European pressing stats - Liverpool, Bayern Munich... Southampton

Matthew Le God

Since the Leicester thrashing, Hasenhuttl has turned Saints into a counter pressing team high up the pitch in his 4222 system. Not really a counter attacking team as the BBC labelled Saints yesterday. Counter pressing high up the pitch and sitting deep and counter attacking are too very different things.

Saints =  'Liverpool on a budget'

Since the November international break when Ralph had a rethink about tactics...

It needed a good manager like Pochettino & Koeman to get us firing, we have that again under Hasenhuttl after the disasters of Mark Hughes and Pellegrino. For 2019/20 if we had played in the current formation & counter pressing style for the entire season rather than just since the 9-0 disaster then I think we'd be close to Wolves in terms of points. 

Take this into next season, sort out the home form and it could be a very exciting season!

Edited by Matthew Le God

Interesting. For periods yesterday I suspect that our Final Third Pressure stats fell right back as we were under the cosh. Reliant on counter attacks then. First half was a much better reflection of our pressing. Do you know what the y-axis - overall success rate of pressure - means? Presumably regaining possession in the final third or something - not wins!

The commentators said that they don't believe Man City have ever been dispossessed as much as they were yesterday, we were on it from min 1 to min 95.

I agree that we were pushed back 2nd half, but first half it was a really good advertisement of the press and how to execute it well against a proper tika-taka style team. 

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

The commentators said that they don't believe Man City have ever been dispossessed as much as they were yesterday, we were on it from min 1 to min 95.

I had a couple of mates who phoned me today saying that’s what amazed them the most.

10 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

And that was confirmed by Newcastle's first half performance yesterday, where they stood off and were punished. They came out second half having been told to challenge for the ball. Even so, City's superiority was clear.

It was just one of those games for us where they couldn't put the ball in the net, another day they would have had at least 3 with the chances we presented them......