Striker comparisons (split)

TWar

1 minute ago, Chez said:

I thought it was months? I hoped for more from him today, but both strikers were ineffective. A lot of that has to do with the service provided to them, which wasn't always good.

He's scored 9 in 32, Che 8 in 27. Armstrong 2 in 25. Long 2 in 15.

Let's hope one of those or Tella can step up next week against Chelsea.

It's somewhat generous to include goals from an 8-0 battering of drastically inferior opposition. In the league Che is definitely outperforming him and Che hasn't been great either.

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

It's somewhat generous to include goals from an 8-0 battering of drastically inferior opposition. In the league Che is definitely outperforming him and Che hasn't been great either.

The kid is 20 years old. The more senior players need to step the fuck up so he doesn't have to carry so much of the load.

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

The kid is 20 years old. The more senior players need to step the fuck up so he doesn't have to carry so much of the load.

Yeah yes young, but we are a competitive team we need to play players who help us win games and right now he isn't. It's all very well saying he will improve but if we want to win games he has to improve now. None in 9, three in 17 isn't good enough.

Edited by TWar

5 minutes ago, TWar said:

Who is a big club more likely to buy? Che / Armstrong or Broja? 

Broja and his pace / ability to run in behind  essentially enable Che to have the space to perform like his has done. 

1 minute ago, Dman said:

Agree he wasn’t Great today or for past few games to be honest. 

Hes still miles better than Armstrong or any other alternative though, who’s shite, so simply has to start (unless we’re gonna Chuck long up there). 

In fairness to him and Che, we’ve been off the boil for the past 4 or 5 games in general. Not really creating enough. Funny enough, the only game I can really remember us having 2 or 3 clear cut chances of which we should have scored was City, which Armstrong blundered. 

The fact that Armstrong is getting chances whereas it's easy to forget Broja is on the pitch maybe suggest which should start. Other players have been getting chances so it's not like we aren't making enough, it's just Broja is a complete non entity.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Dman said:

Who is a big club more likely to buy? Che / Armstrong or Broja? 

Broja and his pace / ability to run in behind  essentially enable Che to have the space to perform like his has done. 

Neither is good enough for a big club.

5 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

We’re pretty much a 1 man team in terms of threat going forward. If teams can single out Broja then we don’t have a great deal else left. Much more needed from the midfield. 

Just now, TWar said:

Neither is good enough for a big club.

Big comment. One I suspect I’ll be laughing at you in a year. 

Broja would absolutely thrive at a bigger club with better midfielders. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dman said:

We’re pretty much a 1 man team in terms of threat going forward. If teams can single out Broja then we don’t have a great deal else left. Much more needed from the midfield. 

We are a one man team attacking and that man is our 3rd top scorer? How does that work?

1 minute ago, TWar said:

The fact that Armstrong is getting chances whereas it's easy to forget Broja is on the pitch maybe suggest which should start. Other players have been getting chances so it's not like we aren't making enough, it's just Broja is a complete non entity.

It’s just your agenda against a 20 year old lad, so you look for the negatives, because you made a stupid comment at the start of the season. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dman said:

He's far far to limited. No big club wants a striker who can't pass, gets lost against average opposition, and has dry spells like Broja has.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Dman said:

It’s just your agenda against a 20 year old lad, so you look for the negatives, because you made a stupid comment at the start of the season. 

When a striker has done fuck all in 9 games it's not hard to find negatives.

3 minutes ago, TWar said:

We are a one man team attacking and that man is our 3rd top scorer? How does that work?

Play a game of football. Then play a game with a decent stand out player. 

Watch the space they give the less talented. 

until you’ve played a game, it’s a pointless debate. 

Edited by Dman

2 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

This season does matter though. There’s prestige for finishing higher up in the league, and there’s over £2m a place, both of which are very important come summer.

Ralph is to be trusted, and he clearly doesn’t like something about Armstrong. Same with Redmond. I don’t think we’ll sign Broja, I’m not sure we really want to (we made the right noises but know we’ve not really got a chance). Dropping Broja for either of those two, fine, not sure it tells Ralph much more than he already knows.

I hope Armstrong comes good, when he’s on it he looked like he’s got something about him. He just looks a bit startled by the lights too often. Almost seems to me he’d be better playing alongside a Pelle or Lambert type of striker.

I think Armstrong needs to get confidence and play his way into form. Given Broja might as well not be on the pitch at the moment as he barely gets a touch might as well give him a go.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dman said:

until you’ve played a game, it’s a pointless debate. 

And we're back. Easy way to admit you are wrong. How long does this dry spell have to last before you will admit he is just not as good as you first thought?

Edited by TWar
  • Haha 1

Just now, TWar said:

And we're back. Easy way to admit you are wrong. How long does this dry spell have to last before you will admit he is just not as good as you first thought.

He’s been poor for the past 3 or 4 games. As has everyone. 

Hes 20 years old, has everything physically to become a top class player. 

it’s a never ending pointless debate. You’ve clearly got a massive agenda and a desperation to prove your right. You won’t be, but your consistent triad of him is tedious. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TWar said:

I think Armstrong needs to get confidence and play his way into form. Given Broja might as well not be on the pitch at the moment as he barely gets a touch might as well give him a go.

Well that’s just a silly statement, saying we’d be just as well with ten men than with Broja.

Edited by The Kraken

Just now, Dman said:

He’s been poor for the past 3 or 4 games. As has everyone. 

Hes 20 years old, has everything physically to become a top class player. 

it’s a never ending pointless debate. You’ve clearly got a massive agenda and a desperation to prove your right. You won’t be, but your consistent triad of him is tedious. 

Is 3 goals in 17 games enough?

Just now, The Kraken said:

Well that’s just a silly statement, saying we’d be just as well with ten men that with Broja.

No, I think we'd do just as well with any of our other forwards as Broja has had barely any touches let alone goals.

18 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Ralph clearly doesn't fancy AA or Redmond right now. I wonder if they are not showing enough in training. I don't like some of the way that AA has been used though. IMO Watford was a perfect game to help him regain confidence but instead the ineffective Smallbone was preferred and then AA was thrown into the City game while bereft of any confidence or form.

To be honest, I think both are decent championship players but not good enough for the premier league, where the pace of the game is that bit quicker. 

I don’t think either have speed of thought to  succeed at this level if I’m honest and everyone always uses the ‘confidence card’. It’s happened for Redmond for years, I’d be amazed if the same doesn’t for Armstrong as well. 

Just now, Dman said:

To be honest, I think both are decent championship players but not good enough for the premier league, where the pace of the game is that bit quicker. 

I don’t think either have speed of thought to  succeed at this level if I’m honest and everyone always uses the ‘confidence card’. It’s happened for Redmond for years, I’d be amazed if the same doesn’t for Armstrong as well. 

I remember you saying exactly the same things about Adams, our league top scorer.

1 minute ago, TWar said:

Is 3 goals in 17 games enough?

Enough for what? 

Lukaku has scored 5 of 20 this season. Is he good enough for us? 

Messi has 2 in 18, what about him? Is he good enough? 

I remember you saying exactly the same things about Adams, our league top scorer.

And still missing sitters each week. 

Adams is physically bigger than Armstrong though, so has a bit more about him. Other than goals, what’s Armstrong offering? I’ll tell you what.. fuck all, which is why he doesn’t get selected. 

Edited by Dman

3 minutes ago, TWar said:

No, I think we'd do just as well with any of our other forwards as Broja has had barely any touches let alone goals.

Ok, I think you’re saying we’d be no worse off with our other strikers in place of Broja. Can’t argue that we’re in a very poor run. 

I’m content to abide with Ralph’s decisions on it. We’re extremely limited with options so we are where we are. I’d like to give Armstrong a proper chance, would be good to see him prove himself. Don’t think it’ll happen this season though, if anything Armstrong is going the other way in the pecking order, and Long / Tella are just not the answer either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dman said:

Enough for what? 

Lukaku has scored 5 of 20 this season. Is he good enough for us? 

Messi has 2 in 18, what about him? Is he good enough? 

Enough for a £40m forward or whatever nonsense you were touting?

Or more pressingly, enough for us? Do we want a forward who has two prem goals since December. I mean all season he had 6 league goals in 26 games. Is this a good enough showing to spend big money on him? Not for me. Get Dennis in first, cheaper and over double the goal contributions. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dman said:

And still missing sitters each week. 

Adams is physically bigger than Armstrong though, so has a bit more about him. Other than goals, what’s Armstrong offering? I’ll tell you what.. fuck all, which is why he doesn’t get selected. 

Better to get chances and miss them than to not even get a sniff.

Armstrong is lightning fast and two footed. He's being eased in like Adams was behind Long. He will come good for us I still think.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TWar said:

Enough for a £40m forward or whatever nonsense you were touting?

Or more pressingly, enough for us? Do we want a forward who has two prem goals since December. I mean all season he had 6 league goals in 26 games. Is this a good enough showing to spend big money on him? Not for me. Get Dennis in first, cheaper and over double the goal contributions. 

Quite clearly, with Broja, your paying for potential. 

I know you have cognitive Inability and unable to process anything that isn’t black and white on a spreadsheet, so I wouldn’t expect you to understand. 

I think it’s pretty obvious we won’t sign Broja, so next season will be telling. I’ll leave it at that. 

1 minute ago, Dman said:

Quite clearly, with Broja, your paying for potential. 

I know you have cognitive Inability and unable to process anything that isn’t black and white on a spreadsheet, so I wouldn’t expect you to understand. 

I think it’s pretty obvious we won’t sign Broja, so next season will be telling. I’ll leave it at that. 

This season he has fewer goals per minute played than Obafemi averaged with us in the league. Maybe you've overrated his potential 

• Haha 1

This season he has fewer goals per minute played than Obafemi averaged with us in the league. Maybe you've overrated his potential 

https://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/spain-coach-luis-enrique-a-fan-of-southampton-striker-broja-4409281

And current boss of Spain, and ex Barca manager Luis Enrique, it seems. (Plus many other pundits, managers and generally everyone). 

Of course, you know better though, don’t you 😂😂😂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dman said:

https://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/spain-coach-luis-enrique-a-fan-of-southampton-striker-broja-4409281

And current boss of Spain, and ex Barca manager Luis Enrique, it seems. (Plus many other pundits, managers and generally everyone). 

Of course, you know better though, don’t you 😂😂😂

Those complements are just as useful as goals, who cares he hasn't scored in 9, a manager said nice things about him. Sign him up for life.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Christ, you two are just relentless.

At what point do you just go "yeah, maybe you've got a point" and just leave it at that? 

When they both reach their 9th birthday?

angry tv show GIF by CBBC

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

At what point do you just go "yeah, maybe you've got a point" and just leave it at that? 

In fairness, I agree that he’s been pretty average for the past 4/5 games. As has pretty much everyone. 

The trouble is, he has an agenda against Broja and pinpoints him every game to try and justify his ridiculous comment about Armstrong having a higher ceiling.. which quite clearly is absolutely fucking nonsense. 

I dont really know what his point is, but he clearly doesn’t rate (or does but just simply doesn’t want to admit it) Broja, which he clearly doesn’t have a point about. 

The again, he does like to go against the grain to try and prove that he has far greater knowledge than everyone else. 

12 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

All I did was say that as a team struggling for goals, our starting striker being on a 9 game goal drought is probably not helping. Any other year this would be half the comments in the postmatch thread but Broja seems to be uncriticisable without a load of kickback.

It's like people on here wildly overrated him and when you point out he's actually had a bang average season it's unfair because he's young. People never seemed to have that complaint about Obafemi who had more goals per 90 than Broja puts up by a good margin.

46 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Every time I see a post from TWar I’m reminded of that quote about it being better to have everyone think you’re an idiot than opening your mouth to confirm it.

In what way does it make me an idiot to say Broja is underperforming, he very obviously is?

His return hasn't been good enough, and its not like he's missing big chances and the goal is just round the corner. He doesn't even get chances in a lot of games.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Dman said:

True, we have regressed a bit over recent games and strikers are feeding off scraps again. The build up play has become slow and predictable.

3 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

True, we have regressed a bit over recent games and strikers are feeding off scraps again. The build up play has become slow and predictable.

The strikers aren't feeding off scraps though. Adams is getting loads of chances. As a team our xG was over 2 yesterday. We are providing things to the forward getting in good positions, just not the one who seems to be incapable of sheading his marker and getting free in good areas.

5 minutes ago, TWar said:

The strikers aren't feeding off scraps though. Adams is getting loads of chances. As a team our xG was over 2 yesterday. We are providing things to the forward getting in good positions, just not the one who seems to be incapable of sheading his marker and getting free in good areas.

He is a bit wasteful but the quality of opportunities he / they are getting is poor in my humble opinion. There was only a brief period in yesterdays game where we attacked with any pace or incisiveness, which lead to our goal.

10 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

He is a bit wasteful but the quality of opportunities he / they are getting is poor in my humble opinion. There was only a brief period in yesterdays game where we attacked with any pace or incisiveness, which lead to our goal.

Che is wasteful, incredibly so, but atleast he has something to waste. When people called his uptick in form it was because of the sheer number of chances he was getting. Broja isn't getting chances. For me that's a great deal more concerning because he just isn't involved at all.

If that was due to no one getting chances owing to a poor midfield there that'd be fair enough but Che, Elyounoussi, Stu and even Arma always end up with atleast one or two good chances or shots in the box, Broja doesn't at all.

Edited by TWar

1 minute ago, TWar said:

Che is wasteful, incredibly so, but atleast he has something to waste. When people called his uptick in form it was because of the sheer number of chances he was getting. Broja isn't getting chances. For me that's a great deal more concerning because he just isn't involved at all.

If that was due to no one getting chances owing to a poor midfield there that'd be fair enough but Che, Elyounoussi, Armstrong always end up with atleast one or two good chances or shots in the box, Broja doesn't at all.

I’m not disputing Borja is having a dip, but the whole team is, 1 point from 12 isn’t all on him.  During our good run we had a highly functioning midfield, that is not so currently. My belief is that Elyonoussi has seriously dropped off, but we do not have anything in the way of an adequate replacement. 

7 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I’m not disputing Borja is having a dip, but the whole team is, 1 point from 12 isn’t all on him.  During our good run we had a highly functioning midfield, that is not so currently. My belief is that Elyonoussi has seriously dropped off, but we do not have anything in the way of an adequate replacement. 

Thing is, Broja was on a dip before the team dipped. He hasn't scored in 9 but we've only been poor for 5 games. We were excellent from Christmas to the beginning of March, in which time he got 3 goals in 13 games so blaming his drop in form on a whole team drop in for is inaccurate imo.

Agree Elyounoussi has fallen away too. To a lesser extent than Broja though in my opinion. 

Edited by TWar
  • Haha 1