Blasphemy and Duck Rape

Yorkshire Saint

You have taken that out of the context it was written in... i.e. towards goldfish... not god. I was using the religious terms for belief/knowledge of ownership of goldfish.

Same principle. You've said that you are an agnostic theist because you believe it could be possible. You have also said if you are 'not sure' you don't believe and are therefore an atheist.

Will you concede that belief is therefore not a binary choice and there is a third option other than believe/disbelieve?

I have not predetermined the outcome. I used the evidence from the book and made a summary. I'm sure you disagree with that summary and I'd like to know what about it you disagree with?

The reason I’m holding off fully answering the question is because:

1. It would be an essay

2. Would mean me entering into a debate I don’t have the time for

3. Unlike most of the UK population, I’m still neck deep in work and aren’t being paid by the government to have an extended holiday.

4. Because of 3, I can’t do 1 & 2

Trouble is, you say you’ve read the bible, but you haven’t understood it. For example, your last cherry picking was about God killing the first born males in Egypt. But what you failed to see was that they were holding the Jews captive over a long period and had been warned a number of times to release them or face the consequences.

Why didn’t you talk about the slavery of the Jews leading up to the Passover?

Same principle. You've said that you are an agnostic theist because you believe it could be possible. You have also said if you are 'not sure' you don't believe and are therefore an atheist.

Agnostic theist in regard to you owning a goldfish = I think it is possible you could own a goldfish, but I don't know you own a goldfish

Will you concede that belief is therefore not a binary choice and there is a third option other than believe/disbelieve?

Belief is binary, you either believe or you don't.

You can be an agnostic believer or an agnostic unbeliever.

The reason I’m holding off fully answering the question is because:

1. It would be an essay

2. Would mean me entering into a debate I don’t have the time for

3. Unlike most of the UK population, I’m still neck deep in work and aren’t being paid by the government to have an extended holiday.

4. Because of 3, I can’t do 1 & 2

A quick summary of why my summary is wrong with do. You had time enough to write this reply and in that time you could have answered it.

Trouble is, you say you’ve read the bible, but you haven’t understood it. For example, your last cherry picking was about God killing the first born males in Egypt. But what you failed to see was that they were holding the Jews captive over a long period and had been warned a number of times to release them or face the consequences.

What did the Egyptian babies do that warranted death? How can a god be 100% kind and loving if he kills babies?

Also... there is 0% archaeological evidence Jews where ever held as slaves as described in the Bible.

Why didn’t you talk about the slavery of the Jews leading up to the Passover?

Why is that relevant? As I just said, there is no archaeological evidence the Jews were held as slaves. The Bible gives instructions for Jews on who they can own as slaves, so the god of the Bible clearly thinks slavery is ok for the Jews to do.

It will be outlawed in the no too distant future.

How have you come to that conclusion?

Anyway, as you keep banging on about answering questions “would you ban Christianity or make it punishable if you could”?

I wouldn't ban it, but it is harmful to society to believe its moral system and teachings. Do you think we should follow the 10 commandments? One of them says disobedient children should be stoned to death? Should we ignore that commandment?

Agnostic theist in regard to you owning a goldfish = I think it is possible you could own a goldfish, but I don't know you own a goldfish

Belief is binary, you either believe or you don't.

You can be an agnostic believer or an agnostic unbeliever.

That makes no sense. Agnostic literally means you are neither a believer nor a nonbeliever.

You can be atheist, agnostic or theist. There are (at least) three options.

That makes no sense. Agnostic literally means you are neither a believer nor a nonbeliever.

Agnosticism concerns knowledge... not belief

You can be atheist, agnostic or theist. There are (at least) three options.

Atheist & theism concerns belief

Agnosticism and gnostism concerns knowledge

How have you come to that conclusion?

I wouldn't ban it, but it is harmful to society to believe its moral system and teachings. Do you think we should follow the 10 commandments? One of them says disobedient children should be stoned to death? Should we ignore that commandment?

Here we go again...

Do the 10 commandments say thou shalt not murder? Yes

Therefore, as I keep on saying, you simply don’t get it. This is why people stop responding to you.

A quick summary of why my summary is wrong with do. You had time enough to write this reply and in that time you could have answered it.

What did the Egyptian babies do that warranted death? How can a god be 100% kind and loving if he kills babies?

Also... there is 0% archaeological evidence Jews where ever held as slaves as described in the Bible.

Why is that relevant? As I just said, there is no archaeological evidence the Jews were held as slaves. The Bible gives instructions for Jews on who they can own as slaves, so the god of the Bible clearly thinks slavery is ok for the Jews to do.

Actually, a quick summary won’t really do because people like you (as you’ve proved over and over again) are never satisfied

Here we go again...

Do the 10 commandments say thou shalt not murder? Yes

Therefore, as I keep on saying, you simply don’t get it. This is why people stop responding to you.

You did not answer the question...

Do you think we should follow the 10 commandments? One of them says disobedient children should be stoned to death? Should we ignore that commandment?

Because of this!

You've had enough time for numerous other answers!

I can understand why you might want to avoid attempting to explain how a 100% kind and loving god can drown huge numbers of people. The babies he drowned did nothing wrong, he committed a genocide of the global population because he threw a fit because his creation went wrong, strange that happened as he is supposed to be all knowing and should have known it would **** up. Pretty inept at being a god!

I believe it is possible he might have a goldfish, because we have evidence that people own goldfish. I do not believe he owns a goldfish and I do not know that he owns a goldfish.

And if you go to his house and see his goldfish ?

You are doing an excellent job of ignoring those bits of questions that might serve to prove you are misguided.

You've had enough time for numerous other answers!

I can understand why you might want to avoid attempting to explain how a 100% kind and loving god can drown huge numbers of people. The babies he drowned did nothing wrong, he committed a genocide of the global population because he threw a fit because his creation went wrong, strange that happened as he is supposed to be all knowing and should have known it would **** up. Pretty inept at being a god!

They took a grand total of 3 minutes to write.

To explain what I need to, to someone like you would take a damn sight longer than that.

I take it back, you really are boring and f*****g man baby at that.

How does that prove I'm misguided?

Why not answer the question concerning your gaining the empirical evidence that Lighthouse has a goldfish, and that therefore your belief in the possibilty is supplanted by your newly acquired knowledge of it's existence. At this point your assertion that knowledge is a subset of belief is disproved.

Why not answer the question concerning your gaining the empirical evidence that Lighthouse has a goldfish, and that therefore your belief in the possibilty is supplanted by your newly acquired knowledge of it's existence. At this point your assertion that knowledge is a subset of belief is disproved.

I'm puzzled why you think beliefs can't be supported by evidence.

Hit me with your best, most compelling piece of evidence why I should believe in the Christian god rather than any of the other thousands of gods that litter human history.

Because he is calling you and loves you Matthew

And he made toasters which have to admit is genius for when a loaf is past its best.

Hit me with your best, most compelling piece of evidence why I should believe in the Christian god rather than any of the other thousands of gods that litter human history.

What's the point given that you'd refuse to believe the existence of a goldfish if you saw it.

What's the point given that you'd refuse to believe the existence of a goldfish if you saw it.

When did I say that? You are now making up things you think I've said. :mcinnes:

I believe it is possible Lighthouse might have a pet goldfish and if I went to his house and saw his pet goldfish I'd then have knowledge of him having pet goldfish.

When did I say that? You are now making up things you think I've said. :mcinnes:

I believe it is possible Lighthouse might have a pet goldfish and if I went to his house and saw his pet goldfish I'd then have knowledge of him having pet goldfish.

It’s ok to admit you don’t comprehend faith.

Yeah cos you were asking seriously

I was, Christians claim god wants everyone to know his message. If someone provides me with compelling evidence the Christian god exists and manifests in reality I will believe in him. So... what do you have in the way of evidence apart from an old man made book?

I'm puzzled why you think beliefs can't be supported by evidence.

Belief can be reinforced by evidence, but that is dependent on an individual's acceptance of that 'evidence'. If a strongly religious individual accepts their Holy scripture as incontrovertable truth, perhaps the direct Word of God, then that scripture serves as evidence to validate their belief. However, for many other people, as you have demonstrated on this thread, the evidence is viewed as weak / spurious / nebulous. In such circumstances the 'knowledge' is conditional.

In the case of the goldfish, once the existence of the fish has been demonstrably proven, the knowledge is incontravertable, ( except for pedantic whataboutery ).

Belief can be reinforced by evidence, but that is dependent on an individual's acceptance of that 'evidence'. If a strongly religious individual accepts their Holy scripture as incontrovertable truth, perhaps the direct Word of God, then that scripture serves as evidence to validate their belief. However, for many other people, as you have demonstrated on this thread, the evidence is viewed as weak / spurious / nebulous. In such circumstances the 'knowledge' is conditional.

In the case of the goldfish, once the existence of the fish has been demonstrably proven, the knowledge is incontravertable, ( except for pedantic whataboutery ).

Good, we agree... so what is your contention?

Faith is the excuse people give if they don't have good evidence, if you had good evidence you would not need faith... you'd use the evidence instead! It is irrational and gullible to believe things without evidence.

At the start of a new football season do you believe that Southampton will retain their place in the Premier League, or do you know they will ?

Good, we agree... so what is your contention?

My contention is that your contention, ( knowledge is a subset of belief ), is false. ( And again, congratulations on your unswerving ability to totally ignore the rest of my post, and it's context ).

At the start of a new football season do you believe that Southampton will retain their place in the Premier League, or do you know they will ?

You can use evidence of previous seasons, the strength of Saints squad and other club's squads to form an opinion. You would then have a belief supported by evidence.

My contention is that your contention, ( knowledge is a subset of belief ), is false. ( And again, congratulations on your unswerving ability to totally ignore the rest of my post, and it's context ).

Beliefs can be supported by evidence and knowledge. As I outlined in post #1304. That makes them a subset.

Beliefs can be supported by evidence and knowledge. As I outlined in post #1304. That makes them a subset.

Belief is the acceptance of a truth without the substantiation of evidence, and without the need for knowledge of demonstrable facts.

The question has been in the thread for 5 days. Will you give it a go when you have finished work then?

You’ve consistently and militantly said that you don’t believe there’s any evidence to support the bible.

So what’s the point in me wasting my time. However, WHEN I CAN BE BOTHERED, I’ll dig out a video or 2 of someone explaining the existence of God much better than I can.

You’ve consistently and militantly said that you don’t believe there’s any evidence to support the bible.

No I haven't. I may have said I haven't seen any evidence that supports the Bible, but that is not the same thing.

If you can explain how a global flood that killed millions is the act of a 100% kind and loving god I'd love to hear it. The babies he killed in that story were entirely innocent and did not deserve death. It is not kind and loving to kill them.

I answered this in post #1231

I believe it is possible he could have a pet goldfish... but I do not know that he has one.

Knowledge is a subset of belief.

What a cop out. You haven’t got the grace to say that you don't know or couldn't possibly know.

Next time you re-open a debate demanding answers to questions, have a crack at giving honest answers yourself mate.

To be fair to MLG, he did say the 'he does not know that he has one'....

To be fair to MLG, he did say the 'he does not know that he has one'....

That much is obvious, the original question was not about knowledge. I asked if he believed I had a goldfish, he said he believed it is possible, which isn’t an answer. We know for certain that it’s possible I have a goldfish, that isn’t his belief.

What he is refusing to admit is that he doesn’t have a belief either way and is therefore neither theist nor atheist, in this context.

That much is obvious, the original question was not about knowledge. I asked if he believed I had a goldfish, he said he believed it is possible, which isn’t an answer. We know for certain that it’s possible I have a goldfish, that isn’t his belief.

What he is refusing to admit is that he doesn’t have a belief either way and is therefore neither theist nor atheist, in this context.

In that context I would be a agnostic theist in the top right of the diagram. I believe it is possible, but don't know it is true.

06n3V.gif

• Lighthouse changed the title to Blasphemy and Duck Rape