mid 60's queued up at the Dell from very early morning with my best friend, two young teenage girls who had mad crushes on George Best. We got right to the front of Milton Road, when the ground was filling up we were pushed and nudged by a few nippers to get out of the way but we stood our ground, not many young girls went to football at that time. Remember us losing the game 2-3 and and Best didn't score.

I always thought I was older than you Jan

I can recall that one, too Think it was the best reception any opposing player ever had at The Dell..

.....mainly due to the generation that remembered him as the Wizard for the Dribble., his England career, and that legendary " Matthews Cup Final."

Yes it was 2-0..... both goals to Terry Paine, (who in his time - would also play at No.7 for England.)

Stoke were already promoted, and Saints finished a very creditable 11th ...(considering they were still bottom of the League after 10 games.)

Saw game Stan was getting on but in an era when the only football on tv was the cup final, it was a privilege

up to the first promotion season i can always remember the "grown ups" saying the board did not want to go up

saw my first game in 1960 and starting going on my own, with mates, in 66 the promotion season

still rate the game and goal in that season against Charlton at the Dell as one of my big highlights in 50 plus years of support, most tension i have ever felt at a game.

happy days, football was affordable for all, players lived within the community all over the city, drunk in local pubs and were ordinary guys

Saw game Stan was getting on but in an era when the only football on tv was the cup final, it was a privilege

up to the first promotion season i can always remember the "grown ups" saying the board did not want to go up

saw my first game in 1960 and starting going on my own, with mates, in 66 the promotion season

still rate the game and goal in that season against Charlton at the Dell as one of my big highlights in 50 plus years of support, most tension i have ever felt at a game.

happy days, football was affordable for all, players lived within the community all over the city, drunk in local pubs and were ordinary guys

Yes Chivers to Paine I think at the Archers Road End have a feeling Billy Bonds was playing for Charlton that day and was outstanding

Yes Chivers to Paine I think at the Archers Road End have a feeling Billy Bonds was playing for Charlton that day and was outstanding

Interesting I was in the lower Chocolate Box that day and when Martin Chivers got hold of the ball on the right wing, I was fairly certain the ball was over the line but he went onto to cross for Terry Paine to score.

If we had drawn that game we would probably not have been promoted and where we would be now?

Interesting I was in the lower Chocolate Box that day and when Martin Chivers got hold of the ball on the right wing, I was fairly certain the ball was over the line but he went onto to cross for Terry Paine to score.

If we had drawn that game we would probably not have been promoted and where we would be now?

I remember it well - I was standing on the Milton terrace. The goal was in the last few minutes I seem to remember. Charlton came for a point and we really struggled to break them down.

Happy days!

The 1966 promotion season burns brightly in my mind

Went away to Norwich on the coach (Shamrock and Rambler - orange coaches. Offices next to the Bedford Place coach station)

Won 4-3

Bolton (by myself as we were away on half term holiday in the N west)

Won 3-2

Cardiff (coach with no heating - very cold. Trouble at the game. I got hit in the face with a hot pie thrown in to the crowd. Couldn't get the smell out of the new reefer jacket I had as a Christmas present) Won 5-3

Pompey

Won 5-2 (our reserve CF Norman Dean scored a hat trick)

Wolves (Saints about 10th at the time. Dave Webb made his debut at RB and scored with an overhead kick and we then went 12 games undefeated)

Drew 1-1

Bristol City (went down to Bristol on the Special train. Lots of toilet paper thrown out of the carriage windows going through the viaduct at Bath and then someone setting fire to it)

Won 1-0

Plymouth (as at Bristol lots of Saints fans there. No real segregation in those days. Bloke near us bottled after an argument. Not sure if the victim was a Saints fan)

Won 3-2

Leyton Orient (I organised a coach from school and think the party included our rather corpulent History master. Must have been at least 10,000 Saints fans at Brisbane Road. Big pitch invasion when we all thought the game had finished. Remember a copper trying to stem the tide and got trampled on. However still a few minutes to play and we all had to return to the terraces

so I went to 8 away League games and didn't see us lose once

We also went to Orient earlier in the season but the game was cancelled due to a waterlogged pitch and our coach driver took us to Griffin park to see Brentford lose to Hull in a 3rd Division fixture

A gang of us also went up to Hull for the FA Cup 3rd Rd tie travelling overnight on a Special Train form the old Docks station. Really cold and foggy and we lost 1-0 against a decent Hull side

Didn't arrive home until the early hours of Sunday morning and I have to be up at 0700 to do my Sunday paper round in the pouring rain

Happy Days!!!

i also went to a few of those games,

Cardiff, by car. It was bloody freezing and I shivered the whole game!

Pompey, enjoyed that!

Wolves, Webb with the overhead.

Bristol City, went by train, nasty crowd there trying to cause trouble?

Last one and most memorable, Orient! Terry Paine was mobbed at the end.

Great days!